[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name your occupation.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: IMG_0007.jpg (994 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0007.jpg
994 KB, 1536x2048
Look guys I know a bunch of you are really smart, so list what you went to college for and the majors that you have accomplished in the time being. I personally want to major in Cybersecurity, but many IS and IT guys are saying the Computer Science market is too saturated. Speak your mind, /g/.

>inb4 stupid thread
>>
>>52254959
go back to reddit, attention whoring nigger
>>
Math turor, getting my BSME though.
>>
>microcenter pic
kek
>>
>>52254990
Did you call me a nigger
>>
>>52254959
>I personally want to major in Cybersecurity.
That's too specific for bachelors and too dumb for masters. Computer Science is what you want.

Also this: >>52254990
>>
>>52254959
>Look guys I know a bunch of you are really smart
how on earth did you come to that conclusion?
>>
>>52255003
this, lel
I literally have 10 times more computing related books at my home
>>
>>52255050
shshshsh, don't tell him about our desktop threads.
>>
>>52254959
graduate student, Ph.D. candidate in chemistry

I do a lot of inorganic materials applications in biology but also industrial materials applications, namely superparamagnetic nanoparticles as spintronic substrates and plasmonic nanomaterials as next-generation computing substrates.

Feel free to slap me with your e-peen.
>>
Informatics with a telecom concentration. I'm currently at a tv station for an internship. And if I don't get some sort of gig doing movies/tv then there's always IT. And then an eventual violent death.
>>
>>52255091
>I do a lot of inorganic materials applications in biology but also industrial materials applications, namely superparamagnetic nanoparticles as spintronic substrates and plasmonic nanomaterials as next-generation computing substrates.
So in other words, you're a lowly lab technician?
>>
I work as a janitor at a college on the east coast. It's not too bad. Sometimes I'll be mopping the floors and I'll see this equation on a chalkboard and solve it like it was nothing. It's whatever.
>>
CFO of small company.
Have BS-Accounting degree
Come to /g because I'm also the lead IT person and know squat about IT.
>>
>>52254959
I went to college to get my Bachelor's in English Literature (top fucking kek, amirite?), but dropped out because the degree was pointless, and I was only going so my parents wouldn't kick me out of the house. Needless to say, they kicked me out when I dropped out. I then got a job at a hospital doing sterile processing (surgical equipment cleaning and assembly), and was shift lead within a year. I got a few certifications, and am now full PRN making $28 an hour, working around 50 hours a week. Most of my funds go towards my wife's degree, she'll be done in a few years.

I'm going to be going back to college in a few years to do something in networking, but like you I'm trying to dodge the fields that are overpopulated with curryniggers.
>>
>>52255130
You're probably seeing a shrink and making fun of the barneys.
>>
>>52254959
I'm a PhD student

I used to work as an embedded developer before I became utterly disillusioned with the field, that's why I decided to go back into research.
>>
>>52254959
>Computer science is too saturated
Yeah, with uninspired, unenterprising, lack of upward mobility dipshits who couldn't lead a project if they were given a half million dollar bonus to do it

25, BSCompSci, worked for a firm in cybersecurity and data storage, opened my own and make $250,000 after taxes. Major in something you can see yourself doing for over a few decades. Don't waste time listening to moron friends who can't see beyond their tax rate.
>>
>>52255171
That's because embedded development is overrated currynigger stuff.
>>
>>52255114
No, I'm a grad student. We are lower than technicians on the laboratory totem pole until we receive our Ph.D.s, at which point we become a liability because we have to be paid more. We are usually are shipped off to work as post-docs for less money than we're worth until we can convince a University to take us on as adjunct faculty with the faint hope of getting a tenure track position which may or may not yield a stable, decent paying job. Such is academia in 2016.

Again, feel free to slap me with your e-peen if you think you're better than me.
>>
>>52255185
>25, BSCompSci, worked for a firm in cybersecurity and data storage, opened my own and make $250,000 after taxes.
Nicely memed, senpai
>>
>>52255062
>2016
>still owning books
>not relying entirely on stackoverflow
you're a shit coder bro
>>
>>52255171
Hey. >>52255091 here

What are you thinking about doing after you get your degree? I don't think I can stand working as a research professor scrounging grant money from greedy douches who happen to have money and I want some ideas.
>>
>>52255249
not him but you are a shit coder.
>>
File: 1436284484144.jpg (29 KB, 430x360) Image search: [Google]
1436284484144.jpg
29 KB, 430x360
>>52254959
>Look guys I know a bunch of you are really smart
>>
>>52255253
Hello my new friend. I just want you to know that asking for an opinion in this board is not a good idea. People are bunch of NEETs who jerk of to ugly C programs and think OOP is shit. Honestly, don't take anything from here seriously.
>>
>>52255201
>Again, feel free to slap me with your e-peen if you think you're better than me.
I don't, I'm a PhD student too. But I don't aim to stay in academia though, our post-docs only work around the clock to apply for grant money from different EU projects and tenure and tenure-track positions are virtually non-existing.

