[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the best way to stream shit to my TV from my PC? That
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Chromecast.png (128 KB, 900x1000) Image search: [Google]
Chromecast.png
128 KB, 900x1000
Whats the best way to stream shit to my TV from my PC?

That is painless and doesn't involve a laptop or ultra long HDMI. I want to watch my pirated movies and shit on my TV. Is chromecast the way to go?
>>
This plus plex media server
>>
>>52359194
What kind of quality can I expect?
>>
Universal media server
>>
Depends on how much you want to spend.

Chromecast is alright and you can run plex through your phone or tablet and cast it to the chromecast, but it is not the best option.

I would suggest getting the Nexus Player and installing Kodi (XBMC) which I prefer over Plex, also having a set top box like the Nexus player will give you much better performance and a dedicated remote.
>>
>>52359172
>stream shit
>best way

Using a chromecast with a plex server on your computer is the cheap and easy way.
However, your experience and stream quality will depend on your wifi setup and how many users that are connected to it.

If you want something really good (assuming 1080p), then drop streaming and go for a cheap media machine:
Buy an inexpensive m-itx motherboard with Intel's J1900 or J2900 built-in processor and iGPU.
Scarvenge some old laptop for SODIMM ram.
Get a picopsu, or a mitx case with builtin psu.
Connect a HDD
Install prefered OS with Kodi, torrent-server, and fileserver.
>>
>>52360371
>Impying 1080p from plex can't stream over wifi
>>
>>52359620
Quality of your download
>>
File: 176.jpg (14 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
176.jpg
14 KB, 300x100
>>52359172
>Is chromecast the way to go?
>willingly botnetting youself

https://alternativeto.net/software/chrome-cast/
>>
>>52360371
What if I have install a lightweight Linux distro on the machine and the rest of the computers in the house are windows. How do I access my windows PC acting as a server for movies so I can recycle an old 60gb SSD and not worry about storage.
>>
>>52359172
>Whats the best way to stream shit to my TV from my PC?
HDMI cable
>That is painless and doesn't involve a laptop or ultra long HDMI.
move computer and TV to close proximity.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.