[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/winvslinux/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 17
File: 8574646_f520.jpg (61 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
8574646_f520.jpg
61 KB, 520x390
Windows vs Linux thread
>>
Name one technology relates thing Windows does better than Linux.
>>
>>52347147
If we're talking modern kernels, then Threading, actually.
>>
>>52347147
Works
>>
>>52347212
Not really, POSIX obliterates Windows.

>>52347217
In the broadest sense of the word.
Windows is a pile of hotfixes and awkward overengineering where Linux is slim, fast, sane and elegant.
>>
>>52347212
microsoft ditched the monolithic (ms-dos) kernel for the hybrid NT kernel for one specific reason:
to control what the kernel can do
>>
why do people make these shitty threads
they contribute absolutely nothing to this board at all
>>
>>52347212
In theory but not in practice.
>>
>>52347116
does linux have SAP software ?
>>
>>52347116
>I do not require software [...], I can handle it all through CLI
>>
>>52347116
Let's see pretty much every Linux user on /g/ is a literal faggot, man child, pedophile, retard or anime watcher. Yeah I don't really take Linux seriously as an OS it's a hobby machine but it will never replace windows or OS X as long as this degenerates keep supporting it.
>>
>>52347529
On the other hand every Windows user is an edgy basement dwelling video gamer and every Mac OS user is a faggot with buyer's guilt who spent his yearly pay from starbucks to show off to his friends.Comparatively Linux users are better.
>>
File: 1452431105511.png (135 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
1452431105511.png
135 KB, 450x300
>>52347529
>faggot
Mac OS
>manchild
Windows users
>Anime Watcher
Everyone except you are
>retard
you
>pedo
There was a desktop thread yesterday and the only one who posted a loli pic was a Windows user
FTFY
>>
>>52347258
>Windows is a pile of hotfixes and awkward overengineering

And also, it's better for work.
>>
>>52347744
Not for technology related work it isn't.
>>
>>52347147

Runs a vast library of useful software.
>>
>>52347744
If your work is sitting in front of computer and uploading videos to youtube yes.
>>
>>52347760
Among which handful good ones other than games,adobe and ms programs runs on both platforms
>>
>>52347147
The only reason I still have windows is the vast library of games that go back as far as direct x does.
>>
>>52347744
To be honest familia I became more productive when I used Linux instead of wasting time playing games.
>>
>>52347760
Debian has fifty thousand packages included in the distribution by default, m8. You just type in the name of whatever kind of software you want into synaptic, e.g. an office suite, and it will give you a whole list of options that you can click install on. Plus there's even more packages floating around on the internet.
>>
File: g.jpg (49 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
49 KB, 520x390
>>52347116
>>
>>52347874
This.
>>
Once Windows was the only choice because it had games, but now piracy have killed windows pc gaming, so now is linux the right choice, because its distros are free.
>>
>>52347212
[citation needed]
If that were true, why is Linux the most used OS for HPC clusters?
>>
File: 1450497946899.jpg (103 KB, 1000x360) Image search: [Google]
1450497946899.jpg
103 KB, 1000x360
Let's all be honest here and agree that this is the most accurate comparison of them all.
>>
File: no time for rice.png (690 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
no time for rice.png
690 KB, 1366x768
Master Race reporting in.

Where my Windows 10 niggas at?
>>
>>52347998
>dark as my soul theme
Kek this ain't 2007 anon
>>
File: drawing2.png (552 KB, 1052x744) Image search: [Google]
drawing2.png
552 KB, 1052x744
Windows is great as long as you never leave the laid down tracks.
>>
>>52347995
>Car analogy
no
>>
>>52348021
I have bad vision and my eyes can't look at white spaces for too long due to floaters becoming visible. I fucked up my eyesight on CRT monitors back in the day.
>>
File: ncta.png (14 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
ncta.png
14 KB, 500x400
Well...
>>
>>52347116
>emeek77
blast from the past
>I do not require software to do my job for me
kek

>>52347258
Linux is a pile of hotfixes and awkward overengineering where BSD is slim, fast, sane and elegant.
>>
>>52348026
What does that mean? Windows can do anything, install any software, any game and even runs servers although not as good as BSD but still it can.

