[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly is so great about Unix and Unix-like software? /g/'s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: freedos.png (14 KB, 527x87) Image search: [Google]
freedos.png
14 KB, 527x87
What exactly is so great about Unix and Unix-like software? /g/'s obsession with all things Unix is almost cult-like.
>>
It's free
>>
>>52236516
Unix philosophy has nothing to do with software freedom.
>>
>>52236508
They believe in following industry standards so that software is compatible with other software.

Microsoft, Apple only care about maintaining compatibility with software that they wrote and sell.
>>
>>52236508
It's supposed to be very handy for programming. Also UNIX is nothing but a set of rules, a standard. It means that anything UNIX should work about the same, I can imagine this is usefull when working with different operating systems and such.
>>
>>52237714
OSX is Unix.
>>
UNIX is THE standard that OSes are supposed to follow.

I actually like DOS and Windows because its one of the few that isn't a UNIX or UNIX-like. Very unique in that way.
>>
>>52237744
What's your point?
>>
>>52236508
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s05.html
>>
Unix has a culture as well as an API. It's fun to hack on, and it's Free in every sense these days.
>>
The only non UNIX OS in use today is Windows,
>>
>>52238086
and linux
>>
>>52238128
This

GNU is not Unix people
>>
>>52238128
Linux is not UNIX but it's pretty fucking close.
>>
>>52238719
And Linux is not GNU.
Linux roughly follows UNIX guidelines but is not certified as UNIX. However it follows the POSIX specs more closely though it is still not certified as POSIX because it would be too expensive.
OSX has been POSIX certified though.
>>
>>52237776
DOS isn't an OS
>>
>>52239208
It literally means disk operating system.
>>
>>52236508
It's a much more enjoyable experience for me on servers, being a standard for over thirty years is a plus too meaning it will be reasonably well documented.

>>52236516
GNU/Linux maybe, UNIX is far from free.

>>52237714
That's pretty false, Windows is only still around BECAUSE it's compatible with more than just what Microsoft writes for it.
>>
>>52239160
>OSX has been POSIX certified though.
what does this mean and why should one care?
>>
>>52236508
UNIX provides a better developer environment.

Most tools are released for UNIX first and are ported to Windows later or are released for Windows but are a bitch to setup.
>>
>>52236508
It's old so hipsters love it. Objectively it's a turd.
>>
>>52237714
Microsoft doesn't even care about that, actually. That's why different versions of office sometimes display a file in various ways, even if it was made in an older version
>>
>>52239973
What documents? I regularly use excel spreadsheets between '97, 2010 and 2013 without any issues whatsoever.
>>
>>52239254
>GNU/Linux maybe, UNIX is far from free.
The original Unices are "free" under 4 clause BSD and I'm pretty sure 1.0-4.4BSD are also free now that the old Unix source codes have been freed up.

OpenSolaris and its derivatives(illumos) are free under CDDL+MIT/BSD.

The various remaining descendants of the BSD linage are available under 2/3 clause BSD or equivalent.

The only part that isn't "free" is the trademark. associated with the UNIX name.
>>
>>52236508
It's a meme.
>>
File: 1451632385492.jpg (2 MB, 10000x10000) Image search: [Google]
1451632385492.jpg
2 MB, 10000x10000
>>52238719
Daily reminder.

http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/July1999/article79.html
>Dennis Ritchie, one of the original creators of Unix, expressed his opinion that Unix-like systems such as Linux are de facto Unix systems
>>
>>52239298
It means it can emulate proprietary AT&T UNIX shit that no one cares about.
>>
I like UNIX because LISP Machines weren't marketable.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.