[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think of the Mac Pro?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: MacPro2013_35781456_14.jpg (53 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
MacPro2013_35781456_14.jpg
53 KB, 770x433
What does /g/ think of the Mac Pro?
>>
Looks like a trash can with the case on. Looks like a star wars prop with the case off.
It's overpriced either way, but if you want one and buy one, it's none of my business to tell you to not do that, l guess.
>>
>Take to school
>teacher thinks it's a bomb.
>>
File: 4L_Y69cpqCL.jpg (214 KB, 1400x800) Image search: [Google]
4L_Y69cpqCL.jpg
214 KB, 1400x800
A bit disappointing. The brilliant part about the original tower pros were their modularity and the ability to upgrade pretty much anything for the long haul. These things are fairly upgradable, but there's limited room, and the layout makes it a bit awkward. You can't really change the gpu, and changing the cpu is a hassle. Also, most extensions need to be external since the thing is so small i.e. additional storage.
>>
that price tag is too ridiculous
>>
Oh I finally get what it is. I never saw it "open" until now. neato . not worth it for the price though
>>
>>52349076
Great idea considering the amount of hardware they were able to cram into that volume, but apparently it has overheating issues, so the chosen thermal design doesn't seem to work out as well as hoped.
The GPUs they used were also outdated by the time the Mac Pro came out. (Radeon HD 6970 equivalents when 7970 was already out)
>>
>>52349076
I generally like the design, and the form factor is pretty impressive. However, its lack of expandability pretty much completely kills it for all but lower end/amateur production.

If they can update the design to make it expandable somehow, I'd call it good.
>>
>>52349076
Honestly, opened up it looks pretty sexy. Esp. for an Apple ware.
Still, it's overpriced and overpowered machine for my desktop needs and underpowered and not robust enough for my workstation/server needs. I suppose someone might find it useful.
inb4 macfag vs wincuck vs linux dumass battle royale about inane bullshit
>>
>>52349170
>being an arab
>>
>>52349231
>Ive gone wrong
>>
>>52349076
it's $3000 for a $1000 pc, which is a really obvious cash grab and makes me worried about tech illiteracy
>>
>>52349076
The gpus was terrible
>>
File: ahmed-mohamed-clock-bomb.jpg (39 KB, 790x411) Image search: [Google]
ahmed-mohamed-clock-bomb.jpg
39 KB, 790x411
>>52349170
>>
>>52349318
>it's great that they crammed everything together, and had them share a heatsink, too bad it overheats for some reason.
>>
>>52349806
Where the fuck do you get a W9100 for less than 1k?
>>
>>52349922
The heatsink is a solid 1kg block of aluminium and heatpipes. It seemed feasible that it might have been able to keep it all cool under load.
>>
>>52349940
https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/

well it's not a w9100 and i couldn't find the price on the dual firepros so if you can find me a price that's good
>>
>>52349076
best bang for the bucks and for the size in workstation market IF you get the lowest spec and proceed to buy the 15 core lga2011 xeon, and your own 64gb ddr3 kit, both 15c cpu and non ECC memory are confirmed to be just werks in it. oh and dont forget to sell the leftover xeon, many iTard are hunting ex macpro xeons in ebay because they think what apple got must be the best batch of it.

yes, the gpu is surely outdated now (tahiti based) but its openCL performance are still top notch compared to other branded workstation
>>
Is poverty a mental illness?
>>
>>52349076
It's an interesting concept badly executed.

The challenge is to try build a pro rig that is not the classic huge tower, without gimping the performance. And do something new, in the process (ie not miniITX).

The result was underwhelming though. The thermal core proved to be inefficient in cooling down 2 GPUs and a CPU, so the end result is that this mac pro has hardware that can't be used to its full potential. It throttles if you try to put both GPUs and CPU under heavy load, power supply to the components is capped to keep temperatures low.

Also, the part on which usually Apple prides itself, the design, is not particularly brilliant. I mean it invites comparison with a trashcan.

Another issue with it is that for graphic/video professionals who are invested in the nVidia ecosystem or who need Cuda, there's no option to have nVidia GPUs.

Maybe this will change in the future, I suppose the decision to go with AMD was made out of logistic and price considerations. But it's ridiculous to claim that this is meant for video professionals if you can't offer that.

So, ultimately, this is probably not the same type of product mac pros were years ago. This is maybe meant for enthusiasts with a lot of money to burn, not for professionals who need very specific things. It's probably part of Apple's strategy to move away from a pro niche to a more mainstream "pro" market, like youtube producers, small-time editors, etc.
>>
>>52349318
>overheating
>>52350184
>The thermal core proved to be inefficient in cooling down 2 GPUs and a CPU

Yeah... if you live in the desert

http://www.digitalproductionme.com/article-9069-apple-mac-pro-users-feel-the-heat/1/print/
>Postproduction professionals in the UAE have expressed their frustration with the latest version of the Apple Mac Pro, which they claim overheats and malfunctions when performing intensive tasks such as rendering 4K footage.

Literally the only credible reports of overheating Mac Pros come from super hot countries such as the UAE.
>>
>>52349076
It's an excellent concept. They tried a different approach to overcome the bottlenecks of the current general purpose workstations around (HP and DELL to name a few). I don't think they got the design 100% right but from what I heard, those who used the machine liked it.

The old Mac Pro was, however, truly leading class and quite cheap when compared to similar workstations.

>>52349170
> Be white
> "Wow anon, what a nice piece of technology you have there"
>>
File: cpugpupower.png (82 KB, 1240x855) Image search: [Google]
cpugpupower.png
82 KB, 1240x855
>>52350227
I don't think those producers in the UAE live in the desert, most likely they work in skyscraper buildings with air conditioning.

