[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright boys, who here has an A+ cert? Did you land a job with it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 7
File: index.png (4 KB, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
index.png
4 KB, 290x174
Alright boys, who here has an A+ cert? Did you land a job with it?
>>
>>52220468
i had one that lapsed. i dont plan on renewing it.

did me shit all good. t.5 years of field experience
>>
>>52220572
Did it land you a job?
>>
File: 1451325912870.gif (3 MB, 400x220) Image search: [Google]
1451325912870.gif
3 MB, 400x220
>>52220468
>nigger, my twitter is behind 7 subreddits
>>
>>52220468
Bumping for similar interest.
>>
>>52221059
don't waste your time, get a ccna and get paid 30% more for doing something more fulfilling than reformatting gateway laptops
>>
>>52221079
What if I get A+ and then Network and Security+?
>>
>>52221143
A+ is $300. Net+ is like 245? CCNA is $295. I worked retail for four years, thats what you'll do with an A+. Now I do 4x in salary with an NA.
>>
>>52221164
Which track do you recommend?
>>
>>52221164

A+ is $400 for both!

Net+ is $285.

Damn son!
>>
got my a+ and I make more than 30/Hr at my job. on a good month of overtime I make average 7k a month

but where I work they care more about experience than they do that piece of paper. either way it got me into the door.
>>
>>52221079
>only 30% more
Are you retarded?
>>52221143
No, you should get you CCNA and Security+
N+ is baby CCNA. No where near as in depth.
>>52221164
Pretty much this, A+ really means fuck all.
>>52221456
30/hr
Where the fuck do you live? I work for an small town ISP and the only our Sys Admin and Development team is making that much.
>>
i have an A+ and make $55/hr working on Juniper devices.
>>
>>52220468
I got my A+ and Network+ certifications in 2007. So far they helped me learn that those jobs belong to Pahjeet.
>>
>>52221525
So which CCNA track should I go with?
>>
>>52220468
It means nothing, so no, I got proper certs and a real job. You only need A+ if you want to work at best buy or just be some low level repair guy in a basement
>>
I had one but it lapsed. Don't really plan on renewing it. I have Server+ a few years ago for work. A+ didn't help me land a job and my current job paid for me to get Server+ so they apparently saw some value in it.
>>
>>52221525
I'm not retarded, but I don't want to over promise that a CCNA is a promise of an amazing salary. YMMV. I pull in 160k by some cosmic fluke. I have friends who do 55k.
>>
>>52221871
R&S is always the answer if you have to ask. The other tracks will have that as kind of a implicit pre req
>>
File: 1451747308480.png (901 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1451747308480.png
901 KB, 690x460
>>52221871
Routing and switching. Thats the most widely applicable. Afterwards look into others but thats usually the one taught in most universities.
>>
>>52221889
Best Buy won't hire you if you're certified, that means they would have to pay you more.
>>
>>52221456
What exactly is your job title
>>
>>52222030

why would i want to do university tier work on my own?
>>
>>52222000
>I have friends who do 55k
still ain't awful for an entry level cert
>>
File: 1441248855915.jpg (107 KB, 332x508) Image search: [Google]
1441248855915.jpg
107 KB, 332x508
>>52223069

Not gonna make it.
>>
Bump bros
After i get my A+
How do i find jobs, do i just apply with it on my resume, or am I on a database and employers come to me?
>>
>>52222000
>I have friends who do 55k.

That's still good. Most people don't even make 40k, let alone 55k.
>>
>>52223507
You put it on your resume and apply for jobs.
>>
>>52223507
>employers come to me
hahahahahaha
>>
>>52220468
I had an A+ and it got me a job at the NMCI (Navy's contractor tech support) where they funded and provided training to get Security+ cert.

With both of those certs I got a tech support job, then after a couple years exp moved into Exchange admin. So yeah, it did me some good.
>>
>>52223527
I don't have any related IT experience, I only worked at warehouses.
>>
>>52223570
Tech Support/Help Desk
>>
>>52223552
what's with the laughing? You don't have employers coming to you, anon?

