[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do EMP jammers have any pratical uses?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9
File: FLXA9E2I9SMP1CZ.MEDIUM.jpg (50 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
FLXA9E2I9SMP1CZ.MEDIUM.jpg
50 KB, 620x349
I saw a video on Youtube of one of these but I don't see any actual uses for it. Opinions pls
>>
>>52239203
Absolutely no use for them unless you're law enforcement or trying to avoid law enforcement.
>>
>>52239203
>just a prank bro
yes
>>
>>52239203
What's their effective range?
>>
>>52239203
This is the shit that blocks cell phone signals? I swear my uni is full of them.
No reception once you get on campus.
>>
>>52239263
No that's a different kind of jammer.
>>
>>52239258
Depends on the power supply and antenna size. Also, how susceptible the equipment you're trying to jam is. Typically, the smaller and more complex the componentry, the easier to jam.
>>
>>52239217
It would be fun to focus the signal with a parabolic antenna and use it like an EMP gun.
>>
>inb4 b&
>>
What does it jam? Wouldn't the FCC get pissed about you jamming signals?
>>
>>52239203
ITT: federal prisoner candidates
>>
>>52239203
You need insane power levels and enormous capacitors to do anything noteworthy.There are no portable EMP devices. I once saw a military designed device that was the size of a mobile home.
>>
>>52239263
if your university is in the US then someone or some institution is violating some extremely serious federal laws. call the police if you really think someone's using a jammer.

jammers don't just block people from snapchatting each other; they also prevent people from calling the police, ambulance, and fire department in an emergency, and signal jammers generally block emergency personnel from using their own comm tech when they're on the scene. it's the kind of thing that can turn a bad situation like a heart attack into a catastrophe as people panic.

and no, the fact that lots of rooms have landlines in them doesn't mitigate the crime if you're caught using it. the FCC doesn't slap people on the wrist for fucking with this. if you think the punishments people have faced for innocently aiming lasers at the sky have been extreme, wait till you get caught for jamming cell phones.
>>
>>52239263
Is your Uni made of primarily brick, stone, concrete etc? If so, you're retarded.
>>
>>52239203
Bumping
>>
>>52240826
How the hell are they gonna catch you?
>>
>>52239203
Would it be possible to make a practical one for /mischief/?
>>
thats not how 'emp jamming works'

you protect yourself from emp's by properly shielding the electronics
>>
File: 1451529728493.png (1 MB, 1280x962) Image search: [Google]
1451529728493.png
1 MB, 1280x962
>>52240826
Now I'm curious

What can be expected for such a crime? A felony?
>>
>>52243855
Think some dude had a powerful jammer in his car.

He didn't like drivers talking on the phone when driving next to him.

He drove around for two years with it.

He was fined $200,000....
>>
>>52244969
>He drove around for two years with it.

So it's actually really hard for them to get you unless you're a retard that uses an illegal device every day on his route to work/home for two years straight.

You know how they catch serial rapists and murderers? They simply plot the crime locations and create a map of possible address of the perpetrator, since it's most likely he lives/works nearby. Then they check for people with violent crime records that match the area. People don't know how to keep a low profile and by the time they want to get serious it's already too late.
>>
have cellphone jammers in Russia universit
Camera still works
>>
>>52240826
Piss off white knight. I hope you get your cock bit off.

I'd never tell someone to call the police unless it was a rape, a wrongful murder, or legit terrorism.
>>
>>52243801
i would go to the area that they are using the radio jammer and call the police
>>
>>52245077
Way to jump to conclusions.

What does catching rapists have to do with this? Jammers emit a signal. You can triangulate a signal. Simple as that.
>>
>>52243801
A jammer works by sending out garbage at the frequency you want to jam so that it drowns out the signal. A radio signal decreases in strength as distance increases.

Walk around with a receiver measuring the jamming signal strength, do your game of hot and cold to find the jammer.
>>
>>52240826
The "biggest possible fine" that the FCC did against a guy jamming cell phone signals for years was $48,000.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2014/04/30/fcc-seffner-man-caught-jamming-cell-signals-along-i-4/8500979/
>>
>>52247954
>You can triangulate a signal. Simple as that.

