[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AMD is building their next GPU using FinFET transistors! Nvidia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1
File: AMD-Polaris-10.jpg (185 KB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
AMD-Polaris-10.jpg
185 KB, 2000x1125
AMD is building their next GPU using FinFET transistors! Nvidia fags on suicide watch.
>>
It is pretty funny, fucking AMD beats Nvidia on a die shrink for once in ten years.

Must be a sad fucking day for team green.
>>
>>52231695

and they beat them to HMB memory. nvidia got too fat and lazy.
>>
>>52231891

What doesnt matter when AMD cant make enough to meet demand. And dont even look at the drivers.
>>
>>52232233
Nvidia drivers have been sucking so badly lately that this gets nullified.
>>
>>52231674
could you please stop this suicide watch meme?

nvidia will just release cards after the launch of polaris...
>>
>>52232233
With the implementation of mantle (which lead to direct x12 pulling directly from mantle code) most upcoming games will be more heavily optimized for amd (not to mention Microsoft will push DirectX 12 more heavily then previous incarnations due to their interest in amd graphics doing better for the xbone)

Amd has been improving drivers significantly over the last few years with crimson being a major boost to their drivers
>>
>>52232537
Pascal will probably be ok for Dx12 tho.
>>
>>52232560
The gains aren't nearly as significant in nvidia architecture.
>>
>>52232537
With this in mind, what will your excuse be when AMD's next generation falls short again?
>>
>>52232585
Microsoft won't let it

Also in what way did fury x fall short?
>>
>>52232595
>Early samples pump whine
>Performed worse than a 980ti at anything else than 4k
>4gb of vram
>Little to no overclocking headroom

Got a little better with driver updates and voltage unlocked but the regular Fury remains the one decent product that came out on their side.
>>
So how will they blunder it?
>>
>>52232595
It fell short initially as an overclocked 980-ti handily beat an overclocked Fury-X. Fiji drivers having improved and voltage having been unlocked, it's a lot closer now.
>>
>>52232585
300 series wasn't a failure
>>
>AMD is doing X!
>AMD is doing Y!
>Nvidia is finished!

But Nvidia and intel are still shitting all over AMD.
Face it - AMD is fucking dead.
>>
>>52232647
>It fell short initially as an overclocked 980-ti handily beat an overclocked Fury-X
>past tense
An overclocked 980 Ti will still rape the Fury X because Fiji just will not overclock as well as Maxwell. A gimped overclocked GM200 will absolutely demolish a full Fiji all the way to 4K
>>
>>52232648
No, the 200 series wasn't a failure.
The 300 series was.
>>
>>52232718
???
>>
>>52231695
nvidia hasn't beat AMD in anything except shilling and gimping
>>
>>52232829
That's not quite right, in 2015 Nvidia beat AMD at the $650 price point of graphics cards for playing DX11 titles if and only if it is assumed the end-user overclocks.

It's a narrow set of criteria, but it's the one a lot of video game people are interested in.

At any other price-point, AMD wins: Fury>980, 390>970, ect.
>>
3d trans
i remember how great they were for intel
less than 10% difference
>>
>>52233218
they boosted intel's profits by like 80%
>>
AMD should be baking more marketing on the transistor increase (8B -> 15B+) than just the FinFET leakage fixes.
>>
If AMD could cut the power usage of their cards, they would be pretty perfect, but when choosing between nVidia vs AMD + a new PSU, a single card wins most of the time
To think of though, I do need a new PSU, non-modulars are cancer
>>
>>52233350
I want a modular one too but heard some shit things about them like differences in working, having to buy extra cables etc. Not done a lot of research but I don't like touching a running system.
>>
>>52234586
what do you mean don't like touching a running system ? Like don't fix it if it ain't broke kind of thing ? Could agree with that, but again, if you want to go AMD after years of nVidia, chances are you will need to upgrayde the PSU
I've touched a semi-modular PSU once, they have most needed cables from the box, but if it so happens that you would need an extra cable, which wouldn't be on a normal PSU either way, you have an option to buy one and plug it into the PSU, instead of buying molex(molax?) adapter, though you can do that too
Don't see the reason to go full modular though, semi modular is fine
>>
>>52232621
I agree. I pay for $800 gpus to play at 1080P. 4k performance isn't important when any $150 card can max out games at 1080P.

Fucking retarded ass nvidia logic.
>>
>>52234795
but $150 cards can't max out games that nvidia artificially gimp with gimpworks
>>
>>52234703
I was lucky my psu survived the upgrade from a 560ti to a 380 4gb. I might hav another look soon, the spare wires do piss me off.
>>
>>52233218
CPU and GPU architechitures are nothing alike, GPUs scale very linearly with nearly any kind improvement, if you stuff 2x as many transistors in, it'll be nearly twice as fast.

It's quite simple, AMD will have the option of having an upper hand either in lower power requirements or matching Nvidia at power draw but pushing performance. Even if Polaris ends up being slower per-core than Pascal, AMD still have a lot of legroom to match Nvidia's offerings.
>>
>>52232537
Hey man, I have a 390 and the crimson drivers are a piece of shit. Fuck off with that AMD dropped the ball with those.
>>
>>52235006
I've personally not noticed a difference but the software itself is neat, wish I saw more real world differences though.
>>
>>52234964
I'm not even going to take the time to explain to you why that's fucking stupid.
>>
>>52235048
The whole amd software is cringe worthy
First time I had to deal with AMD gpu was setting up my fathers laptop with AMD dGPU, even though nVidia experience is shit, it's times better than that gaymy shit AMD puts out
>>
>>52235006

Hey man, I have a Titan Z and the nvidia drivers are a piece of shit. Fuck off with that NVIDIA dropped the ball with those.
>>
>>52235055
Oh please do.
Do explain to us how GPUs don't have an almost linear gain from increasing the shaders and adjacent performance logic.
I'm sure it'll be interesting.
>>
>>52235133
you are retarded then
>>
>>52235133
Gaymy shit? You mean the gaming evolved shit? Just don't install it.
>>
It's still GCN which is what 6 years old?
so it will be like the fury (x) except with a die shrink which will improve the power consumption a lot.
>>
>>52235184
10/10 rebuttal, faggot
>>
>>52235417
Its not s rebuttal, its a simple conclusion based on how dumb a person would have to be to end up like you.
>>
>>52234964
I, for one, welcome the three slot stock coolers.
>>
>>52231674
>>52231674
>using technology from 1990s

Amd tier
>>
>>52232459
They did until Crimson came along and AMD took their crown of shit back.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.