[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> windows 10 is the most advanced operating system in the world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 14
File: 20160106_153016-1.jpg (4 MB, 2662x1878) Image search: [Google]
20160106_153016-1.jpg
4 MB, 2662x1878
> windows 10 is the most advanced operating system in the world
>>
so your os can just expire and you can't use it anymore
>>
>>52269879
The challenger shuttle probably was the most advanced piece of hardware in the world at that time, and that also blew up.
>>
>>52269879
Microsoft, everybody.
>>
>>52269879
Tech preview?
>>
>>52269896
Starting the 29th of July.
>>
>>52269927
Was it running windows 10?
>>
>oh my god!
>Windows LITERALLY has error handling?
>LOOOOLL
>Muh gunuu slesh loonuts just refuses to boot and does nothing when it encounters an error, that's SOOO advanced!
>>
File: R17hHDe.jpg (1019 KB, 2285x1714) Image search: [Google]
R17hHDe.jpg
1019 KB, 2285x1714
>>52271796
>>
>>52269879
>using Preview
>not knowing it expires
Do you even read the shit you're accepting while downloading and installing a preview?
>>
>setting up windows 10 for my dad
>just hitting next
>maybe i should check all the advanced settings
>by default it sends your browsing history to MS
and people actually use this shit?
>>
File: something happened.png (22 KB, 295x237) Image search: [Google]
something happened.png
22 KB, 295x237
>>52272859
normies 1.) tend to either not care about technology they use and what it's doing (it should just werk!!) or are reluctant to even look at it funny because they thing they'll break it. and 2.) are surprisingly tolerant of their rights being infringed or downright revoked, so long as the person doing it says it's necessary for some reason. Usually for "your own safety and security", but they'll accept much lesser rationales, too.
>>
File: bsod.png (35 KB, 650x373) Image search: [Google]
bsod.png
35 KB, 650x373
>>52271796
1: error handling won't be helpful unless you're a power user
2: Linux kernel crash dumps/logs are much more helpful for debugging than "Something happened", if you are such a user. It might not be as friendly as the Windows screens, but they're much more helpful
>>
>>52272263
Microsoft is leading us straight to the basements of hell
>>
File: images.png (4 KB, 475x309) Image search: [Google]
images.png
4 KB, 475x309
>>
>>52273104
>2.) are surprisingly tolerant of their rights being infringed or downright revoked
most have a cuckoldry fetish, what did you expect?
>>
>>52272615
That's no excuse. If the software "expires," that hurts the user in order to make more money for Microsoft. That makes it literally malware.
>>
>>52271420
nasa uses linux :)
>>
a friend called me minutes ago and complained how internet stopped working altogether

>I clicked the Win10 upgrade button

fuck this world
>>
>>52273297
How much did Microsoft make from time-limiting its beta preview software?
>>
Why dont you guys turn all these automated shit off?

Its perfectly fine once you tell it to stop holding your hand.
>>
>>52273308
Challenger was '86 though.
>>
>>52273327
No idea. But they wouldn't do it unless it made them money and it does hurt the user, so it's malware.
>>
File: You know it.jpg (82 KB, 832x584) Image search: [Google]
You know it.jpg
82 KB, 832x584
>>52269879
>2016
>Using Binbows
>>
It's like mental retardedness has actually set in.

Do they actually think that either the hardware or software will never fail at some point? I just can't fathom some of the decisions they make. Do any technical people actually sit in on the meetings they have to check their stupidity?
>>
>>52269879
This is caused by failing hardware.

Not a software issue.
>>
>>52273809
The total lack of information is a software issue. A properly-designed system would give you a wealth of debugging information and, if possible, get you to a terminal.
>>
>>52273334

The only thing from 10 I have enjoyed so far is the continuum UI concept. I wish Linux had a DE designed with convertible devices in mind. However it runs a lot slower than Windows 8 on tablets and other portable hardware I've tested.
>>
>>52272263
wtf I have speccy
>>
>>52273906
Yeh you just have to download it again with the compatible version.

