[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
unpopular opinion thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7
File: tumblr_n7k5hdWFa71rfwfq9o1_400.jpg (38 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n7k5hdWFa71rfwfq9o1_400.jpg
38 KB, 300x300
Share it
>>
>>52332243
SJWs are not, and will not ruin technology.
>>
i think microsoft edge is a good browser.
>>
Installing gentoo is too hard
>>
>>52332243
Aesthetics are an important factor when choosing a device.
>>
>>52332256
desu I agree, it seems like the backlash to "PC culture" has been far greater than the supposed culture itself
>>52332264
Meh. It seems faster when scrolling and stuff but if you test it side by side with something like chrome, it doesn't perform.
>>52332267
Too hard for who? You?
>>52332274
That's not an opinion
>>52332286
I agree
>>
>>52332243
Mac > shit > Windows

there i said it.
>>
>>52332386
That's not an unpopular opinion
>>
OS Wise:

>I always hated Win XP
>There was nothing wrong with Vista
>There is no reason to stay with 7, but it will turn into cancer just as XP
>8 was shit
>but 8.1 is a great OS
>10 is also great.
>7, 8, and 8.1 have telemetry as well, but it's harmless. Move to 10 already anyway
>Linux is good for embedded devices, but completely useless for desktop.
>There is no good mobile OS.

Hardware:
>I don't buy intel K cpus as there is no need for OC nowadays
>4GB is not enough for basic internet browsing anymore, 6GB is the minimum nowadays
>I don't like mechanical keyboards
>pixel density > refresh rate

Internet:
>Never had any social media account and I live just fine
>Netflix quality is shit. 40GB remuxes or nothing
>>
>>52332243
fuck off to /b/
>>
>>52332400
Why do you consider linux useless for desktop?
>>
>>52332395
At least it's unpopular enough on /g
>>
Windows is more functional feature wise and stability wise than any shitty Linux distribution ever will be.
>>
>>52332436
Feature wise? No. But if you consider the amount of supported software a feature, it is arguably more useful.
>>
/g/ is too full of itself

desktop threads are shit... tiling WMs are shit... console media players are crap...

there's too much anime around /g/

there are better books out there than SICP

YIFY was just fine because they allowed people with shitty connections to watch their favorite movies and shows
>>
Tesla Cars are bad.
>>
>>52332464
>YIFY was just fine because they allowed people with shitty connections to watch their favorite movies and shows
If I couldn't get at least 100Mb/s unlimited connection in my area, I would honestly move.
>>
>>52332464
also forgot:
vim has a really steep learning curve for a text editor, and most people flaunting vim setups spend most of their time ricing their vim installation than actually using vim

nobody sane uses emacs

using a mouse when coding is normal and acceptable. scrolling through code and highlighting stuff is something people do and is faster than diddling with arrow keys.
>>
>>52332243
There is no conspiracy in our current political and corporational world. The shit just seems to look that way and it is very convenient for news-driven populations.
>>
>>52332243
Minimalist design is shit, we had it better before 2010

Two 1080p monitors > one 4k monitor

There is no reason to buy top of the line gpus, mid range is good enough

Am/pm 12h is better than full 24h

Osx has no reason to exist, its a jack of all trades but master of none between windows and Linux. There is no feature exclusively available on Osx
>>
>>52332243
This is actually the popular opinion thread
>>
>>52332528
Don't forget, that blocking arrows and using hjkl in vim is a mental illness.
>>
>>52332567
True

Depends on the size

If you want good framerates at high resolutions there's absolutely a reason

Yep

I agree
>>
I dont think Chrome is a bad browser
>>
ITT: non autist opinions that are popular in the real world
>>
>>52332567
>Am/pm 12h is better than full 24h

why?
>>
>>52332567
24h is better because you can listen to fetty wap at 17:38
>>
>>52332593
The price of a 4k monitor gets you 3x 1080p ones so there's really no reason to jump on 4k, not even in terms of screen estate.

Also our gpus are not ready to support it. You can say x does 60fps on high on Y game, but what about in 2 years? Buying another 600$ flagship then?
>>
>>52332470
Just curious... why?

