[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just tried the HTC Vive at CES. Completely blew me away. Still
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: gsmarena_001.jpg (34 KB, 728x430) Image search: [Google]
gsmarena_001.jpg
34 KB, 728x430
Just tried the HTC Vive at CES. Completely blew me away. Still has a long ways to go, it's obviously not ready for the consumer market. If I could summarize the experience in a few words I could describe it as the the holodeck from star trek. Taking the headset off is like waking up from a beautiful dream and wanting nothing more than to just go back. Anyone got any questions?
>>
WHY DO THEY USE HDMI AND NOT DISPLAYPORT
>>
How much do you get paid to be a shill?
>>
>>52339047

I did it for free, if you experienced the cutting edge of VR you probably would as well.
>>
>>52339026

The cable situation is sort of a dealbreaker at this point. There is a mess of cables coming out of the top of that thing and they really do get in the way. They are really going to need to come up with a proprietary solution to reduce it to just one cable.
>>
>>52339107
havent they bundled the separate cables into a big one?

Also, why does OP say it is not ready yet? what needs to be improved?
>>
>>52339019
how much would you pay for it ?
would you pay double if it was wireless ?
>>
>>52339019
Did you play Elite Dangerous at the demo booth? How'd you like it with the joysticks+the headset on?
>>
>>52339019
So what was the big revolutionary feature they delayed the headset for?

>>52339026
Good question. I think a single DockPort connector could handle everything over one thin cable.
>>
>>52339019
Have you tried any recent versions of the Oculus Rift or was this your first VR experience?
>>
>>52339026
>amdpoorfags will have to buy an adapter

Kek
>>
>>52339019
answer the questions OP
>>
>>52340724

The bundled cables are just too thick and heavy, it's like a rope hanging off your face.

There are a ton of small quirks about the gear, if they released its current state the majority of plebs who try to use it are going to fuck it up and it's going to suck for them.

>>52341091

It's going to have to go wireless for me to really want it, the cables really take away from the experiment, you step on them, trip over them etc

I wouldn't pay $600 for it, no way, I could see myself paying $600 for a second generation version though.

>>52341106

There was an underwater simulator, a 3D painting program, a playground/sandbox type environment that had silly little puzzles in it and the finale was a portal 2-esque experience where you repaired a robot

>>52341149

I only tried the occulus dev kit, the line for the new version was too long so I had to pick Vive or occulus
>>
>>52341116

I'm not sure.. since I knew very little about it before trying it out. The front facing camera maybe? When you walk around with the vive on and you get close to a real world object like a wall, a grid appears on the screen so you don't accidentally bump in to things.
>>
>>52341579
I'm following vive pre and oculus news and reviews every day. You're the first one I've read to comment on the weight of the cables, and them being too heavy. Literally no one else has had this argument against vive pre, which in turn means your whole review is pretty much nullified in my mind. It's not believable.

> occulus

ffs how hard is to find out the proper name

> It's going to have to go wireless for me to really want it

There's really no way any of the current gens and likely even the second gens hmds will be wireless. There's no solution good enough in terms of bandwidth, occlusion and latency. Li-fi, not yet, 60ghz wifi gig, nah.

Even the developers who have given hundreds of demos and used vive/oculus for thousands of hours say that handling the cables will come subconsciously without taking away the feel of presence.
>>
>>52342143

What happens when you step on the cable? Why do you think the Virtuix Omni needs a 10 ft boom arm to hold up the cable?
>>
>>52342405
>What happens when you step on the cable? Why do you think the Virtuix Omni needs a 10 ft boom arm to hold up the cable?

Few days ago I read about a developer who had given hundreds of demos for all kinds of folk. He generally said that like only once someone had stepped on the cable.
>>
Your post confuses me OP. It's full of praise, but then you suddenly say
>Still has a long ways to go, it's obviously not ready for the consumer market.

How can it be so good and still not be ready for the consumer market?
>>
>>52342815

Because a developer has no conflict of interest? I'm telling you, I stepped on the wire multiple times. Imagine a 10'x10' room, you will probably use a 20' cable. How are you not going to step on that thing as you walk around with what is practically a blindfold.

