[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ Recently got a new 980ti (pic related). Other than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2
File: 81799ZvyoZL._SL1500_.jpg (252 KB, 1500x1263) Image search: [Google]
81799ZvyoZL._SL1500_.jpg
252 KB, 1500x1263
Hey /g/

Recently got a new 980ti (pic related). Other than needing to run MSI Afterburner to keep the fans working properly, seems fine... except for in some games?

For some reason, in Fallout 4, load times seems incredibly long, and there's a bit of stutter randomly. Same for fucking Hearthstone- there's huge framerate dips and stalling in that simple of a game.

Witcher 3, on the other hand, runs on ultra settings at 60 FPS quite well, never really peaking 75*C either.

My old card was a 660ti, so this should be a massive step up, yet some things hang that really shouldn't (or didn't before), and yet the most intensive thing works swimmingly. I really have no idea; I have the most up to date driver, I got rid of old crap, even disabled motherboard's built in thing, yet still have this issue in some stuff. The only thing I've read is to do a full OS reinstall but that seems silly, and I'd really rather not if I didn't have to (especially if it ends up not fixing it either).

Any thoughts? Thanks
>>
>>52356789
Also I lied, pic not related, that apparently is a 970
>>
>>52356789
Bump
>>
>>52356789
What is the rest of your setup?
>>
This is what you get for buying nshittia you fucking tool
>>
>>52357084
i7 4790k, 16GB, OS running on a SSD (though games are on a HDD)
I'd just have assumed I fucked something up if things hadn't worked fine before changing cards

>>52357151
Thanks hun
>>
>>52357171
Try one of the games on the SSD? It helps me with load times, no idea about the stutter though
>>
>>52357198
Yeah, just bugs me that it worked fine beforehand. Only thing that's changed is the GPU, and it was a serious upgrade so what the hell
>>
>>52357229
Do you have the latest drivers?
>>
>>52356789
i think fallout 4 might be badly optmized for 900 series.
>>
>>52357342
Yep, I figured that was the problem but clean/complete installed and all that jazz

>>52357375
Huh, I could accept that as just a matter of fact thing, especially when Witcher 3 is nearly flawless. Still no clue why Hearthstone suddenly sucks though
>>
>>52356789
I have the same setup as you and i do feel like the load times are a bit longer then i feel it should be but it isn't anything over 30 seconds. What SSD do you have?
>>
>>52357395
I know you said you have updated drivers, but make sure it's the GeForce 358.91 WHQL driver (update for fallout 4)
>>
>>52356789
Keep the fans working properly in what sense? I ask because you know they stay turned off untill it reaches a certain load/temp. So you can play shit games without them turning on at all.
>>
>>52356789

You probably use Windows 10
>>
>>52357484
Good god, 30 seconds for what? That's nearing Bloodborne times. I meant more like 10 versus... 5 or so how they used to be.
Hearthstone hangs for a second or so, but that's huge compared to when it... never did.

>>52357543
I've got 361.43... should I revert?

>>52357551
Yeah, I know it's supposed to not run until like 40 or so, but I think the curve was terribly off. It runs just fine with Afterburner though and has the temp display too, so I'm fine with that

>>52357585
>>
>>52357551
Just to keep them running at a different curve than stock bios (which doesn't spin until a high enough temp).
>>
So I don't know if this could be the problem, but maybe hearthstone is trying to use your cpu instead of the newly installed gpu? Have you looked in the nvidia settings to make sure everything's in order?
>>
>>52357597
>I've got 361.43... should I revert?
361.43 should be fine, but it may be worth trying if nothing else works
>>
>>52357696
Huh, is there a way to check that? nothing in game gives that option, and I even used the GeforceExperience program thing to "optimize" it (which I'd assume means is using it)
Would be interesting if that were somehow the case though

>>52357817
Yeah, might if nothing else
>>
>>52357908
Try right clicking on the geforce experience icon in the bottom-right icon tray and see if you have something like "nvidia settings" or something like that. It can you a lot of info about your global and app-specific settings, like the dynamic super resolution, DSR smoothness and nvidia ambient occlusion options. There's something in there that'll show what processing unit it's using for the application
>>
>>52358060
According to that it should be fine, so no idea. Maybe it's something else. Thanks for the help though. I really don't want to return the card or anything, and the fact that it can more or less max Witcher 3 at mostly 60 while only 75 after a few hours makes me think it can't be the card being a lemon, since I'm sure it wouldn't be able to do that then.
>>
>>52356789
Goto nvidia control panel and set the power management setting to performance. Then on msi afterburner set power limit to 125%. Reboot the pc and test these games again.

