[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 33
File: Steam-controller-1-.jpg (65 KB, 616x347) Image search: [Google]
Steam-controller-1-.jpg
65 KB, 616x347
Which is the best controller in your opinion and why? Also thoughts on the steam controller, would you buy one ?
>>
>>52364866
Controllers are not completely irrelevant, he can talk about it in /g/
>>
360 controller is still the best and probably will be for years to come.
>>
>>52364885
hmmm until my post and before >>52364900
there were only 2 IPs in this thread how suspicious.
>>
>>52364885
NO >>>/V/
>>
Either Playstation ones (using scp drivers for my DS3) or the Xbox ones really. Was gifted a Steam Controller last year and it's not exactly too friendly imo for bringing pc games to the living room. Maybe I need to look around more but using trackpads in place of analog sticks doesn't work out great, trackball mode or not.
>>
>>52364920
Just ignore the thread instead of being a tard
>>
>>52364855
xbox and gamecube have the most ergonomic controllers.
>>
>>52364855
The Xbox one elite controller is the best controller I've ever used.
>>
>>52364855
I'm a major fan of the steam controller over the xb360 and ps4 ones. You can't know the comfy that is "mouse-like joystick" or carrying around your own personal game bindings with you to a friends house until you've done it.

As far as purely technically, steam controller is objectively the most advanced and capable of any of them, followed by the ps4, then the ps3, then the xbo and then xb360.

I'm to the point that I won't trade my steam controller in for anything, and its only been 2 months.
>>
>>52364855
Why no real dualshocks?
>>
>>52364855
I don't really like any of this gen's controllers. Wii U and Xbox One are both uncomfortable, at least compared to past iterations, and DS4 doesn't look as good as DS3 and before. A friend of mine just got a Steam controller though and he really seems to like it.
>>
>>52365502
I should mention though my favorite controllers are 360 for feel and Dualshock 1-3 for looks, honorable mention to the Gamecube
>>
>>52365352
You must have Manlet hands for those tiny face buttons to not be a deal breaker. I used mine once and sold it for 25 bucks. I'm a little jealous, the tech was sound, it was just too small. I'd buy another if they made a larger version.
>>
>>52364855
Doesn't it HAVE to be the steam controller simply due to the fact that it's objectively more accurate and can play a larger variety of games? Sure it's probably harder to get used to, but that's just because it's new
>>
>>52364855
PS4 controller, the analogue sticks have almost no dead zone. The grip isn't the best but that really tiny dead zone is perfect for arcade racers.
>>
>>52364855
>Steam Controller
XYBA buttons are in a BAD BAD PLACE.
Playing say, DMC4 or Witcher 3 with very dynamic and active fighting breaks my fucking thumb and makes using the right pad or whatever you call it impossible.

The right pad on Steam Controller, Gyropad or what the fuck that is you use to aim is pretty accurate and good.

The left pad is VERY BAD. It's actually so bad to use I wonder how it even got there.

The shoulder tabs are godawful in Steam controller, very hard to press down.

Effect of sweat when you play for a long time makes using any of the triggers or shoulderpads pain.

6/10.

>PS4
I broke three right shoulder pads of DS4 controller while playing Bloodborne and DMC4. That shit breaks down. Everything else is okish. 7/10

>Xbox one
never touched one
>>
>>52365559
>Effect of sweat when you play for a long time
>I broke three right shoulder pads of DS4

Stop being such a fat cunt then.
>>
>>52365580
I am no fat cunt, I am healthy person but you can't play for extended duration with Steam Controller. The (shoulders and triggers and XYBA buttons become very hard to use (and XYBA - right pad positioning is already very stupid).

and those fucking DS4 shoulder triggers can't handle gaming for shit.
>>
>>52365352
>the most advanced and capable of any of them

>DS4 analog triggers is literally just a nipple made of silicon

>DS3 analog triggers is literally just a spring
>>
>>52365559
>>52365610
While at first I disliked the placing of the XYBA buttons as well I have gotten used to it and think it's pretty okey. I have pretty large hands so reaching those buttons isn't difficult for me.
I do have some issues with the flappy trigger things on the back though, kinda hard to press for me, maybe also because of my hand size.

Besides that I think the controller is pretty cool, at least Valve is trying some new things in the controller market.
>>
>>52364920
R E T A R D alert
>>
>>52365559
>>52365610
>>52365714
>not knowing that the ABXY buttons and stick weren't meant as anything more than training wheels
>>
Dualshock
>>
>>52365714
They're not okay, you can't play fast tempo games with the current Steam controller.

Fights in DMC4 and The Witcher 3 are pure agony with steam controller to me. I have large hands too, but the positioning of the right.. whatyoucall that surface thing? IDK and XYBA buttons is just awful. You either sacrifice the feedback on the right surface or your reaction to stuff (that you use XYBA buttons for)

and the left d-pad is just horse shit tier in its design, why is it so fucking heavy to press down? same with shoulders and triggers.

Still yeah it's cool Valve is trying new things and when I am not playing fast paced games - say when I play something that doesn't require me to use XYBA+view things at same time - the accuracy of the right pad is fantastic (Fallout 4, Max Payne)
>>
I also wouldn't give up my Steam controller for anything, fucking love it. Specialized cases I'd use something with analog sticks instead of touch pads like fast FPS games, but everything else is great on Steam Controller. Light, comfortable in the hands, triggers are great, typing with it is great, and versatile.

Disappointed there's no microphone/audio jack in it though like Xbox controllers. I have to say "Hey Cortana" kinda loudly to get my webcam to pick it up from across the room.
>>
>>52365800
Triggers require so much force to press down compared to DS4, not v. good choice imo, not even a good one.

They should be far more soft.
>>
>>52365785

desu I don't think Steam controller is supposed to replace your existing controllers, just use it for games that can utilise the touchpads and gyro well and use a regular controller for shit like DMC

It's not a competition, you can own more than one hunk of plastic
>>
>>52364855
Everyone who tested the Steam controller seems to hate it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89qQy-rEUgg

I'm using my good old 360 controller and don't see a reason to switch anytime soon.
>>
>>52365824
Because they didn't take the time to do custom keybindings, the greatest feature of the Steam Controller.
>>
>>52365822
The d-pad (left pad) is pretty bad in Steam controller.
the Gyro (is that its name?) is fantastic when you can use it, it's a great idea on a pretty bad product IMO.

