[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do you guys have a piezo speaker inside your tower? What do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1451871866380.jpg (30 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1451871866380.jpg
30 KB, 720x480
do you guys have a piezo speaker inside your tower? What do you like to use it for?
>>
i dunno beeps and stuff
>>
>>52222795
>do you guys have a piezo speaker inside your tower?
Yes.

>What do you like to use it for?
It beeps at me when I turn my computer on.
The fuck kinda question is this?
>>
>>52222795
printing the bell char?
>>
>>52222795
If it vibrates just right it can remotely stimulate your prostate
>>
My mainbaord has one. It also has AMIBIOS which beeps once every boot
>>
>>52223351
>PC
>Amiibo support
You wish, faggot.
>>
I hate beeps, so I didn't connect mine. If I ever encounter issues where my PC fails to POST then I might dig it out of my drawer and connect it.
>>
Years ago when I took a windows programming class I wrote a program that would constantly make random beeps with this:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms679277(v=vs.85).aspx

Also, it would draw a bunch of pictures of Ainsley directly onto the screen's surface with BitBlt. I made them move around like pong balls. They would cover the 80% of the screen in a few seconds so unless you were constantly moving windows around it would become very difficult to use your computer.

Then I found a pair of API calls that would open and close the cd drive, so I had those run on a loop.

Finally, I made sure that the process's name was randomized so that it would be hard to find in the process explorer.

I never tried to trick someone into running the program. Some day I'll dig it up and try that. It has kind of lost its annoying effect because everyone has laptops these days so the cd drive part doesn't work as well, and piezo speakers aren't as common.
>>
I'm used to a computer beeping upon powering-on, so NOT having a PC speaker is a strange and foreign concept for me

That shit used to be my sound card before we got a proper Speach Thing, it was tinny and annoying, but at least gave my 8 year-old self the audio immersion I expected from ancient DOS games
>>
>>52223519
How come no one has hacked the IR reader yet

It should be so simple
>>
>>52223842
could it generate sound at different frequencies?
>>
>>52224017
This is as advanced as the PC speaker got when it came to being used in a viable gaming computer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IOL4q5tDDQ
>>
>>52224054
what type of piezo is that?
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (11 KB, 300x234) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
11 KB, 300x234
>>52224080
It wasn't, it used to be standard mono loudspeaker, you technically COULD use a piezo too, but it'd sound like shit. The shift to the onboard piezo we're familiar with happened around the time SB Pro-based sound cards started to be a standard onboard feature, as no one was using a PC speaker once the SB16 flooded the market with a fuckton of budget-oriented variants, so maybe 1996-ish
>>
My motherboard has one. It worked intermittently for a few weeks in the beginning then died. Didnt seems like a worthy cause for an RMA
>>
>>52223965
NFC.
There was an effort to crack the Skylanders NFC chips a while back that got shut down by legal notice.
An effort towards Amiibos would likely end up the same way.
>>
>>52224054
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11yewfkUSQM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIyPGvRatUs
>>
>>52225169
No, I mean IR reader.

The amiibos are openly readable, far less locked down than the skylanders or even the Disney figures. But editing them seems to be more difficult. Nintendo did make an IR reader to use amiibos with the first 3DS, and presumably, it would be a lot easier to read traffic between the 3ds and the reader and spoof it later.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.