[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys use to transfer large amounts of files between
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Man realizes he's in FFX.webm (3 MB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
Man realizes he's in FFX.webm
3 MB, 540x304
What do you guys use to transfer large amounts of files between two computers?

I'm trying to help out a friend with a potato of a computer. No working USB ports, and for some reason, home networks won't work on it.

I could always go through something like Dropbox and do it chunk by chunk but if there's a faster way i'd much rather.

So /g/, any tips?
>>
sshfs works rather nicely
>>
>>52257399
>home networks won't work on it
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>52257399
>usb between 2 pcs
lol no
>home networks don't work
what does that mean? anyway, there's a way to connect 2 pcs without a router but you need a particular ethernet cable, the simplest way is to connect both to a router and if the windows sharing doesn't work use something like babyFTP, start the server on the computer you have your files in select the folder you want and then use the other pc as a client
>dropbox
incredibly slow even on the fastest internet connection you'll find
>>
>>52257419
Does sshfs work well between two windows-based machines?
>>52257516
So I try to set up a homegroup but the laptop isn't showing up in the file directory where my roommates computers are. I've tried tinkering with it but to no avail.
>>52257556
Read above for why.

I'll try babyFTP if I can't get the homegroup working for some reason.
>>
rsync
>>
>>52257638
if you just want the shit done don't even bother to make the homegroup work, just set up an ftp server, transfer those files and close it. babyftp is good cause it just werks
>>
>>52257709
Thanks, i'll try that!
>>
>>52257742
remember to check the options, i don't know if you know but on windows to access an ftp server just write on the topbar of explorer ftp://localipoftheserver:port
you have to know the ip of the server of course and the port the server is using, remember to allow the anonymous access or it won't work
>>
>>52257556
You don't need a "particular Ethernet cable"
NICs have been able to differentiate between patch and crossed cables for the better part of a decade.
>>
>>52257399
ethernet cable, ffs
>>
>>52257896
that is to say that modern computers automatically know what's on the other side, and perform the cross at the NICs, so there's no need for crossed cables anymore.
>>
>>52257399
Fucking lol at that webm. Never seen that before.

I don't know, OP...couldn't you hook up the hard drive to the newer computer and transfer that way? I've never been in that position before.
>>
>>52257841
We were going to be edgy and use our own server. Roommate used to work at a school and they upgraded, so we took one.

We haven't ever used it, though, so we don't remember the admin password and can't remotely access it.

The IP should just be the IP of the computer, right?
>>
>>52257399
Syncthing, Bittorrent Sync
>>
>>52257399
Yojimbo
wait what was the question
>>
>>52257920
>>52257896
Jesus christ i'm literally retarded, thought I needed a crossover cable.

Transferring right now.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.