Nope, it's almost impossible since you have to be really close otherwise jammer signal is simply masked by base station signals.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 409x513) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 409x513
>what's their use
None unless you're law enforcement
I knew a guy who bought one from china. Had shit range, only caused static to a phone call, and he thought he was the coolest fucker to live. They're useless to citizens.
>>
>>52247627
But how is he going to call the police to report rape, murder or terrorism if someone is jamming cell phone singal?
>>
I don't think anyone on /g/ is educated/old enough to know what an EMP is or does.
>>
>>52248012
Or you can just grab a buddy and TDOA DF the jammer in a second.
>>
>>52247627
Blocking people from calling emergency services is a serious crime. If you're a faggot who only thinks of rape, murder, and "legit terrorism" (whatever the fuck your addled brain thinks that means) as worthy reasons to call the police (and quick tip: the last case would get bumped up to federal law enforcement right away anyway), then you're just a retarded faggot who doesn't understand what the police are there ostensibly to do.
>>
>>52248069
The Communications Act says it can carry a fine of up to $112k and/or up to one year. If someone feels like charging you under the Homeland Security Act (which I would expect, if you were found to be using it in the vicinity of any government buildings), then you may get charged under that.

If you're not a photogenic rich kid like that affluenza teen, you'd probably get cast as a misfit domestic terrorism case like that Sandy Hook kid. The public would readily eat you up and pat themselves on the back after sending you to a prison for a very long time.
>>
>>52239263

I remain pretty certain that the computer labs were surrounded by Faraday cages in my campus. Walking into one was like switching fight mode on
>>
Why don't terrorists use these things during attacks? Jamming 911 calls and police communication would seem to be a massive tactical advantage and create much greater fear.
>>
>>52239263
That's a signal jammer anon, not a emp device, look it up, they're pretty cheap to get, emp is something entirely different.
>>
>>52248845
>implying these niggers would be smart enough to figure it out
>>
>>52239203
>EPM
Nigger, you need a nuclear blast for that or a fucking room full of TeraVolt devices.
You're thinking about signal jammers right?
>>
Okay, to clear things up, EMP and signal jammers are two completely different things, emp sends out a powerful pulse of electromagnetism or whatever, which just makes your shit straight up not work, disables pretty much any device you can think, signal jammers just send out trash signal, and you can beat one by having a more powerful signal.
>>
>>52239263
Rebar in cement can act as a Faraday cage (more effective if connected and grounded, but even without that).

Quick wall is folded sheet metal studs, used in modern construction. Because it's quick and easy. This also acts as a Faraday cage.

College campuses have a very high density of device users, and often a very limited amount of space for commercial cell providers, so the cellular network can easily get saturated. For days when lots of extra people come to campus, they get extra cell towers to help with the extra demand. Pic related.

So you're right. There probably is about service on you're campus, but it's not jammers.
>>
>>52249085
>There probably is shit service
Thanks for censoring me, autocorrect.
>>
>>52248778
>If you're not a photogenic rich kid like that affluenza teen
Not that guy but you didn't actually read the article, did you? The guy was sixty years old. The FCC report is linked in the article. It also states the maximum. Here, let me spoonfeed you so you don't embarrass yourself with more ridiculous claims.
>Due to the nature and extended duration of Mr. Humphreys’ violations, we take an aggressive approach
and propose the per violation statutory maximum of $16,000 for each of the offenses—unauthorized
operation, use of an illegal device, and causing intentional interference.
>>
>>52241749
Every building in Yurop is made of brick and concrete and we have perfect cell reception. Hell, right now I'm in an old building with walls almost 2ft thick.
>>
>>52248711

Aaand you are right, but i think i might know it. ( i work on them like twice a week )
>>
>>52248845

I'm sorry man, but a thing like that cost a ton of money.
Too muck for the isuck islamic faggots
>>
>>52243801
in my country with this, I expect FCC have something similar (or better)
>>
>>52240096

They can't prosecute you, unless you commit a crime with yhe jammer, the air waves are owned by the public in the US
>>
File: cute anime pic 0455.gif (362 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
cute anime pic 0455.gif
362 KB, 500x375
>>52248790
>Walking into one was like switching fight mode on
>like switching fight mode on
>fight
>>
>>52250256
>have most of the oil in the world
>not enough money kek
>>
All that fucking thread
Not a single protype or circut
G is dead go to linuskek, gayming or win10 update or whatever consumsonist crap
>>
>>52243801
dunno but if they catch you youre in quite the jam
>>
>>52243855
Intentional interference is punishable by up to $10000 and 1 year of prison per day you offend.
>>
>>52250320
Yeah. You go ahead and test that iron clad theory. Make sure to broadcast it live for us.
>>
>>52250579
That's what >>>/diy is for
>>
>>52248711
I'm starting to think the same thing. I'm trying to figure out what an EMP jammer is. I know an EMP is supposed to be a large EM signal that induces a destructive voltage to sensitive electronics and causes them stop functioning permanently.

