[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The era of purchasing tech that does not belong to you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: Thanks I guess.jpg (24 KB, 360x189) Image search: [Google]
Thanks I guess.jpg
24 KB, 360x189
Pic related.

Makes me kinda sad we can shell out massive amounts of money for tech that really does not belong to us, we cannot do with it as we please.

I really don't give a shit about the AVG, but I do find it very annoying my OS can and does uninstall programs without my permission, it is in control, not I. And at its core it seems designed to harvest as much data from me as possible for the profit of someone else.

You pay for the hardware, but its useless without the software, the software can do what it wants, how it wants, you are forced to accept this.

Also, fuck linux
>>
They saved you from being sold.
>>
>AVG
dont see the problem here, all free antiviruses are shit but avg beats them all in that, you should be thankful, to top it off youd have to reinstall it anyway since its current version wasnt compatible and actually might have broke something
>>
What the fuck is wrong with people.

You will all use xXXxCleanYourPC420DoctorxXXx Ultimate-dank edition.

But as soon as it comes with the PC you all throw your shit around like monkeys.
>>
>>52365857
go back to win 7. Not that hard anon. Or install linux
>>
i'm glad they included the avg removal tool with windows.
makes my job easier.
>>
It told you exactly what it was going to do before you upgraded. Switch to a more sane OS or continue crying and hope windows 11 will be any better.
>>
File: tumblr_l7jgs3TNqK1qadlnpo1_400.jpg (40 KB, 300x443) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l7jgs3TNqK1qadlnpo1_400.jpg
40 KB, 300x443
>>52365933
I upgraded from Win7. For the most part I like Win10. But I dunno man, it just feels like you have to give up too much for this 'free' product. Where's the free market?

Picture this... You just bought a car...

The car records all activity and the info is sent to manufacturer, they know how long you have been in the car, how many miles you traveled, how hard you step on the brake, everything.

The data mined from your vehicle activity is used to send targeted adds directly to you while in your car via radio. Your radio will switch on and play an add for that restaurant you just drove by. The data mined info is also sold to phone carriers who then sell it to local businesses, as you drive by a Home Depot you start getting spam txt about this weeks deals.

At 1/4 tank gas your car will take over and auto pilot to a gas station and turn itself off until filled. It is not a gas station of your choosing but an affiliate of the dealership where you purchased vehicle.

Local law enforcement also have access to your data courtesy of NSA/manufacturers agreement, alerting them when you are nearby a cruzer due to your excessive speeding habits. They are just gonna tail you a bit and then bust you for an easy ticket soon as you hit 7mph over the limit.

Your car may also occasionally re-park itself if deemed necessary by local officials or business'. They are however required by law to have your car ping its new GPS to your phone so its cool.

Who would buy this?
>>
How about you take all of the "enforced monetizing" away and look at the features you just described. I would buy that car, do you know how much parking tickets cost?
>>
>>52365857
>You pay for the hardware
I think soon PCs and phones will just be dumb terminals that connect to 'cloud-based' computers, it's likely you'll rent both the hardware and software. Kinda like thinclients we have now.
>>
>>52365857
>fuck linux
By using GNU/Linux, I don't have to deal with microsoft's bullshit which is more than worth it to me.
>>
File: grapeface.png (34 KB, 822x899) Image search: [Google]
grapeface.png
34 KB, 822x899
>upgrade to a new version of the OS
>program removed due to compatibility issues
>anon is free to reinstall
>instead he decides to be a massive whiny faggot and cry on /g/
>>
>shit program would have crashed and probably bluescreened your shit by now if it had remained installed
>OS blocks it before it can and informs you
>>
>>52366341
>The car records all activity and the info is sent to manufacturer, they know how long you have been in the car, how many miles you traveled, how hard you step on the brake, everything.
After removing anything that could be used to identify you.
>The data mined from your vehicle activity is used to send targeted adds directly to you while in your car via radio. Your radio will switch on and play an add for that restaurant you just drove by. The data mined info is also sold to phone carriers who then sell it to local businesses, as you drive by a Home Depot you start getting spam txt about this weeks deals.
Except Windows 10 doesn't do targeted adverts, at all. It also does not sell your information to third parties according to privacy policy.
>At 1/4 tank gas your car will take over and auto pilot to a gas station and turn itself off until filled. It is not a gas station of your choosing but an affiliate of the dealership where you purchased vehicle.
I don't even know what this is supposed to be an analogy of.
>Local law enforcement also have access to your data courtesy of NSA/manufacturers agreement, alerting them when you are nearby a cruzer due to your excessive speeding habits. They are just gonna tail you a bit and then bust you for an easy ticket soon as you hit 7mph over the limit.
The NSA has openly stated that they're not looking for minor crimes and there's yet to be any proven NSA back door in any OS.
>Your car may also occasionally re-park itself if deemed necessary by local officials or business'. They are however required by law to have your car ping its new GPS to your phone so its cool.
Again, what? This has nothing to do with anything.

But it's well known that anyone in tech who makes a car analogy is a clueless muppet who should stop posting.

6/10 I took the bait.
>>
>>52367383
>I think soon PCs and phones will just be dumb terminals that connect to 'cloud-based' computers,
This has been said almost since the death of the mainframe.

It's not going to happen.
>>
>>52365857
>Also, fuck linux
Stop whining about your Windows, it's the future you chose.
>>
>Makes me kinda sad we can shell out massive amounts of money for tech that really does not belong to us, we cannot do with it as we please.
>Also, fuck linux
There is a choice to be made here. If you have made it, stop whining about the consequences of your decision.
>>
>>52366341
>The car records all activity and the info is sent to manufacturer, they know how long you have been in the car, how many miles you traveled, how hard you step on the brake, everything.

Cars do that now you know. In fact Google missed out on working with car companies already because they demanded full unrestricted access to this data but forgot that car companies are big enough to say lol fuck off to them.
>>
>>52367740
>I don't even know what this is supposed to be an analogy of.
Not him but it's obviously the fact that you can't turn off updates and update whenever you choose in Windows 10.
>>
OP, install GNU+Linux. you can install whatever you want on there. And it's free!
>>
>>52365857
Welcome to stallmanism!

Stallman basically predicted all this and championed the free software movement to counteract it.
>>
Guess you better make your own OS, then. Godspeed
>>
Windows is doing a good job getting people to install Linux. Soon we might have proper game support for loonix and there will be no reason to have Windows ever again. Oh I wish that would happen within 5 years.
>>
>>52365857
>willingly uses proprietary spyware
>complains about it being proprietary spyware
>>
File: laugh-00012.gif (178 KB, 281x484) Image search: [Google]
laugh-00012.gif
178 KB, 281x484
>Using Windows
>>
>>52368019
>Soon we might have proper game support for loonix
Wayland hits soon, Vulkan is almost there.
So there will be a solid base to build something (at least a better one than cobbled piece of shit called xorg and opengl).

But to see actual use amongst non-enthusiast Gnome Foundation would have to pull their heads out of their asses and instead of of breaking compatibility with every minor release focus on making a working DE and a DE that doesn't require 2013+ machine just to be run at any satisfying level of performance. I mean God gnome3 works worse than fucking windows 10 while being nowhere in terms of polish, not even at win7 levels.
And sorry m80, doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon.
>>
>>52367932
but all free stuff is shit
>>
>>52368248
Only if it's free as in free beer.
>>
File: 1448967992976.png (798 KB, 736x748) Image search: [Google]
1448967992976.png
798 KB, 736x748
>refusing to use Linux
>complaining about freedom
>AVG
I want /v/ to leave
>>
>>52367896
Because running out of fuel is totally equivalent to a security update, right?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.