[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Possibly a common question here. Computer science or software
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: 1434145116875.jpg (95 KB, 493x929) Image search: [Google]
1434145116875.jpg
95 KB, 493x929
Possibly a common question here. Computer science or software engineering, which one should I go into?
>>
What do you want to do professionally?
>>
>>52229657
Study feminist theory, you fucking faggot.
>>
You might start in a slightly different way but you can definitely end up doing the same thing.
>>
Every time this thread comes up several camps of zealots come out of the woodwork insisting to do CS or SE or Math or to kill yourself or to install gentoo.

Look a the curricula for both majors and study whichever one you're more interested in. If you're concerned about criterion A or B or C then go find the answers to those questions.

I was looking at CS and Informatics and wasn't sure if Informatics would be rigorous enough to get into grad school later, so I found someone whose career seemed pretty awesome (some researcher at Twitter at the time) and I emailed him to ask what his thoughts were. He answered within a day or two and we had a good chat about career/education stuff.

Go do that. Figure out what your question really is ("should I do A or B?" isn't the real question) and answer it.
>>
>>52229666
Game development or something like that would be good, though I have no clue what the chances of that happening are. Don't really know. Make fat stacks hopefully
>>
>>52229712
Not a good attitude breh. You need to think about a problem you can feel good about working to solve every day. Money will follow passion.
>>
>One is a higher-level theoretical, math heavy program
>One is a specialized, application of CS, wherein you learn how to create software with tested methodologies

CS is more general
SE is more specific

pick one
>>
>>52229704
Thanks for the reply. Some good advice there
>>
>>52229742
I've been trying to find my passion for a long time. It's just not there
>>
>>52229681
That was my original plan but the uni I'm going to doesn't offer it
>>
>>52229712
Do some soul searching, this is your future, I don't know why you would be so uncertain that you'd led some random people on an anonymous Cambodian Muppet image board decide for you.

I studied CS, but during my time at uni I also was the president of the largest engineering org on campus, I made it to the finals of a national game development competition, and I worked a student worker position as tech support as well as an internship where I got paid to make a simple 2d educational math game.

I graduated 3 years ago, started at 100k/yr and now with promos make just shy of 150. I know friends from my CS program who didn't do anything outside of classwork and most are still unemployed.

My point is, what you study in uni doesn't matter. In fact most of what you learn will be mostly out of date by the time you graduate because software changes so fast. What's important is what you do in addition to your degree program, that's what companies care about.
>>
>>52229812
Thanks man, I'll keep attempting to figure out what I'm wanting to do. Wish I were one of those people who just seem to know.
>>
>>52229657
>CS
Geared towards academia, theory, and research, very popular.

>Software Engineering
Geared towards process, architecture, and management applied to software concepts. Not as mainstream as CS.

>Systems Engineering
Similar to Software Engineering, but with focus on applying software engineering process to physical applications.

Either one you pic unless you're above average at what you're doing you'll end up as a code monkey.
>>
>>52229657
if you're going to school for tech its a waste of time unless you want to be an EE
>>
>>52229988
EE and SE a good pair? I'm halfway through my EE degree and I'm still deciding what to do after.

also
>digits checked
>>
>>52229657
>mfw this picture describes me fully
>>
>>52231167

Yep, provided you want to work in programming / hardware.

Your credentials is what the bulk of the guys in hardware at places like BlackBerry have, I imagine it'll be the same at any type of device manufacturer.
>>
Computer Science will teach you algorithms and math, you'll learn how to solve problems, in a generic way. You'll still be programming on a computer though. If it's a good course at least, else it'll be more or less the same as Computer Engineering.

Computer Engineering is about following standards and patterns for known problems, it's about how you plan and design your software and then proceed to develop it. It'll make you better at team work and project management, compared to Comp Sci.

Now I can only be 100% sure about Comp Eng, because that's what I'm doing, but we pretty much cover every aspect of software design, from basic babby's first programming, to assembly (so you'll learn how and why shit works) and C. You'll go all over the place, from C++ and Java to databases, networking, a bit of Linux servers maybe, design diagrams, team projects, even a bit of AI in the form of logical programming, and Graphics stuff (pretty much game design).

Then again, every school is different, so you should probably look up what each one offers.
>>
>>52229988

... Only if you never want to have a management or promotable position.

Guys with no formal education but a deep skill set end up doing more or less the Dane thing, only they end up doing it as the 40 year old "Senior Lead Technical Development Coordinator" because they can't get formally promoted, they can just get a title bump and raise / bonus.

Tech without formal education is a good way to get glass ceilinged. Only way to break it is to start up hop.
>>
>>52232081
>Computer Engineering is about following standards and patterns for known problems, it's about how you plan and design your software and then proceed to develop it. It'll make you better at team work and project management, compared to Comp Sci.
That's what SE is not CE.
>>
>>52232129
I guess I should've explained it better

CE solves business problems

CS solves math problems
>>
I'm halfway though a CE degree. I happily do programming projects on the side and have done a few internships but I'm not part of any organizations. Should I join one?
>>
>>52229657
become a hooker. deal meth on the side.
>>
>>52232211
>CE solves business problems
That's what SE is.
>>
>>52229899
A lot of people 'seem to know'. But in reality most of those people are just as clueless as you are.
>>
>>52232339
I guess they're the same course then
>>
>>52229812
So I don't need university to work at google or be a hackzor?
>>
>>52232420
>420
digits checked :^)
>>
>>52232596
thanks for pointing,I wouldn't see it otherwise,its time to roll one
>>
If money is what you're after, then a coding camp or SE is probably what you want, it's usually more focused on application
If you're after game making, you should also have a minor or some focus in art as well and make some games by yourself while you're in school to show to employers

CS is overall a theory based degree
I'm getting one, and we barely write code, when we do its to show certain structures or algorithms
About 80% of CS I'd say is theory about algorithms, models of computing, and logic

So if you're really just after money and a job in game dev, then go cs with some art thrown in, make your own unity and ue games, and be aware that millions of people have the same idea as you and you'll have to compete against them every step of the way
>>
>>52229657
Go to art school
>>
>>52232420

See >>52232117 for the answer to that.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.