I get messages on linkedin at least once a week of job offers. You just have to have the right key words that recruiters are searching for any particular job in your area.
>>
>>52220468
lmao shut the fuck up moron
>>
>>52223594
THIS is why i asked
on career builder it tells you how many empoyers looked for that skill and who looked at your resume
>>
>>52223594
recruiters aren't employers. you are just cattle.

>linkedin
botnet
>>
>>52223622
Dont you think thats the one botnet you want to be apart of?
>>
>>52223622
Botnet or not, it's what employers want nowadays. If you want to have more chances to succeed, use it.
>>
Working on getting both CCNA and A+, bump for similar interest
>>
>>52223691
my nigga
OP here
I hate coding, so I opted getting and IS degree over CS. Who here went the IS route with networking certs?
>>
This A+ stuff looks simple. How long does it take to learn everything?

http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/free-a-plus/

The 802 part looks like shit any /g/entoomen would know.
>>
>>52223759
If you have lots of spare time, two weeks.

If not, a month at most.
>>
>>52223759
You think software is easier then hardware?
>>
CCNA with some programming experience. Already have prepared for CCNA Security and A+, just need to take the exams.

Planning to take my CCNP, RHEL, and some MS certs this year and next.
>>
I do, and I have
>>
Got my A+ while in college for AAS network admin. That got me a
>geek squad
Job, i worked there for 2 years and bullshitted my way into a back end tech support position for security systems.
Now that i have a livable salary, planning on getting sec+ and then CCNA as im learning python.

From there, i might get my bachelors. I dont know.
Id really like to be a network admin at school or hospital, and make ~60k/yr in chicago suburbs.
>>
File: happy pepe.jpg (70 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
happy pepe.jpg
70 KB, 400x388
>>52220468
any /g/entoomen work for Geekatoo?

I've always wanted to work for 18 hours a day and helping the tech illiterate is a big passion of mine
>>
>>52224033
was there an opening for geek squad? or did you just apply?
>>
I have one

It got me my first job. I was helldesk/bitch for 2 years, then my boss moved and I got promoted to director of tech

Stayed for 3 years, now am the dir of tech for a department of 2k at a university.

Google is your friend
>>
>>52224166
Ya they post the openings on the web site portal
>>
During highschool I took A+ and Net+ classes and got both of those for free through school. After I graduated I took my CCENP, then my CCNA. I'm now 18 and working a 48k a year job as a Computer and Network Technician in an IT Outfit. So yes, my certs did get me a nice job.
>>
>>52224342
you're living my dream anon
>>
>>52224377
I have absolutely no idea how I pulled this shit outta my hat
>>
>>52224342
how hard was the CCNA?What books or resources did you use?
>>
Question about cisco certs.Would it be smarter to do security or routing and switching?
>>
>>52224432
I used these online courses to study for the CCNA
https://www.cybrary.it/course/cisco-ccna/
Then I just bought the Study Guide for the CCNA and it came with free practice exam software, so I just study the hell outta that. Took me about a month and a half to go through all of it (at the time I was working full time and had a gf so I couldn't binge study).
And to answer the difficulty question: it was like a 6.5/10, 10 being most difficult. But to be honest, the Net+ is basically half of the CCNA so if you took that, it makes it a hell of a lot easier.
Also, if you plan on taking the CCNA, LEARN YOUR ROUTER AND SWITCH PROGRAMMING. That roughly 35% of the test.
Hope I was a help, cheers
>>
>>52224342

good to see you doing good at the start, but a damn you're paid so shit with those certs, maybe in a few years you could pull 75/100 an hour with them plus the experience.

don't waste your time in college.
>>
>>52223567

when I was in the Marines I always enjoyed talking with you guys when I needed something done with my computer.

seriously, fuck talking to other Marines about computer problems.
>>
>>52224660
College in America is a fucking joke.
*hurt durr you need to go to college so that when you get out you can have a piece of paper that said you wasted you time and live with crippling debt forever.*
No thanks :^)
But anywho, thanks anon
>>
>>52224523
do you think braindumps are worth studying for?
>>
>>52224166
dude, don't work for geek squad.
>>52224033
I'm assuming you didn't finish?
>>
>>52224785
why not? i have NO technical experience besides a couple courses in college, and cant get into an entry level job anywhere. At least it will help me fluff up my resume for 'technical experience"
>>
>>52224814
Do you have any job experience at all? I guess if you've never had a job thats not a bad one.