So Linux is the one that has you trapped to a predetermined path of applications and games that are working on Wine.
>>
>>52348039
Because Windows is the most common. Those numbers aren't that different, anyway.
>>
File: Puukaasutin-netti.jpg.jpg (72 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
Puukaasutin-netti.jpg.jpg
72 KB, 600x398
>>52348027

Yeah, this is the Linux-car
>>
>>52348039
>I'll take misrepresentation of data for 500
>>
>>52348039
Nice source you got there
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 640x480
>>52348070
I always thought it was this
>>
File: 1450287715402.jpg (135 KB, 569x422) Image search: [Google]
1450287715402.jpg
135 KB, 569x422
>>52348039
IQ =! Intelligence
IQ =! Creativity
IQ =! Skill
IQ =! Success

When we talk about successful people, it is a combination of cognitive, interpersonal and technical skills that help you succeed in life. IQ is basically being able to solve puzzles which is easy if you have autism. If you lack emotional intelligence and cannot communicate with people, be prepared to be a wage slave forever.

I used to work in HR, so I know how companies screen candidates.
>>
>>52348039
I am very smart and I use Linux I can relate to this picture now I know Linux is the smart people is OS thank you kind sir I will now post this in every OS thread I ever come by
>>
>>52348052
BSD is a pile of hotfixes and awkward engineering where Plan 9 is slim, fast, sane and elegant.
>>
File: microsofttitanic.jpg (23 KB, 390x270) Image search: [Google]
microsofttitanic.jpg
23 KB, 390x270
>>52348063
>Windows can do anything

Run on embedded systems with only a few MB of RAM
Run on super computers, apparently
Support ancient hardware with a 64-bit kernel
Not requiring "activation" or cracks
Distributed block device
Complex firewall, routing and QoS facilities
Multi-head GUI, one PC, many keyboards, monitors and mice

That's without even searching the Internet (please don't use "Google" as a verb)
>>
File: 1451316939583.png (98 KB, 810x1195) Image search: [Google]
1451316939583.png
98 KB, 810x1195
>>52347116
>I do not require software to do my job for me, I can handle it all through CLI
...What?

Oh I see, I got baited.
>>
>>52347998
I thought this was GNOME running i3 as a WM
it looks almost like mine

>>52347995
Well Unix is a very stable, so I think this image is treating OS X a little unfairly.
>>
>>52348027
No, think about it.

""""windows car""""
>extremely generic
>everyone has one
>every technician and mechanic in the 1st world had worked on at least one and has at least some experience
>nothing fancy but hey it will get you from point A to point B just as you want it to
>works

""""linux car""""
>rice
>looks nice, smells nice, sounds nice
>probably is faster than the others
>you gotta know how to take care of it
>doesn't have electronic security features, no traction control, no brake assistance, will kill you if you're not careful
>doesn't start in the winter

""""os x car""""
>pretty shell and buckets of glitter stuck on top of something that's broken by design
>>
>>52348143
>>52348149
Something more like a car without a steering wheel or pedals?
>>
>>52348156
Yea.
>>
>>52348094
It's something old and clunky that has badly integrated parts mounted to it to make it do things that it never was intended to use.

Also, constantly in need of maintenance, lacking performance, a clone of a much better model of its time.

Come on, a minicomputer operating system in a laptop?
>>
>>52348132
> tfw
> Windows 10 IoT for Raspberry Pi
>>
>>52348174
But when it goes, it goes straight as shit, man. And it looks fucking amazing.
>>
If Microsoft built cars:

The car needs to be "activated" before you're allowed to drive.

If you change the Hi-Fi system,. the seat covers and the floor mats, the car stops until you "activate" it again.

Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

Apple would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "General Protection Fault" warning light.

The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.
>>
>>52348182
Linux can run on far weaker systems.
Routers with 16 MB RAM, easily.

And there are almost no Windows ARM applications. Virtually all GNU/Linux applications work on any architecture however.
>>
>>52348203
Maximum kek.
>>
>>52348156
Why? Just because you can't install a shitty h4xo|2 skin on OSX doesn't mean the way you USE it can't be customized.
>>
File: dontgiveaheck.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
dontgiveaheck.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
Comparing Linux to Windows is like comparing a F-16 to a Toyota Camry. Stop comparing them.
>>
>>52348149
>>works
>Something happened. :(

>>doesn't have electronic security features, no traction control, no brake assistance, will kill you if you're not careful
A simple, yet effective permission and privilege system. Optionally things like AppArmor and SELinux, car analogy being spaceship explosive security bolts or something.

>>pretty shell and buckets of glitter stuck on top of something that's broken by design
Arguably pretty, yet inefficient and annoying shell of top of a decently solid Unix system without GNU/bloat. (aside from the filesystem. I wouldn't trust HFS+ to suck my hairy balls. Literally worse than NTFS.)