>>52255197
Well, not a lot of currynig in my country though. Just cowboy developers who think they are the shit because they have managed to crowbar themselves into some niche market where one or many clients are completely dependent on their shitty product.
>>
File: 14520310757291250655975.jpg (4 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
14520310757291250655975.jpg
4 MB, 3984x2988
>>52254959
>pic related
>>
>>52255140
>$28/hr

Fortykeks
>>
>>52255257
fuck off bitch boy my code runs enterprise services with 99.9% SLA u segfault homosexual
>>
>>52255253
See >>52255310

I plan on going back into the industry. My research institute is continuously spawning new start ups with graduated PhDs and I'm sorta hoping it will go that direction, but if it doesn't I will apply at some multi-national company and get the hell out of this miniature country.
>>
>>52254959
Who is the father of graphical user interfaces? If you tell me it's Steve Jobs I'll blow a fuse.
>>
>>52255322
>tripfag
>principle purpose
>naval nuclear power
holy shit
>>
File: 1462495826846.gif (1 MB, 305x360) Image search: [Google]
1462495826846.gif
1 MB, 305x360
>>52255217
Hey thanks :^)
>>
>>52255310
This honestly. They think they are geniuses because muh low levelness. Real programming starts when you have a huge project, too many project members and thousands of users.

I even heard from a guy that they consider writing tests as a "waste of time".
>>
>>52255361
Richard Stallman.
>>
>>52255361
Doug Engelbart
>>
File: obama-student-id-columbia-x.jpg (29 KB, 640x406) Image search: [Google]
obama-student-id-columbia-x.jpg
29 KB, 640x406
>>52255375
Here's mine senpai
>>
Got my BSEE and currently do design work for an MEP firm.
>>
>>52255382
>I even heard from a guy that they consider writing tests as a "waste of time".
Yup, the CTO/head of developers at the company I used to work for just laughed when we said we wanted to write automated tests, and said that only consultants do that because they are paid by the hour.

There were so many software engineering sins and outright programming sins done at that company, I just couldn't take it any more.

Add to that, the CTO was a complete tool too. I mean, I could definitively stand to work a place where they're not perfect as long as they are open to suggestions and willing to change when they are presented with better alternatives. But this guy, he was actually proud of being a hacker type guy that implemented his own broken POS web server that generated HTML from his own shitty "C with classes" C++ code. He refused to use the standard library STL types because he didn't "trust it" and thus implemented his own types (such as string types). He did user authentication on client side for the web GUI config stuff for the devices, so it was full of security holes and his excuse for not fixing it was that "hurr durr clients shouldn't use it public facing" (but clients WERE using the device configs public facing...)
>>
>>52255555
nice quints, senpai
>>
>>52255351
This is what I'm afraid of. I have serious qualms about using my talents to further a broken economic system that bends the academic enterprise to its will solely for monetary gain that only benefits an already wealthy few. I'd rather contribute to society in another way.
>>
>>52255375
>tripfag
You new here?
>>
>>52255555
The worst thing was maybe that while he considered writing tests a waste of time, him being inefficient as fuck because he insisted on using his own self-written text editor rather than Vim/Emacs/CodeBlocks/Eclipse/Whatever like the rest of us did didn't seem to bother him at all.
>>
>>52255555
>He refused to use the standard library STL types because he didn't "trust it"
You are joking, aren't you?
>>
>>52255716
I wish

The guy taught himself C++ and we inherited his shitty code base. Another example was his "clever" way of storing two integers in one field, where he divided one of the numbers by 100 and then stored it in a double. But to extract the number, however, he didn't just take the first integer through truncation and then multiply the remainder by 100.. No, no, he fucking converted the fucking number to string, located the "." digit and then did atoi on both sides....

I mean, he didn't mind us fixing these kinds of hacks, but I was really annoyed that he was actually proud that he had managed to make these sorts of ugly hacks work.
>>
>>52255846
>>52255716
The thing is, these kind of guys are apparently everywhere in the field of embedded programming, because of how the field works. In "normal IT" a client would buy a solution from an alternative company if the product turns out to be shit. In embedded, however, how that works is that a company makes a gadget or device or whatever that no one else makes, and thus the poor suckers that start using your device end up being locked to that and that alone.
>>
I can't tell you what I do but it's pretty important.
>>
>>52255846
kek. I am totally saving these.
>>
>>52256068
People on this board claiming that embedded development is the pinnacle of programming either have no fucking clue about how horrible the people in the field are, or worse.... they ARE these kind of people.
>>
File: 1447472193524.jpg (297 KB, 1589x1191) Image search: [Google]
1447472193524.jpg
297 KB, 1589x1191
>>52254959
>Computer Science market is too saturated
Not really, they just need people with proven skills and experience.
>I want to major in Cybersecurity
That's a ITT tech tier bullshit degree. You want to major in networking. Also go to a college. Start at the JC level and work your way up.
>Name your occupation
I work for a wisp and troubleshoot peoples internet connection. They work around my college schedule which is cool.
End user support is aight. But I'd much rather be working in researching a developing stuff.
>>
>>52256171
People on this board are noob college students who have never done anything serious. The only fact that they preach to C is enough to see it.
>>
File: 1451421079025.gif (481 KB, 499x315) Image search: [Google]
1451421079025.gif
481 KB, 499x315
>>52254959
Hi my name is Preston Longarms and I inhale spray paint as a vocation. I usually hang out behind a dumpster near the hardware store, where you can find me feverishly masturbating with a trashbag tied around my neck, or sleeping with my eyes opened.

I usually post on /g/ from public wifi on my chromebook. I majored in African American Studies at a community college.
>>
Refrigeration technician.

Fuck college and university. I'm 26 with a house,car and family.

I work with my hands and brain. Being paid while you learn is awesome.

>inb4 tradesmen are dumb.

Canadian government regulated tradesmen, so we are paid quite nicely and have good benefits.
>>
Mechanical engineer/Operations manager

I enjoy it, make decent money, and have pretty good job security.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.