[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
XP Pro SP2 on a Dell Dimension 4600i keeps permanently freezing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
XP Pro SP2 on a Dell Dimension 4600i keeps permanently freezing at log in screen even after disabling all non-essential services, disabling all start up programs and checking the drive for bad sectors.

Boots up normally in safe mode. Any ideas?
>>
>>52242523
open cmd

sfc /scannow
>>
>>52242523
Anything in the Event Viewer?
>>
File: 1451969797941-750548345.jpg (4 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
1451969797941-750548345.jpg
4 MB, 4160x3120
>>52242537
>>52242550

I actually can't boot into safe mode now, its hanging here indefinitely.
>>
>>52242631
do you have a start up repair disk?

why is the computer still on XP let alone XP SP2?

could you plug the hard drive into another computer and get any information you want off it with another OS?
>>
>>52242631
Honestly, I'd just reinstall at this point.

Look into Windows Embedded POSReady 2009. ISOs and serials can be easily found.

Or at least find an XP Pro OEM disc with SP3 already on it. You do have at least 640MB of RAM, right?
>>
>>52242668

It was a family computer not used since 2006 to be thrown away.

I haven't had the chance to wipe and install SP3 as it has some viruses on it, I'd like to run a backup of a working version of the install. I have an XP install disc.
>>
>>52242719
>>I have an XP install disc.

Use nLite to slipstream SP3 on it.
>>
>>52242719
Try to boot to safemode with cmd prompt, this will hopefully save you the GUI and you can run windows straight from the command line to run this previous one like I said sfc /scannow
>>
>>52242691
>>52242746

The machine was given with 512MBs of ram, I just upgraded it to 2GBs. The install disc already has SP3. I'm about to try to start up repair to see if I can at least back up the original install.
>>
>>52242790
You may proceed.
>>
>>52242812

Thanks Microsoft tech support Ahmed. Do you need directly control of my PC now?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.