[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does Android need to be a better OS? Revamped APIs? A better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: android-logo.png (80 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
android-logo.png
80 KB, 1600x1600
What does Android need to be a better OS? Revamped APIs? A better language? Nicer showcase hardware?
>>
>>52204501
more botnet
>>
>>52204660
There's plenty of that in Google Play Services.
>>
Less bloatware pre-installed on phones. My phone came with like 10 apps of use to fucking no one that took up RAM and CPU resources.
>>
>>52204803
Disable them.
>>
>>52204501
less java pajeet
>>
>>52204814
Well that's what I did (and deleted some bloat system apps too). It's still an inconvenience to have to debloat an android phone every time you get a new one.
>>
>>52204501
OEMs need to quit being huge fucking faggots
Google needs to reign in OEMs, tell them to quit fucking up Android, quit loading the phones full of bullshit, and make them support their devices for a minimum of 1.5 years.
>>
>>52204860
This is actually what I think, as well. Likelihood aside, how capable is Google of pulling this off? Is Android built for this kind of thing to be possible?
>>
>>52204856
I'm with you to a degree. I think it wouldbe better if when you first turn the device on or factory reset it it would give you a list of pre-installed apps you can choose to enable.

I'm not really against the apps coming on the phone, every device with an OS preinstalled comes will applications and some of which will be unwanted by some people. It'd be better if people have the choice from the very beginning rather than having to work out what is extra shit they don't need, or why some app is running in the background even though they have never launched it.
>>
>>52204860
Then buy a Windows Phone.
>>
>>52204999
That's the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot.
>>
>>52204501
Have you considered upgrading to Android 6.0 and stop basing your opinion off of Android 4.0 and below?
>>
Android itself.
I wish Sailfish or BB10 would take off.
WP8 was decent, but W10M is more or less a clone of android.
iOS is too restricted and tap heavy. Apps cost far more than other OSes. Ugly ass Apple logo
Symbian is dead, though the N8/N808 are still excellent "dumb phones.
Firefox OS, aka jitterbug 2.0 is dead
RIP WebOS
Tizen?? Wth is that
Ubuntu Phone has poor hardware and declining intetest.
>>
Less bloat would be nice, it seems every company has their own custom version of android.
Samsung has TouchWiz
Asus has Zen UI
HTC has Sense
It's not that the android versions are all bad, it's just that there are some things that shouldn't be there. Unnecessary apps, pointless optimizations and don't even get started on Phones from China.
>>
File: d9FJT25.png (97 KB, 1019x810) Image search: [Google]
d9FJT25.png
97 KB, 1019x810
>>52205141
http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
>0.5%
Maybe if OEMs got off their fucking asses and actually updated their devices.
>>
>>52205141
I'm already using it. I'm a Nexus 6P user. But I'm also an iPhone 6 Plus user and I see potential not yet reached with the OS, despite the nicer hardware and lax limitations.
>>
>>52205222
meh google play services takes care of that.
and the typical ~2 year upgrade cycle does too

I was thinking about where those ICS, froyo and gingerbread numbers come from.

maybe its all those chink pads that have crappy specs that run the old OS to are responsible for some of those numbers ?

A quick search on aliexpress shows that most tablets run 4.4
>>
>>52204501

Replace Java with C\C++
Make universal recovery process for when SHTF
Implement an easy-to-flash AOSP iso that works on any Android device to get rid of bloatware
Possibly implement full disk encryption
>>
>>52205303
I'll agree with all of this except the encryption part, at least until Google gets their shit together with it. In its current form, it's really not worth the performance tax.
>>
>>52205303
Android is not Java. They ripped off the Java API, big difference.

Minimal performance impact, and diverse hardware support. By removing "Java" you would only have more performance issues than gains.
>>
>>52204501
that fucking fragmentation must be solved
>>
>>52205293
That graph doesn't include the majority of Chinese devices. If it did then there would be more GB percentage than KK lol
>>
>>52205443
Does this seem like a realistic goal? Or does Google really not give a shit?
>>
>>52205030
Google imposing OEM restrictions would be like shooting OEMs in the foot.

Just look at Samsung. They'd rather preinstall Microsoft apps than to make another WP without their launcher.

Excluding Samsung most OEMs have useful/light customizations. Samsung really does need to fix their software as it makes Android look bad.

Having stock Android for the sake of being stock is ridiculous.
>>
>>52205409
Welcome to /g/, where people actually think App devs would clean up their memory manually.
>>
>>52205810
Yeah, and they would unit test across every hardware architecture. XD
>>
>>52204501
Undo and Redo on the keyboard.
>>
>>52204501
Flash gentoo
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.