[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/rice/ General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: manjaro-090p1-kde.png (965 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
manjaro-090p1-kde.png
965 KB, 1920x1080
Read the /g/ wiki on ricing if you already haven't:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Android_ricing
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Windows_ricing

Quick startoff tips:
-Don't use Unity/KDE/Gnome unless you want an unricable meme DM
-Browse desktop threads and read screenfetch info!
-Ask all questions about rice in this thread
-GNOME3 cannot have custom WMs or Display Managers

So guys, do you think there's any rice potential in KDE?
What's your favourite setup /g/?
>>
First for Enlightenment a shit
>>
Cinnamon looks good, how well does it bare compared to other WMs/DEs?
>>
>>52248895
>-GNOME3 cannot have custom WMs or Display Managers

Wat? This makes no sense.

In what way can you not use say lightdm to log into GNOME? Like.. are you on meth?

Also GNOME can be "riced" if you know what the fuck you are doing.

I swear half the people on /g/ are retarded.
>>
>>52249308
I meant that GNOME's DM can't log into other DEs/WMs
And by saying GNOME can't can't be riced I meant that it's rice potential is significantly lowered than you would be able to rice in i.e. fluxbox
And yes, I am retarded
>>
>>52249465
Have more then one DE installed, click user in GDM, click gear to change the one you want to log into. Type password. See DE you selected.
>>
What is the best ricing set up? I like titling managers, are openbox any good though? I see good looking open box stuff
>>
>>52249750
Tiling requires a bit of setup.

You can tile on openbox using Pytyle
>>
>>52248895
fuck off, there's already a desktop thread and all that info is in the sticky already
useless thread, sage
>>
>>52250328
I don't mind setting up. What is the easiest way to get up and running? Should I get manjaro with openbox to get access to the AUR? Or is there something else I could do? For example xubuntu and then add openbox , so that I have xfce as a alternative ? Would be cool to know what you guys think. Or maybe another wm all together? I tried i3 and liked it, but it's not as easy to costumize as I want
>>
>>52250433
Depends on how much of the pizza you want to cook.

You can go full Openbox as your standalone WM, using xinitrc to manage sessions daemons and start up scripts. Some use an underlying DE, if not just for the environment and ease of setup. You will have to install bits and pieces of what you need, usually from different DEs or even standalone programs (these are better since they are lighter on the dependencies).

>For example xubuntu and then add openbox , so that I have xfce as a alternative

Do whatever you want. Xubuntu will give you xfce tools. Usually you would use thsoe tools anyways. Use openbox as your WM.

> I tried i3 and liked it, but it's not as easy to costumize as I want

RTM. You customize, you will face some troubles. That's the point. Hack your away.

Also, read the sticky.
>>
For what purpose?
>>
>>52250433
>For example xubuntu and then add openbox , so that I have xfce as a alternative

I personally install Ubuntu MATE

ans use MATE as my fallback.

Otherwise Im always on DWM and never had to use Mate in quite awhile.
>>
>>52250553
this thread is entirely redundant
all the op info is in the sticky, there are already desktop/home screen threads, and there are /flt/ and /sqt/ for anyone who needs help
>>
>UNITY/KDE/GNOME CAN'T BE RICED (gnome's appearance and behaviour are defined in css and js for fucks sake)
>Wikis
>Screenfetch info matters
>Doesn't know that gnome is its own WM (gnome-shell)

Obvious desktop thread faggot scum that stalls the moment they have to do something other than edit a config file that has its own man page/wiki

I bet you wouldn't even be able to rice OS X
>>
>>52249465
>GNOME ... rice potential is significantly lowered than ... eg. fluxbox
True that, but it's not gnomes point to provide user with too many options. It looks and functions very good from the get go

>inb4 gnome is the worst de
>>
>>52250433
try bspwm
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.