I am excited for new version of this.

Yes I know it's not a competition, reason why I was so critical of it is because I like what they tried with it and the Gyro pad (which is fucking great when you can fully utilize it, in slower paced games for example)
>>
Some people complaining about the Steam controller buttons seem to not understand how easy remapping keys are. If you excessively need the right touchpad, just map your most extensively used keys to the bumpers. I haven't played the Witcher 3, but I'm sure increasing sensitivity and remapping a few things would work just fine.
>>
Just got 2 steam controllers. They are amazing. Buy 4 if you can.
>>
>>52364855
Nvidia sheild has the worst controller ever just a heads up for anyone who buys one.
>>
>>52365854
The issue is that the bumpers are pretty awful compared to DS4 bumpers or any bumpers I've used in general.
>>
File: 51Zyhk-1s3L.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51Zyhk-1s3L.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
i love my xbox 360 (wired) controller. i have never had a single issue with it. i am going to sell that shitty xbox one controller i get with my rift.
>>
>>52365865

for what purpose
>>
the steam controller is the only enthusiast controller available. as this is /g/ i expect most of you to be enthusiasts that are happy to fully configure a controller to handle exactly as you prefer.

the steam controller is the only true answer.
>>
>>52365195
Agreed. Feels like a proper fucking quality heavy-duty tool. Just costs way more than I'm willing to shell out for a controller when the plastic shit does the job too.
>>
>>52365890
Don't sell it, just have two controllers. What if a friend cones over?
>>
I understand that a lot of people prefer the 360 controller, but honestly, I find the Xbox One controller to be a bit more ergonomic. Just my personal preference.
>>
Does the xbox one controller has pressure sensitive face buttons?
>>
>>52364900
This. No other controller comes even close to the comfy level of the 360.
>>
>>52364855
Ps1 > ps3 > ps1 without analogue. Ps3 works well with pc and feels ergonic and doesnt look gaudy. Steam controller is stupid
>>
>>52365474
Because the DS4 feels better ?
>>
>>52365847
except they did, Jack said he spent 4 hours customizing the controller
>>
The Xbox One Elite controller is the best I've ever used. Everything seems to feel completely right about it, it's a major improvement over the standard controller, but it's ridiculously over priced.

For some reason my thumbs keep hitting each other every time I use a DS4, I don't even have big hands.
>>
>>52366032
What game was he playing? Can't watch videos at the moment.
>>
>>52364855
I'd consider getting the XBone pad if it had third party drivers as efficient as the Masahiko Morii drivers for x360.

Xinput-only support just doesn't cut it for all my older games. The way they set up triggers is a joke.
>>
>>52366084
>Xinput-only support just doesn't cut it for all my older games

what do you mean by "older games"
>>
>>52365902
>friend

haha good one :(
>>
In general:
Steam>Xbone>PS4
In Dpad focused games
Xbone>DS4>Steam
They really need to fix the fucking dpad next time, this is sub 360 tier shit
>>
>>52365195
Agreed, my controller arrived on Wednesday and it's wonderful.
>>
Was thinking about getting a ds4 controller and would really like to use the built in headphone jack as a audio output. Is support for this exist or is anyone working on it.
>>
File: IMG_20160111_120912.jpg (917 KB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160111_120912.jpg
917 KB, 3120x4160
>>52365824
I'm loving mine for racing games and platformers
>>
>>52365890
Xbox One controller is nicer tbqh senpai, but yeah I still use my 360 one instead cause batteries
>>
>>52366115
Sorry.
>>
>>52364855
The GameCube controller. Why? Because it actually fits naturally in the hand, and has logical button placement. The XBox controller at least comes close to that, but it's a tad awkward. The PS controller is just fucking retarded. I would probably never touch the Steam controller, horrible button placement.
>>
>>52364900
The playstation controllers, hands down, beat all controller currently on the market. No question about it.
>>
I use xbox one controller, I bought a steam controller but I dont like it, button placement is awkward and it forces you to use steam big picture which is a piece of shit.
1/10 wouldn't buy again
>>
>>52366308

can i have your steam controller?
>>
>>52366301
>>52366308
See >>52365765
>>
>>52364855
PS4 controller, but I haven't tried any of the other ones in your pic.
Don't have a reason to buy them either, it'd just be another thing lying in a shelf.
I also think the Xbox controllers don't work with a computer without a special adapter, at least not wirelessly.
>>
I bought the xbox 360 wired controller and i had to sand part of plastic off because if i held the analog stick straight down it wasn't at the max threshold. It became really apparent in dark souls when i tried to run backwards my character would always walk instead.

that said i prefer the ds3. It feels less like a hunk of shit and the analog sticks are way smoother and more responsive.
>>
File: JHs0sSA[1].jpg (832 KB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
JHs0sSA[1].jpg
832 KB, 4128x3096
not the steam controller for sure
>>
>>52366376
>Guaranteed replies!
>>
>>52364900
I've personally adjusted to the xbone one now. While they are similar, the xbone has less sharp angles near the triggers and the bumpers feel different. Plus the convenience of plug and play while still having the option to use it wireless at some point is a bonus.

Other than that they are basically the same.
>>
>>52366376
>Warning: Not suitable for mutants.
>>
Dualshocks are best overall for opposite the reasons Xbox shills seem to hate about them.
N64 controller for best nostalgia. Blessed button press feels, c-buttons and z-trigger.

360 controllers are only ergonomic for Amerifat cheetohands (the placement of the right analog stick is stupid, seriously what the fuck), which isn't really surprising given it's made by an American company for the average burger.

Steam controller looks retarded.
>>
>>52364855
I have yet to try a steam controller, but the ABXY button placement is absolutely horrendous, however I do like the idea of a trackpad(s) as an input (the real question being what games is it really meant for?)

