[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Installing Gentoo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: gentoo-logo.jpg (20 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-logo.jpg
20 KB, 400x400
Who else is literally installing or has installed Gentoo recently? AMA
>>
>>52332868
Compiling my kernel in a chroot I didn;t fuck around with the options
>>
>genkernel all
jej
>>
just did. I made some VM recently for my remote access.
>>
>>52332868
i did last month. high quality os, boot time half of windows 10, kernel slimmed down to the minimum. compile takes about 8-10 minutes, i think that's on the slow side
>>
Thinking about it atm, but why Gentoo? Only found out about the whole systemd shit recently, but why else Gentoo?
>>
File: 1451693397435.png (435 KB, 2343x2486) Image search: [Google]
1451693397435.png
435 KB, 2343x2486
>>52332868
I've done it countless times, currently doing a refresh LFS install and then I'm going to see about throwing something interesting together for myself.

Linux for the kernel, some alt c library coreutils/userland etc and maybe nix or pkgsrc for a package manager.

Step it up fag.
>>
>>52332868
I did in a VM recently, just to see what it was like. Fun process, I may think about switching to it from Arch for Portage
>>
>tfw boot new kernel and wifi doesn't work
>build every wifi driver as module
>>
It's actually a pretty sweet system from the livecd

baase install only includes the best
>>
>>52332868
Tried funtoo and couldn't get the kernel to compile kept getting an error messages that it couldn't resolve a portion of the kernel
>>
>>52332868
I installed that shit. I tried manually configuring my own kernel but I had kernel panics after booting, so I just used genkernel and removed some shit I know I don't need.
>>52333200
Portage and USE flags are pretty cool too
>>
>>52333143
top nigga right here.

In all seriousness though, I plan on doing this for my install, I don't know too much about computers or linux, but I have gotten gentoo to work in a virtual machine by doing this.

I want a different OS on my pc so I can get rid of my windows botnet, I am choosing memetoo because I like it from a design standpoint.
>>
is it me, or is the gentoo logo the best distro logo evar?
arch's is weird
>pic related
>>
>>52333800
Arch logo is more aesthetic
>>
>>52333800
I like the gentoo logo more, even though my f.a.m.ily likes the arch logo.
>>
>>52333143
yeah you're right

>>52333200
i'm coming from BSD and want a good linux env
>>
>>52333800
i can't help but see the gentoo logo as :V
>>
>>52333143
Why even use gentoo if you're going to do this?
>>
File: 1424957222034.jpg (607 KB, 872x5056) Image search: [Google]
1424957222034.jpg
607 KB, 872x5056
>>
>>52335283
Saved for (potentially?) later.
Thanks anon.
>>
>implying install is the hard part

Wait until you get into the stupid shit that you just though was implied.

Easy mode: Install a VM in gentoo
Medium mode: Install GNS3
Hard mode: Live with the days of compiling over a year of use
>>
File: 370.png (27 KB, 260x240) Image search: [Google]
370.png
27 KB, 260x240
>>52333800
>>
>>52335519
Why so much compiling? Still a Linux beginner desu but was thinking about installing Gentoo, good or bad idea?
>>
>>52335709
worth the headache, but full disclosure
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-922190-start-0.html

Ran it for a year, got my fill and moved on
>>
>>52335769
first step for me is to configure prebuilt binaries in portage

this is some freebsd-tier bullshit, i want my openbsd generic kernel and binary packages

i used a gentoo server once and it was awesome, way better than any other linux
>>
>>52335769
Well shit, that sucks, but guess it'll be worth messing around with, at least for a while. Thanks :)
>>
Everyone in Cuba was using Gentoo for quite a while. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_(operating_system)
>>
>sudo emerge --ask dev-vcs/git
>pulls in 97 ebuilds that takes 4 hours to compile
So ... this ... is ... the ... power ... of ... portage
>>
>>52335944
Still running some hardened gentoo servers here have been up for a years both never really had trouble, great OS even for desktop/workstation/server use
>>
>>52333326
I always install gentoo from an ubuntu live cd. In the terminal you can type, as root,
# lshw -C network 

which lists all your network devices and information about them. You find the network device for your wireless and look at the configuration row to find the driver it uses, which should be at driver=. When you are selecting the drivers to install, press '/' to enter search and just type the driver name that you found from above and it should take you directly to the driver which you can then enable.
>>
I literally just tried out Gentoo from a live USB that I made, I was having an issue connecting it to my wireless network and wasn't even able to establish dhcp via ethernet. I'm so new to Linux distros but I've always been interested. I recently acquired a raspberry pi 2 and have used it to install raspbian, rasplex, connect via ssh and even figured out how to use xrdp. I just want to find a distro that I like. I'm still too new to figure out how to customize everything via apt get / pacman / emerge on diff distros. (i also tried arch but the laptop I was working on got stolen. I only managed to get Xorg loaded to it. )
>>
>>52337171
Xubuntu gets recommended a lot, I'd also say check out Linux Mint
>>
>>52337171
Try Elementary OS
>>
>>52332868
any guides on dual booting? I have two older laptops that I'm going to install gentoo on with one will be a full installation but the other will be a dual boot for when parents to use with windows on it
>>
>>52337171
Try Funtoo. It's just like Gentoo except that it has modern networking tools and is slightly more sane.
>>
>>52333143
>genkernel-next
i like my plymouth support on my laptop
>>
>>52333800
Arch is the fat bald creepy neighbor that keeps looking at you through his window.
>>
yeah i run gentoo on my laptop
>>
i started a while ago because i was inspired by your thread, but gosh does it take a while to install portage
>>
>>52335166
use flags. stability.
>>
File: bob-ross-gentoo.jpg (48 KB, 600x268) Image search: [Google]
bob-ross-gentoo.jpg
48 KB, 600x268
>>52333800
always reminded me of a painters pallet
>>
>>52332868
I just tried to run the live cd to get a glimpse of what Gentoo is like

