[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is Apple able to sell OS X for a profit when it's based
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 640x1136
How is Apple able to sell OS X for a profit when it's based off Linux which is open source/free?

Isn't that illegal?
>>
>>52208629
But it's not
>>
>>52208629
Oh look, you posted this again.
>>
>>52208629
Apple is based on BSD with elements from NeXT, Mach OS, Xerox and some other shit slapped on top of Darwin kernel. It is 'Unix-Like' but not a spinoff of Linux.

Unix is like a father with many illegitimate children, OSX is one of them.
>>
>>52208629
It is not based off Linux buddy
>>
>>52208667
>It is 'Unix-Like'

No, it's actually UNIX certified. Which for all intents and purposes means that it's an iteration of UNIX, whereas Linux is a knock-off of UNIX.
>>
File: Girls.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>52208629
>This is what linux retards actually believe.
;^)
>>
>>52208680
Almost correct. They pay a fee to AT&T and they're able to use the 'unix' name. Unix is just a worthless paper certification no serious development team will consider using.
>>
>>52208651
>>52208654
>>52208667
>>52208669
>>52208777
>>
>>52208859
lol
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 640x640
>>52208654
Go outside
>>
>>52208629

I sell Ubuntu for 10 bucks per DVD.
>>
>>52208930
Only if you join me.
>>
>>52208847

> just a worthless paper certification
> no serious development team will consider using

lol, ok. you know, you ARE allowed to say "I don't know" on the internet, right? you don't have to make shit up to sound like you're right all the time...

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/apple.htm

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/xym0.htm

> ISO, IEC, IEEE standards
> C programming standards
> POSIX standards
>>
>>52209196
Yes, literally all that says is "I spent thousands of dollars so I can put the official UNIX sticker on this".

Many Linux distros are UNIX compliant, it's just that the devs have better things to do with thousands of dollars than to pay to stick a shitty name on their project.
>>
>>52209212

no. it doesn't. you're literally just wrong.

Linux is not UNIX because it doesn't fully implement all parts of POSIX (like STREAMS) required to meet certification.

YES there is money involved, but that isn't why.

OS X can compile UNIX code because it has a complete implementation of the API. this is why it was able to meet certification. no amount of money would make Linux meet UNIX certification, because (no offense intended) it's a knockoff.
>>
>>52209273
>STREAMS was required for conformance with the Single UNIX Specification versions 1 (UNIX 95) and 2 (UNIX 98), but as a result of the refusal of the BSD and Linux developers to provide STREAMS,[citation needed] was marked as optional for POSIX compliance by the Austin Group in version 3 (UNIX 03). POSIX.1-2008 with TC1 (IEEE Std 1003.1, 2013 edition) has designated STREAMS as 'marked obsolescent'[14][15] meaning that said functionality may be removed in a future version of the specification. However, the specific definition of 'obsolescent' used[16] also says that strictly conforming POSIX applications 'shall not use obsolescent features'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STREAMS
>>
Funny how OS X implements POSIX, but the kernel and default FS aren't made with POSIX in mind and POSIX interfaces are done in user space. Just like in Windows.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.