PS4 controller feels pretty standard to me, nothing I can really say that's stupid about it other than the abysmal battery. (however the joysticks feel more like they'll peel over time compared to the xbone controller)

Xbone controller by far feels the most comfortable to me, but the triggers and shoulder buttons are the most retarded design they've made. (I hate to say it but the ps4 controller actually got the triggers and shoulder buttons right this time.)
>>
>>52365785
>and the left d-pad is just horse shit tier in its design, why is it so fucking heavy to press down?
Have you tried setting it so you just tap it instead of clicking it?
>>
>>52366277
...you don't need batteries in xbone controller when you plug it in to your computer. It connects and draws power through the USB cable even when you plug it into the console.
>>
>>52364855
/g/ does anyone use arcade sticks on PC?
Which is the best?
>>
>>52366470
>not knowing that the ABXY buttons and stick weren't meant as anything more than training wheels
>>
File: nopenopenope.gif (492 KB, 320x172) Image search: [Google]
nopenopenope.gif
492 KB, 320x172
>>52366376
>that thumb
WTF??
>>
>>52366500
Huh didn't know that, thanks anon.
>>
>>52366517
Why would you assume you needed batteries for a wired connection?
>>
>>52366513
right hand is more interesting. the thumb is either nonexistent or huge
>>
>>52366517
Also the D-pad 20 times better then the 360 one.
>>
>>52366503
Like your computer, one that's custom built.

If you're looking for one already slapped together that's good, get the MadCatz tournament edition stick since that has Sanwa parts already in it. Normally don't recommend MadCatz anything but their sticks are the one thing they actually make right. Hori is also a fantastic brand but I have a personal preference for Sanwa parts.

If you wanna spend big nigga money on an arcade stick I'd hit up Foehammer customs since the old guy that owns it is dope as fuck and does good work.
>>
File: CXTXkqsUMAAW3sa.jpg (23 KB, 600x336) Image search: [Google]
CXTXkqsUMAAW3sa.jpg
23 KB, 600x336
>>52366509

Sure anon, but for what? you keep samefagging that comment but you say nothing about it other than that.

fighters? Mobas? Rpg's? what is it training for fagget?
>>
>>52365663
>Implying there are alternatives to springs and silicone nipples
The xbone and xboredring use force fields amirite
>>
>>52366503
i have the HORI Real Arcade Pro 4.

it works good. never had any issues with games, always been "plug and play".
>>
>>52366376
did your thumb swallow a joystick?
>>
File: CCfzqdhWEAAj1E-.jpg-large.jpg (159 KB, 960x534) Image search: [Google]
CCfzqdhWEAAj1E-.jpg-large.jpg
159 KB, 960x534
>>52366224
>platformers
>>
>>52366571
For getting used to the controller, baka.
>>
>>52366304
It used to until 360 controller. I will admit Sony did good back then keeping true to there design until the PS4.
>>
>>52365547
You must have really big ass hands because I have pretty long fingers and it's really comfortable to me.
>>
>>52366580
>>52366562
Thankyou anons.
>>
>>52364900
This. Dpad sucks, but I use a sega saturn USB pad for games that require just a dpad. Best of both worlds. 360 is best for any 3d game.
>>
>>52365559
If they are in a bad place, rebind the controls. I swapped the face buttons in MGR with the triggers and it felt way more natural as someone who played the hell out of the souls games.
>>
>>52364957
>using scp drivers for my DS3
Mah nigga. The DS3 dpad is great for emulation, symmetrical analog sticks feel good, and the Scp drivers make everything just werk.
>>
File: Capture.png (21 KB, 74x93) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
21 KB, 74x93
GG sony
>>
File: asshole.png (457 KB, 468x363) Image search: [Google]
asshole.png
457 KB, 468x363
>>52366601

K brah, but I'm asking what benefits does a touchpad controller have over a button based controller?

The only one that I can think of that's a terrible choice of using it for is fighters, right side trackpad is way too far for button/touchpad combos.
>>
File: yum.png (3 MB, 1609x945) Image search: [Google]
yum.png
3 MB, 1609x945
>>52366576
Not him, but I opened up a 360 controller to clean it and the mechanism that turns the trigger potentiometer is delicious.
>>
>>52366765
>button/touchpad combos
You're missing the point again. Anyway, I'll admit that it's shit for fighters and platformers. It's really for FPS(playing on the couch and not being total shit), strategy, desktop TV streaming/remote for anime.
>>
>>52366543
I dunno I just figured they wanted to make you buy an adapter like with the 360 controller.
>>
>>52364855
>would you buy one
I did buy one. It's much quicker and more accurate than analog sticks for aiming and highly customizable. It's not as good as kb+m but it's definitely a solid improvement over typical controllers.
>>
>>52366777
hot

@op
PS4, it just feels so fucking comfy, xbone feels like its slowly going to become the original HUEG controller.
>>
Wii U has the best battery and d pad by a considerable margin. The face buttons I like a lot as well. People seem split on the sticks, and it unfortunately lacks analog triggers. Steam controller I like, but those face buttons are really awkward. Haven't used xbone but I hear it's an improvement over 360. DS4 has no battery.
>>
File: xbox controller.jpg (3 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
xbox controller.jpg
3 MB, 2340x4160
>Splice an Exbox controller
>Install XBCD drivers
>Install JoytoKey
>Configure JtK to your needs

Got yourself an ergonomic controller, desktop interface input, and an easily replaceable controller.
>>
File: 1452291021325.jpg (46 KB, 453x592) Image search: [Google]
1452291021325.jpg
46 KB, 453x592
>>52366376
what the fuck is wrong with your god damned hands?
>>
I have a steam controller. I only really find it good for particular genres like flight sims, turn based games, and games that allow multiple input types at the same time.

One game I really wish had better support for it would be mgs5, but due to how the engine is setup for input you can't get it exactly the way you want it.

What I mean by that is the engine can switch between controller or m/kb but doesn't allow both input types at the same time which is frustrating because I want the analog stick to register as a controller analog stick and I want the right touch pad to register as a mouse but the game has a delay when switching input types making it unplayable.