but due to my laptop being older the whole screen resolution is all fucked up... now I have a screen which has like a ghostly image and I can't click or navigate as what I see doesn't match up to where I put the cursor

I'm pretty sure I can fix this by re-running and setting the resolution in the command prompt, but wondering if this is a common problem
>>
>>52340882
the live image is meant to simply be a limp along to get the real system installed. it is bound to have issues but i have not heard of this one before
>>
>>52332868
I've done it but couldn't compile mpd, tried everything, so I gave up and went to Arch instead.

Need to look cool on those desktop threads, anon...
>>
File: index.jpg (130 KB, 1015x727) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
130 KB, 1015x727
>>52340994
I did a quick google search and it seems to be a common problem when trying to install linux onto older laptops that use nvidia.

I'm re-booting right now and edited the start options to use vga=769 but even on that low end shit I'm still getting the same thing.

screen shot attached
>>
>>52340882
No-one actually uses the Gentoo live-CD to install Gentoo. Use the Arch CD and follow the Gentoo guide and you'll end up with a Gentoo system.
>>
>>52341238
Well like I said earlier I was really planning on trying it out first

I reason that if I can't figure this simple problem out then I should probably not install it yet
>>
>>52333219
>not having a fully working CLFS system rn which works on your MIPS machine and raspberry pi 2 as well as your amd64 machine.
>not multilib
>not using paludis with both gcc and llvm whilst watching 2160p anime girls on xinerama
jej nerd, u r a shit!
>>
>>52341238
>>52341248
and I finally got it. was able to get the terminal up and from there I ran a coomand called xrandr -q

it showed my laptop running at a resolution 1024x768 that for some reason was fucking up. changed it to 1280x800 and now its working
>>
>>52333800
Arch is shit all over the board. People just pretend to like it for attention. If they wanted hipster special points they'd go with exherbo or something more infuriating.
>>
Gentoo cured my autism.
>>
>>52341199
wow, that is a major pain, good luck on it man, you need it
>>
>>52341434
I fixed it already

>>52341351
>>
>>52337188
>Xubuntu
I must admit that I haven't tried any OS that rhymes with Ubuntu, it seems to me that it's frowned upon by some of the community. However, I will eventually get to trying it because I think they look clean! What comes to mind when you think of Xubuntu? What makes it unique?

>Linux Mint

I have tried the linux mint distro and I thought it felt nice and lightweight.

My dad had it on the old laptop he gave me but I didn't keep it because I wanted to try to see if I could figure out Arch (I love the idea of using the terminal to install and felt that the challenge would be the best way for me to learn the distro)

>>52337299
>Elementary OS
I haven't heard of this before, I wouldn't mind checking it out. What do you like about it?

>>52337414
>Funtoo
I hope it's fun since Fun is in the name.
I want to be able to practice using the terminal so that I can understand what I'm doing with the commands.

I'm still new to linux in general and I was leaning towards making Kali Linux my next install ( on Raspberry Pi 2 and separate install on USB).

I don't do any IT related or /g/ related work, I've just been interested in everything linux. I've never really had access to a proper computer that I could afford to break.

Thanks for all your input! I'll try all your recommendations.
>>
>>52333800
that little dick prompt, '8==D'. I use that in all my scripts.
>>
Switched to it from Windows 8 about half a year ago, is my first Linux install.
For first 4 months mostly used Windows 8, and came regularly to tinker with the system and edit the configs until it got ideal. Actually learned quite a lot in the process, especially considering I didn't install Xserver until like 2 months in.
It also helped that I had a dorm neighbor who recently switched to Arch from Ubuntu and who constantly helped me with my questions. Now he jokes I actually sometimes know things he doesn't, despite him using Linux for several years prior.
Overall, it was fun setting up and it's pretty comfortable working in it, even if I'm still kinda configuring it "just so" as I go along.
Also, since I'm planning to be a programmer, the experience of working with it was priceless. I now know a lot more about system configuration.
Overall, was one of the best thing /g/ recommended me, I think.
>>
>>52341382
I actually like arch, I might move to linux from scratch at some point though.
>>
>>52333936
>i'm coming from BSD
Why though? BSD is at least functional
>>
I use exherbo.
>>
>>52346621
This is still alive?
>>
I was going to install gentoo as a vm so that I could get acquainted with the OS. Was planning to install it on my next pc and go full autism.
But after five tries following the gentoo wiki guide from scratch and "emerge --ask sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" failing every single time I decided that I must be too retarded for this and have given up for the time being.
>>
>>52346682
It is. Development is still going strong and everything breakes ones in while, which is so much fun.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.