No Biggie's.
>>
>>52273906
It also removes CCleaner and a variety of other software. Basically anything that can delete or read stuff beyond the user folder and program files.
>>
>>52273932
I don't like how it removes the software for you, instead of simply informing you you're running incompatible software. I suppose I could understand that they're doing it maybe for convenience but even still if the person can install the software in the first place then they can also remove it and install a more recent version.
>>
>>52273932
It is a big deal. That specific problem is not hard to solve, but it shows that MS is in control of your machine rather than you. Some people reported MUCH bigger problems that resulted in data loss or a system that would not boot, e.g. Windows uninstalling Intel RST software.

Being MS's bitch might not have hurt you yet, but it could utterly fuck you over at any time.
>>
>>52272263
>installing 32-bit Speccy on 64-bit machine

when will you learn
>>
>>52273967
And Linux users will mock win10 for doing that, completely ignoring that they've been fellating linux for YEARS for limiting program access
>>
>>52273225
good thing HAL didn't initialize on your pc you faggot.
>>
>Digital Entitlement license

untouchable bruh
>>
>>52273225
You can configure Windows to do the same, you do know that right?
>>
>>52274040
>completely ignoring that they've been fellating linux for YEARS for limiting program access
No Linux system I've ever used has deleted my programs without my permission. Limiting program access is a good thing, but not if you have to do it by breaking user systems without permission.

You are not a very good shill.

And Windows doesn't even limit program access. The programs can easily be reinstalled and run without problems.
>>
>>52274112
The version of speccy that win10 uninstalled was causing BSOD on some systems, it didn't "run without problems"
>>
>>52274040
What? No, Linux handles how programs are run differently is all.

Windows has always tried to sandbox applications, but when they need higher privileges an admin prompt appears with a yes or no. The issue is that there are near-enough millions of ways that malicious software can circumvent access due to how the main user is also the admin.

On Linux there are two users by default: you and the Root. The root is an invisible account that anyone with the admin password (generally the main user) can manipulate through. However, since the Root is the admin, it is not as easy to circumvent user privileges.

Now, there is another user technically speaking on Windows but it's barely ever used, especially not in UAC. And while this is a very dumbed down explanation you seem like a rather uninformed person on this matter so this is the best I can do.

But in short Linux does not remove software you authorised to be installed. Also the fact Linux has trusted software repos to acquire software it's easier to install through there than downloading an installer for a program from the net and risking a virus.
>>
File: windows-store-logo.jpg (19 KB, 297x296) Image search: [Google]
windows-store-logo.jpg
19 KB, 297x296
>>52274190
Yeah, I wish Windows had a trusted software repository integrated into the system.

OH WAIT
>>
>>52274234
"trusted" is a subjective word since barely any of the apps in that store are open-source so the code cannot be audited for malicious functions.
>>
>>52274079
>You can configure Windows to do the same, you do know that right?
So what? Sane defaults are a good thing. You can partially fix Windows with hours of work, but I'm not some neckbeard who enjoys fighting with my computer. I want a system that Just Werksâ„¢.

I want a computer that has sane defaults. I want a computer that helps me use it however I want, not one that fights me every step of the way. Xubuntu (my current distro of choice) has sane defaults and easy customization. Windows has neither.
>>
>>52274173
>on some systems
Great! SOME people had problems, so Microsoft has decreed no one can use the program.

It did "run without problems" on majority of systems. And even if it did have problems, MS has no business deleting it with no permission.
>>
>>52272263
>program maker doesn't update program for new OS
IT'S WINDOWS FAULT RITE GUYS
>>
>>52274234
That is difficult to use, has a tiny selection, and almost everything is proprietary. It is unusable and not as secure as a proper repo where the source can be audited.
>>
>>52274359
Yup! It worked fine for the vast majority of systems. And there is no reason to delete the program rather than just notifying users of potential problems or DISABLING the program while leaving the files.
>>
>>52274234
>use Netflix App to watch bunch of anime, go on google chrome and see countless ads for cartoons

Microsoft!!!!!!
>>
>>52274294
So you automatically trust anything if it's MUH OPEN SORES?