I know a jammer transmits a RF signal that raises the signal to noise ratio of the channel a receiver is using to make it unusable temporarily.

I can't figure out what an EMP jammer is though.
>>
>>52252085
>define:EMP...
>>
>>52247837
Underrated comment.
>>
>>52239203
>Watched a video of an working EMP

How? If it was working or even an elaborate hoax, all of their equipment would have stopped working during the filming.
>>
>>52247954
Do you know what triangulation means? That does not apply to signal jammers (or anything that does not have 3 reference points to track).
>>
File: 1449030731377_pol.jpg (29 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1449030731377_pol.jpg
29 KB, 640x480
>>52251818
>>
>>52239326
That sounds like a mad schientist's kind of thing
>>
>>52252203
>film camera
>camera in faraday cage
>>
File: CWyeaPAWUAAnH9w.jpg_large.jpg (63 KB, 1024x542) Image search: [Google]
CWyeaPAWUAAnH9w.jpg_large.jpg
63 KB, 1024x542
>>52239326
>>
>>52239203
How do you jam an electromagnetic pulse?
>>
>>52254931
Is there a circuit sheet thing? A mad engineer friend of mine wants to know..
>>
>>52252044
this

>>52250320
The FCC would fuck you then put you in a cell so they could fuck your tight ass again later anon.
>>
>>52248845
Shhhhhut the fuck up
>>
If you're referring to a radio jammer then they're illegal or practically illegal in most developed countries.

You need to understand the implications of blocking cell signals. If you use one right you could, for example jam the signal going to a cash in transit van, house alarms are possible to block too. there are thousands of industrial applications for cell transmitters that you can go and fuck with
>>
>>52248845
Not really, you can easily get out of range of a jammer by walking for literally 30 seconds
>>
>>52239203
How do i make a signal jammer?
>>
>>52256022
Walking for 30 seconds at 4mph = 175~ feet. That's a pretty big radius to fuck shit up.
>>
>>52248845
because terrorists typically blow themselves and don't think about anything after that.

>An event last year at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey showed that it only takes one jammer to cause disruption. Airport controllers had installed a new GPS-based landing system, so that aircraft could approach in bad visibility. But it was shutting itself down once or twice a day. It took several months to find the culprit: a driver on the nearby New Jersey Turnpike using a portable GPS jammer to avoid paying the highway toll. This trucker was cruising past twice a day, crippling an airport as he went.

use it often enough/disrupt something important and you will be caught.
How long before every police car also has equipment to track where this jamming signal is coming from ?
>>
>>52239203
There's ecm jammers and emp those are two different things
>>
>>52257014
OP probably calls it like that because cowadoody.
>>
File: thats not how it works.png (77 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
thats not how it works.png
77 KB, 500x500
>>52239203
i bet you often post frogs
>>
I want to launch a high power one into space and paint it with a 4chan clover

I'll call it the "NORMIES GO HOME REEEEE " beacon
>>
>>52243801
>>52250283

FCC has sophisticated tools for tracking down interference and can be surprisingly effective..

I work for a TV station and one of our repeater sites was getting interference on our designated microwave spectrum.

We suspected interference from a nearby site, earlier but the head engineer had ensured they were operating on their own channels.

After spending hours working on this problem we called the FCC and agents were there within an hour with equipment tracking the signals back to the site we expected. A knock on the door and they were ordered to turn off their equipment causing the interference or face fines.

TLDR; kind of cool when the government works in your favor.
>>
>>52257784
Or better yet make one broadcast REEEEE at full blast on all frequencies scanning back and forth randomly so people will be watching or listening to something and they'll get a random REEEEEE.
>>
>>52257574
> COWADOOTY GOTY MAN FUCK OFF,
fuck man well /g/ hasn't gotten any better.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.