[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a CS major. I will get a job in 4 years, r-right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: 1452222573822.jpg (54 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
1452222573822.jpg
54 KB, 460x276
I'm a CS major.
I will get a job in 4 years, r-right?
>>
>>52374794
Assuming the industry doesn't completely crash, yes.
>>
>>52374794
only if you have solid experience backing you up or connection; get internships
>>
>CS

If you would have majored in IS yes.
>>
>>52374794
I see these threads pop out now and then. Is there a lack of CS jobs in america? Genuinely curious.

Here in Europe there's a huge shortage of CS people and enterprises are looking for them like crazy. Or at least that's the impression I have.
There's 99% employment rate from my shitty school and got my first CS job literally in a week, and before even finishing the course.
>>
>>52374794
why would it take you 4 years to finish a CS degree?
it took me 2 and a half years, and I pretty much slacked off for most of it
>>
>>52375171
i can't skip classes so I have to do them
there's no "take some tests and get credits" thing
otherwise, they'd have no money
>>
>>52374794
How to get a job in CS after graduating:

Don't be a cuck that goes into CS just to get a job. It's that simple. Really.
>>
>>52375162
I got a job straight out of college with a CS degree from a regular university.
>>
>>52374794

Probably,

I recently graduated with my CS degree and math minor. Got a job offer technically 2 months after I graduated (around 4 months after finishing courses) and I have no experience what so ever.

Of course I didn't take it and don't have anything else at the moment, but that's another story.

Point is, I'm getting calls from recruiters just by posting my resume on indeed/monster. The job I got an offer for I didn't even apply to.

But, you probably should do internships in school. I didn't, but then again I'm just a lazy fuck who doesn't want to work.
>>
>>52374794

I am a silicon valley EE engineer, it is pretty much full employment here for tech, lots of high pay jobs, but housing unaffordable. Do a summer internship somewhere before graduation, that helps a lot in interviews. If you are strictly a programmer, a lot of that is being outsourced to India. Learn to android app, you can teach yourself, make a demo.
>>
>>52374794
I'm not a programmer, but the impression I get from lurking here is that CS is just like any other line of work. The best way to stay employed is to specialize in a narrow category that is in demand. Just being generally trained isn't gonna cut it.
>>
>>52374794
Technically bagging groceries is a job, so sure.
>>
If you came to CS because your parents and friends said "I heard CS grads are all the rage nowadays" or "I heard CS grads make a bunch son", then no.
But if you came to CS genuinely interested in tech with all the complex algorithms and everything then sure
>>
>>52377193
This is exactly what I did and I'm doing perfectly fine. CS isn't some field where you need to have an autistic passion for it to do well. Any monkey can do it.
>>
>>52375015
IS is literally for retards
>>
>>52377142
>electrical engineer engineer
>>
>>52374882
Even if it does crash, it's not like all the millions of pieces of software out there will maintain themselves
>>
>>52375015
Bait post. Studying IS is less useful that just getting certificates
>>
>>52375162
European CS positions pay absolute shit compared to USA, Australia, etc. The reason for the shortage is blindingly obvious, they just don't want to pay what good grads cost
>>
CS != programming

you can be a code monkey for a bunch of money after a year of watching udemy tutorials
>>
>>52377829
Why would any HR department give you the time of day, when all your competitors for positions have a CS degree
>>
>>52377818
>be euro CS
>120k euros a year
>housing is dirt cheap
>>
>>52374794
Nigga you better start looking for a job right now, you will need 5 years of experience to land a good job after college
>>
>>52377829
>implying udemy is good
>>
>>52377859
Wow, I've heard way different, so maybe I'm misinformed.

Also, housing is sky-high unaffordable in Australia, even for wealthy people
>>
>>52377851
must suck living in a shithole ran by massive companies with "hr departments"

if you dont have a CS degree just don't apply to google. there are small to medium size businesses that pay good.

also it helps that i kick ass in interviews and my resume/cover letter are fucking grade A. i've never not been offered a position i interviewed for.
>>
>>52377792
Even if it does crash, the large software engineering firms aren't stupid enough to stop hiring for 10 years like they did when the last crash happened.

You know what happens after not hiring for 10 years?
You get a massive sinkhole in your workforce and you're stuck with oldfags that can't work with newfags because they're taught totally different things.

That's why nowadays you're seeing large firms invest into even the mediocre universities.
>>
>>52377874
I might be an exception desu
Work for an exceptionally well doing company in the embedded stuffs
I hear the other CSers from my class end up having shitty app jobs that pay way worse
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.