>>52342835

Because the experience was absolutely amazing for what it was, a tech demo, but it's not a consumer product in my opinion. A good analogy would be a concept car, cool as fuck but not practical enough to warrant mass production.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (47 KB, 1097x246) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
47 KB, 1097x246
This guy has all the dev kits, both vive and oculus. This contradicts OP's opinion, and honestly I trust this guy a bit more. He atleast knows how to write oculus right.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (34 KB, 967x249) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
34 KB, 967x249
>>52343006
For now, I'm really not worried about the cable setup.. the pros outweight the cons.
>>
combination of dualband wireless and wireless hdmi trasmitter? would that be possible?

wireless hdmi is a shit and 2.4ghz/5ghz could be fucked up by a router, but could it be possible and provide a decent quality image and a high enough rate for data transfer from the headset to the computer?
>>
>>52343395
>>52343506

>maximum damage control

it's pretty low when you go searching reddit threads from months ago and find one person who disagrees with me as "proof" that I don't know what I am talking about.

maybe go back to reddit, and stay there.
>>
File: hedoesitforfree.jpg (83 KB, 1310x880) Image search: [Google]
hedoesitforfree.jpg
83 KB, 1310x880
>>52343572
>"proof" that I don't know what I am talking about.

> VR developer, who does VR development as his job, says something upon which an anonymous /v/ troll who has that one time tried a demo at some convention disagrees

yeah, sure thing I guess. We're going to see about this in a few months anyway.
>>
I've also tried all the VR's out there various times and the Vive was the most immersive one ... by far
the last time though that's about a months time back now
after having seen all the possibilities out there for the first time I was already set that, if I'm gonna buy any VR it's gonna be a Vive
>>
>>52343614

>Developer gives a positive review about a product that his livelihood depends on... on Reddit... but he isn't a shill?

>Somebody who is just an average consumer gives an unbiased opinion about a product that he was given the opportunity to review, but i'm a Troll.

GTFO.
>>
>>52343620

Yeah but the price for Vive wasn't announced at CES. The Oculus comes with an Xbone controller (LOL) and is $600. Vive comes with actual VR controllers and you also have to buy at least two wall mount sensors. How much more are you willing to pay for that extra technology?
>>
How's the resolution? Probably the only thing that might keep me from buying a HMD
>>
>>52343762
>How much more are you willing to pay for that extra technology?
>Go pro level cameras on cuckulus vs cheap-ass laser blasters on vive

gee whiz sir i couldn't in my right mind guess which one is cheaper to manufacture

also
> one is made by american company with custom everything and 300 unique parts
> other one is made by taiwanese sweatshop with own manufacturing facilities
>>
>>52343768

The resolution has a long way to go. The pixel density is just not high enough when the LED display is that close to your eyeball. Your brain tunes out these details when you become immersed in your environment but if you are expecting a picture that looks like a HD desktop monitor then you will be disappointed.
>>
>>52343762
I just said that I'm going to buy the Vive if anything
and money really doesn't matter on my side, I'll probably buy it sooner or later
will be fun to use for developement anyways
>>
>>52341116
It was the camera. Literally something that was in the molding since DK1. Obviously a scapegoat for why it was delayed.
>>
>>52343848

by pixel density i mean the black spaces between the pixels
>>
>>52343821
I like how you basically just rewrote that old copypasta to make it seem fresh. Here's your (You).
>>
>50 cents have been added to your steam wallet
>>
>>52343848
Thanks. I guess this confirms I'll wait for newer models and a more powerful pc
>>
All irrelevant because there are no worthwhile VR games. The average customer will use it for a month or two and then never use it again until Star Citizen comes out in 2020
>>
File: hand.png (1 MB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
hand.png
1 MB, 1200x1000
http://www.gizmag.com/oculus-rift-review-hands-on-2016/41264/
>>
>>52343893
>Here's your (You).
Thanks. Same for you (You).

