[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've got a weird one, even for 4chan. So I have a mild
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
I've got a weird one, even for 4chan.

So I have a mild obsession with the idea of being able to live forever. Here's how I think it could happen (in my lifetime maybe).

If life were ever to "evolve" itself, wouldn't it eventually evolve beyond mortality. Is there any other way for a life form to truly experience the happenings of a galaxy without such longevity?

Is there any real reason the brain couldn't live outside of the human body? Given that the brain could be connected to peripheral devices that give it senses and that it's environment is controlled to ideal settings for a thriving human mind.

If the body is to inevitably age, could that process fully be altered? Could we develop a way to extend our body's ability to replace cells at total replacement level? If not, could it be done with just the brain?

TLDR: I think I can live forever if I could just find a way to get my brain out of my body

Am I totally insane or does /g/ think I could be right?
>>
Try /pol/. I know it's /g/ related but the kids here only like linux threads, watches and /bst/.
>>
Absolutely logical but the key thing in transhumanism is the "human" factor

We all love think and write like this, but we also love to eat cheeseburgers. We love smelling our own farts. We love seeing naked anime chicks and we love hearing wobble bass. We love having feet and hands and balls to scratch, and having the nerve endings that make you feel all of those things.

As soon as you are given a techno body you will lose all sense of what it was like to be. Sight, Sounds, flavors, colors, How about the very idea of shape and texture will be gone.

If tech with the ability to give the brain information is developed, you will be as good as a baby needing to learn how to feel when his fingers are cold. You will not be any bit familiar with any of the information, you will have to grow new grey matter patterns to correlate the new info.

It isn't something we can do to an old person that should live forever, it is something someone would have to be born into while their grey matter is still able to be manipulated

Either that or inducing malleability into an old brain, which takes a lot of gently developed capillaries and looots of dopamine and cannabinoids/opiates
>>
Just freeze yourself when you're old and hopefully someday when technology has eliminated death and disease someone will dig your shitty old corpse out of their basement and revive your hopefully perfectly preserved self for the historical value.
>>
>>52362512
how is this /g/ related? OP just rambled about "life being able to evolve itself", which doesn't even make sense in english.
>>
Maybe, but not in this century. Sorry dude, immortality, digital or biological is like 100 years away.
You could do some research but the most popular opinion is that it's less than "80 minus my age" away.
>>
>>52363058
If you freeze yourself, it's important you freeze yourself before you die. However unlikely immortality becomes, curing death isn't really on the cards.
>>
>>52363136

You're completely dead while frozen, though.

It's not strange to think that death could be cured. They just need to find a way to jumpstart the brain.
>>
>>52362464
See: Waterbear
>>
Supposedly there are creatures such as some jellyfish that are technically biologically immortal.

Human immortality will never be achieved because the biological processes that compose the entirety of our being simply will never allow for it.
>>
>>52362464
Read up on thelomers. That's where you should start.
>>
>>52363378
*telomeres
>>
What you describe is certainly possible, whos to say our very existence is not already what you described?

Just need a way to keep the brain healthy forever, nanobotz perhaps
>>
File: nanomachines.png (131 KB, 231x379) Image search: [Google]
nanomachines.png
131 KB, 231x379
>>52363402
Nanomachines son
>>
File: sylphynford_tachiban_74117.jpg (172 KB, 350x525) Image search: [Google]
sylphynford_tachiban_74117.jpg
172 KB, 350x525
Watch Evangelion and read "The last question" by Asimov
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.