Anandtech tested these mac pros when they came out and discovered when you tried to use the GPUs at maximum load, the CPUs power and frequency were going down.

>The GPUs peaked at 97C, which is pretty much as high as a 28nm Tahiti should ever go. The CPU hit a similar temperature, with most cores hovering around 95C. GPU clocks seemed ok, with both GPUs running between 650 - 850MHz (base - boost). The CPU on the other hand dropped down to 2.1GHz (I even saw a short excursion down to 2GHz). Average power while running this workload was 437W, peaking at 463W before CPU throttling kicked in. If you plot out a graph of power vs. time you can see the CPU throttling kick in during the workload.
>>
>>52349076
Woefully underpowered compared to its competitors and its compact design caters to a market that never existed in a really inefficient way. Desks are square, not round, and if you're in the market for even an entry-level workststion like this chances are you're not buying it to look hip and trendy or make maximal use of your infinitesimally limited desk space.

The lack of any sort of internal storage expansion is cool and all if your work doesn't need the speed of a workstation (which you won't be getting even with internal storage options thanks to throttling,) but if it does then you're stuck with attaching a spaghetti of latent external hard disks in overpriced thunderbolt enclosures.

In other words, it's pathetic, and the final nail in the coffin for Apple in the professional hardware market.
>>
>>52349806
>$1,000 for a pair of workststion cards and a mid range (by workststion standards) Xeon alone
yeah, good luck
>>
>>52350446
Yeah, D500 would probably be something like $900-1000 each retail, and D300 something like $500-600 each.
>>
>>52349076
Literally a garbage can
>>
Garbage.

I work in Academic IT for a major STEM university and we used to have people who would buy Mac Pros back before the latest redesign.

I had one prof insist on a new one last year. He replaced it with a better Dell Precision before the year was out.

They suck, OP. Apple seems to have no idea what people actually did with Mac Pros.

I'm glad however, because fewer mac purchases and more PC purchases means less support work for me, and less questions about why popular engineering software isn't available natively on OSX (read: because no one does real work on a Mac).
>>
>>52349233
>Poorfag detected
>>
>>52350619
He replaced it with a laptop?
>>
http://barefeats.com/tube21.html

Outdated as FUCK

Ivy Bridge-E? LOL
Tahiti GPU? LOL
>>
just get a mini itx case if you want something compact
>>
File: Dell_Precision_T1700_01.jpg (105 KB, 805x744) Image search: [Google]
Dell_Precision_T1700_01.jpg
105 KB, 805x744
>>52350716
There's both mobile and stationary Precision workstations.
>>
Looks like a bastard to get the dust out of
>>
>>52350735
the grate design is really unappealing. i wonder why they thought it was a good idea?
>>
>>52350755

It's supposed to be a box you shove under your desk and do real work on, not a gay fashion statement as you check your mail on a $2000 laptop glued to a TV, running an inferior version of Office (because again, Apple doesn't do enterprise).
>>
>>52350776
that case was designed by a 5+ person committee. you can have both form and function if you're not retarded and chained down by a corporate checklist demanding you have things like an ugly ultra high contrast logo.
>>
>>52350619
>I'm glad however, because fewer mac purchases and more PC purchases means less support work for me, and less questions about why popular engineering software isn't available natively on OSX (read: because no one does real work on a Mac).

It's a sad thing there isn't much scientific software written for UNIX.
>>
>>52351154

Most of the bigger packages are available on Linux; Comsol, Matlab, most MSC software, Abaqus, etc.
>>
>>52349076
overpriced junk. low-end hardware like everything apple.
>>
>>52351194

I know, but the more specific you get, especially in engineering, the less Mac-UNIX-Linux friendly it becomes. That wasn't the case 20 years ago.
>>
>>52351333

This is because most engineering software is shit piss garbage.

I know because I have to support it all. blargh
>>
>>52351154
OS X as UNIX has had a LOT of regressions starting with Yosemite. I'd pick GNU/Linux every time for a workstation. Literally the only reasons Apple still has a piece of that market are Microsoft Office and the Adobe suite.

Anything requiring high performance OpenGL, OpenCL, or CUDA is going to do much better on Linux on equivalent hardware, and OS X hasn't had a desktop with a Quadro in years. Linux also shits all over the Trash Can Pro for available hardware options. Want an ATX Full Tower or rackmount case stuffed full of PCIe and SAS SSDs in a ZFS pool? Expensive but ultimately trivial on Linux. Need more network bandwidth? Install a 4x10GbE NIC and go. Need multiple systems on one box? KVM+libvirt and LXD+LXC shit all over anything available on OS X.
>>
>>52350165
Ask americans
>>
File: 1451428478205.jpg (146 KB, 878x900) Image search: [Google]
1451428478205.jpg
146 KB, 878x900
>>
>>52349076
I had no idea this thing even existed in its current form factor until I saw OP's post.
>>
>>52351349
>This is because most engineering software is shit piss garbage.

We agree on that. And since it's niche, there is no incentive to innovate / make the product better

>>52351422
I'm a Mac fan but you are 100% right. Apple is exiting the workstation segment. They are only good at mobile devices.
>>
>>52351154
> there isn't much scientific software written for UNIX.
???
Maybe it's harder to find software for obscure instrumentation, but UNIX and GNU/Linux are pretty big fixtures in science and engineering in the same way OS X is a fixture in desktop publishing and image editing.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.