[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is Apple able to sell OS X for a profit when it's based
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 640x640
How is Apple able to sell OS X for a profit when it's based off Linux which is open source/free?

Isn't that illegal?
>>
it's based off windows, actually
>>
>>52375600
it's BSD you twat
>>
>>52375615
This

and as for your question, it's because BSD is literally a cuck license that lets anyone do that
>>
>>52375600
kill yourself
>>
>>52375600

its not based off linux.
if anything its the other way around.

OS X is real honest to god unix.
linux is just a dodgy clone of unix.

its unix thats the important bit.
>>
File: 1451903209240.jpg (1 MB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
1451903209240.jpg
1 MB, 2272x1704
>>52375941
>macshit
>unix

>massive 2 year headline topping legal battle
>explicitly because BSD contained actual UNIX AT&T code
>entire point of mach was to create a unix-like replacement kernel for BSD so they could remove all traces of actual UNIX code from BSD
>mactoddlers unironically call osx UNIX in 2016 the year of our lord stallman, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, give us each day our daily freedoms, and forgive us our proprietary programs, for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us, and lead us not into the evil malevolent morally bankrupt wasteland that is cuptertino
>>
>>52375941
linux was a clone of minix, and GNU is Not Unix
>>
File: 1445745022154.png (45 KB, 476x294) Image search: [Google]
1445745022154.png
45 KB, 476x294
>>52375941
>just a dodgy clone of unix.

That's OSX.
>>
GPL programs can be sold at a profit. That's how Redhat operates, and the guy who develops Aseprite does the same (you can compile the latest builds from his github freely, or buy an installer from his site)

But yeah no OSX is not built on Linux and is a heavy derivative of BSD. The UNIX namesake means nothing anymore as unix-likes have become industry standards.
>>
>>52375600
Apple is based on BSD which BSD licensed
It's a cuck licence which allows you to do that
>>
>>52375978
>>52376066
>>52376123

yeah whatever. the important point about an os is that its a unix-like, dont care if its aix, solaris, hpux, linux, osx, bsd, whatever. the point is, unix-likes are awesome, sure some are better than others, the point is they're not a piece of shit os like m$. theres far too much "oh linux is fabulous" going on here, linux is awesome BECAUSE first and foremost its a unix-like.
>>
File: 1451531598647.png (135 KB, 701x1050) Image search: [Google]
1451531598647.png
135 KB, 701x1050
>>52377117
>make the world's only unix-like that manages to be even shittier than windows
>pretends he's even welcome much less belongs in the nix-like club

ayylmao
>>
>>52375600
that's the danger of not using gpl licencing

bsd/mit license is literally giving away your work for others to profit from it
>>
>>52377276

dont care. even if its slower than m$, as long as its fast enuf for the task at hand, i'd still rather be using/coding on a unix-llike, any unix-like, than on m$. are you seriously saying you wouldnt?
>>
File: average mac user.webm (2 MB, 955x533) Image search: [Google]
average mac user.webm
2 MB, 955x533
>>52377117
>i was only pretending to be retarded
>>
>>52377558

i thought you must be.
>>
>>52375600
Jesus, the same fucking thread every day. FFS, just fuck off, will you?
>>
I actually isn't based on Linux. If anything, it's Linux's brother. Both are effectively clean room clones of AT&T Unix. Also, AFAIK, many open source licences don't forbid sale of the software, you just have to give the source for free.
>>
>>52377441
>as long as its fast enuf for the task at hand

A chromebook is fast enough for browsing facebook at starbucks maccuck.
>>
>>52377842
An arduino could probably do the job too. "Fast enuf" is relative. A Pentium II would be "fast enuf", but it wouldn't be nice.
>>
>>52377886
Also, Linux installs on fucking everything. No reason to not use it if you love Unix so much.
>>
>>52375600
It's not based on Linux.
This meme really needs to die.

It's based on BSD.
>>
1. Mac OS X is based on Darwin/XNU, which is based on BSD.
2. You can legally sell "free as in freedom" software. Even if it's licensed under the GPL. If it is licensed under the GPL, however, you must release your source code, and your users must be free to modify and redistribute your software under the same terms.
>>
>>52375600
All the derivative code from code covered by GPL etc is freely available here https://opensource.apple.com/
>>
>>52377842

Of course, but some of us are doing more than that. Much more. Not all here are pimply teens who wouldnt know a command line if it bit them.
>>
>>52377954

>No reason to not use it if you love Unix so much.

How about, none of your customers have linux boxes.

