[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me or is this thing just completely fucked? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: RaspberryPi.jpg (2 MB, 4217x2811) Image search: [Google]
RaspberryPi.jpg
2 MB, 4217x2811
Is it just me or is this thing just completely fucked? I've had mine for about 3 years now and I can not get anything at all to work with it.
>>
what have you tried to get working with it?

i use mine for heaps of different things... it runs 24/7
>>
Mine's been happily sitting plugged into my TV since release; providing on-demand services, streaming from other devices, and occasionaly recording live TV.
Well worth it for the investment in my case. Far nicer to use than a proprietary TV box or smart TV, and cheaper than building a meaningful media centre
>>
>>52356670
The last OS(debian which came on a preinstalled SD card) got corrupted for no reason whatsoever, I think I had only connected it to the internet once at that point. Now more recently I've tried to get an adafruit touchscreen working with it; got the display to work but no touchscreen, put it down for a few days because I had work and now the god damn thing will not bring me to the dekstop, and I can't even use a second monitor instead of the touchscreen(even when the touchscreen is completely removed from the device. I refuse to believe that one touchscreen destroyed the OS(Jessie) which was clean installed a few days prior.
>>
>>52356659
It's just you. I've lost count of the number of them I have doing various things.
>>
>>52356718
If you're having mysterious filesystem corruption problems, it might be that you're using a power supply that's too weak.
>>
>>52356740
It has been two completely different power supplies between these two issues. Also I didn't mention that everything is given 'OK' while it's booting up, then it just goes to a black screen with a flickering ' _ ' that accepts no input.
>>
>>52356723
That's what people keep saying. Name one useful thing you are actually doing with them.

Protip: you cant
>>
>>52356776
mine has a 4TB portable hardrive connected to it and is seeding around 2TB of torrents for private trackers.

it's also hosting a mumble server for about 10-15 of my mates which is used every day

then http, ftp servers, a vpn for me to use my phone while at uni and circumvent the url filtering, and some other stuff which i've probably forgotten
>>
I want to like this thing, but why do I feel like I have to bend my own arm behind my back to get anything done with this?

Whatever, guess I'll reinstall a new operating system. Again.
>>
>>52356846
once you get everything set up then it's fine and you never need to touch it again... it's worth it
>>
>>52356872
Yeah, that's what I told myself when I got the touchscreen to actually display something.
>>
>>52356898
I don't want to be this angry at a tiny computer. I have such a great idea of what I want to, and what I am capable of doing with it. It's just making things so complicated.
>>
>>52356776
Acting as a media center on just about every TV I have access to. General purpose low-power SSH/remote access box. VNC and bittorrent. Running various shell scripts for useful stuff in an otherwise Windows-only environment at work.

Nothing that can't be done with Linux running on an average PC, I guess, but being small and not using much power is a definite plus.
>>
>>52356659
>thought i could use it as print server for my old usb printer
>download samsung drivers
>only binaries
>not compiled for ARMV6L

MOAFSOIFJA
>>
>>52356776
I've got three.
1. Media server connected to an external hard drive. It runs MPD and is attached to my stereo via an external dac. It runs a plex server for use with my roku. All of my devices with Kodi pull from this server.
2. 24/7 torrent box and owncloud server
3. Dedicated Kodi box hooked up to the TV in my bedroom.
It seems like maybe you are just having trouble setting one up to do anything useful.
>>
mine hangs non-stop. even used the adafruit recommended 1A wall wart. it now collects dust.
>>
File: 2016-01-11_03-27-392.webm (373 KB, 642x386) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-11_03-27-392.webm
373 KB, 642x386
>>52356659
>sudo apt-get update
>this happens
>>
Well I got Wheezy to install so hopefully things will finally fall into place with this godforsaken thing.
>>
One single reboot and everything is fucked. Am I cursed to break all technology I touch or something? This is just becoming unbelievable at this point.
>>
Have you tried another SD card
>>
>>52357582
Yes, the original one became corrupted and it cannot be used for jack shit now. This one that I had the issue with the touchscreen was a brand new one I bought 5 days ago.
>>
>>52356776
Kodi
IRC backlog
Torrent seedbox
Security camera