The things I would tweak on it is the left touch pad to pivot like a real d-pad when pressed, and the xyab buttons placement to be adjusted for easier thumb access.

Everyone says build quality is cheap but it feels very solid to me and I've abused it a bit without fail.

I'd say it's an 7/10 for general use and 9/10 for niche cases
>>
>>52364855
I've always used an xbox 360 controller with a knockoff wireless dongle and it's served me well, but I got an xbox one controller over the holidays and I think it's much better. Firstly, the cable works with the wireless version unlike the 360 controller, and will charge the plug & play battery. It also has an audio jack for my headset and it works well with PC. Triggers are much better, d-pad is GOAT esp considering how dogshit the 360 one was. I want to try an elite but $150 for a controller is too much, I only use it for emulation and games like rocket league or super meat boy and for couch streaming.

I also picked up a steam controller - I actually like it a lot, and I think it has the capacity to be better than a normal controller but would take a lot of practice to get the muscle memory right. Great to have a remote mouse when not gaming. Dpad is meh as a dpad but is cool for things like skill wheels etc. Custom bindings are great and the integration with community binding is fucking nice. Xbox elite controller iirc does custom bindings too.

For anyone who is interested, you can get the xbox one xbox button to activate steam overlay(and/or put steam in big picture mode) on windows 10 if you disable the "xbox app game bar" setting that takes over the button. Bretty cool.
>>
File: theduke.jpg (136 KB, 985x438) Image search: [Google]
theduke.jpg
136 KB, 985x438
>>52366881
Bring out the Duke
>>
>>52364855
Held both ps4 and xbone controllers. ps4 controller is my favorite overall, but the xbone is still pretty ok. Haven't tried the steam one to comment.
>>
>>52367001
Admittedly, I don't have one. My OG xbox didn't come with Duke controllers ;–; . But I will be acquiring some soon on an ebay impulse buy.

I just <3 how stupidly large they are, and it's probs a better fit for my hands :|
>>
i got the xbone controller with wireless receiver at a nice price. it was a bit of an impulse buy, i had was perfectly satisfied with my 360 controller, but i felt like trying something different. i noticed right away that the xbone controller was just a more comfortable controller in all regards, a proper and worthy upgrade that microsoft had obviously put a lot of thought into, barring the bumpers fiasco. i had the steam controller for one whole day, but i didn't like it at all, it didn't feel nice to hold and the analogue stick dominated my gaming habits anyway, so i didn't see the point of it
>>
>>52367001
>those sticks
cool, I'm into it
>that button layout
huh, I'd try it
>that dpad
ayyy lmao
>>
>>52364855
xbox360. Great feel, great button placement, decent quality, wired & wireless, good battery life, compatible with PC. What else can you possibly need?
>>
>>52366959
I really like the elite controller but if you're only using it for SMB (one of my favorite games) and Rocket League then don't bother unless you got a hole burning in your pocket.

The build quality is a step up and the rubberized handles are fantastic, but its still basically an xbone controller. Idk if you get all the same options when you plug it into PC (only ever used it on my friends xbone) but I know on xbone you can customize literally every button from the removable flappy paddles on the back to the face buttons and stick clicks to work as a different button. Having all 4 paddles is a bit much, but I can use 2 of them comfortably without accidentally hitting them while playing. Shit is actually really nice for manual driving in Forza because you can set it up to emulate the flappy paddle gearbox experience without dropping the dosh on a wheel. Course you're halfway to the price of the Ferarri wheel if you buy an elite controller but that's a different matter entirely.
>>
>>52367001
>being a little kid
>literally couldn't press the white/black buttons without removing one hand

playing halo with my dad was a bitch
>>
>>52364855
playstation's.
xbox, button too stiff, dpad is shitty position.
>>
>>52366304
this
ps2 controller was amazing, still using it on my pc after 10 years or so
>>
>>52367092
The Duke always felt like a spaceship getting ready to take off from your hands. Reminded me of the Dreamcast controller.
>>
>>52364855
I have big hands so I really prefer the PS4 controller. Xbox and PS3 controllers feels like childrens toys(well they are) but the design of the PS4 controllers allows me to use it fairly comfortably. Still would like it to be maybe 6cm wider and bigger. Joysticks and buttons also feel better than the 360 and ps3 controller.
>>
>>52367115
You are right on the D-Pad.
I played alot of Guilty gear #reload with that controller.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 320x180
>>52367159
Technically it is the Dreamcast 2.0
>>
>>52364900
this. I liked the bone controller, but the triggers are terrible.
>>
File: PS3-DualShock3-Controller.jpg (321 KB, 2700x2000) Image search: [Google]
PS3-DualShock3-Controller.jpg
321 KB, 2700x2000
Technically, the most advanced is the Dual Shock 3.
> 17 digital buttons (4 on d-pad)
> 12 pressure sensitive buttons (4 on d-pad)
> 4 analog axes on 2 sticks
> 3-axis accelerometer and 1-axis gyroscope as additional analog inputs
> 2 dc motors for force feedback
> wireless, using bluetooth 2.1, 500mAh battery
> uses slightly modified HID interface and works on Windows and GNU+Linux
>>
File: Why.jpg (179 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Why.jpg
179 KB, 1280x720
>Bought a MemeBox® One Elite™ controller
>Better build quality, 50% of value is still retard tax. Still, no other premium controller options and I like high quality peripherals
>Triggers constantly inputting: unpressed state is a "negative" press, pressed trigger is a "positive" press. Fucks with all programs using DirectInput(emulators)
>Wired drivers through Microsoft employee's personal website
>Wireless drivers available for download and manual install through internet explorer only update catalog
>Rechargeable battery is extra
>Wireless adapter is extra
>Have to use a Win10 VM to bind buttons. No option to create new bindings, only re-arrange existing ones. This also restricts new bindings through programs like antimicro(the better xpadder)
>Replacements for easily detachable parts only available through Microsoft support (requires Microsoft account & a product registration via a serial number however serial number for controller is too long and thus not registrable)

I can use a fucking N64 controller on my android phone using a $10 adapter with multiple inputs.

