[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help me plot a good airflow for my pc.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160105_153608-min.jpg (876 KB, 4208x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160105_153608-min.jpg
876 KB, 4208x3120
First off, I know /g/ is not my personal tech adviser but I could really use some quality advice.

I have noticed my pc runs extremely hot under load, and found a whooping 90C temperature on my GPU playing Syndicate. My case has no fans on it except for the one that came with the K380, and have decided to invest in some good fans.

Here is an album of my build. Please critique my cable management too.
https://imgur.com/a/LcDoo

I know the GPU is in a terrible position and I should probably move it up to the above pci slot, but the clipping on it was broken by a "pc repair guy" hack I had called after I had a mental breakdown trying to get my r9 280x to work for twelve hours (first build, it was DOA, I realized that too late).
I know it will work probably if I do a Windows reinstall, but I honestly don't want to deal with that slot.

I was thinking a 140mm fan for the exhaust, and two 120mm fans: one intake on the top and one outtake on the side pane or bottom (not sure if this is a good idea)

Please suggest me a good (and cheap if possible) fan for my case. Please also do check if it is available on amazon.in/flipkart.com.

My specs
AMD FX-8320, stock cooler
PowerColor AMD R9 280X
1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Motherboard
Antec VP550 550w PSU
Cooler Master K380 case

Around an hour and a half of light use (music and browsing) the GPU is at ~50C and the CPU is at ~45C.
Room temperature is ~26C with the PC off.

Thanks in advance.
>>
Why is your gpu so close to psu move it up?
>>
>>52246532
This, both can overheat and cause issues
>>
>amazon.in
>in
>India

Your nation is full of tech support people, why not ask them?
>>
>>52246559
because they don't poo in the loo
>>
Use the 140mm fan for the exhaust yes, the bigger the fan the slower they can run while pushing out as much air. Use one fan on the top as exhaust and the other on the side as intake to blow cool air at the GPU. You may have to move the GPU to the top slot to do that.
>>
Speaking of cooling, what is the meme heatsink now? still the EVO hyper x thing?
>>
File: received_1113156645380716.gif (2 MB, 350x202) Image search: [Google]
received_1113156645380716.gif
2 MB, 350x202
Dont forget to install gentoo
>>
>>52246587
For $20 you can call it whatever you want
>>
>>52246532
as stated in op, the clip that secures the gpu to the mobo is broken on that slot. I don't want to risk breaking anything else, and like I said using that slot still gives me stress.

You're right though, I should eventually get around to doing it but I really don't want to break something that's working

>>52246559
Because I don't trust them.

>>52246580
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you recommend any fans in particular?

Thanks for the replies btw guys.
>>
>>52246587
212 Evo
>>
>>52246652
Depending how many fan headers you have on your motherboard you may need to connect the fans directly to the PSU via molex which will run them at 100% speed so you have to take note of the noise potential, if you're going that route you could buy a fan controller that adjusts the voltage on the fly to adjust to your liking.

If you're not gonna get a controller then I'd recommend fans with rubber pads on them to reduce the vibration from them running at full speed but then again you have a stock cooler so I can't imagine that thing is quiet either.

I'd recommend getting a fan controller, then you can get cheap fans and adjust it so that it doesn't make too much noise.
>>
>>52246473
Put a fan at the side panel, either as exhaust or intake.
>>
>>52246702
I don't really care about noise that much, it's already pretty loud.
>>
>>52246473
Use two 120mm fans for intake and the 140mm for exhaust. One of the xhaust fans better be behind the cpu so it can pull out hot air.
Its always better to have more intake air than exhaust.

Also 90c on stock cooler 8320 is normal, get a better heatsink for it though so you can MAX POWER.
>>
I would put a fan on the front and on that side vent as intakes. Top and rear for exhaust. Why isn't there an exhaust fan in the rear? What's with the PCIe power extension, it's not an adapter because that PSU has two 6+2 connectors..
>>
You only need 2 fans... Any more and you will only be getting like 2-3c better temps. Just keep that in mind when purchasing fans. Also, the only reason to get 140mm fans over 120 is because they can move the same amount of air but at a slower speed if need be. It's much quieter for sure.
Now, your gpu really shouldn't be hitting 90c unless you have it overclocked and changed the temp limit. Liquid cooling your gpu is also amazing. Mine never goes above 60c, average gaming is in the 40s or 50s if the game us intensive.
For your cpu, you have a fucking 8320 man. That chip can run so fucking hot and you have it on stock. After 2 weeks of using the stock cooler I just couldn't take it. Get yourself a hyper tx3 if you want cheap and reliable. Liquid/high end air if you want a quiet system with low temps. Also, when installing your cooler, applying thermal paste heavily affects the 8320s temps. That's just from my almost 3 yrs of owning one. You honestly have to use as little as possible, even the pea method was too much paste. Optimal temps should be like 30-35 idle and at load it depends on the cooler.

