[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NEET General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 14
File: ktt4TrR.jpg (177 KB, 500x598) Image search: [Google]
ktt4TrR.jpg
177 KB, 500x598
>"Gap Year"
>Neckbeard Recovery
>Teaching yourself tech related skills
>Just taking it one day at a time.

I finally got out of my rut and started doing webdev again. Grunt is super useful. I really feel like I can stand on my own two feet soon.
>>
>>52214399
We believe in you, don't let society hold you down like that, 2016 is the time to rise from desparity.
>>
Good luck anon, we're with you in spirit. Being a NEET is seriously like an addiction to doing nothing productive.
>>
>>52214399
Going to be 5 years soon that I haven't found steady work, I think I'm on application #1237
>>
>>52214427
Actually 2016 is going to be THE worst year ever for you, me and OP.
>>
Wish I could contribute, but I won't be NEET until I graduate.
>>
File: 1450852640803.jpg (21 KB, 266x299) Image search: [Google]
1450852640803.jpg
21 KB, 266x299
>>52214459
Why do you think that?
>>
>>52214472
I just know, m890.
>>
>>52214465
Yeargappers, S A D B O Y S, and the underemployed are allowed to contribute.
>>
File: 1446700482648.jpg (319 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
1446700482648.jpg
319 KB, 3000x1688
>>52214399
apply to McDonalds
>>
>>52214472
It's all bout that 2017
>>
If it makes you neets feel any better, I work full time and hate every second of it.
>>
>>52214656
At least you aren't going insane being stuck at home everyday with nothing to do as you endlessly apply for jobs despite being wholly unemployable due to non existent job experience or social skills.
>>
>>52214399
>>>/r9k/

Fuck off loser.
>>
>>52214399

>I really feel like I can stand on my own two feet soon

nope
dont even bother

there are millions of idiots just like you who are ahead of you and filling every position in life before you ever could

just find something which makes you happy and make friends in your head.
like your own happy little world.

my happy little world is the PC game of darkstone
i just sit there and play it all day
>>
>>52214656
This. Only mooks fall for the work meme.
>>
>>52214692
>as you endlessly apply for jobs despite being wholly unemployable due to non existent job experience or social skills.

Why don't you lie about job experience and get some social skills?
>>
>>52214692
I had that feel when I had no job for 3 Months, at first it feels like really good to have nothing to care about, but then it starts to sink in.

You might have to tweak/build up your portfolio first, just bear in mind that if you keep doing steps, you will progress.
>>
>>52214399
If it makes you feel any better I just retired at 28 and moved out to Montana with my qtpie religious gf who I met out here. We're thinking about getting a yacht and sailing the world after we get our cabin situated out here. It's cold as fuck here though.
>>
File: 20151225_191404-1.jpg (3 MB, 2638x1896) Image search: [Google]
20151225_191404-1.jpg
3 MB, 2638x1896
>tfw got 3 math books + 1 physics for christmas

all my stoner friends keep trying to dissaude me from working and drag me down, but this is the year i get a job, im sure of it
>>
>>52214712
I don't mind being behind others my age. I'm okay with doing me for once. Being too prideful about where I am and what I'm not didn't help me move forward. I started doing much better when I stopped obsessing over my shortcomings and started working to improve them.

>>52214796
Good luck, anon.
>>
>>52214734
I have a job every summer, but that's about it, if work really picks up there they'll take me on as a temp, but that only happens every summer

>>52214719
social skills are not something I can exactly obtain, my brain doesn't worth that way, as far as lying about job experience, I'm not a good liar, so, ya, I have family business experience, and my summer temp job going on 2 years now
>>
>>52214838
>social skills are not something I can exactly obtain, my brain doesn't worth that way

What? You have aspergers?

You can learn social skills... You're not getting any younger and it's not going to get any easier, wtf are you thinking just avoiding the (very important) skills you lack...
>>
>>52214877
>What? You have aspergers?
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>52214838
Social skills are imho a side effect from exercising, since you feel more comfortable in your own body. You learn to accept yourself the way you are and that helps you at keeping high quality work up.

If you push yourself to the maximum at once while exercising, you will push yourself to the maximum at every other part of your life.
>>
>>52214932
I became a lot more socially competent when I started working out. People responded to me better too.

>>52214838
"Just try"

I know every normie and optimist says that, but really, just try. It won't be easy. In fact, "trying" requires you to swallow your pride and embarrass the ever loving shit out of yourself every day. Still, keep throwing yourself on the rocks and eventually you'll have passable social skills.