Still I would look for local ISPs first, local computer shops, really anything local will be a better working enviornment. Trust me from experience. Corporate places also tend to give you less intellectual freedom. I worked one place that gave me an 'approved' troubleshooting list going outside of that resulted in firing and I had graders who would judge my performance.
>>
>>52224980
i've only had one job dominos "pizz" so really not tech experience at all. I applied to like 3 different "entry" level internships and got them all turned down. All of the local isps are basically call center that want full time employees, but since i'm in school i can't get a full time job. Because of the fucked up schedule i have and etc..

also any job sites for tech jobs?
>>
>>52224766

No.

If you can't pass the CCNA without dumping you're not going to have a bright future.

Questions in the CCNA test are straight forward and are actually from the textbook, unlike the CCNP and CCIE exams.
>>
>>52225072
the certified book from cisco?
>>
>>52225084

I used Todd Lammlel's book and I watched CBT nuggets.

Covered everything I needed to know for the test.

The Cisco Foundations book for the CCNP doesn't cover shit.
>>
>>52225084

Wait, to clarify I mean the questions on the exam are topics that are covered in just about every CCNA text book.

The test didn't copy/paste the practice questions
>>
>>52225110
how prevalent are frame-relay and ipv6?
>>
>>52220468
Had one, never got employed because of it. Best it did was get me out of a class in university. It expired a year ago and I don't plan on trying to renew it.
>>
>>52225314
how did you get a class out ?
>>
>>52220468
No, not really. Get an internship somewhere and play the career game from there. You'll end up with a better job with higher pay and won't need to spend a ton on that bullshit cert. Experience is all that really matters.
>>
>>52225470
There are no internships available where I live. How the fuck does that help me?
>>
>>52225136

If you write the CCNA test in two parts you can avoid IPV6 entirely

Frame relay is tested heavily, which is dumb because nobody uses it IRL anymore. I remember the simulation portion of the exam had frame relay in it

Spanning tree and frame relay were probably the most tested topics on ICND2
>>
>>52225951
would you recommend taking it in 2 parts or taking the entire thing by itself?
>>
A+ cert? Thats for Excel and Outlook, right?
>>
>thought about taking A+
>not sure if I want to spend the money for it
>no idea what I want to do, what direction I want to to in, etc.
I've always been interested in tech, and a career in it would probably make sense, but I have no idea where to go with it. I'm sick of fast food.
>>
>>52225951

What? There's no FR lab...
>>
>>52224342
Rich?
>>
>>52226458
>mfw I got a free pdf version of Network+ from my intership.
>mfw when reading all this.
>>
It looks nice on my wall framed next to my sec+ mcsa and associates degree
>>
I don't have any certs or a CS degree but I've landed management positions in IT at the last two jobs I've had by knowing just enough to get by, by having great Google-fu, and most importantly having way better interpersonal skills than 95% of everyone else in the IT field.

That said, I'd love to get some certs to legitimize what I do. I studied A+ but that shit's dumb, why do I need to memorize every processor ever? If that ever came up I would just google the information.

What are some less autistic but still useful certs? I manage our firm's important client SQL database, is there a good cert for that?
>>
>2016
>Having certifications which require a multiple choice exam (i.e. braindump)

RHCE master race
>>
>>52224523
>ROUTER AND SWITCH PROGRAMMING

Configuring network gear via CLI is not programming, lol.
>>
>>52230261
What if i write a script to do it for me
>>
>>52230230
I want to get the RHCSA and RHCE within the next two years.