I really like the phanteks fans but since you're on a budget, try that cooler Master 4 pack of fans and maybe some noise reduction adapters for them.

Tl;Dr fans can have a big impact on temps but having more than 2 yields little improvements. 1 intake 1 exhaust
>>
>>52246783
90c on an 8320 is not normal. At around 70c+ the cpu automatically down clocks itself to like 1.4 ghz to keep the temps from rising much. I'm sure the system would definitely shut down at 90c.
>>
Cooler Master 140mm fans are quiet and inexpensive, and any 120 fan that runs <1500rpm with 9 or more swept design fan blades will be quiet enough for you. They also make voltage reducing adapters that help fans that are not PWM and 2000+rpm slow down to better speeds. I think there's a trick to also pull one of the black or yellow wires but not sure.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (57 KB, 612x367) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
57 KB, 612x367
>>52246783
the cpu doesn't hit 90c, it's around 80 under load. I stop using the pc when it gets any higher.
>>52246785
There is a fan that came with the case on the front. Also I received a 4to6 pin adapter with the gpu I think but didn't use it as I already had a 6pin coming from the gpu. Is this a problem?

>>52246790
Sadly I cannot afford proper liquid cooling. Should I save for a cpu heatsink? I assume most of my problems would be fixed with the fans.

Does anyone know if the CM K380's exhaust supports 140mm fans? The website says 80/90/120, does that mean 140mm will not fit?
>>
Don't bother 'plotting' good airflow.
Just get wires out of the way.

And get a cooler for your CPU, the stock cooler is ASS.
>>
>>52246975
How high is the ambient temp of your room?

Maybe 90*C is good considering it's hot in India.
>>
>>52247008
>And get a cooler for your CPU, the stock cooler is ASS.

If it didn't work well, then it wouldn't come with the cpu, retard

Its fine you fucking ricer
>>
>>52247017
The pc is in the hall on the first floor.
With the pc running for ~2ish hrs (browsing, music), currently the room temperature is 28.7c, CPU is at 30-40c and the gpu is at 50c

Can anyone confirm if my case's exhaust supports a 140mm fan? Website doesn't mention it. I can send pics in a second if needed.

Sorry for so many questions.
>>
the side panel slits are actually going to fuck up your thermals
>>
>>52246975
From the pics it seems you can only have 120mm fans. Just get a good cpu cooler. The hyper tx3 is really cheap and quiet. It cools well although I've only used it in budget builds with dual core cpus. I would never build a pc with a stock heatsink ever again. Even if a customer doesn't ask for one, I usually convince them to go for it. Even if the cpu is just some pentium/celeron. I just don't want clients complaining about how hot or loud their pc is.
If your cpu is going above 70c you're just losing A LOT of performance because the chip down clocks itself.
As for fans, it really doesn't matter. Just look at how much air the fan moves compared to the noise level of the fan. You have to find a sweetspot for yourself or just buy any fan with good reviews. At low price points there's not really much difference at all. All of them will do the job and you will get better temps.
Still this doesn't explain the gpu temps. Gpus now limit themselves to 80c unless you set the temp limit to max which is about 95c. That's the only time I ever seen a gpu go up to the 90s. Check any gpu software you have on your pc like msi afterburner or evga precision.
>>
>>52247038
OP is trying to optimise airflow but is still using the stock cooler.
This is called retarded.
If you optimise your airflow your temps will go down by 5C. If you get a better cooler, the temps will go down by 30C.
>>
My PC has 1 fan and it stays super cool and quiet, i5 3470 and Zotac GTX 970 for the win!
>>
Alright then, I'll grab myself three cooler master's 120mm fans as I can't place a 140mm fan.

I'll also just save for a Noctua I don't think spending it on 212evo or a hyper tx3 is worth my money.

Does anyone have any thoughts on placing a fan on the bottom? It looks like the GPU is pushing air to the bottom and the fan does the opposite and it doesn't look like there's much place for the air to go above the gpu. Will this be a problem?
>>
>>52246473
>quality advice
>/g/
Choose one
>>
>>52246473

OP:

1. Move the HDD to the bottom slot or the lowest you can get it. It is just blocking airflow otherwise.

2. Move the GPU to the top slot. Yes, I know it's broken. So is mine, and I still have it in. The case should have places that you can secure the GPU (ie. on the left side of your picture where you connect cables to your GPU). I've had my GPU screwed on that side and it's been fine for more than a year.

3. If you're really concerned about cpu temps then get a better HSF. Or if you're cheap you can try changing the thermal paste.

4. lastly, check when you're computer is on, if hot air is exiting the GPU from the side a lot. If it is, you might not want your side fan to be blowing in air as that would stop the GPU from being able to expel the hot air as efficiently.

hope this helps.
>>
>>52246706
exhaust
>>
>>52246473
>please critique my cable managemet too
it's the ugliest, most retarded, and inefficient cabling I've seen in a while

I hope you choke on molded shit while using the nearest designated shitting street
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.