[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question on Upgrading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image_preview.jpg (119 KB, 800x464) Image search: [Google]
image_preview.jpg
119 KB, 800x464
Computer Noob, looking at upgrading my pretty dated PC, wondering if a GTX 960 or 970 will be compatible with an Intel DP55KG Motherboard?
And also wondering if an Intel i5 4690k would be compatible with it also?
>>
Pretty certain the CPU isn't compatible, I know upgrading my GPU would probably bottleneck the PC unless I overclock my CPU
>>
>>52347017
Wrong socket. Intel DP55KG Motherboard has an LGA 1156 socket (1156 pins) and the i5 4690k uses the LGA 1150 socket (1150 pins)

Each new socket breaks compatability. You can upgrade the GPU though because PCI express is backwards compatible
>>
>>52347017
I'll take the bait.
Yes, you can install a 960 or 970 there.
For the i5 4690k, you will need a new motherboard.
>>
What kind of CPU do you have? If its a quad core its pretty unnecessary to upgrade that, get an SSD or something instead.
>>
>>52347062
Cheers appreciate it
>>52347065
No bait, was researching but I just find I get better results when asking someone, but thanks!
>>52347101
I have an intel i5 760, stock clock, that's quad core right? Thinking I should just OC it
>>
>>52347133
If you are going to try to OC this may help

http://www.overclock.net/t/858385/the-i5-760-oc-club
>>
>>52347176
You think this CPU would perform well if OC'd and with a GTX 970? the bottleneck would probably be there but still may beat my GTX 660 and intel i5 760 stock clock
>>
>>52347211
Is it for gaming? If so, what games? I don't have any experience with your CPU but if you play mostly graphics-intensive games I think it would hold up

If you're going to upgrade I would suggest GPU first, run some benchmarks before OCing your CPU, then after OCing to see how much the CPU is holding you back so you can decide if an upgrade is worthwhile
>>
>>52347211
>>52347347
Also this >>52347101

Getting an SSD is an amazing upgrade. Probably the best value and easiest upgrade.

For example with skyrim on my SSD the game loads so quickly I cannot read the load screen hints, even late game as the save files start getting big. Plus programs load quickly and my computer boots from full power off in <15 seconds.
>>
>>52347391
Yeah already have an SSD, had one for a while and they are amazing for load times etc.
>>
>>52347347
Yeah this is mainly for gaming, the only thing I've really had trouble running is Black ops 3 and ARK, but you could say it's 50% my hardware and 50% optimized, so you think GPU upgrade first?
>>
IF YOU ARE THINKING OF OC'ING ASK YOURSELF THIS:

ARE YOU A RETARDED NERD?

IF NO: DO NOT OVERCLOCK
IF YES: DO OVERCLOCK
>>
>>52347133
>i5 760
Its a bit old and probably suffer from being a first generation Core processor, but it really should be fine, get the card first and look at CPU usage if you really need a new CPU
>>
>>52347608
I've been told it will bottleneck, the performance boost will still be very noticed but the CPU should be fine, I'll go ahead with the GPU upgrade and see what happens
>>
>>52347017
If you ask me, a modern board and such an old processor will cause a bottleneck almost as soon as you start anything [spoiler] Almost as bad as the AMD vision E-300 [/spoiler] and if anything, as long as the board has a PCI-E Board for GPU's Specifically, it should conduct fine, but the processor will give you the worst hell yet. I suggest you go with an i5 that's at least two generations newer.
>>
>>52347853
Most graphics card don't bottleneck PCIE 2 16x, and even less bandwidth will be used with dx12 and vulcan
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.