There are several places here in Atlanta that are looking for people with that cert. Doesn't look like too many people have it either.
>>
>>52223622
>against linkedin use
found the unemployed/retail
>>
File: 1284718779430.jpg (96 KB, 627x474) Image search: [Google]
1284718779430.jpg
96 KB, 627x474
>should be studying for network+ and security+
>here I am, wasting my time on 4chan
>>
>>52230808
I had to disable my LinkedIn because it's just a bunch of IT contractors using it to cold call me about their services
>>
im looking to go down the cisco cert road. What cert is more in demand, security or routing and switching?
>>
>>52225456
I talked to a lot of people in the department, other university offices were not nearly as helpful.
>>
Will I be able to pass any of these if I have an English Literature degree and know how to install gentoo and know java and C?

Plz respond
>>
>>52233098
I make 34k managing at a video store and pull in 14k teaching guitar/piano/singing privately, fwiw

Will it be worthwhile to bump myself up?
>>
>>52226089

If you're confident I'd take the entire thing in 1 test just to get it over with

I only wrote it in two parts because I had a voucher for part 1

>>52226793

Yeah there was. There was no configuration, they just wanted you to run a bunch of show commands and answer multiple choice questions
>>
>>52233098

You basically need an English degree to interpret the retarded questions they ask on cert exams.
>>
>>52220468
This is such fucking bullshit, everyone that got this before 2010 never has to renew.
>>
>>52233282
Not like it matters, after you get Cisco or higher level certs you won't renew it anyway.
>>
>>52233282
they have to be renewed every 3 years...
>>
>>52233253
So if I study, study, study, then I should pass?

I don't like scanning and cleaning DVDs 40 hours a week but I like teaching music.
>>
>>52233580

Yes.

If you're going for the A+ you don't even need to study that much
>>
>>52230454
Write an IOS fork, that will be programming.
>>
>>52222728
This

I got turned down by my local best buy geeks squad because in the words of the store manager "I'm very qualified, more so than anyone else there, but the geek squad role is more for sales than a support role" "your lack of sales experience troubles me." "You did well in the role plays but we have a few other candidates with more sells experience."

They ended up promoting a chick who was previously one of their cashiers after talking to my buddy who worked there.

Every now and then I hear stories from "current" geek squad employees that say its truly "repair" but they're minority and appear to be lost dugouts that haven't been converted to the new, large and in charge Jew squad.
>>
>>52222030
>>university

LOL wut?

All the ccna courses if you decide to go that route here are taught by local community colleges. Let alone you can easily learn the ccna on your own from self study as long as you don't have adhd.

Same in the previous state I lived in. A state mind you that Republicans hate with a fierce passion and large population.

That's the beauty of IT. You don't need to get yourself into debt with a 40k degree. Anyways, virtually all IT shit outside of management you don't need a degree to learn. Study. Lean on your own. No middle man required unless you want the middle man, and at least most middle mans are more affordable community colleges and not for profit "non profit" universities that waste millions on their football teams and coaches.
>>
>>52223586
Most require certifications now. At least in the three states I've lived in (nv, ca, ut)
>>
>>52230875
I did the same with mine.

I kept getting spam and phishing emails.
>>
>>52223691
Ccent and rhsca myself. Might grab a Microsoft mt cert in windows 10.

Going for my rhcsa first.
>>
Yes and No.

They hold a little more weight in the US though.

Do an entry level MS cert instead.
>>
File: messy.jpg (54 KB, 988x741) Image search: [Google]
messy.jpg
54 KB, 988x741
messy desk master race
>>
>>52224342
>tfw you went through school in the early 00s and they offered nothing even approaching this helpful
>>
>>52220468
I got mine recently. Literally did not study at all. I'm not optimistic about this thjng's value.
>>
>>52236070
It's not meant to be challenging, it's meant as "I know the basics of computers and a third party certified that I do know it and am not bullshitting you" type of cert.
>>
Got it last year during school, it's easy and shit, it will expire by the time Im out of education. Not really planning on renewing it unless I have to.
>>
I take my exam tomorrow bros
hold me
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.