I had the same problems just a few days ago with my 980 (non ti) when playing assassin's creed syndicate. I have a feeling it was the latest drivers since it only started happening after I updated.
>>
>>52356789
I have the same problems with fallout 4, that game is just a pile of shit built on an ancient game engine. My system is similar, 3570K, 980ti, but also have games on an SSD. Still really long FO4 load times.
>>
>>52358169
Oh yeah another thing is I'm running windows 10 and I thought it possibly might be fucking with my games because I heard some games need to be reinstalled to run properly on windows 10 after I had this stuttering and short freezing problem when playing gta 5. I just ran the game in compatibility mode for windows 7 and everything worked fine.
>>
>>52356789
fallout 4 load times are long for many people. Running it from an SSD improves load times by like 90%.
>>
>>52358189
My brother is playing FO4 on his 970 and it runs relatively well on max settings 1080p, outdated engines aside. He tells me that there's only a slowdown with really cluttered areas. Maybe OP is playing at an unrealistically high resolution. It wouldn't explain his issue with hearthstone though...
>>
>>52356789
Idiot. There's no point having an SSD if you're not running your games off it.
>>
>>52358293
You shouldn't have an entire library on an SSD, The space is too precious. It's wiser to run your more frequently played games off an SSD and keep the rest on the hard drive.
>>
>>52358360
>The space is too precious
wut, you can get a good 500gb SSD for like $200. I have a dedicated OS/programs SSD and one for games. As long as you don't keep lots of newer single player games installed at once, it's plenty of space.
>>
>>52358293
I keep all my graphic/design programs on my SSD. I don't really want to fill it up with games. Thanks.

>>52358291
Just 1920x1080 at the moment. Yes, I know the card is overkill for that.

>>52358169
Huh, I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks.

>>52358189
Yeah, it's just now it has weird hangs randomly and longer load times. Normal framerate is fine even maxed except for these random stutters
>>
>>52358443
>As long as you don't keep lots of newer single player games installed at once, it's plenty of space.

>newer single player games

We're talking about FO4

> games installed at once

Some people don't have that kind of internet to redownload games on a whim, anon ;_;
>>
>>52356789
Check your GPU usage with Afterburner while playing those games, also you seem really clueless for someone with such a high end rig, that's a bummer
>>
>>52358698
I'm well aware most modern games are like 50 gigs each, there are a bunch on my drive. What do you do, just leave all your games installed all the time? I play a game and delete it, so I'll usually have a few multiplayer games and a few single player games installed at once.
>>
File: j.png (385 KB, 740x632) Image search: [Google]
j.png
385 KB, 740x632
>>52356789
JUST
>>
fallout 4 is just a piece of shit anon, doesn't matter what your hardware is like
>>
My Fallout 4 lags like shit w/ the slightest addition to mods and i'm running a ZOTAC 980ti Amp!, i'm pretty sure it's just shit optimization. I'd test it out in other AAA titles and see how well it runs
>>
>>52358808
That is a lovely picture haha.

I realized it was from when I was looking at 970s...after posting it.

>>52358814
I'm quite aware. The main thing to me is that it seems to run -worse- now. Sure, graphics can be set higher, but it stutters and takes longer to load.
>>
>>52356789
Fallout 4 has some weird game timing issues still (think Skyrim and Fallout 64hz stuff). Although with Vsync off it does well other than tearing.

My best advice is to run Adaptive VSync to 60hz. Also even though you might have turned godrays off, go back and check it again. The setting doesn't stick sometimes. Low or Off is recommended. That feature sucks the performance worse than anything. Also use FXAA instead of TXAA. Running the same on my MSI GTX 970 and it's beautiful smooth.
>>
>>52358904
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Any idea on the Hearthstone issue though? I mean... it runs about as well as it does on my phone now
>>
>>52358698
>Some people don't have that kind of internet to redownload games on a whim

An alternative is to have an SSD for performance, and an HDD for cheap storage. Put games on the SSD to play them, then use steammover to move them to the HDD when you're done so there's no need to redownload later if you want to play again
>>
>>52358860
>>52358867

download some performance mods. Vanilla texture optimization made a noticeable improvement for me, doesn't reduce visual quality. There are a few others too, such as the dynamic shadows mod
>>
>>52358928
If you OC'd your card, you might want to try lowering the clock. Even if it's stock i've heard it might work.

If you're using Windows 10, you could always:
1. Search for "Compatability" in the bottom left of Windows taskbar.
2.Click on the "Run Programs Made for Previous Versions of Windows"
3. Select Hearthstone and let the shit run

and see if that works.
>>
>>52359081
Well, I think it is the OC version, so I could try that.

I'm on 7, so that shouldn't be an issue?
>>
>>52359122
Hmm. If you're running 7 then it shouldn't be an issue for sure. An issue a ton of people have w/ frame rates in Blizzard games can be solved by deleting the cache, so you could try that.

Close open Blizzard programs.
Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager.
Click the Processes tab.
Select agent.exe and click End Process.
Navigate to the folder containing the cache directory:
Press Windows Key+R to open the Run dialogue.
Type the following into the Run field and press Enter:
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10: C:\ProgramData\
If a Blizzard Entertainment folder exists in the directory, right-click it and select Delete.
Restart the Battle.net Desktop App and relaunch the game.

>copied that shit directly from the site, apologies if it's structured weird.
>>
>>52359057
Steammover, huh. Sounds good, thanks for the info
>>
>>52359149
Yeah it's silly that it isn't a built in feature in Steam, but someone created a program to move the files between drives
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.