Microsoft sells the controller, wireless adapter and rechargeable battery all separately for a total of ~$200 and not only do they not support use on 3rd party platforms, they actively hinder it.

Meanwhile I can download a FOSS (albeit 3rd party) program and use a DualShock 4 via Bluetooth.

If you HAVE to use a current generation controller either use Sony's offering or steal an xbox one controller. Microsoft doesn't deserve your money.
>>
>>52367126
Thanks anon!

You're right that theres probably no need but after your reply I really want one now. Hah.

>halfway to the price of the Ferarri wheel

I know that feel. I really like flying so of course I had to get a flight stick/throttle(saitek x55).
>>
I have all 3 and the Xbone controller is the best controller on the market. Good weight, buttons are fine, sticks are fine and they fixed two awful things from the 360 controller, the Dpad and the STUPID fucking hump in the back that held the batteries.

The PS4 controller is alright for the most part. The triggers are AWFUL. The touch pad is worthless. Other than that there's nothing wrong with it.

The steam controller is not a controller for normal use. Every time you pick it up is an experiment. Will this game recognize it? Did the devs put out a working config? Did someone else upload a config? Will I have to spend an hour trying to get this just right? But the fact that literally everything is configurable to a pretty fine degree is excellent. The touchpad works better than expected. I like that it makes shit like joy2key irrelevant. Dont buy one unless you like an adventure before you play any game.

tl;dr normies should get the xbone controller
>>
>>52367221
You know the switches next to the triggers switch it to "hair trigger" mode? I've never tried it on PC but it basically turns the triggers into buttons so it might help with that input problem.

I agree with basically everything you're saying however.
>>
File: vlxkuro.jpg (118 KB, 1500x734) Image search: [Google]
vlxkuro.jpg
118 KB, 1500x734
>>52367221
I herd you like high quality peripherals.
>>
File: 1443890732703.png (310 KB, 721x598) Image search: [Google]
1443890732703.png
310 KB, 721x598
>>52367221
>Bought PS4 controller because /v/ told me it was the best
>Works like shit over bluetooth, tried 5 different adapters and none are usable
>Doesn't work on android 5+ wirelessly, none of the thousands of articles claiming it to be the best android controller mention that
>4 hour battery life
>Fuck it
>Return it, buy Xbone controller
>Have to buy $25 wireless adapter
>Sometimes just doesn't connect, have to unplug and replug adapter
>Edges of the plastic cut into my hands
>Doesn't work on dinput games
>No android support at all
For fucks sake, what the hell does it take to get a decent fucking controller?
>>
>>52367342
Why not DS3?
>>
>>52367356
The software to use it on PC sucks ass, as does the paid app you need to use it wirelessly on android
Also I just don't like how it feels
>>
>>52367356
>>52367342

Don't even do DS3. Just get a wired Xbox 360 controller. It's the best plug-and-play (Windows) controller I've ever used. Shit, even newer PC games will automatically detect the 360 controller and then update the interface/menus to reflect it.
>>
>>52367390
>The software to use it on PC sucks ass
Just Works on Linux, DS3Tool is nice on Windows.
>>
>>52367342
>Sometimes just doesn't connect, have to unplug and replug adapter

could be that you've plugged it into a USB port that isn't outputting enough power. also, do you use the extension cable?
>>
>>52367221
the PS3 was designed around directInput whereas the xbox system literally was designed to replace directInput

the fact i can't type shit into my PS4 with a normal keyboard anymore does piss me off

>remote play keyboard thing with phone
pretty fucking neat
but i still want my keyboard input at times

>that fucking feel when DUST lets you use a fucking keyboard and mouse
i wish more playstation games let you do that
>>
>>52367342
>edges of plastic cut into my hands

I've literally used the xbone controller for over 500 hours and never once had this problem. What edges are you even talking about? Where the plastic housing comes together or something? Legitimately curious.
>>
File: 1452134537245.png (343 KB, 671x1047) Image search: [Google]
1452134537245.png
343 KB, 671x1047
I've been considering getting either a Dualshock 3 or Xbone controller for PC gaming since I have no interest in consoles, which to choose?
>>
>>52367342
I got a DS4 like a year ago and have had zero problems with it on both my laptop and desktop through Bluetooth. Always very responsive and snappy.

Maybe you got a lemon.
>>
File: P_20160111_134703_LL.jpg (914 KB, 1152x2048) Image search: [Google]
P_20160111_134703_LL.jpg
914 KB, 1152x2048
>>52367435
It's plugged into the back of my computer. I used to have it on an extension, but then I would have to unplug it every time I restarted my computer. Now it happens maybe 1/10 times.

>>52367470
Pic related.
The grip is just slightly bent out of shape. Just the smallest amount to be able to feel the difference and press my skin on the hard edge.
I've used other controllers, and some of them don't have it, some have it in different places
>>
File: triggerstops.jpg (21 KB, 370x285) Image search: [Google]
triggerstops.jpg
21 KB, 370x285
>>52367279
It's literally just a piece of plastic that slides in the way of a trigger, blocking roughly the last 1/3 of the travel distance; just enough to move out of the first 1/2 "negative" trigger state.

(The X&Y rotations are the sticks - sitting at their middle (neutral/no input) position, as the triggers should be.)

1 & 2 are un-pressed triggers
3 is with the trigger "stop" on
4 is without it on

It's clear to see why it was done, in theory including the negative axis doubles the amount of possible inputs.
It's Shame DirectInput was sacrificed for such an unnecessary addition.
>>
WHY DOES NO ONE MENTION THE GYRO IN THE STEAM CONTROLLER JESUS FUCK

Do you know how intuitive it is to use? Fuck, just the touchpad plus gyro is already as accurate as my mouse. Add the trackball functionality that lets you flick to turn 180 degrees and it's perfect. There is nothing better than the steam controller right now except for an expensive, high DPI mouse + mechanical keyboard.