That's what I'm doing with the ones I have.
>>
File: woop.png (248 KB, 631x497) Image search: [Google]
woop.png
248 KB, 631x497
Does anyone know a way that I could have my server turn on automatically when accessed, even over the internet from outside my local network? Besides that, my server seems to be running pretty well.
>>
>>52356659
just install an OS on the sd card then plug 'er in.
>>
>>52356659
Which one would be the best one to get these days?
>>
>>52359918
get a Pi 2. It has a modern ARM architecture and 1GB ram. Draws more power but any 2A psu should handle it.
>>
I tried raspbian and ubuntu MATE and both were slow as balls.

can't do video. looked like garbage. wtf? did I do something wrong? did I miss a critical step necessary to watch youtube?

just wanted to use it for retro game emulation and occasional youtube/music streaming onto a TV.
>>
>>52356776
My RPi Model B acts as an SSH gateway to my SPARC system's serial console, is connected to my scanner (forwarding xsane over SSH for remote usage), and has been used to control ASIC cryptocoin miners over USB.

My Rpi2 Model B actually served as a desktop replacement on the hottest days this summer when even an A/C couldn't cool my apartment enough to allow running my full sized PC. Ditch the bloattacular stock environment and run an ARMv7 distro with a lightweight WM and browser and a bunch of terminals and it's usable.
>>
>>52356659
I got one that controls all the lights in my house, via phone & a relay.. and voice activated also switches on 3 & 4 ways

I have another that does all the weather shit outside, and 3 more media clients inside and 1 that is a media server

and I have 2 at my ranch that control feeding of bison as well as temperature up there

why are you so fucking retarded OP?
>>
>>52359856
you mean wake up on lan?
>>
>>52356689
>recording live TV.
What source ? DVB-T ?
Your lying...
>>
File: IMG_20151106_215300.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151106_215300.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>52356659
I use it as a webserver (aka frontend) for muh self build laptiming shit for motocross.
The other one for openElec aka kodi
and the other one to open my garage dor via smartphone widget
>>
>>52356826
You're a good man.
>>
I have 2 collecting dust. Have no real use for them
>>
File: 52e7a5c884455.jpg (80 KB, 1317x1400) Image search: [Google]
52e7a5c884455.jpg
80 KB, 1317x1400
>>52356659
At some point it's just you, anon.
>>
>>52356776
I've got one in my kitchen working as an IP cam so I can see if my toaster is done toasting bread. Yes, I'm this much of a lazy fuck.

It also works as a media server, I've got a small 1TB USB HDD attached to it
>>
>>52356659
>Is it just me or is this thing just completely fucked?
What the fuck kind of post is this?
your asking us if you Rpi is broken... but you have a stock picture and no info about what is actually wrong with it!?!?!?
fuck off
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-01-11_11-31-27.png (186 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-01-11_11-31-27.png
186 KB, 1920x1200
>>52356776
Browsing this thread

Ignore the unfinished rice. Its still boiling.
>>
>>52357068
>Dedicated Kodi box hooked up to the TV in my bedroom.

Kodi requires remote controller, wifi,and a bunch of other shit totalling up to $80+.

At that point, a NUC is almost more cost-effective.
>>
>>52362940

wifi - $10 dongle, or just use a cable
remote - use the kore app on android

That suits my needs, yours may differ though.

Works pretty much out of the box with OSMC assuming you have a TV, HDMI cable, power supply and some sort of NAS already.
>>
>>52362940

What are you talking about?

Get a wireless dongle from yum cha land for $2.

>>52356776

Currently mine is running OpenHAB, and so far I've only installed three Wi-Fi sockets (Kankun Small K) so I can switch on the home theater suite remotely.

Today I installed a DHT22 temperature/humidity sensor outside the case and an infrared transceiver inside so I can remotely control the TV and aircon.

Got a 433mhz transceiver there to hook up some motion sensors as well, so the TV pauses when we have somebody at the door, or switches everything on when we're in front of the TV.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.