Although if you actually use and enjoy the Unix part of OS X, you're probably much smarter and give less fucks than the average car analogy-making /g/ poster.
>>
>>52348278
This
>>
File: market share.png (23 KB, 1088x319) Image search: [Google]
market share.png
23 KB, 1088x319
>>52348132
>Run on embedded systems with only a few MB of RAM
I believe Windows 10 was designed to be multi-platform, as for RAM, if you just want a skeleton with a terminal, go for Linux by all means.

>Run on super computers, apparently
What has supercomputers got to do with home and enterprise users which make up 99.99% of the market?

>Support ancient hardware with a 64-bit kernel
Who in their right mind uses ancient hardware with so little resources? Are you trying to be a hipster? Netbooks and laptops are dirt cheap now.

>Not requiring "activation" or cracks
You have the option to buy the software. Most people including me received free Dreamspark license keys and ISO for Windows 7/8/8.1. I upgraded to 10 without any issues. Only idiots pirate and use cracks.

>Distributed block device
>Complex firewall, routing and QoS facilities
>Multi-head GUI, one PC, many keyboards, monitors and mice
>That's without even searching the Internet (please don't use "Google" as a verb)

Rest of your points are just nitpicking the details. The fact is that Windows satisfies the majority of the users and in particular Enterprise and corporations. Linux only runs in the backend on servers.
>>
>>52348149
>""""os x car""""
>terrible gas mileage
>supremely comfortable seat
>partly self-driving
>pleasant to look at
>not gaudy
>rock solid UNIX core
>expensive
>great resale value
>>
>>52348143
I like Gnome 3 UI and squishy interface but it raped my laptop battery with barely 2.5hrs idle time as compared to Windows 10 which is 7hrs on average and Ubuntu 15.10 giving 4.5hrs average.
>>
>>52348278
so windows like the camry can actually get you to point b from point a, while the f16 does nothing except eat up maintenance hours.
got it.
>>
Windows/casual user would actually say "what's an OS?"
>>
>>52348308
>Who in their right mind uses ancient hardware with so little resources? Are you trying to be a hipster?
Why should I throw out fully functional hardware?
My old webcam is perfectly sufficient yet there are no 64-bit drivers for Windows 7.

The oldest working printer I still own and sometimes use is Soviet made. Works out of the box with the latest Linux 64-bit kernel. Even on ARM!
>>
>>52348343
OS = Open source
OS = Operating system

It depends on what you want to see.
>>
>>52348308
>Multi-head is just nit-picking

Extremely cheap and useful solution for info terminals such as in libraries. It's impossible to reach a TCO as low as that with Windows.
>>
>>52348344
Windows Vista was the cut off point for ancient hardware with minimal dual core CPU and 2gb ram requirement. We are now at Windows 10, so if you are too poor to afford decent hardware, stick with Linux by all means.
>>
>>52347268
There's the slimmest of chances a snobby Windows user will come in here to argue and then find out his 5-10 year old info on GNU/Linux is either wrong or not longer true, leading him to potentially switch.
>>52347529
>coming on 4chan when you don't like anime
what?
>>52348181
>nothing but memes
please don't post anymore
>>52347998
I can't even force myself to laugh. Why did you bother?
>>52348063
This post is full of incorrect statements, bad english, and other things that don't make sense. But most importantly
>games
>muh wine
>>>/v/
>>52348278
>car metaphors on a tech board
normies get out
>>52348308
>Rest of your points are just nitpicking the details. The fact is that Windows satisfies the majority of the users and in particular Enterprise and corporations.
GNU/Linux would also satisfy the majority.

No one chose Windows. It came on their computer. There's just no reason to even bring up the marketshare or whether or not it's good enough for "the majority" when they didn't even make a real choice.
>>52348326
>I like Gnome 3 UI
>uses Windows 10
>uses Ubuntu
w-wow you're a walking, talking, meme
>>52348343
This.
>>52348357
I don't think so. I always see "OSS" or one of the even more obnoxious acronymous (FOSS/FLOSS) written. It's a shame "free software" didn't stick.
>>
>>52348382
What a sad, wasteful mindset.
>>
>>52348203

You receive a Linux car for a keg of beer.

Kind of generic, newer was a luxury model, engine is a straight six though and the guy ensures that the transmission has many miles ahead of it.

Has a serious rust problem and the interior consist of a kiddie stool the guy gave you to drive it home.

