[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Free Desktop Recording Program
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault.jpg (99 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
99 KB, 1920x1080
Discuss free screen recording software for Windows. Preferably stuff that's relatively unknown and isn't on the first page of Google's search results, since they're all shit.

>Camstudio is completely broken when you try to manually select a region, performs like shit
>http://chehraz.ir/projects/screenrecorder/ is exactly the kind of program I'm looking for, but requires .Net framework 2.0. and only records to Avi
>Screen Video Recorder by DVD Video Soft is same as above
>Bandicam is excellent but has a watermark unless you register it
>Everything else I've found is web 2.0 faggot tier or bloatware.
>Best found so far is Srecorder but it has literally no options except selecting a region to record to MP4 and literally no other information.

Any other stuff you guys know about?
>>
Screen presenter free version
>>
Don't even pretend like this is a discussion thread and not a tech support thread that belongs in /wsr/ you little shit.
>>
>>52356823
Awful software desu senpai. Bloated, requires you to edit shit in their little editor, multiple steps just to start recording, etc.
>>
>>52356804
>Awful software desu senpai. Bloated, requires you to edit shit in their little editor, multiple steps just to start recording, etc.

Sharex is pretty gewd

but you could've found this shit on the wiki you fucking plebe
>>
>>52356889
>https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
its not working right now, evaluating sharex now
>>
>>52356889
I am actually completely blown away by just how good ShareX is. It is beyond anything I could have imagined and perfect in every way, and open source on top of it all. Absolutely incredible, thank you for posting this.

This thing shows up nowhere on search engines, and that's a huge shame. The YouTube videos on it only have a few hundred views.
>>
>>52356861

It may be what you said but I'm pretty sure it can accomplish what you want, you just want something simpler. It's stop good for you basically. Not fair to call it shit because it does more than you expected it too.
>>
>>52357121

>*too good for you
>>
>>52357121
Really appreciate the suggestion though. You should honestly check out ShareX. That shit is unbelievable how good it is.
>>
>>52357145
Yeah I saw the post, gonna check it out also
>>
Open Broadcasting Soiftware has local recording functions.
>>
I still use Windows Media Encoder x64 edition myself, works just fucking fine without issues. Not the easiest thing to set up - it ain't no "start the app, click a button and record" kind of thing, it's vastly more customizable than that and can do live streaming as well with a built-in server.

Again, not for the faint of heart but pretty much a Swiss Army Knife of screen capping and other tools as well.

HATERS GONNA HATE
>>
OBS, it just works.
>>
>>52357145

OBS is decent too. You can set an area and record at 60fps. No zooming in and out or any fancy shit though.
>>
>>52356804
ffmpeg
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop#Windows
>>
>>52357145
I work at a university as the person in charge of all online education videos. We currently use Camtasia but I'm not to satisfied with anything other than the compression of their codec. Thanks for the heads up on this I will definitely be checking it out. /g/ can do good things
>>
Nvidia shadowplay?
Desktop audio gets a really weird "recorded from a mic" feel but otherwise everything works well.
>>
>>52356804
Vokoscreen
>>
File: e3.webm (2 MB, 850x656) Image search: [Google]
e3.webm
2 MB, 850x656
>>52358641

camtasia is shit.. not sure why but for some reason it can't do like above 20fps recording

obs and sharex can both do 60fps easily.. though you might need a decent gpu if you do fullscreen 1080p 60fps recording
>>
>>52357082
Absolutely my feeling when I first discovered it two years or so ago. It's not a very good screen recorder, though.

>>52356804
I recommend Open Broadcaster Software (OBS). The quality is really great.
I didn't bother to read your post, though, so I don't know what you want.
>>
File: output.webm (209 KB, 557x504) Image search: [Google]
output.webm
209 KB, 557x504
screen2webm
>>
>>52360311
>It's not a very good screen recorder, though.
how so? just curious? has tons of options and performs well for me.
>>
>>52356804
Shadowplay and Dxtory. Both record on hardware level into raw video with lossless compression, almost no impast on performance. The former only works on Nvidia GPUs, the latter isn't very stable and sometimes desyncs sound or has wacky framerates.
>>
>>52359003
> click image
> neglect to check extension
> shit bricks when shit starts moving by itself. immediately disconnect myself from wifi because thought raep inbound

Well played sir.
>>
OBS

it just werks
>>
File: 1426675304855.png (6 KB, 297x329) Image search: [Google]
1426675304855.png
6 KB, 297x329
>>52356804
>need something
>get told to google it like that is a good way to good software efficiently or even hardware reviews
>>
>>52356860
What the fuck are they going to know?
>>
Obs.started using it today. If your video card can handle it, you might want to use a custom buffer rate and set the max bitrate to 0. I used the stock settings and 60fps was a blurry mess whenever I can around in game(dark souls 2). Setting to 0 tells the program to go as high as it wants. Built in x264 encoding too. 6 minute video of me getting butt fucked on ng+3 and bonfire ascetic 8 Throne Watched and defender was only 242MB. Saves it as a standard .mp4 file where you want.

/g/ approved too because available on all platforms, free as in freedom (I think), and completely open source.
>>
>>52361485
Do these have hidden "you are not authorized to record copyrighted property" software blocks or do they just ignore HDCP/Macrovision and such?
>>
ffmpeg with a good script is good
>>
>>52356804
OBS file output, you can even use NVENC for pretty much 0 performance impact on whatever you're doing.
>>
File: out.webm (995 KB, 1364x768) Image search: [Google]
out.webm
995 KB, 1364x768
Use OBS, lads. Even a shitty Intel HD from 2011 can handle 60fps recording.

For some reason my system only has x264, so webm conversion comes later.

Works great on Windows and Linux!
>>
>>52360827
I think it's all right for casual use, but the options, in comparison to OBS, are limited.
And it doesn't seem to always work right after installing.
>>
>>52356804
OBS
OBS Multiplatform
OBS VCE fork (if you're an AMDfag)
>>
>try OBS
>just want to record an area of the screen
>need to drag the whole thing outside the window and mess up with zoom

why can't I just select an area?
>>
nvidia shadowplay

it works
>>
>>52362511
How does that infinite loop not cause a memory leak...? I figure they would've programmed that kind of thing out of an application designed to run also on shittier OSes like one of the more poorly kerneled Linux software package distributions.
>>
>>52356804
ffmpeg + x11grab then ffmpeg again to encode
>>
Unregistered hypercam 2
>>
>>52362750
You can, window selection, sub-region
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.