I use the controller for CS:GO, Talos Principle, GRiD Autosport, Half-Life, TF2, Rust, and whatever the fuck. The downside is that you have to really give it time to become proficient with it. How long did it take you to become proficient with a mouse and keyboard?
>>
>>52367540
I've actually tried two just in case, neither worked
I don't know what the problem is, since there's tons of people like you claiming that it works perfectly, and I even bought the asus adapter that everyone recommends, but it just won't work for me
I'm trying to contain my autism and stop myself from buying a third one, especially since I also bought an Xbone controller and a Steam controller, but I'm just so fucking curious.
>>
>>52367705
It's pretty fucking great
If they can add a decent dpad and a way to use the controller as a gamepad outside of steam then it would be GOAT
>>
>>52367220
>pressure sensitive buttons
Does anything actually make use of this feature?

>>52367390
Scp drivers on windows are fantastic because it wraps everything as Xinput for instant compatibility
>>
>>52367744
I tried SCP like half a year ago, it was annoying because I had to overwrite my bluetooth adapters drivers, meaning it wouldn't work for anything other than PS3 controllers
Also, again, I just don't think the PS3 controller is very good
>>
>>52367484
Xbox one controller
>have to buy 25 dollar adapter
no you don't it works fine with a cable
>have to replug adapter
never had that problem, did you buy a chink adapter on ebay by any chance?
>edges of the plastic cut into my hands
What edges? I have 2 controllers, one that came with the Xone and one that i bought only a few months ago, none of them have sharp edges
>Doesn't work on directinput games
it does for me
>no android support at all
thats why there are hundreds of videos on youtube explaining how to pair an Xbox controller with an android phone. Also works fine on my galaxy tab S with an OTG cable

Somehow i get the feeling you are just spouting random bullshit on here and haven't owned either a PS4 or XBone controller.
>>
>>52367220
I thought they did away with pressure sensitive face buttons after the DualShock 2 since almost nothing used them (NFS Underground did but that was the only game I played which did so)
>>
Logitech F710, or F310/F510 if you want cables.
>>
>>52367786
>no you don't it works fine with a cable
I hate cables
>never had that problem, did you buy a chink adapter on ebay by any chance?
No, official MS adapter
>What edges? I have 2 controllers, one that came with the Xone and one that i bought only a few months ago, none of them have sharp edges
See >>52367580
>it does for me
Triggers don't work, making games like MGS2 extremely unpleasant
>thats why there are hundreds of videos on youtube explaining how to pair an Xbox controller with an android phone. Also works fine on my galaxy tab S with an OTG cable
You have to use dumb apps that make you switch IME's

Somehow I get the feeling you are just shilling MS bullshit on here
>>
File: 635876385046208762.jpg (48 KB, 640x440) Image search: [Google]
635876385046208762.jpg
48 KB, 640x440
>>52364855
I have medium sized hands and the Wii U Pro controller is my fav controller for both retro/2d games and 3D games.
At first sight it looked uncomfortable but after I used it I was surprised. It's damn comfy, even if using the d-pad.
Recently played Super Metroid, Bayonetta and SkullGirls on it.
>>
>>52367847
>better call him a shill so he goes away

that's not how it works anon.
>>
File: 20160111_131610~01.jpg (284 KB, 1079x1813) Image search: [Google]
20160111_131610~01.jpg
284 KB, 1079x1813
>>52366648
Yeah, they're pretty huge.

Fathands reporting in
>plus I'm hungry for shit
>>
>>52367744
Anything you map the axis to.
>>52367796
They ditched them in DS4.
>>
>>52367623
>It's Shame DirectInput was sacrificed

This was a fucking outrage. They deprecated universal controller support to support only MS branded controllers.
Plus they now use the fucking Dreamcast/Xbox ABXY diamond layout instead of using universal buttons.
I hate you Microsoft.
>>
>>52367972
I don't give a shit Rajheet
I have the controller and it's shit
>>
It doesn't have a dpad so I wouldn't buy it.
>>
>>52367342
Switch to Linux and run the games in wine.

Xbox controller will just werk.
>>
>>52364855

DualShock 4
+Best D-Pad
+Bluetooth
+Attachable Bluetooth chatpad for full M&KB functionality for general browsing from the couch.
+Touchpad
+Fully customisable using DS4Windows third party application.

-Bluetooth can be hit or miss.
-You have to use a Xinput wrapper such as DS4Windows, that said, not to much of an issue, though updates will ocassionally break games.
-Uncomfortable when using the Analog sticks.
-Crap triggers.
-Battery life is meh.

Xbone
+Attachable chatpad for full M&KB functionality with built in drivers for Windows 10 for general browsing from the couch.
+Wireless is better than Bluetooth.
+Fully configurable using Xpadder or similar program.
+Chatpad and controller has 3.5 mm stereo and microphone hybrid jack for the use with headsets or headphones.
+Best ergonomics, chatpad is a bit uncomfortable.
+Good native support.

-Wireless requires adapter.
-Poor D-pad placement.

Xbox 360
+Attachable chatpad for full M&KB functionality with third party divers for general browsing from the couch.
+Wireless is better than Bluetooth.
+Fully configurable using Xpadder or similar program.
+Best battery life.
+Cheapest
+Best native support.
+Good ergonomics.
+Cheapest.

-Shit D-Pad on older pads.
-Poor D-Pad placement.
-Requires third party drivers for chatpad use on Windows.
-Requires third party drivers for full customisability.
-Wireless requires adapter dongle.

Steam Controller
+Haptic Pads provide best mouse replacement of the four.
+Good ergonomics.
+Best customisability.
+Open Source. (I think.)
+Best Linux support.

-No chatpad.
-No traditional D-Pad
>>
>>52364900
Yeah pretty much
>>
>>52368073
Linux doesn't support the wireless adapter
In fact, despite Linux supposedly having Xbone wired support, I've never been able to make it work at all
>>
I use 360 for racing and hack'n slay, mouse+kb is better for almost everything else
>>
>>52368125
Are you using systemd?
It won't work without it.
>>
>>52368194
>racing with a controller

>not a wheel with pedals

It's a shame wheels are so fucking expensive, and decent standalone pedals are almost non-existent. Still using some old piece of shit logitech wheel, seriously only has like 16 different states of turning in each direction, so in Euro truck simulator I'm all over the fucking road during turns.
>>
>>52367944
No console manufacturer does buttons like Nintendo, even on the DS they are fucking great... they are a little too proud of it though.