Like I said in the last thread, I used to be JP tier before I grew out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ltORkYAdVk
>>
>>52214796
I'm going off the assumption you don't have a higher education in math, if you do then do whatever the fuck you want

If you don't, look up free MIT course videos before diving into the thick texts you probably know nothing about. Don't get me wrong, they look like rich resources but unless you understand the subjects fundamentally reading essays and books about some esoteric challenges won't be fulfilling in the slightest

wish you luck m8
>>
>>52214877
I probably have autism yes, It's not like I'm a sperg or anything, but like Casual Conversation escapes me. I usually just sit, answer questions and try to look interested whenever I get the rare job interview.
>>
>>52215115
I'd like to add on to what this anon is saying about trying and embarrassment by letting you know that most people are indeed selfish assholes who will only see you as a springboard to make themselves look better. It's important to distance yourself both physically and mentally from these pricks and be secure and confident in your own actions but still be able to understand when to accept criticism from those who truly want to help you. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people you will meet will not be worth your time to please.
>>
>>52215146
So practice it.

Look, when you have difficulty in a subject you don't just avoid it and hope it never comes up again... right?

Social skills are one of the most crucial and fundamental skills, arguably even more important than your technical skills. Practice, get better, talk to more people.
>>
>>52214427
>2016 is the time to rise from desparity

/pol/ here. it isn't.
>>
>>52215346
see, the thing is I have no idea what goes into social interaction, I don't even know how I managed to get such a large group of friends in high school, I almost never said anything really, mostly just played yugioh and pokemon with them.

From a pure logic stand point I understand what I should be saying and how I should be responding, but as far as normal conversation goes I have nothing in common with normies, so I have nothing to talk about.
>>
>>52215423
> /pol/
hahahahahahahah
>>
>>52215423
>/pol/ here

/pol/ is retarded.

I love the "economic collapse imminent" posts they make with all these graphs and pictures of Jews that never come true.
>>
>>52214656
Nobody said working full time isn't a nice experience you're supposed to love, but it has to be done.
>>
>>52215459
>/mlp/
lol

>>52215471
>implying the world isn't going down the pan
>>
>>52215493
>full time isn't
full time is*
>>
>>52215499
>>implying the world isn't going down the pan

>M-muh refugees!
>M-muh white race

What's the point of complaining about that shit when most people on /pol/ are NEETs or don't plan on getting married/having children?
>>
>>52215535
You could ask the same of /g/ and arguing about consumer technology they will never buy nor be able to afford for the same reason.
>>
File: 1411332229787.jpg (94 KB, 463x469) Image search: [Google]
1411332229787.jpg
94 KB, 463x469
Here's a link for NEETs trying to get a tech job who are worried about their resume:

http://www.portfoliotips.co/your-resume-wont-get-you-hired/

TL;DR dick around working on projects for fun.

>>52215180
Most people have a few asshole tendencies, but most are at least conscious of other people's feelings. It's important to be able to recognize these people, and have the self respect to know better than to put up with their bullshit.

This was the underlying subject of Jessica Jones and it was pretty neat how the show went about it.
>>
>>52215601
All of 4chan is shit desu.

/pol/ is just neckbeards who didn't realize that it's a satirical board.

/g/ is NEETs
>>
Being NEET is a bad yet /comfy/ feel.
What skill can I learn that will guarantee me any shitty tech job if I practice it enough?
>>
>>52215630
I'd say it was 50% people who are anxious about the direction of a world that is rapidly changing and less secure than even they can remember as kids, but are still mostly joking in an edgy gallows humour kind of way.

25% are legitimate nutters.