No biggie, you spend the first weekend installing after market parts and ricing the bitch up, also addressing the rust while you are at it.

As you take it to the first drive, half of you after market gadgets wont work and the dash glows like a christmas tree, but you pay no serious attention. "I'll fix these later", and it's just like the delta sensor or something wrong in the engine. The thing just is, every time you address some problem, new ones tend to crop up.

One time your engine fails in a freeway, but there's no emergency, you call 3 of your car enthuasist friends and together you perform a heroic crakshft change at the roadside and 6 hours later your journey may continue.

The airbag doesn't deploy as there is none. That's because linux drivers don't need such things. For the same reason there is no oil light and the revcounter is replaced by a clock that really doesn't keep time given how often you have to remove the battery.
>>
>>52348357
I'm just saying that 90% of people fall into the casual windows user segment, and few of them would know what an operating system was let alone have an opinion on it.
>>
>>52348337
well if you know how to fly the f-16 it will get you anywhere much quicker than the camry will
>>
>>52348382
>so if you are too poor to afford decent hardware
Hardware rapidly getting better is not an excuse to make poorly optimized software that requires the newer hardware. The Raspberry Pi is probably my favorite example of this. On paper the specs and price probably sound ridiculous to a lot of people, but it's a fully functional computer that can run a desktop OS (although an ARM variant of it, which may limit the software you can use)
>>
>>52348385
Just because I use Windows doesn't mean I didn't distro hop to fulfill the rite of passage of being on /g/. I have Xubuntu and Fedora Gnome on my external drive, I just don't see the point of using them anymore.
>>
>>52348308
Nice to see Windows catching up with Linux
>>
>>52348406
ARM is a joke and so are these raspberry devices. You can play around with them as a hobby but in all seriousness, I can't imagine running my applications and games on these piss weak alternatives.

My 3 year old laptop works just fine with Windows 10.
>>
Why is everyone so angry? Do people really need to justify their choice in technology?

Also if you're using windows please stop posting on this board.
>>
>>52348405
I'm gonna stop you here (not that guy you're talking to) and say that I wish you wouldn't perpetuate the stereotype that GNU/Linux is difficult to use. A lot of the tasks I do on a semi-regular basis are legitimately difficult to perform, if they're even possible, on Windows. Things like package management, solving a weird issue via the extremely detailed logging, or reading how to do something in a manual, all range from hellish to impossible on Windows.
>>
>>52348397

Ah yes:
>What's your operating system?
>"google"
>>
>>52348425
You mean Linux trying to catch up? Having less market share than Vista is a disgrace.

>>52348440
I am not angry, stop projecting. I use Windows and I am posting, so you just have to deal with it.
>>
>>52348429
I know you're gonna think I'm just being an ass here, but your "games" are actually not relevant to this thread or our conversation. If all you think of when you look at a computer are games, you're in the wrong place.
>>>/v/

As for applications in general, the Pi is plenty for most things. I'd be nervous to play very high quality video on it, but aside from that, they're very capable.
>>
>>52348429
>games

Please grow up and realise there is more to technology that playing the latest fps wank released this year.
>>
>>52348454
Well if replied to a post to imply they are projecting when the post wasn't replying to anyone, you're pretty angry man.
>>
>>52348440
>Do people really need to justify their choice in technology?
Not exactly. Most Windows users did not choose Windows. They grew up with it and fear change. This is also known as Baby Duck Syndome, but be careful saying that, as it can upset people quickly

>Also if you're using windows please stop posting on this board.
I agree. It's not really technology related at all. It's king of the braindead consumer market, which is only technology in the sense that electricity and programming were involved in it at one point.
>>
>>52348454
His reply to the post before was 'Much now Windows 10 has that'
It's okay if you don't have reading comprehension pajeet
>>
>>52348491
>It's king of the braindead consumer market
You mean Apple?
>>
>>52348449
I always think worse of people who answer something they don't understand instead of taking five seconds to clarify what the question meant. Even the "I don't know"/"I'm not good with that tech stuff" people aren't as irritating as the people who just blindly give answers to things.
>>
File: 1374442115384.jpg (635 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
1374442115384.jpg
635 KB, 1600x1600
>>
>>52348454
>You mean Linux trying to catch up? Having less market share than Vista is a disgrace.
On consumer computers? The things sold to the masses pre-bundled with Windows? To be perfectly honest, in this flawed contest, I'd be worried if Windows wasn't at the top.