I haven't been on /g/ cuckulus threads in months now, I generally stay more on servers and *nix threads as I'm a sysadmin by trade. So I wouldn't have seen any copypasta, but nice to know that someone thinks along my thoughts.
>>
>>52343977
http://pastebin.com/9StNCTE9
>>
Even for a gimmick, has other gimmicks on top of that. I don't want to fucking move around with VR, nor do I want the bundles of headsets/controllers. Fucking give options with what the consumer actually wants instead of bloating the price and peripherals. What's next, morpheus will come with a cup holder and a potato bowl?
>>
>>52343996

The VR controller is essential. Oculus is making a huge mistake by not releasing the rift and the controllers at the same time. Seeing your own hands in virtual space is one of the most surreal moments of my entire life. The controller just makes it feel like you are looking at a giant monitor and your head is a joystick.

Also, as of now there is no headset bundled with the Vive.
>>
>>52344037
>The controller just makes it feel like you are looking at a giant monitor and your head is a joystick.

The Xbone controller I mean
>>
File: oculus china.jpg (269 KB, 1500x863) Image search: [Google]
oculus china.jpg
269 KB, 1500x863
>>52343821
you know they make the rift in shenzhen right?
>>
>>52344037
I meant the xbox controller or steam controller, shit like the hydra I agree would be a must but still offered as an option for who already has some similar peripheral. Same goes for headset they haven't announced it yet but pier pressure is a bitch. In no way am I willing to ditch my comfortable open headphones for some random taiwan micro speaker strapped to my ears. Options man, that's one of the biggest problem of the past years, everyone has to have the same shit as the next door neighbor because each individual is a money collective and nothing else.
>>
>>52344088
Yes. But not with own manufacturing facilities. They are buying the manufacturing capacity from subcontractors, who are taking their slice of the cake.
>>
>>52344138
That's p. common, though. Look at Apple, Nintendo, Sony, etc.
>>
File: htc-dead.jpg (35 KB, 771x422) Image search: [Google]
htc-dead.jpg
35 KB, 771x422
>>52344138
Also that's assuming HTC isn't incompetent.
>>
>>52344138
Chinese subcontractors are a fucking nightmare to deal with.
For the Rift's money I thought they'd manufacture stuff themselves.
If you get an OR, get one in the first batches before the subcontractors cut so many corners that the device stops working.
The chinese don't understand that functionality is desired, if it looks just as shiny as it is supposed to they think that's okay. If you ask them to not cut corners (like cheaper lenses, thinner plastic) they get offended as if it's your fault.
>>
>>52341202
Oculus is HDMI 1.3, which modern AMD cards have. Why should the Vive be any different?
>>
>Oculus making 100 units per hour since September, ships at the end of March
>Vive doesn't even have a final consumer version, supposed to ship in April

the scalping will be real
>>
>>52339019
How does it work with glasses, OP? Can you get away without them or do the distances in VR work the same way optically as long distances IRL?
>>
I hope this first generation of consumer VR gear turns plebs off of the idea and the market crashes for a decade so that we can enjoy our comfy elitist early adopter/cutting edge phase without normies for longer than 20 seconds.

But I know it will not happen.

I know that phase actually happened at least five, maybe even eight years ago.
>>
>>52344232

The distances are not similar to IRL since the images come from two LED displays, one for each eyeball.
>>
>>52344232
Not the guy but that was one of their biggest concerns as a good 60% of their target consumer wears glasses or has contacts.
In the DKs it was manageable but not ideal, with the consumer release having two separate screens new housing and still the adjustable lenses they might have worked the kinks. But before adjusting your lenses to their lenses and having slight light leakage/uncomfort due to the glasses frame was a bit of a pain.
>>
>>52344177
>didn't buy HTC stock at $40~ low in sept
FUCK
>>
>>52343541
no
the only way to have wireless VR is to have the PC in the headset (or backpack style)
all types of wireless have incredibly high latency
>>
>>52344232
It's hard in conventions, but in the dk2 there were 2 sets of lenses included. I couldn't see shit with one, but the other one was ok.
So in the end chosing lenses or getting custom ones will be the right choice I think
>>
>>52344222
>ships at the end of March
yes, for some people
if you preorder now, it will be june.
So not really that big of an advantage to be the first to reach the market, if you can't produce enough.
100 an hour is pretty shitty
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.