Not everyone here is a hobbyist who thinks writing 2 lines of shell script is the greatest thing ever.
>>
>>52377842
>browsing facebook at starbucks maccuck
Doesn't matter what year it is, 2009, 2016, /g/ still loves their tired memes
>>
>>52375600
Last I checked they didnt sell osx.
>>
>>52378093
They do sell upgrades, but I don't think the OS itself.
>>
>>52378108
Upgrades have been free for 2-3 versions now.
>>
>>52378067
Last time I checked, the internet was platform independent. Just because someone else uses a different OS doesn't bar all communication compatibility.
>>
>>52378121
Shit, my ignorance is showing.

But seriously though, I wonder why they stopped? I would imagine it was a good cash cow for them.
>>
>>52375600
mac os isn't based off of linux it's based on bsd
>>52378108
apple doesn't sell upgrades either.
>>
>>52378149
Probably to look less bad when they release a dodgy update
>but it was free
>>
>>52378163
Apple the PR masters strike again.
>200% hardware markup
>"Hey, the updates are free!"
>Likely slows down older gen systems to persuade customers to upgrade
>>
>>52377117
>>52377441
Install cygwin on windows and it literally becomes unix-like also.
>>
>>52377630
>>
>>52378321
MS once created a cygwin like software and realized how retarded windows was designed
If you really was serious you should have said power shell
>>
>>52378321
stupidest thing I hear on a regular basis.
you get a shell and the coreutils, but they do nothing on windows apart from manipulating your text files.

nothing on windows is text files, it's all apis. you can't call .net, you can't use wmi, you can't control a domain.

nigga cygwin exists to please hipster python scripters who like to sniff their own farts instead of installing linux.
don't want all of linux, dual boot or vm? then neither do you need cygwin, faggot.
>>
>>52378321
Yes a os based on objects and registries will suddenly become text based os if I install an emulator
>>
>>52375654
If apple used a GPL kernel nothing would change.

If the GPL didn't let you sell free software as part of a collection that contained proprietary software it would violate the four freedoms

>>52375941
OS X is kind of a bastard UNIX that only leverages its heritage for compatibility with things that are largely developed on and for linux these days
>>
>>52378405
I use cygwin daily and works just fine. Powershell is something entirely different to unix and requires you to write scrips you can't run outside of Windows so it's not anywhere close to serious - it's a joke.

>>52378406
It does not exist to interact with windows api - it exists to interact with POSIX api, which is properly supported.

>>52378421
>>52378406
>text based
Really not sure if you people are that stupid or just pretending.
>>
>>52378421
OS X is also largely based on APIs and objects.

Very little of the UNIX way bleeds through into the massive layer of bloat that makes up the UI and the userland plumbing, and they keep making that very little into even less.

By the time you make OS X work like UNIX workstation, you're using puredarwin and cocoa apps won't even launch.
>>
>>52378434
Winfag who doesn't even know about windows as much as I do detected
>>
>>52378476
You are wrong about that.
>>
File: maki[1].gif (826 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
maki[1].gif
826 KB, 500x281
>>52378434
>>52378471
>>52378476
>>52378489
>Tools are just tools.
>They help or they don't.
>You need help or you don't.

>If you know Unix and those tools do what you need them to do on Windows - then you are a happy guy and there is no need to learn PowerShell (unless you want to explore).

>My original intent was to include a set of Unix tools in Windows and be done with it (a number of us on the team have deep Unix backgrounds and a healthy dose of respect for that community.) What I found was that this didn't really help much. The reason for that is that awk/grep/sed don't work against COM, WMI, ADSI, the Registry, the cert store, etc, etc. In other words, UNIX is an entire ecosystem self-tuned around text files. As such, text processing tools are effectively management tools. Windows is a completely different ecosystem self-tuned around APIs and Objects. That's why we invented PowerShell.

>What I think you'll find is that there will be lots of occasions when text-processing won't get you what you want on Windows. At that point, you'll want to pick up PowerShell. NOTE - it is not an all or nothing deal. Within PowerShell, you can call out to your Unix tools (and use their text process or PowerShell's text processing). Also you can call PowerShell from your Unix tools and get text.

>Again - there is no religion here - our focus is on giving you the tools you need to succeed.One last comment. If/when you start to learn PowerShell, I think you'll be pretty happy. Much of the design is heavily influenced by our Unix backgrounds so while we are quite different, you'll pick it up very quickly (after you get over cussing that it isn't Unix :-) )

>Answered by non-faggotic microsoft developer

Have a nice day anon
>>
>>52378585
>What I think you'll find is that there will be lots of occasions when text-processing won't get you what you want on Windows
And what I am finding is there are tons of occasions when cygwin does help me to get what I want.
Also repeating text-based does not help you prove your point (even if said by original creator) when cygwin actually has proper support for X.
What this wall of text means is cygwin does not help you to interact with Windows - and that's true, but cygwin exists exactly to create non-Windows workspace while still running Windows.
>>
>>52378613
>So basically an emulator
Was that hard to agree on
>>
>>52378434
>Powershell is something entirely different to unix and requires you to write scrips you can't run outside of Windows

The entire point of it is managing Windows servers, linux servers already have their own tools, do you even understand the purpose of PS?