As for market share in computing in general, I don't think Windows ever was or will be at the top.
>>
>>52348500
No, I don't. I really hope you use Windows, because if you said something that dumb as a GNU/Linux user, you'd be a disgrace to us all.

Mac OS is a very decent OS compared to Windows. Also in the most literal answer to your retort, they really just aren't the king of the braindead consumer market. Let's say we include them in the list of computers that came with an OS that wasn't chosen. (normally I wouldn't since even idiots know the Mac is a different experience and they have to go out of their way to buy it), Mac OS still has significantly less marketshare than Windows.
>>
>>52348528
>As for market share in computing in general, I don't think Windows ever was or will be at the top.

What is your definition of computing? Consumer and Enterprise users are the cash cows for software and hardware companies. So you want to ignore this segment to focus on what exactly?
>>
>>52348143
Can I have the CSS you're using please?
>>
>>52348500
Apples don't count. They are just jewellery.
>>
>>52348515
Holy shit the pic that goes with 98 looks comfy. Why'd they go with the cheap ugly black plastic look after that?
>>
>>52348556
>No, I don't. I really hope you use Windows, because if you said something that dumb as a GNU/Linux user, you'd be a disgrace to us all.

I don't eat shit with my own hands and I don't shove phallic objects in my asshole and my breath is not glazed with semen.

So I think I am okay with being a Windows user.
>>
>>52348098
Your operators are the wrong way round
>>
>>52348557
Literally talking about computers in general. Phones, desktops, laptops, things like the Pi, etc.
>>
>>52348582
You obviously don't understand this as a Windows user, plus you've been fed propaganda your whole life (trust me, a good 5-10 years ago I would've laughed along with your anti-Apple post), but you should know that Mac OS is on a whole different level than Windows. But get this, so is everything else!

The world of unix-like operating systems is a wonderful one. You find that there are standards across them all and you can comfortably get along with your knowledge and skills on any of them. All that is thrown away with Windows. As a GNU/Linux user, I would of course recommend GNU/Linux to someone else who wants my honest opinion. However, if an old person, normie, what have you, asks me if they should "get a mac or a PC" or possibly even a more intelligent version of that question regarding whether they should use Windows or Mac OS, I would gladly tell them to go with Mac OS. Not everyone has the time, patience, or mental capacity for me to explain why GNU/Linux is better than Mac OS, but as long as they've avoided Windows, I feel I've done a good deed.
>>
>>52348600
>Phones, desktops, laptops, PI

Each of these is a totally different market with different set of rules and market leaders. desktop/laptop is under computing category, phones are just communication devices now being sold as fashion accessories. Pi is for hobbyists with no real purpose.

When was the last time someone used their smartphone for computing? or Tablet? Android and iOS are a badly written joke.
>>
>>52348575
Different companies built them.

Also, as someone on /g/ you should know that shit's only cool if it looks black-as-my-soul.
>>
>>52348515

Nach, Windows ME would be something by Ansaldo-Breda.
>>
>>52348665
I haven't dealt with iOS all that much, and from my memories of it, I don't consider it as pleasant to use as Android, but I do thing Android is plenty capable. Plenty as in plenty for a mobile phone, of course. Works fine for when I need to ssh into a machine of mine. I can't say I'm a fan of touchscreen typing, even after all these years of dealing with it, but it's often easier than pulling out a laptop (if I've even got one) or going to the machine's physical location.

I'm also no programmer so I can't really argue with you about them being poorly written if you were talking about the code.
>>
>>52348674
My ThinkPads look cool, and they're black, however there was clearly a material change with the color change in those images and it made everything worse. It has a rougher finish and reminds me of low quality, rough plastic children's toys.
>>
>>52348655
I have used all 3 operating systems, Linux, OSX and Windows. I got a second hand Mackbook from a friend which had a nice display that attracted me but it quickly wore off because Windows and Linux could do everything OSX can, only better. I had paid so much cash for aesthetics.

I have been using Linux for several years alongside Windows, I even migrated and stayed on Linux for a month just to see the possibilities. I had Arch and Xubunt multi-booting alongside Windows 7. They were okay, ricing was a good hobby but again, when I had to do work on my projects requiring Office 365 or gaming, boot back to Windows. So I ran out of reasons to keep the other partitions.

I was extremely resentful towards Windows with 8/8.1 fiasco, but 10 with 1511 update redeemed Windows and now it is a comfortable setup with a rolling release with a familiar interface.

