[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need an advice /g/, I have a laptop and I need more space,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: docking station vs regular hdd.png (1 MB, 1848x973) Image search: [Google]
docking station vs regular hdd.png
1 MB, 1848x973
I need an advice /g/, I have a laptop and I need more space, which option is the best? a docking station with normal HDD or a a esternal WD mybook/elements etc.?
Do these docking station actually work? Can you recommend me a good one?
>>
>>52349221
shameless self bump
>>
Do you need to hot-swap multiple drives (i.e. accessing data on an old HDD 2 times a month)?
>get a docking station

Do you want permanent 24/7 available external storage?
>get an external enclosure

it's not hard.
>>
>>52349221

Docking stations are for temporary use. Using a bare, unprotected drive like that on the regular is idiocy.

If you care about being mobile, then obviously your best bet is a 2.5 inch drive in a small case.

If you don't care about being mobile, then maybe your best option is a WD My Book attached to the NAS port on your router.

Or maybe you need to transfer big files often, and USB 3 direct to the laptop is your best bet.

I dunno, do the thinking yourself.
>>
>>52350814
>>52350807
thanks I just wanted to know about using docking station 24 7, guess I'll get a MyBook
>>
>>52350849

I have two MyBook drives here. 2.7 TB and 3.6 TB (so "3TB" and "4TB"). The 2.7 is at least three years old and sees use almost daily. Great drives.
>>
>>52351038
since you're here, can I download directly on the drive? does it automatically turn off when I shut down the PC? Is it fast and responding when opening a file (movie)?
>>
>>52351133
>since you're here, can I download directly on the drive?

WTF does that even mean? It's a drive, dude. Can you "download directly" onto your existing drive?

> does it automatically turn off when I shut down the PC?

The drive will generally shut down after X minutes, where X minutes is set in your OS preferences.

The only drives I've ever known to have a mind of their own were really old WD externals (the ones with the rubber ring so you could stack them). Those pieces of shit would spin up every hour or something and run some self-check. It was obnoxious.

> Is it fast and responding when opening a file (movie)?

If the drive hasn't been accessed in more than X minutes and has shut down, then you have to wait for it to spin up. If you're actively using the drive, I find mine to be about as fast over USB 3.0 as my internal drives are. I get around 130 MB/s transfer rate.
>>
Remove your optic drive bay and install an SSD there
>>
>>52349221
I literally use an old tower connected to my network and mount via sshfs my 2TB drive
>>
>>52349221
>2016
>still considering HDD
>>
>>52353282
you say he should go for ssd as backup and storage unit? you're dumb
>>
>>52353282
Point me too the 10 TB SSD
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.