Cool, moron.

>>52274377
So you think that a program causing conflicts with the OS should be allowed to just.. chill on the disk?
>>
>>52274359
I was more drawing attention to the fact Windows removed the software over simply informing you.

If you had read what I wrote at >>52273997 you'd know this.
>>
>>52274410
source code is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for trusting an application/OS/etc
>>
>>52274410
You mean do I trust something if the source code is auditable and has been checked for any malicious features and has passed with flying colours?

Yes.
>>
Why the hell would you install Windows 10 in the first place?
>>
File: 1423132107324.png (13 KB, 604x163) Image search: [Google]
1423132107324.png
13 KB, 604x163
>>52269879
>>
>>52269879
Can you read? Insert installation media (like a disc or USB device) and run the recovery tools. I swear /g/ has the reading comprehension of a 4 year old
>>
>>52274410
>So you automatically trust anything if it's MUH OPEN SORES?
No. I automatically DIStrust anything proprietary.

>So you think that a program causing conflicts with the OS should be allowed to just.. chill on the disk?
Yup! There is NO reason to delete it. Just notify the user and, if absolutely necessary, disable execution. Deleting the program is unnecessary and unacceptable.
>>
File: chrome_os.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
chrome_os.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>52269879

upgrade to a real os
>>
File: 1451728871202.jpg (23 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1451728871202.jpg
23 KB, 640x480
>>52274561
botnet pls go
>>
>>52274561
>the software is the botnet
>>
>>52274503

Most people won't have that. When you buy machines new they don't supply the media. Most people don't make backups either.

It's like they want people run into problems. Every new version makes it easier to fuck up rather than harder. That's the point being made here.

Most of us here won't be phased by any of this shit. But the vast majority to users will be hard stuck by any one of these issues.
>>
>>52274521
Think he was addressing me there, not you.
>>
>>52269879
Reminder that windows is only going to keep getting worse because, unlike BSD and Linux, it's not modular and is one giant monolithic onion with layer after layer of bullshit added on top of it since the late 80's. It's so big that Microsoft doesn't even know what's inside it. The various components of GNU/ Linux and BSD get swapped out and updated over time, but Microsoft just keeps applying bandaid after bandaid.

>2016
>using windows
>>
>>52274561
might as well install Red Star
>>
>>52272263
>in tux os the application just would not open anymore
>>
>>52274838
More like
>the package manager would automatically fix the dependency issue
>>
>>52274298
>muh sane defaults

majority of people aren't autists like yourself
>>
>>52274860
>the package manager would attempt to automatically fix the dependancy issue
>nothing happens
>it doesn't work
>>
>>52274867
So an autist wants a computer that just works while normalfags want a timesink they have to constantly fight with?

I think you have that backwards, friend.
>>
>>52274889
Except that's completely made up and not what would happen. Modern operating systems have package management specifically to prevent things like >>52272263 from happening.
>>>/v/
>>
>>52274743
Am I being trolled? Or are you, perhaps, retarded?
>>
>>52274904
>a computer that just works
see >>52273225

> normalfags want a timesink they have to constantly fight with?
no, normalfags don't want linux
>>
Reminder that when you argue with Windows users on 4chan, you're arguing with children.
>>
>>52274561
tablet OS?
>>
>>52274473
so a free computer would be referred to as LC (linux computer), or GC (GNU computer)?
>>
>>52274449
>has been checked for any malicious features

by whom, and where are proofs?
>>
>>52273967
?
I had both those programs installed when I updated, literally nothing happened, kept using them as usual
>>
>>52274326
>And even if it did have problems, MS has no business deleting it with no permission.
better user experience when you don't have to debug known problems
>>
>>52272263
link to why it was removed goes to insider preview of windows 10
>>
>>52269879
i can crash windows 10 with a logitech webcam and the built in camera app
>>
>>52274173
>>52274112
>>52273997
>>52273967
>>52272263
2 scenarios
scenario one:
>windows doesn't delete speccy
>you run speccy
>system crashes and you have to start again in best case
>worst case you lose data
>you blame microsoft and microsoft only
>you cry and flame over microsoft like a fucking retard in that situation
don't deny that

other scenario
>windows removes speccy to prevent harm to your machine and data
>you cry and flame over microsoft anyways because you're some entitled autistic linuxtard
>>
>>52275029
By trusted sources, such as big Linux distro creators that have developed a reputation for being trusted.