Everyone from geeks to car guys to rednecks in mustangs and 4x4s seem to love something about the model S.
>>
>>52332639
Because (Europe here) you never actually say 'its 19:30', you convert it to 7:30 and then say it.

So why not having the right info directly fed at you?
>>
>>52332680
Yeah, I guess you're right. I wasn't considering price.
>>
>>52332243
Unpopular on /g/, or in the real world?
>>
>>52332680
I recently got myself a 24" 4k monitor (an upgrade for 24" 1080p). You don't know what you're talking about, and you clearly never had one.
>>52332719
>Europe is one country
>Everyone speaks 1 language
-you
>>
>>52332243
1) less is more: floppy edition

1.44Mb/1.4Mb Floppy? I still use them, every megabyte is filled with meaningful data. rarely ever a bad disk, always just work, find a fat stack of them, throw them in and data is still there and perfectly readable from 20 years go. Read/Write time is really not that bad for such an old tech. Floppies feel durable unlike CD's. Floppies don't seem as big as flash drives because they are relatively thin, thinner than a USB port.

Since you are dealing with small media you have to reduce the size of your data, which means saving .docx's isn't going to be cost effective. you will be forced to use regular files. this is great because regular files are perfectly small and easy to work with.

you can compress the files and use encryption that will secure your data and save you space. sure you can do this with a HDD and .docx files but who does it? it's rare. With a floppy setup you are compelled to compress with a password because it saves you space. Therefor you are almost forced into the good habit of encrypting your data. You are also encouraged to make sure that you are storing more meaningful data and not just random jpgs that you can easily source somewhere else.

2) less is more: network edition

if all of your files are encrypted/compressed and small in size, this means using a slower data connection is no longer a pain. you can pick up a landline for $10 a month and dial-in to your computers. you can easily build a dial-in only network to move files around and gain access to systems that otherwise would be inaccessible do to security systems, filters, firewalls, etc.

now here i am not saying only use dial-up, i'm saying you can supplement your fiber with dial-up. for instance if one person has a modem and another person has a modem, they can transfer large packages between each other and then send keys, certs, etc through a dial up system that is not monitored. Fax is still a thing because of privacy.
>>
>>52332386
>osx doesn't even have a proper file system
Kek
>>
>>52332739
desu 4k is just too pixel-dense for 24 inch displays
>>
>>52332739
He's actually right desu desu famiglia.
>>
>>52332773
No, it's perfect. You set scaling to 200% on 24" and have exactly the same working area as on 1080p, while having everything twice as sharp.
-Posted from Dell P2415Q
>>
File: microwave time.png (382 KB, 942x2404) Image search: [Google]
microwave time.png
382 KB, 942x2404
>>52332719
>you convert it
>convert it
pic related

you fucker don't convert anything
if your brain is functioning at at least 1% of its capacity you don't have to think about that and just spill the beans
if you have to think a nanosecond about how to convert time you have severe brain damage and should see a doctor to remove the nails or whatever you've got stuck in it
>>
>>52332739
I am gonna specify Italy now. Also I know many other European places say it the same way, while people from USA dont. Stop sperging and making assumptions
>>52332739
If you have plenty of money to throw away I wont judge you. There are people buying gold plated hdmi cables too
>>
>>52332832
>comparing 4k to placebo cables
You are either brain damaged or wear glasses
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-09-22-35-02.png (95 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-09-22-35-02.png
95 KB, 720x1280
>>52332814
Why would I read 22:34 when what I want to know is 10:34
>>52332852
Again, if you have the money to throw thats fine. That means you already have a high end gpu powerful enough for 4k, a reasonably top of the line cpu and also have cleared away other important upgrades such as an ssd. If you looked at your computer with some spare 500$ in your hands and wondered what could you spend them on then 4k looks like a great choice
>>
>>52332771
3) less is more: hardware edition

It's 2016, points 1 and 2 are suggesting that we use technology that is 20 or more years old... but the point is to be efficient and most of the hardware from these times are not at all efficient. We have computers today that are more powerful than the ones from these periods that cost less than $50 and run on 1.21watts... or less is some cases! They typically have serial connections that you can hook a fax modem up to, usb for floppies, NICs for network connections... perfect.