It needed triggers, not trigger shaped buttons.
>>
>>52368246
I don't know, it's Linux mint with the kernel updated
>>
>>52368081
I forgot the six axis on both the DS4 and Steam Controller. Also, all the chatpads can be setup to use in games. So all of the number buttons work for macro mapping or inventory mapping or what have you. Mutliple button presses can be used as shot cuts for various things. (Ctrl-x, Ctrl-c, etc.)
>>
>>52365547
Fuck off fathands
The steam controller is fucking huge, I'm hoping they make it smaller 2nd gen

Aristocratic small hands masterrace
>>
>>52368125
Try xboxdrv.
>>
>>52364855
the DS3 is almost perfect to me. Only downside is it feels a bit cheap. Xbox controllers are generally a bit sturdier.
>>
>>52367580
Maybe yours is slightly warped or you have bitch hands? It doesn't really look any wider of a gap than mine and even rubbing the shit out of the controller right now I can't feel anything catch me.

Course IIRC that white/gold one is a GameGhestappo exclusive so that may be part of your problem.
>>
>>52367744
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 and I think even 4 all used them. I know Grand Turismo games used to (at least 4) since there was no "trigger" at the time. Not sure if 5 onward supports it.

Not many games took advantage of it from what I recall.
>>
>>52368286
>It needed triggers
I'm ok with triggers, but not Xbox 360 style triggers. They feel horrible. There's no actuation feedback. The normal button feels miles better than a deep no-feedback button.

They should do it like the GC or DS4.
>>
>>52368430
GC had objectively the best triggers. I really wish they would bring that shit back.
>>
File: 20160111_134945~01.jpg (334 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160111_134945~01.jpg
334 KB, 1920x1080
>>52368265
>>52368319

You manlets are ruining my life with your tiny hands.
>>
>>52364855
KB & M
>>
>>52368478
I don't have to be short to not have nigger flippers
>>
>>52368291
I would make sure Xorg is running with root permissions and the systemd session is working properly, its probably a permission issue with usermode xorg.
>>
>>52368478
>Fat guy in a hawaiian shirt.
You did that to yourself.
>>
>>52364855
DualShock 3. Sony killed the DS4 with its slight change in shape and fucked up analog sticks.

The 360 controller is the worst thing I've ever used. It's gigantic, has concave analog sticks, and the worst dpad in existence.
>>
>>52368881
Hawaiian shirt? What gave you that impression? I'm not Ronnie from whomp!. Fwiw, I am indeed fat, but I'm wearing a loot crate James bond shirt, which is just as shameful.
>>
I love the steam controller and think it's great for single player games, but its definitely better overall to use mouse+keyboard for anything multiplayer.

It doesn't have a learning curve, I think, it just takes time and patience to tailor it to your gameplay
>>
>>52368478
You bought a child's wheel m8
>>
>>52366418
>wireless
Not on Win7
>>
>>52369244
Is there a full sized wheel for sale anywhere? Literally every wheel I've seen has been this size.
>>
>>52369312
There must be. I want a wheel for Euro Truck / American Truck. You could mount a larger wheel onto your current wheel somehow.
>>
The steam controller is on top of the two other inferior controllers for a reason
>>
File: 1438562917686.gif (854 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1438562917686.gif
854 KB, 500x750
>>52364855
All 3 of those are shit compared to the Wii U Pro controller. It's the 360 pad, only fixed with pure nintendium.

>80 hour battery life
>great dpad
>digital triggers and shoulder buttons with short travel
>smooth as butter analog sticks with nice click
>perfect feeling face buttons
>works on pc without a hitch
>>
>>52369541
I mean, I SUPPOSE you could mount a bigger wheel to the outside of the smaller wheel, but it would look ghetto as Fuck.
>>
>>52368081
The steam controller's software keyboard is probably second-best to an actual chatpad though, in my opinion at least.
>>
>>52364855
Between the Xbox and the Playstation controller, I have to say, that the Xbox wins by a long shot for me. I have used a fair share on controllers in my time and the Xbox controllers just alway felt the most legit. Button design, haptic, and most importantly weight are just right for.

I stress the weight part so much because I find, the PS4 controllers are so damn light. I find it feels really flimsy whereas the Xbox controller feels more sturdy. It gives you the impression, that you could toss it against the wall every now and then because you get mad for some shit ingame and it would totally be cool with it.
PS4 controller not so much. Also the touchpad? Pointless? Ugly? Just really doesn't float my boat.

Had Microsoft not screwed up hardware ans pricing so much on the Xbox One, they might have had a shot at winning against Sony this time.

The Steam controller looks interesting, but I'm also worried i might cramp using it. For some reason my first thought is, that operating it might be quite annoying first and take some getting used too.
>>
>>52369665
Do it and report.
Ghetto fixes are the most fun fixes to watch and i find this one quite intrigueing
>>
>>52369631
sticks ain't as good and digital triggers are terrible. I think all of the modern controllers except the wii U giantpad are overall pretty good though.
>>
>>52365765
shame there's no incentive to graduate. The left pad truly is awful. How do you replace the face buttons? You have two extra paddles on the back.
>>
File: 20160111_162526~01.jpg (408 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160111_162526~01.jpg
408 KB, 1920x1080
>>52370927
I dunno, it seems rather unwieldy.
>>
>>52371234
Why are your dildoes so small
>>
>>52371349
Because my girlfriend is small
>>
>>52371234
You're a big guy.
>>
>>52371393
4 U
>>
>>52371234
neck usefl
>>
>>52364855
They fixed all the problems of the 360 controller in the xbone controller. Fits my hand near perfectly. The PS4 controller is a little strange and hard to get used to, however. But thats a pretty good controller too. I especially like that you can use your own headphones; I use my Amazon ones with the built-in mic.
>>
>>52371369
>girlfriend
No need to pretend here
>>
>>52371664
u don't beleve in feminine benis?
>>
File: ].jpg (2 MB, 1440x1678) Image search: [Google]
].jpg
2 MB, 1440x1678
>>52371664
true dat
>>
>>52364855
xbox one really the best. I changed the 360 and is most accurate and confortable.
>>
File: mah_nigguh.png (90 KB, 318x235) Image search: [Google]
mah_nigguh.png
90 KB, 318x235
>>52371234
>Wario Land ADGQ
>>
>>52364855
IMO PS4 controller for PC gaming. The touchpad doubles as a mouse pointing device for any mouse input you may need to do (using DS4Windows), and it has two physical sticks unlike steam shitpad.

