[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Portable Soldering Iron
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 81toJDWxsQL._SX522_.jpg (15 KB, 522x329) Image search: [Google]
81toJDWxsQL._SX522_.jpg
15 KB, 522x329
Hey guys, I'm looking for a good battery operated soldering iron to add to my messenger bag, anybody have recommendations?

I know most people recommend butane for portable soldering irons, but it really feels weird to me to have a flame heating the tip. If you can get one that's powered by like a single 18650 battery, I'd love it.
>>
>>52376830
Doubt it, you need to make a lot of heat to melt solder, an 18650 or any similar sized battery won't be able to do that well. Maybe a battery with a capacity >25 wh could provide the power needed, but then its too bulky.
>>
When could you possibly need to solder something when you don't have access to an outlet?
>>
enjoy that singed hole in your bag I guess.
>>
>>52377367
There are multiple that are powered by 4x AA batteries, not sure how something like a Samsung 25R compares to that, however.
>>
>>52377413
It isn't necessarily that I think I'd need to solder something and wouldn't have an outlet (although I'm sure it's been an inconvenience to someone before), but more that I'd rather not have to worry about it. If I need to do some wiring work on my car for example, I'd rather not have to dick with an extension cord or cigarette lighter adapter to use a traditional iron. Not to mention that most decent traditional irons have a big base station I'd have to put somewhere, unless I just wanted to carry the cheapo Radio Shack style iron.

Just a convenience thing.
>>
>>52377447
Most of the ones I've seen either come with a plastic tool case or a sleeve that goes over it that automatically pushes the power switch to off when you put it on. I don't think it would cause an issue.
>>
>>52376830

>good
>battery operated

choose one.

if you just need something to get hot enough to do a simple sloppy solder, get a butane torch for $5 at walmart. I've used a shitty little ronson butane lighter to repair a frayed starter motor wire once while stuck out in the desert. If you want something to do actual repairs just get a $15 weller 40W pen and a couple of tips.
>>
>>52377763
So that Weller is a butane powered one? Any chance I can get a model number? I guess I may just have to look into that.
>>
>>52377910
No, butane soldering irons suck, they're only good to throw in a tool box in your car or something. They're for when you NO access to power.

I use a little ronson jet lighter like this though for emergency soldering,
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ronson-JetLite-Butane-Torch-Lighter/31954644
Just twist the wires together, wrap an inch or so of solder around the twist and let it flow.

Get this Weller to throw in your bag, there are outlets everywhere. http://amzn.com/B00B3SG6UQ

Also would be a good idea to pick up a pack of copper scotch brite scouring pads to clean the tip.
>>
>>52377367
18650s have come a long way, just don't buy chinese *fire crap.

Samsung 30Q is good for 15-20 amps continuous discharge at 3 amp hours or so. That's plenty of heat for a few quick repairs.
>>
>emergency soldering
>anon out in the bush
>suddenly finds himself in a ditch
>bunch of pipe fittings and 60/40 lying around
>good thing anon brought his trusty fucking soldering iron
>solders pipes together
>those pipes are definitely gonna hold water
>climbs pipes out of ditch
>builds house over it with his trusty pocket chainsaw and pocket mortise and tenon jig
>>
>>52377981
Looks decent, that might work. I was really just hoping to have something cordless for super portability.

I can assure you I won't be going the lighter route, although I do carry a torch lighter in my bag as well (occasional cigar smoker) so if I'm ever in a super-pinch, I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>52378034
I never said emergency, this isn't for a bug out bag or anything like that, I just carry a toolkit with me everywhere I go because I work in IT and general electronics repair and end up fixing people's shit a lot.

Multiple times I've found myself needing a soldering iron for a job and having to source a cheap one on the spot, it would be handy to have something small that I could keep in the bag for those times.
>>
>>52378096
>I work in IT and general electronics repair and end up fixing people's shit a lot

I'm really surprised you are asking 4chan for help on this, or even considering a battery operated soldering iron
>>
Here's a crazy question, what about USB powered soldering irons? I do carry a big ass portable battery bank with me, any chance that could be my answer for quick repair jobs in the field?
>>
>>52378117
Yeah, nobody who works uses 4chan.
>>
>>52378120
Sounds like a good way to release the acrid white smoke monster

portable battery banks are good for 1-2 amps at most, a soldering iron draws 6-10. USB spec is like 500mah at most, and even those fancy high amp fast charge USB ports some manufacturers put on the I/O panel only do 2-3.
>>
>>52378148
I looked them up and they exist, but you're right they're probably shit.
>>
>>52378120
>>52378148

okay, i just went and googled what a USB soldering is. With a 9V adapter they'd be good for a couple dozen solders, but they're maybe 15 watts at most, which means cold solder joints and burnt PCB as you wait for the fucking thing to heat up enough to flow.
>>
>>52378096
just get a decent soldering station and keep it at your desk or house and use it when you are back
>>
>>52378235
I've got one, I use a Hakko FX888D at home, and I love it, but the situations I'm talking about are at or above a 45 minute drive from home, I can't really just take a client's product, drive home, fix it, and drive back to give it to them 2 hours later.
>>
File: 136239405383.webm (3 MB, 480x310) Image search: [Google]
136239405383.webm
3 MB, 480x310
>>
>>52378273
then do it overnight and set them up with a replacement in the mean time
and have some shitty iron for the crudest of repairs
>>
>>52378285
That's what I'm looking for! I want a portable soldering iron to do basic tracing and making custom cables on the spot when I need something fast.
>>
>>52378329
go to radio shack and get some piece of shit with a chord and leave it in your desk
there is no reason to have a battery powered soldering iron
>>
>>52376830
How much do you need to solder?

If it's very little you could also opt for a soldering iron tip, a lighter/candle and pliers.

You can heat the tip when you hold it with the pliers and then solder.

It's not very effictive, but if it's only a few small connections it's ok.

I brought this while cycling/camping. Helped me out with fixing things that broke due to the many vibrations of cycling. It weighs nothing, especially since I carry pliers and a camping stove anyway.
>>
Get a magnifying glass. You can use the Sun's energy to solder by concentrating it into a dot. When you don't need to solder you can magnify stuff with it or burn ants
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mijicIXNZ4c
>>
ISO tip 7700 series. Been using similar models since the late 80's, they work great.

/thread
>>
>>52379540
Wow, yeah, these look great. Looks like it isn't super easy to swap out the 18650, which is sort of why I wanted it to be 18650 powered, but it'll certainly fit my needs and it's better what everybody else can't up with.

Thanks, anon.
>>
>>52378278
neat trick
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.