[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/. My x200s: 1.83GHz Dual Core, 3GB RAM (yes I'm a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: x200s.jpg (291 KB, 1920x864) Image search: [Google]
x200s.jpg
291 KB, 1920x864
Hey /g/. My x200s: 1.83GHz Dual Core, 3GB RAM (yes I'm a poorfag) is arriving tomorrow and I need a distro for it. I didn't really need this laptop I just wanted a machine on which I can mess with linux and learn some programming on(torn between C and python, any ideas?).
Currently I have OpenSUSE downloaded and considering installing this with XFCE. I'm also looking at Crunchbang and Xubuntu, anyone with an old laptop have experience with these distros?
>>
>/sqt/
>>
>>52347115
>sqt
How is this stupid?
>>
>>52347098
xubuntu to make something productive
archlinux if you're bored and want to fuck everything up
>>
>>52347138
>archlinux if you're bored and want to fuck everything up
I might give arch a try but later on. I wanna get comfy with everything first and not pull my hair out withing the first day of getting it.
>xubuntu to make something productive
I also saw people suggesting lubuntu, any big differences between them? Pros and cons of each?
>>
>>52347098
Im using Debian + XFCE on a x200s.
Everything works except for the modem and the fingerprint reader.
Playing monster hunter 3rd portable at x2 PSP resolution at 30fps.
Mame runs pretty well with the -multithreading option.
Perfect reproduction of 1080p 8bit video , lags with some 10bit videos.
I recomend you to buy an ultrabase and a DisplayPort->HDMI cable.
>>
>>52347175
*Debian stable 32bit
>>
File: deepin 15.png (320 KB, 657x548) Image search: [Google]
deepin 15.png
320 KB, 657x548
>>52347098
Deepin 15 desu senpai
>>
>>52347187
>*Debian stable 32bit
I had Debian Stable just earlier on my PC. It's a decent alternative.
>Perfect reproduction of 1080p 8bit video , lags with some 10bit videos.
I don't really care for 1080p on such a small size/resolution screen.
And I don't really plan to game on it either.
>I recomend you to buy an ultrabase and a DisplayPort->HDMI cable.
Why is that?
>>
>/tpg/
>>
>>52347243
People who are using other low end laptops or other lightweight distributions might miss it and not join in. This isn't even thinkpad specific.
>>52347227
That looks awesome. Gonna save it on my "to try" list.
>>
>>52347098
Just install Xubuntu as it just werks and it's lightweight enough for the x200s.
I have an x201 which runs Debian Jessie with GNOME 3 and even GNOME as bloated as it is runs perfectly fine.
I'm waiting for Ubuntu 16.04 RCs so I can see if I want to use Ubuntu Mate or Xubuntu by then.
>>
>>52347261
Don't give a shit, your stupid thread is stupid.
>>
>>52347231

the x200s is my main machine so I use it for work , web browsing , playing games and watching chinese cartoons. Having the option of plug in it on the TV is really convenient.
You can also use VGA+Display Port and have two monitors if you want.

If you are only going to code shit any distro will be fine , just install vim/emacs or your IDE of choice.
>>
Until recently I was running Arch + XFCE on my dual core 1.6ghz Atom netbook with 3gb ram. Got bored one day and decided to try out Win 10 on it for the hell of it, since it's just a machine I fuck around with different OSes to see how they perform on obsolete shit at this point, anyway win 10 was a huge mistake.. slow as all shit. It's running 7 now but still slower than XFCE on Arch was. Probably going to go back.

brodip: Architect makes installing Arch easy as pie if you're feeling too lazy or noob to follow the wiki way
>>
>>52347173
I'm currently using lubuntu on my r61, and I'm loving it. When I used mint it was barely able to play 480p youtube, but with lubuntu I can play 720p with no framedrops at all.

In addition, openbox with orangeblue theme is fantastic.
>>
>>52347436
I'll probably end up hopping through these:
xubuntu
lubuntu
crunchbang
opensuse w/ xfce
deepin
debian stable w/ xfce

Thanks for the input everyone. Especially this guy >>52347324
>>
I think you should give Fedora a try it's a good OS, same thing with Debian. I also recommend Elementary if you want a good looking OS, also the same thing with MacPup
>>
>>52347577
Fedora and Elementary look good, MacPup seems to be kinda abandoned though.
>>
>>52347656
Yea. It kinda is but is still a great OS for lower end hardware
>>
Slackware64-current
>>
Well, since this guy's going on about him asking for distros, mind if I ask a question about a laptop I wish to purchase?
>>
>>52347098
>poorfag
>i didn't really need this
nigga then u no poor, its like saying

>im poor guys
>btw is my 6600k, 970, 16 ddr4 ram good enough or should i go for a 6700k, 64ddr4 3400mhz, 2 980ti sli?
>don't really need this just for videogames
>>
>>52347138
>archlinux if you're bored and want to fuck everything up
you sound like an Idiot.
>>
>>52347098
>linux
Topkek
Free/OpenBSD or bust
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.