[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is Apple able to sell OS X for a profit when it's based
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 640x1136
How is Apple able to sell OS X for a profit when it's based off Linux which is open source/free?

Isn't that illegal?
>>
>it's not based on linux
ignore it and install gentoo
>>
>>52235209
>THEY KNOW
>>
>>52235209
Stop posting this shit, it's horrible bait.
>>
>>52235209
1. Mach + BSD != Linux
2. Learn to BSD License
3. Open source != Free
>>
>>52235209
>based off Linux
wrong, it uses BSD code. BSD license allows commercial use without having to re-supply updated code to the general public.
>>
>>52235807
This. Also PS4 is based off of FreeBSD
>>
>>52235635
This.

But don't ask too much on /consumerism/
>>
>>52235807
>BSD license allows commercial use without having to re-supply updated code to the general public.
Which is exactly why Jobs chose it in the first place and why Apple chose NeXT rather than Be.
>>
>>52235209
In marketing there is a Rule of Thumb that says you never ask a question that you don't already know the answer to. You ask a question to draw the customer's attention to a topic.
>>
expected to sell OS X for a profit
They don't. OS X costs $0.
>>
File: taters.jpg (50 KB, 471x312) Image search: [Google]
taters.jpg
50 KB, 471x312
>>52235209
Apple doesn't sell osx though.
They sell computers that come with osx pre-installed. You can not walk into the Apple Store and purchase a copy of osx, or an osx licence.
>>
>>52235209
Some linux distros cost money.
>>
>>52238265
>You can not walk into the Apple Store and purchase a copy of osx, or an osx licence.

Is this true? You used to be able to purchase a copy of OS X.
>>
>>52241013
OS after Snow Leopard have been primarily released on the mac app store so you need a Mac to buy the OS now.
>>
>>52241056
I've hackintoshed, so I'm aware that you can download it out of the app store, I'm just surprised that you can't buy a copy on physical media from an Apple store...

I suppose if you have no internet connection, you're SOL?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.