[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best format to compress
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: usb_cargador.png (250 KB, 800x493) Image search: [Google]
usb_cargador.png
250 KB, 800x493
Good morning /g/. I would like to compress some films in a file and watch them when I want.

What is the best format to compress?
> I've been using .7z and 7zip but if you want to watch a film you have to uncompress all files.

> Wikipedia says .rar is slower than .7z and .zip. And zip don't compress so much like the other ones.
>>
That's not going to work correctly. Movies are already compressed to hell and back so compressing them with rar or 7z doesn't help.
>>
https://ubuntuguru.wordpress.com/2007/03/09/whats-the-best-file-compression-method/
>>
File: compress.png (34 KB, 588x548) Image search: [Google]
compress.png
34 KB, 588x548
>>52208781
I know it, but if you want to have them packed, set a pass, not gonna use those files... you have to compress them.

>>52208817
Thanks, I'll use .zip because I just want to be fast in this way and I don't care very much about size.
>>
>>52208769
nanozip
>>
>>52208917
Dont compress them, retard. Pack them into tar
>>
>>52208917
What format are the videos in? Chances are that they're already compressed and zipping won't do shit. The only alternative then would be to reencode the video with a better format, but you'd lose quality.
>>
>>52208917
You can actually set zero compression if you just want the archive functionality.
>>
>>52208769
Select 'store' instead of 'fast' or 'best: as the compression profile in winrar or 7zip. That should take reasonable amount of time when you take it out of the archive.
>>
>>52208769
Create a true crypt volume and put movies in it. It will be password protected and once you unlock it the files will be just click to play.
>>
>>52209429
truecrypt is insecure and deprecated software. It's not nice of you to trick people into using it.
>>
>>52209537
>insecure
>the only open sourced data encryption software with code reviewed by security professionals.

The op isn't going to store cheese pizza in the volumes anyway so it really doesn't matter.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.