So yeah, I tried OSX and Linux, didn't work out for me.
>>
>>52348778
>I got a second hand Mackbook from a friend which had a nice display that attracted me but it quickly wore off because Windows and Linux could do everything OSX can, only better. I had paid so much cash for aesthetics.
Perhaps I should've mentioned that I'm only willing to discuss software, as I don't care for Apple's hardware, and not every OS has a company behind it that also designs hardware.

>when I had to do work on my projects requiring Office 365 or gaming, boot back to Windows. So I ran out of reasons to keep the other partitions.
Pretty weak reasons.. For one, I don't see that much use for an office suite, but if you really insist, LibreOffice seems fine to me. As for gaming, you must be vaguely referring to a few particular titles, because I'm able to play plenty of video games on GNU/Linux without issue.

>I was extremely resentful towards Windows with 8/8.1 fiasco, but 10 with 1511 update redeemed Windows and now it is a comfortable setup with a rolling release with a familiar interface.
I can't really say they have or ever will fix any of my gripes with Windows. It's neat that 10 is trying out rolling release. As an Arch user, I really think it's a good model, however I still don't think anyone should be using Windows.

>So yeah, I tried OSX and Linux, didn't work out for me.
Well, they're quite similar, so I suppose that makes sense. I don't exactly benefit from you using a different OS, so I'm not going to try to convince you to switch. I do hope that in my lifetime we'll see some sort of law to stop Windows being pre-installed on computers, though. I think that's really what the world needs. That, and the baby boomers dying. I think that combo would do everyone a lot of good.
>>
>>52347735
>the only one who posted a loli pic was a Windows user
BTFO
>>
>>52348869
You need to pay Apple tax and buy their exclusive hardware to use OSX. Hackintosh doesn't count.
>>
>>52347793
same.
>>
>>52349024
>Hackintosh doesn't count.
Why? Since they switched to using Intel CPUs, the hardware they use is all standard and found elsewhere. There's no really much "hacking" needed in a "hackintosh".

Also, again it doesn't matter. We're just discussing operating systems here. Having to buy the machine is for another discussion.
>>
>>52349092
You are breaking their TOS and can't update your OSX on a Hackintosh. Apple are fucking pussies afraid of running OSX on different hardware mix because it is an unstable mess with limited drivers.
>>
>>52349142
Their TOS are invalid in most parts of the world
>>
>>52348182
Nice to see Windows finally catching up
>>
>>52347147
Install software.
>>
>>52347932
Piracy never killed gaming... Drm killed gaming.
>>
>>52347147
GIS. ArcGIS is the de-facto standard GIS software package required for spatial analysis. Sure, you can use R, GRASSGIS, GDAL and QGIS but Arc is the swiss army knife of the industry unfortunately.
>>
>>52347280
http://scn.sap.com/community/linux>>52347280
>>
>>52349597
>download .deb file
>double click
>install

or

>apt-get install x
>y
>enter

or

>open synaptic
>search for software
>mark for installation
>click apply

honestly installing software on linux is easy peasy on linux, anon. Have you ever used linux?
>>
>>52348444
And unnecessary on Windows because it works.
>>
>>52348127
Plan 9 is a pile of hotfixes and awkward engineering where TempleOS is slim, fast, sane and elegant.
>>
>>52347116
Windows everything works for me.

I really tried linux but there was some driver issues with my system and I wanted something that works just immediately, also It doesn't have a nice GUI for everything since I'm mostly a pleb and don't understand the system completely and have problems using the command line since it display's so much info and I don't know what I'm doing.
>>
>>52347116
I use my IBM 5100 and do not want to fight with Windaws Lunux or Making a copy Of Software X
>>
>>52347116
ITT: Fred Durst uses a Mac
>>
>>52347147
Active Directory, Group policy, and groupware (Exchange)

So that's 3 things...
>>
>>52347863
70% of these packages are just metapackages or libraries though.
And installing software that's not in a .deb is almost impossibly complicated for your average user.
>>
File: 1446748394388.jpg (48 KB, 480x700) Image search: [Google]
1446748394388.jpg
48 KB, 480x700
>>52351929
>>sudo aptitude search/install package
so hard. Literally, I had to reinstall all 2000 of my packages from scratch yesterday (new laptop) and it only took me 2 or 3 hours, most of which I was asleep
>>
>>52347116
>OS wars
why are these threads still allowed on /g/

endlessly rehashing the same shitty arguments that literally nobody on either side gives a fuck about since 1996

attracting more bikeshedding retards to the board since the subject is so banal and easy for casuals to find some memes to spout about that fucking everyone can shitpost

kill you'reselves all of you
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.