[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get one of these 2nd hand off ebay. Good or bad idea?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Mac Pro.png (303 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Mac Pro.png
303 KB, 512x512
I want to get one of these 2nd hand off ebay.

Good or bad idea?

Pros:

>it's beautiful
>...

Cons:

>??
>>
Got one dual CPU 16 gigs of ram running Debian Linux as my home server now.

It's worth it for fun and tinkering that's about it. Not enough processing power for a modern day Work station
>>
>>52214868
>Not enough processing power for a modern day Work station

What do you use a workstation for? My main computer is still a mid 2010 Macbook Pro.
>>
>>52215133

Saying your main computer is a MBP is irrelevant, what are your computing needs? If all you do is browse /g/ and fap to anime, of course a 2010 MBP is sufficient.

I'm a developer, and run multiple VMs on my machine whilst working. For video editing, your computer would be considered too slow, and I bet I'd even find it too slow for the number of Chrome tabs I have open alongside other applications on my PC.
>>
>>52215133

I'm talking about a G5 powerpc. Not the modern mac pro.
>>
got one here, got it from my work, gutting it atm, willing to build my main pc in it, its super beautiful but imo not worth using that outdated slow system.
>>
>>52214732
If you mean to use it as a case for a PC, go for it if the price is right. I manage to bid a lonely one on eBay for 6 bucks.
>>
>>52215188
Actually I do a bit of video editing on it. Chrome is fine. Everything is fine.
>>
They're too fucking expensive. Like hell I'm going to pay $300 for something that's slower than a Core 2 Duo laptop.
>>
>>52214732
horrible idea

Best bet would to buy the case. Gut it. Install new parts.

But then you're left with a giant fucking apple tower.
>>
>>52214732
me and a friend just took one of these and built a pc inside of it. While it wasn't "hard" it also wasn't "easy". It required much more custom fab work than expected to get it to work, and even after all that, everything mounts upside down. Theres also limited space because you usually have to relocate the power supply.
>>
>>52214732

I have one of these

8 core
16gb Ram
2x 640gb HDD

I used to used it for Pro Tools. Live multitrack recording and then editing with a bunch of VST/Plugins. Shit was a beast. Never had any problems but that was probably 2-3 years ago. Not sure what DAW and plugin tech demands are now. As far as I'm concerned, I will add an SSD for the OS and it will be like brand new again. I loved my Mac, but it was overpriced. Although I have had that thing for 7 years now and it still does everything I need it to do, but I dont run several VMs or do video editing like other guys in the thread. Was really good for audio production though.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.