[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is this good to make a billing software?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: vs.png (3 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
vs.png
3 KB, 225x225
I need to build a billing software for my dad, he has a small company, what I need is something to handle 100 customers, 50 products inventory, and print receipts.
I literally know zero about programming, but this is a nice project for starters, if you guys know something better, I dont want something pre built, I want to make it from scratch.
>>
>>52376455
join us at etrm-services.
we're hiring ;)
>>
yes it's fine to build a windows-only desktop application with visual studio

you could also write something cross-platform but bloated in java

or with python and qt

or as a stand-alone single page web application with javascript

or as a standard client-server web application with any number of languages (...and javascript)

or as a mobile application for iPhone in Swift

or as a mobile application for Android in Java again

really any and all languages can do it, but your choice will affect your future. forever.

good luck baby duckling :3
>>
>>52376455
>make your own billing software
what do you plan on doing next, rolling your own encryption algorithm?
dont re-invent the wheel fucko.
>>
>>52376536
yes so far windows only for my dad office, 1 thing at time, later could be interesting something where he can take the info with his phone and transfer to the db.
>>52376560
well, just want to make this thing, because he will pay me for the project if it ends well, also as mentioned to use my NEET time to learn
>>
It's all right, but I would prefer just using Excel for things like basic transactions and inventory.

But yeah VB is pretty easy and it can do the thing you mentioned.
>>
File: tumblr_noqabtYhS41rz06hho1_1280.png (808 KB, 932x721) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_noqabtYhS41rz06hho1_1280.png
808 KB, 932x721
>>52376455
>I need to build a billing software
>I literally know zero about programming
>from scratch

This is an extremely, extremely bad idea. Tell your dad to pay a freelancer or contract.
>>
>>52376455
Try and make a calculator on it.
Then give up.
>>
>>52376560
>>52376714
you are jaded, terrible people
>>
>>52376734
I'm a terrible person for telling him he shouldn't handle his dad's fucking financial shit because he knows jackshit about programming, meaing a literal script kiddie could bankrupt the entire company?

ok.
>>
>>52376838
well, I asked because I was reading and watching some tutorials on how to build it, and does not seems to be hard, most of people used Visual, that's why I wanted to double check asking here.
>>
>>52376455

So basically, what you're saying is.

"I want to build a business management solution for my Dad's company, with no prior experience in coding."

Good luck bud.
>>
>>52376455
Isn't this exactly what Quickbooks is for?

Don't run your dad's business into the ground by DIYing.
>>
>>52376734
Billing and accounting is something you don't fuck around with. It's difficult stuff and not a solo project or a beginner's project. Your entire company's existence rides on this shit. People's fucking lives ride on it. Just use Quickbooks. If you need point of sale get an iPad and use Shopkeep + Quickbooks Online.
>>
>>52376714
This.
OP please don't do this.
>>
>>52376959
its not the most complicated thing ever, but id suggest taking an accounting course or two.
>>
>>52376986
it's more to do with ensuring proper security
>>
>>52376941
>>52376959
thanks anons, Quickbooks seems fine, is this a customizable solution, let me explain myself, my dad make all his receips by hand and calculator, I want to simplify the thing for him, make something like a point of sale where he just needs to press buttons and enter numbers, could quickbooks be custumized for such simple tasks?
>>
File: 1433743721345.png (23 KB, 918x760) Image search: [Google]
1433743721345.png
23 KB, 918x760
>>52377104
Sounds like he needs a corporate point of sale system. If you don't already know how to write this program yourself you're not going to be able to learn quickly enough to get it out before your parents die
>>
>>52377104
There's going to be a learning curve no matter what. If your dad's a luddite and you really want to help him, learn the software yourself so you can support him.
>>
>>52377104
Quickbooks doesn't do POS per se, but it can generate receipts. Until recently POS was godawful, especially for small businesses, but Square went and disrupted the market. Square doesn't do inventory, though, but Shopkeep does.

>>52377241
Yeah, retraining people is a productivity killer,and I wouldn't be surprised if dad was the kinda guy who gets very stuck on one way of doing things, even if it's inefficient from a modern point of view. I know a lot of small shop owners who are still entirely bound to paper and pen, and frankly, it works just fine for them, and they just keep chugging along through boom and bust.
>>
>>52376455
For a hobby sure. For your dad to use? Hell no. You buy a product for the support so when it breaks or needs a feature you can ask for it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.