[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will Windows forever be NT kernel based?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
Will Windows forever be NT kernel based?
>>
>>52364503
>/g/
>windows

saged
>>
>>52364503
Probably yes. They have invested a lot of times and resources in that kernel that I don't think they would make the change at this point.
They had the Midori as an experimental kernel, though, but they didn't do shit with it.
>>
The plan in the long term is to move to RT. I know that sounds dumb right now but I'm the long run their betting or already know that ARM is where everything is going so their taking advantage of that. Look at some of their decisions and their business timelines. They stay with NT because they've poured all their resources into it. And corporations aren't gonna want to hear how they are going to have endless headaches switching over. When the time is right, they'll be there
>>
>>52364511
>do i fit in yet?
>>
>>52364511
Be honest, how new are you?
>>
Good luck thanks to linux we have.no shills other then corporate redhat or cannonical. Linux users dont need ads for oversilhilled motherboards or overpowered gpu cpu, cos of optymalization.
Gaymeras fuck off
>>
Imagen leaked source for windows or directx and simple compiling it without botnet.
All we need to do is one linux hiddden as ms programmer. Dont kill yourself.yet
>>
MFW WINDOWS 10 IS A NEW KERNEL WITH NT NAME PUT ON IT THE

OH THE MEMEMEMES
>>
>>52365347
>Windows RT is a totally different kernel to NT

RT is the NT port to ARM, and it's not like NT hasn't been ported to other architectures in the past either. It had a POWER, Alpha and MIPS port in the 90s.
>>
>>52365970
>>52365989
>>52366018
Drink a glass of water and go to bed
>>
>>52364503
There's so much tied to the Windows kernel that they would have a hard time porting stuff to userland (or rather, it would take a lot of time and money). So the answer is probably yes.
>>
>>52366047
It was a very sad day when MS decided to port a ton of services in to the kernel, but NT was fucking slow back in the 90s.

"Notably, in Windows NT 3.x, several I/O driver subsystems, such as video and printing, were user-mode subsystems. In Windows NT 4, the video, server, and printer spooler subsystems were moved into kernel mode."
>>
>>52366047
I wouldn't be so sure, search about the meaning of a Library OS and the project Drawbridge from Microsoft and you will see they want to try other alternatives aside from using the NT Kernel forever.
>>
The Window NT Kernel is actually pretty nice. It's the userland that sucks, though. And unfortunately, you can't just replace it, because it relies on undocumented kernel bits.
>>
>>52366668
Undocumented kernel bits?
What do you mean, why wouldn't that document it all?
>>
>>52366730
How new are you?

http://undocumented.ntinternals.net/
>>
>>52364503
Even windows phones are based on windows NT
>>
>>52365347
>ARM chips let my toy computers surf facebook without lagging now, they're like the future!!!
No. Stop this shit.

RT and NT are also the same thing
>>
Why would you change from perfection?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.