25% are just there for the banter.
>>
>>52215695
90% of /pol/ used to be satire but then a bunch of newfags from /b/ fell for the b8 and trolling and believed it
>>
>>52214399
I would rather kill myself than be neet again. It's so damn funny to study at a university.
>>
>>52214482
What's a yeargapper? Seriously asking, I have no clue
>>
>>52216282
People who take a year off after/during Uni. They usually have a high chance of falling off the horse and becoming NEETs.
>>
So what do you do and how do you survive, NEETs? Do you all still live with your parents?
>>
Fellow NEET here, deciding for a life change myself, self-studying web dev stuff, many peepz will say its impossible and cant do it, but whatever it is you want to do no matter how behind you are its definitely possible, depends how hard you push through the shit though. I've seen people go from homeless to wealthy, they just believed in themselves, no education or anything. Don't let your dreams be dreams!
>>
I'm a pretty hopeless neet
Let me tell you, girls are not your problem
I have a gf, and I've been talking a lot to(and sexing I guess) a 4chan girl too.
I'm absolutely hopeless, yet I managed this. ">tfw no gf" is just pathetic.
>>
>>52216296
>take year off
>you're now by definition NEET
>>They usually have a high chance of falling off the horse and becoming NEETs.
so yeah.
>>
File: 1416037761794.jpg (68 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1416037761794.jpg
68 KB, 550x550
>be me
>have the knowledge and skills to do a wide range of tech jobs
>working feels like death
>remain NEET
>>
>>52216420
this is a dangerous feel because it teases you into complacency thinking you can just get out of it any time you choose to
I'm about to find out
>>
File: 1446990102822.png (317 KB, 796x712) Image search: [Google]
1446990102822.png
317 KB, 796x712
>>52216443
dealing with other people is truly hell and almost every job is that or entirely that. so it's not something i can just choose to do. then ontop of this i would conflict with tech philosophy, design philosophy, corp culture, startup culture, workplace issues like needing a quiet environment and no retards trying to socialize me for synergy. and so on.
>>
How many years do you give yourself until your eventual suicide?
5 here
>>
>>52216564
at least wait until most of your family is dead man
>>
>>52216564

Going on my 5th year now. Things peaked last year and are getting better feels wise. Society would deem me much worse off though because I'm slightly older and that apparently means a lot.
>>
>>52216361
>Went back to Uni
>Did well for a semester
>Get a gf
>I use her as a distraction from the work I should have been doing
>grades start to slip
>she breaks up with me
>fall off the wagon completely
>now back to square one
>>
>>52216420
So you're just immature.
>>
>>52216564
10, I graduated already, but I doubt anyone would hire me and anytime I attempt to learn something that's outside of my comfort zone I fall flat. Even though I am in the master's thing at my uni I don't know how well I'll do.
>>
>>52216420
>>52216509
is there something specific you don't like about people?
>>
>>52216667
I feel like I'm just a waste of everyone's time and effort. I'm mopey most days and the rare days I am happy it's short lived.
>>
>>52216564
I recently set a date in 2017 but I don't know if I'll go through with it. We'll see how my life goes.
>>
>>52216353
Web development is easy, easier than most things to be honest. Just pick a popular framework in Python, Ruby or PHP and you're set.
>>
If youre a NEET

dont do ingulde in drugs

its gonna be a wild ride
>>
>>52216564
I'm 4 years in and to my surprise the more time it passes and the less money savings I have the less I think about suicide, in fact I'm trying harder than ever to find a job. I think the natural survival instinct has activated for me.
>>
File: 11232541213.jpg (25 KB, 300x301) Image search: [Google]
11232541213.jpg
25 KB, 300x301
>>52214399
Go to the community college/trade school/vocational school and take the associates degree in IT or web development/database management/something like that.

> I assembled my own gaming pc
Welcome aboard, the entry requirements are non-existing.
>>
>>52216739
I'd smoke a lot more weed if I could afford it.
>>52216756
Same, I hit my mid 20s and my brain chemistry just evened out.
>>
>>52216691
I've spent over 20 years alone in a room. This here is my prefered mode of interaction as I can respond if and when I want or just drop discussion altogether when people are rude or retarded.

One thing I find myself repeating is that I have never found one person worthwhile either to know or conversely to help. I did take on a small handful of people as projects in the past which went nowhere.

I have many reasons for disliking people but beyond the ones I can explicitly state I just feel uneasy around others and it burns me out very quickly.
>>
>>52216785
maybe you have social anxiety, senpai. there are pills for that
>>
I have a degree in computer engineering but have been NEETing since graduating last May. How do I best explain this gap?

what kinds of projects do employers for software development like to see on portfolios? like on a scale from fizzbuzz to sentient robots, how complicated should they be?

also, if I wanted to go the sysadmin route, what sorts of qualifications do I need? I know a bit of how to use the linux terminal and general OS concepts, but it's all stuff I learned on my own time (it wasn't covered at all in my degree program), so I'm not confident my knowledge is comprehensive enough to perform well in an interview, or that saying "I know linux" on my resume is enough to get it past HR. should I get a cert or do some sort of project?
>>
>>52216851
it's not anxiety. i had that at one point and learned how to get over it. it's a lack of freedom around others to do as i would by myself. it's awful and corrupting but everyone else seems used to it.
>>
>>52216897
>a lack of freedom around others to do as i would by myself
>it's awful and corrupting but everyone else seems used to it
I think this is basically what everyone thinks in their teenage years and when they get older most just forget about it or find jobs and professions to attempt to change the environment and/or people as they desire
>>
>>52217128
People have little choice in the matter and accept it because they have so many other problems. Then they forget and get used to how things are. They even get mad at others for trying to deviate.

