[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck these assholes - imgur is now forcing gifv down your throat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: HnJkrC5.gif (73 KB, 2566x1213) Image search: [Google]
HnJkrC5.gif
73 KB, 2566x1213
Go to http://i.imgur.com/SMRHIkg.gifv and see if you can download it as a webm. Used to be able to, now it only allows you to save as a gifv. Why are they forcing their proprietary and shitty format on the web?
>>
Well, no one is forcing you to visit that normiepile
>>
>>52258379
>and see if you can download it as a webm.
I do, I just have to wget the corresponding URL.

>Why are they forcing their proprietary and shitty format on the web?
That's not even a format, that's a HTML page that automatically either loads a webm or a mp4 depending on your browser
>>
File: RealUseful.png (7 KB, 1861x797) Image search: [Google]
RealUseful.png
7 KB, 1861x797
>this is what you get when you open a downloaded gifv

>>52258437
fair enough, if you do a wget it works. They redirect if you try to go through the browser though
>>
>>52258451
They do it because you're requesting it with a Accept: text/html header. Simple to bypass.

If you feel you must keep accessing those webm without JavaScript by rewriting the URL you may have a browser extension for that.
>>
>going to image reddit
>>
>>52258379

But gifv is a billion times better because it works on all platforms

Webm only works on Google shit
>>
>>52258905
>gifv works on all platforms
>it doesn't even work on this website
>>
>>52258916
that's not a platform, he's talking OS.
>>
Who the fuck cares? If you do then fck off back to reddit right now
>>
why would you even want to visit imgur in the first place
>>
just do Right Click -> Save video as?
>>
File: nzzydm.png (619 KB, 760x563) Image search: [Google]
nzzydm.png
619 KB, 760x563
works for me my man
>>
>>52258905
And on Firefox and even on edge iirc.
>>
>>52258379
>hosting your images on imgur
>not hosting your images on ANONMGUR
>>
>>52259018
>thinking I havent tried that
Still gives a gifv file.
>>
>>52259209
try a browser that isn't shit like chrome
>>
>>52259274
I'm using firefuck desu
>>
>>52259274
>using a browser from a company that spies on you and made well over a billion dollars selling your data

Wow, you're pathetic.
>>
File: no apng 4chan.png (9 KB, 264x89) Image search: [Google]
no apng 4chan.png
9 KB, 264x89
>>52258379
This isn't the future we wanted, but it's the future we deserve.

>>52259018
Weird. This worked the first time I did it, and now no longer works.
>>
>>52259309
try a browser that isn't shit, like chrome*

>>52259319
>he says as he input a google recaptcha to make his post
>>
>>52259345

I use ublock and disable all 3rd party requests by default. I'm only allowing google on this website, but you honestly make a great point. I need to stop using 4chan because of google's grasp on here. I've been browsing around other sites such as 8᠎c᠎h᠎a᠎n, but I really like you guys.
>>
>>52259209
You seem to be having a difficult time understanding that gifv is just a wrapper around webm or mp4. Let me help clarify. The gifv format is just an html wrapper around a webm or mp4. You can still access the movie directly but web requests will redirect to the gifv. The gifv being an html wrapper around webm or mp4.
>>
>>52259799
Why don't they just use webm without all this shit?
>>
File: karin-nx.gif (22 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
karin-nx.gif
22 KB, 256x256
>>52258916
>>
>>52259887
Branding would be my guess.
>>
>>52259887
Makes it more challenging. Don't you like challenges anon?
>>
>>52260057
>>52260075
ah, so you don't have a real answer then.

very well. i'll find someone who does.
>>
>>52260102
Why are you on 4chan asking about imgur? Go ask @sarah if you want a real answer.
>>
>https://i.imgur.com/SMRHIkg.webm
What possible confusing reason could there be for introducing a new extension for a format that DOESN'T EVEN FUCKING EXIST?
>>
I just get my webm's from 4chan anyway
>>
>>52259196
pomf.se died, not many other choices.
>>
>>52259799
This. It's so the webm doesn't become the page, instead it sits inside of a player within the page.
>>
>>52258401
This. Vote with your feet.
>>
>>52259887
cross compatibility for all the mobile scrubs
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.