[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
im trying to take an HD from a laptop out but the screws are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: SCREW-10BK.jpg (6 KB, 395x213) Image search: [Google]
SCREW-10BK.jpg
6 KB, 395x213
im trying to take an HD from a laptop out but the screws are too tight. wat do.. i don't want to corrode the star either :\
>>
>>52203828
Lefty loosey, dumbfuck.
>>
>>52203828
Find a good fitting screwdriver, press into the screw and then try to turn slowly.

Don't half-assedly place the screwdriver into the screw and try to turn, the more pressure you put on the wings, the more chance you have to strip the screw and fuck yourself over.

Try putting a trace (when I say "trace" I mean as little as possible) amount of lubricant around the screws, which should help to loosen them up.
>>
>>52203828
>corrode the star
It's called "stripping"
>>
>>52203828
Never tried it before but apparently if you put a rubber band over the screw then push the screwdriver into it and unscrew it it will work.
>>
>>52203828
>im trying to take an HD from a laptop out but the screws are too tight. wat do
If you need this much help with a screw as well as the English language, my simple advice would be to stop what you are doing. It's pretty clear that you are going to fuck this laptop for ever. Also, pay attention in school.
>>
>>52203862
The screws are so small that if OP tried to put lubricant with some sort of extreme precision lubricant OP would likely get some into the slother and that would for sure cause hin to cam out with the screwdriver.
The first part where you said to press and turn slowly is probably OPS best bet. In case you do end up stripping the screw you have a few options from there.
If I stripped it what I would do is use a very small pair of tounge-and-groove pliers(such as the channel lock 424) and use those to grab onto the head of the screw to turn it. The greater leverage from the pliers should make it easier, thought I don't understand how HD screws would be so tight.
If you truly FUCK yourself by stripping it, you can try a very small screw extractor or very small drill bits and start with the smallest one by drilling the screw. Then go up in size till you have pulverized the screw enough to take out the HD.
>>
>>52203952
*without some sort of extreme precision applicator
>>
>>52203952
Of course drill bits would be totally last option because you run the risk of ruining the threads on the laptop. But if you don't care about the laptop then drill away.
>>
take the screwdriver and heat it up with really hot water or fire

once it's hot, place it over the screw but don't turn it on anything

the heat will transfer to the screw, expanding it and the hole it is in

now that the screwdriver and cool it down, once it's has reached its normal temperature, dip it in ice water to make it as cold as possible (mix ice with salt) make sure the screwdriver is dry

now take the cold screwdriver and place it again on the screw

the cold will transfer to the screw and reduce it's size, it should now be easier to unscrew it

if it's not budging, try it heating it and cooling it again

at this point try to wriggle it, if its
>>
>>52204057
stop telling people to breathe in chlorine gas
>>
File: hddd.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
hddd.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
fucking impossibruuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to unscrew this shit

i might try rubbard band thing but i dont even have one
>>
>>52203828
get a bigger hammer
>>
Head over to a hardware store and grab yourself a pair of ignition pliers. Teeny tiny channel locks. Should be able to grab the head of the screw.
>>
>>52204371
You stripped it mate. When unscrewing you need the right size screwdriver. You also need good technique. When you unscrew push into so the screwdriver so doesn't slip. When the screwdriver slips out that's usually been what strips it in my experience.
>>
>>52203828
>HD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition (HD)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_drive (HDD)
>>
>>52203828
Should have had torx screws. I've been so mad with fucking Philips cock screws I've replaced all screws in my house with torx, best decision ever
>>
use drill
spray wd40
>>
>>52204371
Time to get out the drill.
I'm serious, drill those fukers out, lowest speed, take about 30 minutes per screw.
GJ dick head
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.