[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FUTURE IS NOW
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
File: ehang4.jpg (40 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
ehang4.jpg
40 KB, 620x413
Ehang 184
>>
>chinese
>aircraft
nopenopenope
>>
>HOVER TIME 23 MINUTES
>>
Cool idea and I see it working one day, but hopefully the licensing is extremely restrictive. 99% of drivers shouldn't even be allowed to operate a motor vehicle. You try to allow the average person to fly even the safest aircraft and you're going to have people dying left and right. Which would be fine by me, except the government' kneejerk response would be to ban everyone from flying them.
>>
downward motors are full retard

enjoy your bent shafts
>>
preorder bonus comes with ChangHong tv's installed
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 400x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 400x384
>hover time is 23 minutes
>takes 2 to 4 hours to recharge
>>
>>52356788
I think that it's somehow automated... or that was my impression from the description of this things... but that doesn't make it much better, for other reasons.
>>
Can someone explain to me why these drone thingies have become so popular

R/C aircraft, including planes, helicopters and multicopters, have been a thing for years. But now suddenly everyone and their mom is sooooo into drones
>>
>>52357092
because they are easier to buy prebuilt.

also fpv
>>
>>52356962
90% of a time you own a vehicle, that vehicle is parked
>>
>>52357092
Quadcopters can hover in one place and are much more stable.
Also the prices for batteries dropped in the last decade, the electro motors became way more powerful and FPV flying is a thing now.
Not to mention the heavy influx of cheap chinese RC multicopters making the hobby more known.
Standalone ready to fly drones are the reason why it boomed - not many people can be arsed to get every part on the internet and solder it together when they just can get the newest DJI Phantom at Walmart.
>>
>>52357289

tfw too poor to step into jet territory
>3000+ bucks just for the engine

EDFs are nice but it's just not the same as an actual turbojet engine

rotorcraft are boring though, fuck drones.
>>
>Charging time: 2 hours to 4 hours
>>
This will be bigger than Tesla.
>travel to work
>charge while at work
>fly home
>charge overnight
>>
>>52357539
unless you have to go somewhere 24 minutes away.
>>
>>52357559
First generation craft, ford model T could only go 100 miles a day when it was new
>>
>>52357539

Yes anon I'm sure this will replace cars as the main transport. Soon we're gonna see hundreds of these things flying over our heads in every city.

Sure thing, anon. Not a fad or anything.
>>
All we need is just a improved wireless transmission of electricity. then were living in the future. power will be look upon as a cellphone signal.
>>
>>52357559

Flying time is faster than driving time.
>>
>>52356701
>just kill everyone when you make an emergency landing in a crowd!
>>
>rated weight 100kg
That rules out the American market.

And to be fair, the British, Australian and New Zealand too.
>>
One of the things that got me thinking seriously about autonomous flying vehicles was the Ken Burns documentary Horatio's Drive, which is about the first person to drive a car across the U.S. (The drive happened in 1903.) I was struck by how much automobile naysayers in 1903 sounded like autonomous flying vehicle naysayers of the early 21st century. Not that Horatio Jackson's success driving across the U.S. in 1903 says anything at all about autonomous flying vehicles today. But the comments of the naysayers demonstrate just how bad most of us are at seeing major changes that are right on the cusp of happening.
>>
>>52356701
>rated weight 100kg
so nothing for the average /g/
>>
>>52357197
And? What If I make take a 15 minute commute somewhere and have to leave in less than an hour?
>>
>>52359216
Charge it while it's parked.
>>
>>52359246
>battery is more than halfway drained
>charging for less than an hour
>0%-100% takes 2-4 hours
Good idea, genius.
>>
>100kg
>NOT FOR FAT AMERIKEKS
>>
>>52356788
I bet you're in that 99% you condescending fuck
>>
>>52357092
because they're leaps and bounds better, and can send live video feed at a much cheaper price at a much greater quality...it's not hard to understand if you're not a total retard
>>
>>52357092
Also afaik this isn't an rc quadrotor it's a 200kg vehicle.
>>
When I consider it as a non-engineer, I think that 20 years from now we won't even recognize things. City parking will be a thing of the past as everybody's car will drive off and park itself in some underground or off-site parking facility, waiting to be summoned back later in the day.

Or you'll drive it to work for 7am, then send it home again by itself so your partner can use it to take the kids to school for 8:30. Then it'll drive itself home to charge.

Or you'll split a car between your family and your brother/sister/parents as it'll drive freely between homes depending on who needs it.