This is opinion coming from a guy who has tried all three, as well as a Logitech controller.
>>
>>52368081
WTF, why my xbone controller has no 3.5mm jack?
>>
>>52367394
>It's the best plug-and-play (Windows) controller I've ever used
this so fucking much
>>
I use a DS3 with scptoolkit. Emulates Xbox controller, works great in games, and has configuration settings for buttons, axis, deadspot, etc. Just reassign the bluetooth mac master address for your controller so it doesn't turn on your console beforehand.
>>
File: Microsoft Xbox Controller S.jpg (44 KB, 600x588) Image search: [Google]
Microsoft Xbox Controller S.jpg
44 KB, 600x588
This is the top dog. I find the duke more comfortable but it's harder to do the claw than with the S
>>
I'd really like to see something like pic related but with a split keyboard so your thumbs can properly reach each key, with a proper keyboard driver for using it for typing on the desktop. I can't believe nobody has made anything like this in retail yet. Trackball is a must. I don't like the touchpads on the steam controller. Not as comfy nor as accurate as a trackball.
>>
File: keyball-controller-v2-407.jpg (1 MB, 2848x2134) Image search: [Google]
keyball-controller-v2-407.jpg
1 MB, 2848x2134
>>52373231
forgot pic
>>
>>52373248
I love my Logitech m570, but sorry, that thing looks absolutely disgusting to use for gaming or anything that's NOT HTPC usage
>>
>>52367944
>Bayonetta
>Skull Girls
Ray?
>>
>>52364855
I own all of them. Xbox one is by far the best controller.
>>
>>52373291
Obviously not exactly like it, just like it. Take the basic shape of a DS4 controller and graft a split thumb keyboard, trackball and scrollwheel onto it. Wouldn't even be remotely difficult.
>>
>>52373444
No, sorry.
>>
>>52374750
For a minute there, I thought you were my homosexual friend.

Because you're a big fucking faggot like him
>>
>>52368465
Steam controller has them. Nice analog pull before a digital click.
Also has grip buttons which is something that I've wanted for a long time.

Really the only drawbacks are the face buttons feel a bit off, and its d-pad emulation mode with the left touch surface never feels quite right.
>>
>>52364969
Thread is trash, I may sage as I see fit.

>>>/v/
>>
>>52374790
You meant boyfriend, fucboi.
>>
>>52374979
No he's actually a friend, surprisingly.

Fuck you, Senpai
>>
>>52367336
Delicious.
>>
>>52367336
>>52375136
poorfag here

is a Hori rap V3 Hayabusa ok?

i only want it for old arcade games on pc
also looking for a cheap crt tv
>>
>>52375250
Honestly I've never used it.

I dont want to be 'that guy' but I'm going to assume by nature of Hori and the price on amazon that it's likely going to be a solid investment.
>>
>>52364855
I have tried all 3. Hands down the best controller I have ever used is the Xbox one elite controller. It has such a premium feel to it that no controller in the history of controllers can come close.

That's not even mentioning the completely remapable buttons, trigger locks or the way it can be physically customized to suit your play style
>>
>>52364855
wired 360 is comfy and just werkz, but i feel i have better precision with DS3 (scp drivers)

ps4/xbone controllers a shit

i also have 2 gamecube controllers with the wii u usb adapter for gamecube emulation and snes/saturn controllers for older games. still looking to get a usb n64 controller or 4.
>>
>>52366777
also uses a spring am i missing something?
>>
>tfw you haven't used any of them
360 controller + mouse and keyboard master race
>>
>>52367796
Metal Gear Solid let you lower your weapon by letting go of the face buttons slowly. That's..about all I can remember.
>>
Nintendo Pro Controller

Dpad is fantastic
Buttons are fantastic
Digital triggers
Comfy af
Long battery life
Having both triggers on top is actually nice and now my preferred layout
I don't play many PC games, so the fact that it only works on my Wii U natively is fine. I usually only play Dolphin netplay on my PC so a GameCube controller is usually preferred for that.
>>
>>52367781
>I had to overwrite my bluetooth adapters drivers, meaning it wouldn't work for anything other than PS3 controllers
This is my issue, too. I have onboard Bluetooth on my laptop, which I need for multiple things. I don't want to buy a dongle just to dedicate it to a DS3, either (especially since one of my main goals in going wireless is to save a USB slot). I love the PlayStation controllers (IMO, the only other controllers in the same league are the Genesis and Saturn controllers), but making them work on Windows is too much of a PITA to be worth it, IMO.

>>52374951
1. The discussion is relevant to /g/ as it's centered on PC gaming.
2. sage doesn't work any more, and hasn't in some time. moot disabled it back before he left.
>>
>>52372073
You sure? Should be to the left of the USB port between the handles.
>>
File: Fighting Commander 4.jpg (217 KB, 900x667) Image search: [Google]
Fighting Commander 4.jpg
217 KB, 900x667
>>
>>52379791
What does the turbo button do?
>>
>>52379861
Button repeat/rapid fire
>>
>>52364900

Xbone controller is much better than 360
>>
>>52377603
If you use windows 8-10 the new blutooth stack makes all that a mute point, DS4 just work no problem
>>
File: dukecontroller_1308247746.jpg (21 KB, 379x322) Image search: [Google]
dukecontroller_1308247746.jpg
21 KB, 379x322
>>52379882
Duke>360>Xbox>Xbone
>>
>>52379791

What mutant abomination is this.

Jesus.
>>
>>52379899

"no"
Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.