[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is every voice assistant so shit? I can feel that they are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: google-now-vs-siri-vs-cortana.jpg (58 KB, 800x491) Image search: [Google]
google-now-vs-siri-vs-cortana.jpg
58 KB, 800x491
Why is every voice assistant so shit?
I can feel that they are the future, I've tried them all, yet none of them is remotely close to being good.
>>
They work pretty well. Cortana is great desu. Voice recognition and features are missing though.

You tell me that cortana can sing premade songs for me but you say it like it can do so much more than that. Cortana can't even shut down my PC for me. I'd love to say cortana put the computer to sleep in 45 minutes. Cortana open up dying light for me. Cortana Skype call Jeremy please.

You get the picture. They need to have a linguist go in and teach the developers how people talk and want to interact with cortana.
>>
>>52247493
What can cortana do that siri can't? I honestly don't know
>>
>>52247516
Cortana is on Windows computers
Siri isn't on Apple computers
>>
>>52247220
because this is real life, not star trek. they're all gimmicks that barely work. marketing buzzwords for normies.
>>
>>52247548
I'm just asking what it can do, not what platform it's on
>>
>>52247516
I didn't really compare the two. I abstain from Apple products because I don't believe in locked ecosystems the way they go about their products. I simply gave my two centerinos on cortana voice assistant.
>>
>>52247220
The only time I use it is when I'm driving for calling someone/setting a destination on my WP.
Otherwise, they're pretty bad, yeah.

The voice recognition works great in Japanese though, because of very clear syllables cut.
>>
>>52247493
Why do you need to complicate the most basic of functions? I don't get modern tech. Tech is supposed to make tasks in your life easier, not just be a gimmick.
>>
>>52247755
How does this complicate a basic function? I can't set my computer to turn off in 45 minutes without setting it to turn off every 45 inactive minutes. If I'm busy assembling a chair or across the room and I yell for cortana to give Jeremy a call for some help or just to expedite things, how is this not a useful, completely optional an unobtrusive feature?
>>
>>52247220
Are there any open source ones that I can donate to or otherwise help to improve?
>>
>>52247802
>I can't set my computer to turn off in 45 minutes
>Win-R
>"shutdown /s /t 2700"
>enter

takes maybe 3 seconds
>>
>>52247220
You need to shout that bitch out when you are outside and sound like a total idiot
>>
>>52247873
>believing that typing in command codes in a minishell is easier and productive than saying "turn my computer off in 45 minutes"

Please go.
>>
>>52247977
it's easier and faster. plus there's no need for the botnet to be listening 24/7.
>>
>>52248234
It's -not- easier and quite frankly it's -not- faster unless you are both a fast typer AND a slow speaker.

Most people have no need or want to learn these commands. It's unnecessary.
>>
>>52247702
Okay fucking hell just tell me what's great about cortana. I don't even use apple devices. I have it on my phone and desu it can't do much at all. Don't understand why you would avoid apple but use Microsoft instead
>>
>>52248306
It's just convenient, anon. It's there when you want to use it and not there when you don't want it. If you're afraid of the botnet then disconnect yourself from the internet period point blank. It's all botnet. All of it.

Cortana is just convenient for certain tasks. It provides testing grounds for future AI that is more functional and useful. Soon well be able to hook up our keurigs and ask cortana to make you some coffee while you finish up your work or speak it to your phone as you wake up in the morning.

Nobody said siri or cortana were completed projects. Why are you so hostile to growing technology? Do you even use Linux or have you accepted the botnet?
>>
>>52248357
fuck me, can it translate, make timers, create notes, send email etc...? That is all I'm asking. What it can do, anything interesting/useful?
>>
>>52248763
Dunno. It can create timers, reminders, set events, pretty sure it can email email, open programs, search Google, search PC for files, bring up weather. I'm pretty sure it can bring back stock information using the windows stock app. It might be able to send emails. Might even be able to start Skype calls and shit since Skype is a part of windows. It functions in more than English and I'm sure it can translate using Bing.

There's a ton of features i dont know about. I mainly have her tell me jokes and open programs while I'm away from my desk.
>>
>>52248357
>it's not done yet
negro how long has siri been out? user patience isn't something that endures for fucking years like this.

every time i try to use voice commands for anything more complicated than "set a timer for N minutes" i find it fucking trips over itself and i need to fix it. i'm not even sure if i would say that it shortens the amount of work that i have to do (like doing 80% of the work and leaving me with 20% to finish). A lot of these voice systems are around 4 years old, built on technology that's decades old. that's completely unsatisfactory.
>>
>>52248850
>the technology is 4 years old
>Why isn't AI finished anon?

Don't be stupid, bro. These technologies are beta as fuck and reliable, functional and accurate AI assistants won't be available for at least 6 years for the public.
>>
>>52247220
>Why is every voice assistant so shit?
What do you mean? It seems like you're expecting them to be able to do something that they can't but you never say what it is?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.