Traffic jams won't exist. Kids will talk incredulously about how we used to drive cars MANUALLY, even when tired, or drunk.
>>
>>52356701
I'd feel a lot more safe in something like that if it were a hexacopter instead of a quadcopter.
>>
>>52356701
Good luck flying in NewYork with that thing top kek
>>
wouldn't catch me dead in that thing
>>
>>52357197
90 percent of the time you drive a vehicle you are going more then 23 minutes away
>>
File: china number1.jpg (35 KB, 531x528) Image search: [Google]
china number1.jpg
35 KB, 531x528
>2017: Truly autonomous vehicles become available, able to drive themselves from city to city in all weather conditions.
>2020: Autonomous vehicles are becoming fairly common in businesses that have the most to gain through it (eg. long haul shipping), but still very uncommon for commuter cars.
2025: Autonomous cars are now accepted as relatively normal by the mainstream population and most people want one, but most people still don't have one.
>2030: Most people have an autonomous vehicles by then.
>>
>>52360094
and before this happens we will have self crashing cars
>>
>>52360176

Nope. This is flying, not driving btw. Much faster.
>>
>>52360202
Cars are already self crashing. The meatbag at the wheel just has to fall asleep or stop paying attention.
>>
>>52360220
the computer at the wheel can crash or suffer an error computers are not anywhere near flawless fagboy
>>
>>52360189
I hope that one day I'll be able to go out to my car in the morning to find that it already started itself to warm up 15 minutes ago. Then I'll kick back and relax while it drives me to work with no interaction on my part other than to select my destination.
>>
>>52360242
what if you fall asleep?
>>
>>52360238
The computer in your head is far more error prone than the ones in Google or Tesla's vehicles. 30,000 people are killed by flesh and bone drivers ever year. If automated vehicles are just 10% less deadly that will mean thousands of lives saved every year.
Oh, and so far all of Google's accidents were caused by other human drivers or dumb humans taking control of the vehicle.
>>
>>52360254
Then I'd get a nice nap along the way. The vehicle is still going to drive me to where I want to go.
>>
>>52360259
look motherfucker i never learned to drive if we have self drving cars what excuse do i have anymore? i dont want to have good things happen to me
>>
>>52360267
is it going to wake you up when you arrive?
>>
>>52360287
My GPS typically emits a fairly loud "You have now reached your destination" when I get to where I'm going, so I don't see why my car couldn't do the same thing.
Besides, falling asleep in my self driving vehicle is a pretty trivial thing to worry about.
>>
>workplace is 20 minute flight away
>get ready to take off, fly to the city
>because every idiot has one of these helicopters now all the landing zones are crowded with other people trying to land
>have to wait until the others are done so I have the navigating space to land
>wait for 5 minutes
>die
>>
>>52360310
>dont wake up
>late to work
>important day big meeting
>boss fires you
>can no longer charge self driving car
>cant get new job because of this
>>
>>52358973
no you're thinking of self-driving cars
>>
>retards decapitating each other with the rotors
>>
>>52356701
>14.4 KWh
>use it for 1.5 hours
>20 KWh
>mfw that's what a complete household uses in a full day
>>
>>52356701
Price? Gas consumption per second with avrage weight? or are you tell me it runs on duracell?
>>
File: 162[1].jpg (134 KB, 982x631) Image search: [Google]
162[1].jpg
134 KB, 982x631
>>52356727
Chinks can't even build Cessnas right.

>“Cessna President and CEO Scott Ernest is signaling that Skycatcher, the company’s low-cost, Chinese-built light-sport aircraft, has been relegated to the history books. “There’s no future,” Ernest said when asked about the aircraft at a Cessna press conference Oct. 21 at the NBAA convention in Las Vegas. Asked if that meant the project would be discontinued, he replied, “No future.” Skycatcher was launched six years ago with great fanfare by Ernest’s predecessor, Jack Pelton. Offered at an introductory price of $109,500, the aircraft attracted 720 orders worth more than $75 million in the first three weeks after launch, and backlog ultimately topped 1,000. But the project was bedeviled by manufacturing problems at its Chinese partner. Cessna also was forced to raise Skycatcher’s price, which caused its backlog to evaporate.
>>
>10 minute actual flight time
>$500,000 pricetag
>pain in the ass licensing requirements
>no autorotation
>death by motor failure
>>
>>52356962

proof of concept more than anything, battery tech will improve
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.