[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did I do a Bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Wallpaper Rage 2.png (32 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
Wallpaper Rage 2.png
32 KB, 600x700
Hey /g/. I think I may have messed up, bad.
I was working to install new RAM and CPU cooling system to my rig- and as I was trying to pull off the old CPU heatsink and fan, I pulled it out- with the CPU still on it...
I had finally wedged something between the HS and CPU and separated them, but i noticed a few of the pins were still in the socket. So I put the CPU back in and put the new HS and fan and everything seemed to work fine. Then it bluescreened. Could it be the RAM? Could it be because I'm a complete retard for not realizing thermal grease is like glue and accidentally pulled out the CPU? I'm not 100% sure.
>>
Computer hardware isn't really my thing, but if you broke some pins off, that's pretty fucking bad and I'm surprised it even POST'd.

Also,

> thermal grease is like glue

Really? So his to fuck are you supposed to gently remove the heatsink?

I've never used it myself...
>>
>>52220919
That's what I was wondering. By what I read, some thermal grease contains some stuff that sticks REALLY well to the CPU, so I had no idea and just went for it. Bad mistake
>>
Check the cpu itself, post a pic of the pin side.
Also did you clean the old thermal paste?
And wtf, never had a cpu cooler come out WITH the cup "glued" to it..
>>
>>52220605

This is why every time I replace thermal paste I run prime95 for 15 minutes before I dismantle my heatsink/cooler. Never do it 'cold'.
>>
>>52220981
I dont have a pic right now, but it's just one or two pins spread across the cpu, and as for the thermal paste, that stuff just came off with the HS.
Sorry for my not being knowledgeable, but what's the cup?
>>
>>52221236
Haha misstype, meant to type "cpu".
Anyways does the computer work ?
>>
>>52221277
I'm typing on it right now with several tabs open and keeping 40 degreesC so yeah, It was just a bit of a nasty surprise. I also haven't played a game to test the new cooler yet either
>>
>>52221420

Don't leave your computer on while you are afk. It might burn your house down.
>>
>>52221420
So it's all good, you didn't fuck the pins trust me.
Next time take his >>52221205
Advice
>>
>>52221473
Oh no I'm not afk. I am doing other stuff too
>>
>>52221486
I'm just concerned by the fact that some had actually come off and got stuck in the socket
>>
>>52221510
If that were the case then you wouldn't be using your pc now.
>>
>>52221548
Well that's what happened, so I'm just as surprised as you
>>
I forgot there were still processors with pins on them.
>>
>>52222016
Yeah I'm using AMD, Intel use the opposite
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.