[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need a way to search the web that gives me independent results
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: abracadabra.gif (1006 KB, 300x254) Image search: [Google]
abracadabra.gif
1006 KB, 300x254
I need a way to search the web that gives me independent results

I'm sick to death of only being able to find sponsored content on google, and services that piggyback off google's results fare no better

it used to be so simple, but now there are hundreds of tricks advertisers use to bolster their pages, and dozens of ways google makes your life unhelpful
>>
Google has a relatively transparent sponsored results section. If you're paying any attention at all, you can see which results are directly sponsored and which are not. They're usually at the top.

If you're asking for a search engine that doesn't respond to search engine optimization, then you're surprisingly fluent in the vocabulary of this stuff given how naive and frankly stupid you are.
>>
>>52224838
yes, I'm looking for a stripped down search engine

googles sponsorship goes much deeper than it advertises
I already block adds, and I block sponsored content as well with a custom web filter

but there is often content that google conveniently forgets to index with it's spiders, and many, many pages that are sponsored without this being advertised

for instance, popular pages are boosted; which means if I type "fecebook" I find "facebook.com"

but it enrages me that this means if I actually want to find something called "fecebook" the sear engines functionality quickly breaks down

even if I type "fecebook -facebook" I find my desired page buried by poorly indexed, mistypes or irelevant content

and that's when I know exactly what I'm looking for, lord help me if I actually want to search for something
>>
Use DuckDuckGo
>>
>>52225641
https://duckduckgo.com/about
>>
>>52225641
>>52225667
like I said in the OP, duck duck go suffers from relying on google for primary results

most of what is excluded from google is therefore also missing from duckduckgo.
I did use it for a while, in the end I found ixquick is better
both perform reasonably to stop google targeting you as a user, however neither is adequate in searching

I also need a deepnet search engine, TOR works well for the darknet but won't search and index content on demand
>>
>>52224901
Git gud at using google.
>>
>>52225759
tell me anon, how does one "git gud"

google is a very powerful tool, but it's far harder to use it than it used to be because it's all automatic now, you have to manually un-set all googles tweaks
>>
>>52224901
just use bing, it shitty enough that next to nobody sponsors it and you can get fecesfook if you want to
>>
>>52224901
>which means if I type "fecebook" I find "facebook.com"
uh, no, it means google thought you misspelled facebook
>>
i like searx.me best, you can use different search engines with it and it's open sores.
>>
>>52224774
>uses mootumblr
>isnt aware of duck duck go
The fuck you doing stupid house nigger ?
>>
>>52225743
Isn't the idea of the deep web to not being able to be found through search engines?
>>
qwant bitch
>>
>>52225956
searx.me with qwant, startpage/ixquick, swisscows and wikipedia as sources is great.
>>
i used to think like you, OP

turns out all the useful websites are actually dead. gone. taken offline.

the fact that you only see ads anymore is because there are only ads left on the internet. the internet shrank when people realized it's not profitable to share useful information, and that hosting costs money.
>>
>>52225904
some of the deep web is stuff that is hiden, most is just stuff that nobody has cataloged yet or is broken
>>
>>52224901
>fecesbook
>>
I'm so happy that google finally started shitting the bed so hard that alternative search engines are popping up again

there used to be so many before the dark ages of monopoly like google dominance

anybody remember fireball?
>>
>>52226553
>remember fireball?
no
>bump
>>
searx.me

>Searx is a metasearch engine, aggregating the results of other search engines while not storing information about its users.
>It provides basic privacy by mixing your queries with searches on other platforms without storing search data. Queries are made using a POST request on every browser. Therefore they show up in neither our logs, nor your url history.
>>
File: 160104-12.16.34.png (102 KB, 455x896) Image search: [Google]
160104-12.16.34.png
102 KB, 455x896
>>52224774
>>52224901
Not having this problem, see pic related.

Your problem, I expect, though, is something google's been doing for quite a while now, but has started to get extremely aggressive with.

Simply put, instead of searching for your search term alone as it was typed, it searches for what it thinks your search term is, along with related abbreviations and synonyms.

It also occasionally interprets your search as a misspelling and searches for it WITHOUT notifying you.

Shit's annoying but you can beat it with enough doublequotes and minuses.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.