4) less is more: your social life

Believe it or not, while this all seems neckbeard as fuck, it's actually anti-neckbeard. Neckbeards tend to spend too much time on their computers, because there is a huge world out there, a million languages to learn all the time, so many social websites to browse, forums to read, IRC's to chat on... it's endless.

If you deal with less data you will have more time, a smaller system will not allow you endless opportunity for distraction. You will be able to do what you need to do, and be done and move on to real life things like going to social gatherings, meeting people, etc.

What do you think /g/, am i crazy?
>>
>>52332702
I think elon is pretty cool and all that shit.
BUT, they take advantage of the no dealer thing so that ANY repairs have to be done by Tesla. Pretty much nothing is self fixable on your car. And if you get into an accident have it repaired at a regular mechanic tesla will disable your super charger access automatically.

Its the apply idea applied to cars, they lock you in their ecosystem, instead of trusting their customers they keep you on a leash.

Also, its only a matter of time before there is a law to limit car speed, or to have ability to shut cars off. Tesla can already do this.
>>
>>52332947
>That means you already have a high end gpu powerful enough for 4k
I have been running this 4k monitor on R7 260x for quite a long time, and only recently got GTX 960 to it which is more than enough
I know someone that has a 4k tv connected to iGPU and it runs just fine.

Why do everyone assume you get 4k monitor and the computer for gaming? I hate it. 4k is brilliant for everything BUT gaming, unless you don't mind dropping details a bit.
>>
I'll rate your opinions, because this thread triggers me.
>>52332256
4/10, they ruin *some* of technlogy
>>52332264
5/10, it works, but Microsoft has already proven not to be ashamed of letting you know they analyze your visited websites.
>>52332267
9/10, true, and time consuming (fun though)
>>52332286
6/10, important as in the worse it looks the less anti-features
>>52332386
7/10 Mac is at least UNIX-like, Windows is the black crippled sheep. Mac is still a babby OS though.
>>52332400
6/10, until
>telemetry is harmless
the datamining is going to fuck you over sooner or later, they don't "just" do that
Android & Linux are pretty good desu
>>52332436
2/10, probably new to Linux spouting an ignorant opinion
>>52332464
>/g/ is too full of itself
3/10 True, but what do you really expect?
>>52332528
5/10 Scrolling and highlighting is not coding.
>>52332559
There's no conspiracy, but companies are turning software into centralized shit. Each company is fucking over their dumb users individually.
>>52332567
0/10 very edgy, very young
>>52332583
5/10 meh not really
>>52332592
1/10 enjoy you're rsi
>>52332595
The botnet makes it bad, not the functionality.
>>
>>52333067
>this thread triggers me
>unpopular opinion thread

What did you expect?
>>
>>52332243
more than 2gb of ram on a phone are completely useless for the average user
>>
>>52333107
I expected will informed differentiating opinions. :^)
>>
>>52333127
does this also mean that the average phone user shouldn't have a smartphone?
>>
>>52332813
Do you think it's worth the money? I've been considering getting one.
>>
>>52333144
something something with carat nose.
>>
PHP is not that bad.
>>
>>52332464
>desktop threads are shit...
Yes, also related to anime posting.
>tiling WMs are shit...
I like them (bspwm to be specific), they have their uses.
>there's too much anime around /g/
Yes, I was fine with it when it was used like standard reaction images, but now it gets posted without reason.
>>
>>52333127
This is true period. Keeping apps in background kills idle times as the cpu never gets to completely idle. This is also why phones close your apps in background if you are not using them.

