[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /g/ circlejerk over ultraportables like the surface
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: lenovo-laptop-y50-cover-6.jpg (101 KB, 1060x596) Image search: [Google]
lenovo-laptop-y50-cover-6.jpg
101 KB, 1060x596
Why does /g/ circlejerk over ultraportables like the surface so much?

After thermal throttling is concerned, they have the power of about a phone. Their screen is way to damn small to get any work done. They cost way more than an average PC. All for what? A unnecessarily thin body? Gaming laptops are superior.

"But much battery life!" Faggot, learn to use throttle stop and disable the dedicated GPU. Long term battery life is possible on mid range gaming laptops.

"But they all look ricer!" Most are all black aluminum with only a red illuminated keyboard. Without the illumination they look much more professional than an oversized Nokia.

"But you can't play games long on battery!" So? You have the option to use the power saving integrated graphics or the power hungry dedicated graphics. How can having an additional option be a con?

"But muh idle noise" if you are doing anything lightweight, you will not hear the fan at all on any gaming laptop that isn't fucked with dust. If the fan kicks in, that is because you are doing something that causing the CPU to increase its clock, which means you are doing something that is requiring additional horsepower. And once again, use throttlestop if you want to keep your i7 at 800mhz like the surface pro.

"But muh price to performance vs desktops!" Most gaming desktops are huge. Laptops have to fit below 175w usually. The premium in price over a desktop is for a small form factor, thermal efficiency, power efficiency, and an all in one package.

"But the custom desktop/shitty laptop combo" Most retarded thing I have heard. You pay the same price to not solve any of your issues. The laptop will not be able to do shit, and the desktop is not portable at all.

If you think high end ultra portables, or doing the laptop/desktop combo is viable at all... you are too fucking stupid to use a gaming laptop. One program and changing one setting solves everything you faggots bitch about.
>>
Ok
>>
>>52266388
You think I'm going to read all of that? Fuck off.
>>
this is /v/ op not /rational discussion/, if the blatant racism and sexism didn't give it away ...
>>
a chevy corvette is faster and bigger and in all ways greater than a honda prius. more horsepower, more comfortable seats, better exhaust, etc.

why would anyone want to buy a prius?
>>
>>52266444

no, this is /g/

/v/ is that way >>>/v/
>>
>>52266388
Because we own a desktop.
>>
>>52266388
Fuck off faggot. Enjoy your 10lb retardbook somewhere else.

Not all of us are autistic and play video games on-the-go.

Or maybe you want one to lug between mommy and daddy's houses depending on which one is stuck with you that weekend.

Grow up, get a job, build a desktop, and buy a MBP.
>>
>>>52266388 (OP) (You)
>Fuck off faggot. Enjoy your 10lb retardbook somewhere else.
>Not all of us are autistic and play video games on-the-go.
>Or maybe you want one to lug between mommy and daddy's houses depending on which one is stuck with you that weekend.
>Grow up, get a job, build a desktop, and buy a MBP.
>>52266477

10lbs? Damn, last time I checked mine was 5.

"It has a graphics card, therefore it can only be used for gaming". According to that logic. GPU based supercomputers are only meant for crysis. Just ignore that they have beefy specs across the board.

And for someone that moves around, you know visiting family, staying over at the girlfriends, on the job, its nice to have a strong portable main computer with you at all times.
>>
>>52266451
You forgot that the corvette is cheaper and can have 75% of the gas mileage as the Prius.

Also, anybody that drives a Prius doesn't want to drive a Prius. Give them and option and see what they choose nerd.
>>
because i'm not a child and thinkpad master race
>>
>>52266577
And what are you using that double precision GPU for again? I mean, you are paying for it.
>>
I suppose if you dont ever leave your basement, your gaming laptop will hold up just fine. I take my T440s to different clients daily receiving a fair amount of abuse.

>mfw 30% battery after a entire workday
>mfw gets beaten like a whore and keeps on kicking
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.