[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SYSTEMD HATE GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: ASSHOLE.jpg (137 KB, 1280x931) Image search: [Google]
ASSHOLE.jpg
137 KB, 1280x931
>be me
>3 day old centos 7 install, gnome desktop with gnome applications
>do nothing but update installed packages
>boot today to start configuring it
>locks at boot

[K[[0m[31m*     [0m] A start job is running for udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization (1min 58s / 3min)
[K[[1;31m*[0m[31m* [0m] A start job is running for udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization (1min 58s / 3min)
[K[[31m*[1;31m*[0m[31m* [0m] A start job is running for udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization (1min 59s / 3min)
[K[ [31m*[1;31m*[0m[31m* [0m] A start job is running for udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization (1min 59s / 3min)
[K[ [31m*[1;31m*[0m[31m* [0m] A start job is running for udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization (2min / 3min)
[K[[1;31mFAILED[0m] Failed to start udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1211442

Lennart Poettering - "If it's gone I guess we can close the bug. Feel free to reopen it if it reappears."

A stock install of CentOS 7 which is supposed to be the most widely supported and most stable Linux that there is magically stopped booting because of udev/systemd.

That's my ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with systemd and poetteringcode fucking my shit up.
>>
>he fell for the meme
>>
Complexity is the bane of developers and the boon of the users

But of course, not the incompetent, unpaid volunteer developers that have nothing to lose except brownie points. Why the fuck should they handle complexity properly?

>Open sores

If you want GOOD open source software and it's clear it's a minor component and not something so important it has corporations working on it (like the kernel), you have to stick to shit that's simple, because the hobbyist devs are always going to be too lazy and stupid to deal with anything larger and more complex than system V's vi without royally fucking up
>>
Well the system won't even boot now.

At least I know now to ever touch a distro with systemd again. What I'm worried about is all the non-systemd components that poettering has fucked with, namely udev.
>>
>>52377686
There's a reason I stuck to 6.6.
>>
>>52377686
Werks for me
>>
>>52377686
>CentOS
>desktop
you asked for it
>>
File: 1329780620646.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1329780620646.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>mfw writing service unit files is so easy I almost find myself liking systemd
>>
>>52377984
It's an IBM x3650 that I got from work.

You get systemd with CentOS 7 even with a completely minimal install.
>>
install *BSD
>>
>tfw the d in systemd is for destruction
>>
>>52378399
Yup, that's what I'm doing. Hopefully FreeBSD doesn't have any systemd-tier liability code.

It's almost unbelievable that a fresh install of CentOS 7 would just fail like that (due to Poetteringcode). I did verify the media during install and it was detected as good.
>>
>>52377686
>>be me

be >>./b/

FTFY
>>
>systemd started using "predictable" network interface names
>they're way less predictable than before in 99% of cases
>all of their "use cases" in which their system does it better could have been fixed with udev rules
>the fact that nobody actually did that outside of corner cases tells you nobody fucking cares
>>
>>52377857

udev has been forked for use in non systemd systems. I think the proper fork is uedev.
>>
>>52378433

slackware just got a version number bump to 14.2 in the slackware-current log. Hopefully a new release is around the corner. No systemd there.

If this systemd shit spreads so far I can't run mozilla or kde apps or libreoffice or slackware without it, I'll be following right behind you to a bsd.
>>
>>52378531
>mozilla
kek, I can totally see it with the shit they've been pulling lately
>>
File: 1413934357229.jpg (15 KB, 430x307) Image search: [Google]
1413934357229.jpg
15 KB, 430x307
>Complains about systemd not being muh unix way
>Probably uses ZFS which is a massive bloated as fuck layering violation that needs a gig of ram minimum not to shit the bed
Explain yourself.
>>
>>52378622
I didn't even get a chance to add the EPEL repo and install ZFS. The system shit the bed thanks to poettering's udev before I even got that far.

The difference between ZFS and systemd is that people aren't having giant fucking problems with ZFS. If ZFS was failing like systemd, you'd see everyone bitching about ZFS fucking up and wiping out their data.

(ZFS also uses a loooot more than 1gb of ram)
>>
>>52377686
>console doesn't even support ANSI color codes
You have much bigger problems than systemd, anon.
>>
>>52377686
Whats your point?
We all knew that will cause problems
>>
>>52378759
We all knew that WHAT would cause problems?

Did I do something wrong?
>>
>>52378693
Consoles supporting ANSI color codes are a problem

Why should I waste my precious bandwidth on bytes and bytes of rice? That's worse than goddamn ncurses window refreshing. Not everyone lives 10 feet away from the datacenter, anon. Some of us can't even use vim because that terminal shit is so inefficient, and have to resort to emacs+tramp instead, because it's better than the fuck that is sshfs.
>>
>>52377686
yes this is the real issue I have with poettering: he just says "not a bug"/"WON'T FIX" and closes bug reports left and right

for some reason political correctness and incompetency go hand-in-hand. see also subversion.
>>
>I have a problem with systemd

Thread discarded.
>>
>Status: CLOSED WORKSFORME

Wow. They actually made a status for "works on my machine"

How much less self-aware can one get?
>>
>>52377686

Can someone explain why you all hate SYSTEMD so much?
I'v used linux in the past but not enough to hate under the hood stuff.
>>
>I don't like systemd
>I'm a fucking retard
>>
>>52378787
underraped post
>>
>>52378865
udev decided I shouldn't use CentOS 7 for my home file server. It did this by making my system stop booting (see log in OP). So I guess in this case it wasn't strictly systemd, but it was still Poetteringcode - he grabbed udev and corrupted it and absorbed it into systemd.
>>
>>52378865
People don't like Pottering's personality so they call his software shit.
>>
>>52378>>52378865
The only red reason people don't like it is autism
>>52378896
Cry more
>>
>>52378922
Why not use a VM or dedicated file server?
>>
>>52378942
The only reason I don't like it is because I've used openrc.
>>
>>52378944
My original plan was CentOS 7 with zfs, rtorrent, rutorrent, screen and to run a home DNS server on it.

You know, some basic things you'd consider a stable distro like CentOS 7 to be able to handle.

I didn't even get to add any third party repos or packages before I got a torpedo-ed system.

Hardware in the server is fine according to the diag panel and an IBM system X diagnostics disc.
>>
>>52378973
The only reason you don't like it is because you're a faggot
>>
File: 1332490002332.jpg (584 KB, 740x740) Image search: [Google]
1332490002332.jpg
584 KB, 740x740
>>52378998
>zfs, rtorrent, rutorrent, screen and to run a home DNS
>>
>>52378998
I keep forgetting linux can do all of that. Why not just use debian? I don't really do torrents but it works for me as a file server and DNS. Or does debian also have a SYSTEMD problem?
>>
>>52378787
Do you exclusively use monochrome photos because "bytes and bytes of rice"?

Color provides a valuable visual cue for humans, and if using literally single digits of extra bytes ticks you off, maybe you should go back to pen and paper.
>>
reminder to run Void Linux, the only true distro for lennart haters
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.