[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Linux Distros
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: shill2.png (68 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
shill2.png
68 KB, 500x500
What Linux distro does /g/ like

> Before everyone spams gentoo, I'm legitimately curious.
> Ideally something minimalistic sounds good
> Something that resembles Google's design conventions
> Does this exist? Most of the stuff I've seen looks extremely dated
>>
>resembles Google's design
PapyrOS
>>
Install arch for a minimal system and then choose a desktop environment or install a window manager(openbox awesome i3 dwm) and customize it however you like. If you are new, be ready to read lots of documentation.
>>
Manjaro
>>
File: elementary-appcenter.png (769 KB, 1313x898) Image search: [Google]
elementary-appcenter.png
769 KB, 1313x898
elementary is nice
>>
i bet if you spent even a day here, actually reading threads instead of posting like a moron, you could see for yourself. don't read threads like this one, go in threads, look at pictures and see what people are USING.

ps. it's arch or ubuntu
>>
ChromeOS

it's also gentoo
>>
>>52207065
Arch
>Minimalistic
>Google's design conventions
Install GNOME-Shell and rice it

Ironic how Chrome OS is Gentoo but you won't listen
>>
Gentoo.

No really. That's what I use for desktop/laptop use and servers.
>>
When you're done playing around with a Swedish knock off of Minix, you should try actual UNIX and install FreeBSD.
>>
Meme Hat
with fedup, and now dnf-plugin-system-upgrade, I've been running the OS without doing a complete reinstall for 4 years or so
still running nice
>>
Any distro at all is fine, if you want a cool minimalist design then get Openbox and learn to rice it.
>>
>>52207065
>Not Gentoo
K
>Minimalistic
That word doesn't mean what you think it means here. You're going to hear Arch, but you don't want Arch.

Try Chromixium.
Or >>52207242

>>52207253
He said no Gentoo, so ChromeOS is a no-no.
It's also a botnet.

>>52207087
Maybe when it's finished. The Alpha isn't even out. I'm excited though. Seems like it might be my "You only surf the web and use office, and you're dumb enough to get tons of viruses. Then you tell me to fix your computer. Enjoy your linux" OS of choice.
Right now it's Ubuntu, because it's really fucking good for that.
>>
>>52207065
>le ebin everyone posts what OS they use thread

What I can tell you is its not Debian, Arch or Fedora let alone any other minimally used crapware.
>>
>>52207065
Just ricedown the openbox with any distro of choice, I would go for mint.
Or if you lack the time, just get elementary OS, I have it dualbooting on my memepad x220 its nice
>>
>>52207065
PonyOS
>>
>>52207065
I use slackware.
You should too because once you have it finally set up and ready for use, you will have the knowledge to hack satellites.
Ps, no matter what /g/ tell you, we do have package managers......
Even ones that handle dependencies.
>>
File: desk1.png (314 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
desk1.png
314 KB, 1366x768
>>52207065
Noobuntu
>>
>>52207065
I like Mint.

Since it allows proprietary drivers, it just werks from the installation image. Easy to change desktop environments from there on to become a ricer faggot if you so choose.
>>
>>52207242
You can achieve the exact Pantheon DE through Xfce because Pantheon borrowed heavily from Gnome and Xfce in terms of design and slapped on metal finish to mimic Apple. It is literally the cum slut of DE's.

Xfce you don't need a 3rd party dock, all building blocks are built in.
>>
>>52207065
Ubuntu MATE
Fedora GNOME
>>
>>52207698
>Fedora Gnome

literally two of the worst things Linux has to offer.
>>
>>52207675
But you can't achieve the same multitasking view. It's unique even from the way G3 does it. Best part of elementary imo.
>>
>>52207705
I understand why someone wouldn't like GNOME but why hate on Fedora?
>>
>>52207654
Linux noob here - how does your Firefox not look shit?
>>
I use Xbuntu + i3, it almost just werks (needed some googling and tweaking). Had a good Arch install going but for whatever reason matlab didn't work there
>>
Fedora cinnamon
>>
>>52207711
Guys I dont want to make a whole new thread, not OP here but have similiar question.
I want to install something minimal, just web browsing in general, nothing demanding, would be nice if I can play videos and such (so yeah propietary drivers supported).
>the problem is, I have just 900 mb of usb flash drive and no cd for the laptop, so it has to be something small.
>>
>>52207065
Debian
>>
>>52207743
buntu minimal
>>
>>52207721
The yum/dnf is the worst package system I have ever used. Literally nothing works, not even fucking screenfetch is available in the default repos. Luckily it was only on VM, i trashed the installation.

Only apt on Ubuntu is user friendly and has everything available. Adding PPA's is fuck easy because Ubuntu is widely covered by Google search.
>>
>>52207743
Lubuntu is like 780mb on drive I think. You can probably uninstall some programs and install Flash.
>>
>>52207724
Just go to the themes page of Firefox, search for one that you like and install it. There is no magic or custom CSS for my Firefox.
>>
>>52207724
Arc theme. You can install it from the extension store.
>>
>>52207743
Ubuntu Minimal 40mb ISO, unzip it to your flash drive, it will download all required packages. Then select Xubuntu desktop when it comes to the software installation step.
>>
>>52207395
How long does your average weekly update take?
>>
>>52207734
my man,
I am the exact same xbuntu + i3 is comfy af
>>
>>52207242
Try the numix icons with elementary. Very pretty.
>>
>>52207591
Exact same setup. Elementary on X220 in dual boot. Am veering towards a VM for windows though.
>>
M A N J A R O
A
N
J
A
R
O
>>
I thought I would hate Arch until I tried it. Now I’ve had it installed for 3 years with no problems.
>>
>>52208739
Put on your helmet and go sit at the back of the bus before you hurt yourself.
>>
>>52208751
Why is Manjaro hated again? You can use the AUR if you want to. Plus it just werks :^)
>>
>>52207065
Arch Linux.
>>
File: Screenshot__40_.0.png (674 KB, 1400x788) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot__40_.0.png
674 KB, 1400x788
>>52207065
Windows 10, Linux OS's are fucking trash.
>You are a cuck
>>
>>52208820
Windows 10 is the best Linux distro
>>
>>52208831
This fuckin guy.
>>
>>52208751
>>52208773
This.
It's a just werkz version of Arch.
I really love AUR but I just don't have the time to fuck around to keep my OS alive.
>>
>>52207794
>extension store
Did this fucking guy just call it an extensions store. The fuck is an extension store.
>>
e
>>
File: 1318464611.png (23 KB, 500x360) Image search: [Google]
1318464611.png
23 KB, 500x360
>>52208841
>tumblr
>>
>>52207242
No it's not
>>
>>52207065

Debian is nice but SJW madness like ChololateChip and unstable progenitors like Mr. Murdock (RIP) make Arch seem more attractive these days.

If I have to run a server, fuck Fedora, I'm still going with Debian Stable.
>>
>>52211824
murdock wasn't even involved with debian in the last 15 years.
>>
>>52207634
this
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.