Debian is a good example. Its repo list is extremely locked down and updates to them are few and far between due to the amount of compatibility checking done, as well as make sure there are no dangerous features in an application.

I can't find any examples specifically for Debian at this moment in time, however this has a lot of information about how Ubuntu's software repo is moderated and just how much curation it goes under.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/52858/which-ubuntu-repositories-are-totally-safe-and-free-from-malware
>>
>>52274948
Only a Winfag would think a BSOD counts as working.

On Windows, you are prevented from using the computer how you want. Doing anything other than what MS wants requires fighting with the computer. On Linux, the computer helps you do whatever you want to do. Only a neckbeard would want a computer that fights them rather than helping them.
>>
>>52275077
>delete a program because a number in the manifest file was 10.0 instead of 10.0.1
>use up a paid license install
>not just providing a support library so the program can run anyway
>protecting user experience
:^)
>>
>>52275148
Scenario three:
>It warns you the software is outdated.
>You uninstall it yourself.

Scanario two:
>It warns you the software is outdated.
>It doesn't work, end of.

I can't possibly comprehend why Speccy would crash your system. However, even if it did crash your system Microsoft could wave any and all responsibility by saying that they warned you.

Ultimately they don't need to remove the software themselves.
>>
>>52275211
>Scanario two:
>>It warns you the software is outdated.
>>It doesn't work, end of.
four*
but
>it doesn't work, end of
would result in the exact same situation
>MICROSHAFT WON'T LET ME RUN MUH PROGRAMMS WHAT THE FUCK BILL
you guys are not resonable
you can't be discussed with
it's not possible
>>
>>52274945

No, neither of those. When you buy new machines from most of the big hardware vendors they won't supply you any media. You have to create the restore disks yourself. Which most people don't do.

And a whole lot of people will have just hit "upgrade to windows 10" button and wont have any media for it.
>>
>>52275211
>I can't possibly comprehend why Speccy would crash your system. However, even if it did crash your system Microsoft could wave any and all responsibility by saying that they warned you.

this never worked: idiots always clicked "YES" "YES" on UAC or disabled it completely, then later they bitch about "PC full of Viruses! Windows suxx".
>>
>>52274032
64bit machines are fully backwards compatible with 32bit applications you fucking daft cunt.
>>
>>52274032
wew

this is bait, right?
>>
>>52275269
What are you talking about? We are having a discussion.

Continue with your points.
>>
>>52275195
it fights the common users stupidity, which he will later regret and blame windows for.

>On Linux, the computer helps you do whatever you want to do.
linux is neutral, it doesn't really help you. if you know what you're doing this is not a problem.
>>
>>52275077
>better user experience when you don't have to debug known problems
Then, it it's absolutely necessary, DISABLE it. There is no reason to delete the files.

Or, better yet, inform users of potential conflicts before installing the update and let them choose how to proceed.
>>
React OS when?
>>
>>52275344
Yes, I noticed, and we had this discussion about 1000 times before that in various other threads
it's always the same

you are never happy with a single thing microsoft does, many other people are and see a clear reasoning behind microsofts methods

no matter what god damn reason microsoft has, you are against it
they could cure cancer, heal HIV, send all terrorists to guantanamo bay, you'd be unhappy with it, end of sentence

you self-proclaimed freedom fighters don't see clear if anything is not 100% under your control and open source
>>
>>52275148
>don't deny that
I deny that. If MS had done this PROPERLY, they would do one the following (ranked in order of preference):
1. Inform me BEFORE THE UPDATE IS INSTALLED about compatibility problems. Let me choose whether or not to proceed with the update. Let me choose what to do with the problematic programs.
2. Inform me after the update is installed of potential problems and notify me of potential problems. Let me choose what to do with the programs.
3. Inform me after the update is installed. Automatically DISABLE the programs, but do not delete them.

