[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mobile Computing advice.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1451672476459.jpg (299 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1451672476459.jpg
299 KB, 720x720
I've got a desk top pc which I use for everything major, but recently I've been thinking of getting a cheap laptop. Just something to do word processing, search the internet, watch videos and simple shit like that while I'm out and around or when I want to sit somewhere other than in my little desktop corner.

However, I have VERY limited knowledge of mobile electronics these days so I'm not sure what kind of stuff I should look for. I want it to be able to play video at high definitions and search the internet without lagging the fuck out, but I don't need or want to be able to play games on it or anything. One of those dis-connectable or rotatable tablet things seem neat, but I don't want to end up paying out the ass for that feature. I'd prefer to avoid windows 10 and it's orwellian monitoring of my every move, but I'm not sure I can do that without pirating an older version of windows and uninstalling the current one, since everything is running 10 these days.

I'm not gonna ask you to go do the searching for me, but I was hoping you could give me some tips as to what I should look out for? I built a Desktop via /g/ and the help of some specific sites tailored to the subject, but I can't find any similar help for this. Info seems scarce and badly tainted in many cases.
>>
Order a ThinkPad directly from Lenovo. This way, you can select a downgrade license to Windows 7 when customizing your device. This should be available for most models, and pretty much all business laptops.

In the future, consider posting simple questions in threads like this: >>52230028
>>
File: 1451749874237.gif (714 KB, 300x500) Image search: [Google]
1451749874237.gif
714 KB, 300x500
>>52232151
>ThinkPad
Heh, I actually ended up getting the Lenovo - IdeaPad 100s. I guess I wasn't too far off.
>>
>>52232787
Do not get a an idea pad. Get a business model. X220 and T420 are the staples. Idea pads have terrible build quality
>>
>>52233173
>T420
Really? Alright. Hows this one look?
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-2-5ghz-Professional/dp/B00XHXKFY8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451936175&sr=8-2&keywords=lenovo++T420
>>
>>52233312
Yes but make sure the bios isn't locked and it comes a hard drive. I would also recommend getting a SSD for this
>>
>>52233367
For the sake of faster loading, right?
>>
Are you guys all retarded? Buy a Chromebook. Anything more powerful, for what you're looking for, is a waste of money.
>>
>>52233524
>Chromebook
But chromebooks can't run shit. And they're just as expensive as this: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-Laptop-2-6GHZ-Windows/dp/B00PHYQUD0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451937151&sr=8-3&keywords=lenovo++T420

Which is the one I'm looking at. My wife has a chromebook and that thing can't run a fucking thing.
>>
>>52232787
Good job, I got scared now because of the gif
>>
>>52233608
you never said it needs to run shit
>>
I bought myself an Asus X205TA for $199 and I use it like crazy. The battery can hold for like 12 hours it's insane. I usually ssh to my home server and work as if I'm home.
>>
>>52235538
By run shit I mean run programs, Chrome has low compatibility with a lot of things.
>>
>>52230873
installar gentooinho
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.