Either way I find it far better than the "teehee i'm so clevur" backronyms and in-joke meme tier names the open source community made for so many basic linux commands.

PS is what UNIX/linux should have strived for, just not attached to Windows. Every command is Object-Action, Get-Item, Add-Module, etc no fart and poop jokes "just because" the dev that made the tool was 12. Dude that made it is an old-school UNIX guy, and he basically created what a CLI should've been from the start.

Makes my life easier since it's plain english, so training jr. admins is piss easy. Lot of times I don't even need to tell them the command, just tell them what to do and they can actually figure it out easily on their own without even having to resort to google.
>>
>>52378653
I never agreed to that and the definition of emulator that I subscribe to does not fit cygwin.
>>
>>52378657
>The entire point of it is managing Windows servers, linux servers already have their own tools, do you even understand the purpose of PS?
We are talking about working in unix-like environment on Windows. I am calling powershell a joke in context of that - and I am calling it that because it doesn't move Windows one millimeter closer to being unix-like.
>>
>>52378661
Yes installing a Unix environment in Windows will somehow make it Unix. Theres a reason why it's called wine for windows anon
>>
>>52378405
to expand, Powershell was created as a unix shell clone because they found out a shell and the coreutils (Microsoft SFU/SUA/Interix) can't do shit against an api.

the only thing you can manage is IIS.
IIS is Microsoft's only text file based application

so instead they got a team of ex-unix guys, made a shell, built it on .net, allowed it access to wmi and gave it native remoting

>>52378434
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-M2NhmFwso&t=2m (2:00-11:00)
http://www.jsnover.com/Docs/MonadManifesto.pdf
take it from the guy who worked at IBM/Tivoli as a unix guy, then joined Microsoft to make Powershell. A total UNIX shell clone that does what Interix, Cygwin, mingw and others couldn't.

>>52378613
>but cygwin exists exactly to create non-Windows workspace while still running Windows
So, you're saying you like to smell your own farts.
Why not commit? What do you need Cygwin for, if it isn't doing Windows work on a Windows box? It just sounds like a bad excuse to use something obscure to sound smart.
You can't admin your own box, you can't admin your network.
>>
>>52378657
Yes somehow making a shell that's meant to work in an environment completely different from it will make it more efficient than those tee her command
>>
>>52378585
Tools aren't just tools. Tools are physical or mental extensions for fleshy monkey-like lumps of watery shit that are born incompetent at everything but picking fruit and slamming smaller animals against the ground.

Without tools, you're just a chimp that has the brain to plant its own fruit trees and raise animals in captivity so they may be beaten to death and consumed raw. Not much of an improvement over picking and hunting from what's already there. If your tool doesn't extend you well, you're that chimp compared to someone with a tool that extends them well.

For most people, a bunch of APIs are a little harder to work with for a filesystem, since they're analogous to our library perusing, paperwork filing culture. The windows system is more like querying the elder for knowledge and praying to the untouchable gods for change. So, it doesn't extend most people that well. The learning curve is obnoxious, it leaves you a chimp, so you can understand the religious fury, can't you?
>>
>>52378696
You only make yourself look retarded by claiming a tool is shit at doing a job it was never meant or designed to do.

A screwdriver is shit at digging holes, big surprise.
>>
>>52378680
Wine is not an emulator according to my definition either (and it's not emulator according to devs definition, also).
>>
>>52378681
When I said ms once did that I was talking about that failed posix implementation during the nineties not ps
And I agree even though I use Linux that if you work on windows you should be using PS not cygwin
>>
>>52378613
I never repeated it was not text based. It is noted and that was a quote from a power shell developer
>>
>>52378681
>So, you're saying you like to smell your own farts.
>Why not commit? What do you need Cygwin for, if it isn't doing Windows work on a Windows box? It just sounds like a bad excuse to use something obscure to sound smart.
>You can't admin your own box, you can't admin your network.
I don't admin windows server at all.
I would never want to admin Windows servers.
I work with linux a lot, and I am also forced to run Windows on my workstation because software.
Cygwin just makes the environment more friendly for me.
This was never about managing Windows servers.
>>
>>52378717
I said cygwin isn't integrated into the system. And using it is ridiculous. As people say here use power shell.Wine is not perfect to run on Linux and cygwin is just like that
Calling me retarded won't save your ass anon
>>
>>52378767
No one is suggesting to use cygwin to interact with windows environment apart from you.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.