Any of those would solve the problem. They would keep me informed and make it easy for me to undo the changes. Deleting the program with no user input is TOTALLY unjustified.

And we aren't just talking about Speccy. Some people reported the update uninstalling DRIVERS, resulting in a system that would not boot. That is a much bigger deal.
>>
>>52275559
>Some people reported the update uninstalling DRIVERS, resulting in a system that would not boot. That is a much bigger deal.
I call utter bullshit on that one
post source
>>
>>52275269
>MICROSHAFT WON'T LET ME RUN MUH PROGRAMMS WHAT THE FUCK BILL
Huh? No. Seeing that the program causes stability problems is different from the OS just not letting you run it.

Either way I'd obviously blame MS. Breaking my programs is still not good. However, breaking programs is FAR better than monkeying around with my system without my permission.
>>
>>52275580
Oh yeah well your mom so HA!
>>
>>52275358
>linux is neutral, it doesn't really help you.
Depends on the system. Arch throws you in the deep end, but anything Ubuntu-based will certainly help you.
>>
Only thing my Windows 10 Enterprise has deleted on its own is 'Webm for Retards' and mkvtoolnix

I don't know why it did it.

but overall after fucking around with the settings and whatnot it's probably my favorite OS for now
>>
>>52275499
I would like you to wait a second on the implications you're making about me.

>We had this discussion about 1000 times before.
Incorrect, you are assuming I am part of some sort of hive mind. This is a false assumption.

>you are never happy with a single thing microsoft does
Also incorrect. In fact I use Windows 7 on one of my PC's.

One more thing, I'm no freetard. Not by any stretch of the imagination. However I'm not going to for a moment say I don't care about my freedom to use what I want to use. I have never once dictated to you what software you should and shouldn't use. You are free to make your own choices, as am I.

Perhaps you are becoming confused and agitated, as you seem to be generalising me and turning me into an amalgamation of what you appear to hate instead of seeing objectively.
>>
>>52275499
>you are never happy with a single thing microsoft does
Correct. They're a shitty company that makes shitty products. If they did the right thing I would praise them for it, but they never do the right thing.

>you self-proclaimed freedom fighters don't see clear if anything is not 100% under your control and open source
Correct. Using proprietary software is ALWAYS against the user's best interests. I do use proprietary software, but only grudgingly.

Hating everything a company does does not prove I'm biased. It's also possible the company REALLY IS that bad.
>>
>>52275580
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3sk32v/new_update_automatically_removing_software
Some people lost Intel RST software, resulting in a system that would not boot.

Other people in that thread also reported problems other than just losing CCleaner and Speccy, e.g. having settings reset or other programs uninstalled.
>>
File: slurp.jpg (66 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
slurp.jpg
66 KB, 1200x627
>>52269879

> schlurrrp
>>
>>52269879
>windows 10 is the most advanced operating system in the world
Pretty sure that's Apple's catch phrase
>>
File: HyperBait.jpg (233 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
HyperBait.jpg
233 KB, 1920x1080
>>52275717
Stop trying to pretend to be me, you little bait-machine, you.
>>
>>52275807
You are Anonymous, dude. You don't have an identity. No one can pretend to be you.

If you're so upset about other people answering questions people asked you, use a tripcode. That's what they're for.
>>
>>52275997
Never really thought of setting one up. Will do that next chance I get, thanks.
>>
>>52276064
Don't use a trip all the time. That's obnoxious. You should be Anonymous 90% of the time.

If you believe your identity is actually important to the thread, though, feel free to give yourself a name.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.