Unfortunately however I don't see this 'everyone in their teenage years does this' scenario being applicable to myself.
>>
>>52216420
same t︂b︂︂h
>>
File: 1435242466398.gif (108 KB, 484x430) Image search: [Google]
1435242466398.gif
108 KB, 484x430
Started at a technical college as year ago and going to actual class at the school where I'll be there the whole day,out of the room I'v lived in for almost 6 years.

Thinking where to go from here and use my cred to transfer to Uni but the investment is steep and because of family issues lets just say it isn't peace time here anymore.
>>
I got a job about 3 months out of uni at a business solutions place and I realize I hate the working world. I just want to quit my job and go back to school desu.
>>
>>52217889

Fortunate for you, then, that you can have a career of sorts in academia.
>>
>>52217889
what's the job and what exactly do you hate about it?
>>
Should I go NEET and kill myself when my savings run out? I keep fucking up at work because I'm so terrible around people and I'd rather not drag everyone down.
>>
File: yoda.png (50 KB, 159x231) Image search: [Google]
yoda.png
50 KB, 159x231
>>52218827
Do it faggot, you can start wagecuck bait threads on /r9k/ to pass the time and feel better about yourself. Then just get a shitty wagecuck job when your shekels run out.
>>
>be NEET for 5 years
>teach myself frontend & backend web dev
>teach myself graphic design
>teach myself audio & video mixing/editing
>now making much more self-employed than any shitty "job" I would have
>do what I want when I want

best thing that ever happened to me, just learn skills while you have free time. don't sit around playing video games and jacking off too much
>>
File: 1451257894473.png (112 KB, 297x282) Image search: [Google]
1451257894473.png
112 KB, 297x282
>>52219277
but shitposting and jacking it to trannies is fun
and learning is boring
>>
>>52219277
>be NEET
>teach myself 3d modelling and graphic design
>still working on audio
>more satisfied with my skills and an empty wallet than I'd ever been working for a paycheck

this is real life
>>
Went from NEET to part time decent paying job and some shit paying freelance writing work. Pull in about $1400 CAD a month and gets lots of free time to fuck about a jerk off. Life's alright i spose.
>>
>>52219277
how do you get to the jobs though?
>>
I make $14cdn/hr at a factory.

Usually do it for a year until I'm sick of everything.

Then I travel and do whatever I want.
>>
>>52214699
That board is cancer and the mods are mad with power
They made it a bannable offense to be female there.
>>
>>52219552
roastie detected
fuck off
>>
>>52219552
Being one of those "Femanons can be foreveralone too!!!!" retards is a bannable offense for a reason you know... It's not funny the first time you claim that you can be just as lonely as guys and it's funny the millionth time ether.
>>
>>52219306
learn what you want to learn fukboi
>>
>>52219368

>$1400 CAD

you're still poor
>>
>>52219730
tfw I have transcended to a desireless being. I have no wants except ramen and netflix.
>>
Anons, I have a associates in computer info systems. Should I just take that and fuck off and keep learning on my own or continue to my bachelors? I have no work experience in IT nor do I have any internships. I have been working in a family business while I sent to school and that makes me pretty decent money. I feel like I haven't learned much at school that I couldn't learn online on my own and itll be costly to finish the bachelors. I have a 3.9 GPA but have no desire to work in a normie 8-5 office job. What do?
>>
>>52214399

Fellow webdev here, never used Grunt though, don't know much about it

I'm currently "between jobs" (quit my last job because I'm a stupid fucking twat). I was a Rails developer and I have bring applying for more Rails jobs but also front end stuff (because I know that quite well) and also PHP stuff (which I am rusty on but like 80% of jobs ask for PHP)

Good luck with everything sir
>>
>>52219914
Fuck me, same here
>>
File: lifethan.jpg (170 KB, 600x445) Image search: [Google]
lifethan.jpg
170 KB, 600x445
I'm going to keep making dank programs for my remaining years using the pure-maidens C and Haskell. If a job opening appears that can use my skills they can show me a non cancerous workplace and I'll consider it. I doubt this will ever happen.
>>
>>52219914
oh, haha no sorry you must be confused. that's not being a desireless being, that's just being a loser. hope that helps.
>>
>>52221202
>buys into the loser meme
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: 1430632107272.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1430632107272.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>52221202
it's both.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.