I can keep opened almost all my apps with 2gb but a while after blocking the screen the majority are closed.
>>
>>52333127
>not knowing how android works
>>
>>52333144
>>52333177
Double dub thanks for the grub.
>>
>>52333171
yes. once you go 4k, you never go back
>>
File: 1452279268535.png (75 KB, 198x198) Image search: [Google]
1452279268535.png
75 KB, 198x198
>>52332243
Arch beginners' install wiki is bloated
>>
Blocky laptops are hefty, feel better in the hand, and are preferable when supplied with a removable battery versus ultrabooks or Mac clones.
>>
Technology is only an interest to those who can't get laid on a regular basis
>>
>>52333792
>my only interest is food and fucking because my brain is not capable of anything more in 2016
>>
>>52333792
>implying technology is not a tool to get laid.
>>
>>52333879
what i gotta apt-get install for laid i already tried apt-cache search get | grep laid , no results please help
>>
>>52333792
getting laid is technology
>>
>>52332256
Wrong. They already have.
>>
windows 8.0 is microsofts best OS. it's still free of telemetry/windows 10 gwx crap and it just werks. still gets all the security updates.

i think metro is actually superior to the start menu, once you get used to it.
>>
>>52333980
>it's still free of telemetry/windows 10 gwx crap and it just werks.
I got some bad news for you...
>>
File: windows updates to avoid.jpg (79 KB, 799x223) Image search: [Google]
windows updates to avoid.jpg
79 KB, 799x223
>>52334007
i looked through all of the updates, the ones in question for 7 and 8.1 do not show up on 8.0. i couldn't upgrade it to 10 even if i wanted to.
i know my pic is outdated, but the other updates did not show either. all i get are security updates
>>
>>52333934
Only if you're fucking an android.
>>
>>52332243
cellphone thread are cancer
>>
Linux is utterly pointless to 99% of people
AMD>Intel
AMD>Nvidia
to an extent, Aesthetics>Performance (e.g. a nicer looking cpu cooler that runs at 5'c hotter)
>>
>>52332243
>cosoles are good prebuilt PC's
>>
Remix OS will be a huge hit once it's not buggy as shit.
>>
File: pac.png (12 KB, 168x186) Image search: [Google]
pac.png
12 KB, 168x186
>>52333928
Bruh SMFh you gotta use a package manager like pacman.

pacman -S Get_laid_lad
>>
>>52334989
it's actually just that the software base that the console provides or allows for, not the hardware... while, it is extremely helpful that the hardware stays consistent it is most important for the developers of the games have a consistent platform to code for. In every console's life you see developers coding more and more and more efficiently as the console ages because they learn how to optimally code for their environment a little at a time, eventually reaching a point where the code is basically as efficient as it can be and also by practical to work with.

hardware for consoles does change over a consoles life but little at a time, and the changes are well planned for, unlike in the PC world where any warehouse in china can start mass producing a usb devices that users then can decide to start hooking up themselves.
>>
>>52332243
Python is an efficient language.
>>
>>52335723
you're too late i already did it myself

$su root; and echo 'while true; do; wmi win32_yum product ${echo yes | -i} install gentoo && upgrade; done || reboot; write-host"the system is going down for scheduled update"' > ~/exe.sh & mv ~/exe.sh /mnt/floppydisc
$systemctl enable /mnt/floppydisc/exe.sh & shutdown /r --force
>>
There is absolutely nothing wrong with systemd
>>
>>52336041
i like systemd, i also liked sysvinit
>>
>>52335753
TL;DR
They are `perfected' gaming PC's with pre-built hardware × OS.
>>
File: Nvidia.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Nvidia.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>52335753
>developers coding more and more and more efficiently as the console ages because they learn how to optimally code for their environment a little at a time
I imagine this generation will be moderately different. XBONE and PS4 are running largely unmodified x86 architectures, which people have known how to program efficiently on for the past two decades.
>>
Weeaboos are pathetic on /g/
>>
>>52336329
Kek. I've seen a few of these. Do people do this on purpose?
>>
>>52336479
when i say they're coding optimizes it's usually between the memory and the gpu not for the actual cpu, though in the case of the playstation 3 with the 9 core cell there was a bit of a learning curve to get that thing running well... i do believe that the cell processor was also the gpu though. most of the latency and optimization takes place between memory and gpu, depending on where the northbridge lives you can skip the cpu all together.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.