[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reverse Engineering General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1
File: meme re.jpg (153 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
meme re.jpg
153 KB, 1024x768
Reverse Engineering general

What is the senpai working on?

Pic related for me tbqh.
>>
Shut the fuck up Joe
>>
>>52203140
That's not very friendly tho, senpai.
>>
apple
>>
Get xylitol in here and upx - d that shit
>>
>>52203376
Did senpai.

I'm just trying to learn tbqh
>>
If you're not using protection, be careful things dont get real.
>>
>>52203659
What if someone used your mom without protection tho
>>
>>52203112
Is it possible to have a RE discussion on /g/? It seems anons on /g/ are only good at setting up Ubuntu in a VM.
>>
>>52203112
bump
>>
>>52204982
>Is it possible to have a RE discussion on /g/? It seems anons on /g/ are only good at setting up Ubuntu in a VM.

Lmao so true.
>>
>>52204982
That's fucking insulting. /g/ is also great at meme spouting and pretending to be in a secret club. Also /g/ is really good at sounder smarter than you, without actually having knowledge
>>
>>52205136
desu.

Literally anything requiring some sort of technical skills gets like <3 relevant replies, more likely meme replies or "interested" "bump" etc posts(indicating people are interested in topic but do not have anything to contribute as they are beginners).
>>
>>52204982
Idk
The only experience I have doing this is when my boss at my unpaid internship asked me to reverse engineer and fix some 10 year old Java app that broke when they changed servers

but it looks like you guys are wanting to talk about asm and lua and I have no idea about re-ing them
>>
Would learning how to hex edit be a valuable skill?
>>
>>52205562
>reverse engineer and fix some 10 year old Java app that broke when they changed servers
So does that involve looking at Java byte code and piecing together the program from there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_bytecode

>>52205593
You should know how to use a hex editor.
>>
>>52205628
>You should know how to use a hex editor.

I guess, but I'm currently reading about offsets and it seems like there is a lot more than just opening up an editor and going to town. This all started when I wanted to verify my MBR.
>>
>>52205657
Depends what you are trying to do specifically. RE is all about trying to detect and pick up on patterns. Nothing will show itself unless you keep poking and being observant. It can be tedious because RE can be a lot of trial and error.
>>
>>52205628
They gave me the .war file for a tomcat app and some of the database entries they recovered from the old server it was hosted on
While thing was a mess and I ended up walking away from it because the version he used to make it didn't support servers with more than 1 core and the database was missing important entries with no documentation about what should be there

While thing was coded by some freelance guy that the state paid 40k to make it, never used it for 10 years, then tried to get me to reverse engineer and fix it for free

That was pretty much my last day there
>>
Where would one start to become a reverse engineer?
>>
ive been unsuccessful with REing game maker studio's compiler so i can decompile games.
>>52205965
https://www.reddit.com/r/ReverseEngineering/comments/hg0fx/a_modest_proposal_absolutely_no_babies_involved/
>>
>>52205657
>I guess, but I'm currently reading about offsets and it seems like there is a lot more than just opening up an editor and going to town

?

It's literally autist tier. Offsets is just the memory address for what you need from the program entry point.

So you just find the offset you need it and change it by using WriteProcessMemory()
>>
How do i reverse engineer the process of reverse engineering?
>>
>>52206268
Open ollydbg in IDA
>>
>>52203112
>>>/v/
>>
>>52206279
Oh right.

Forgot this forum is only for ricing arch linux in VM and posting about thinkpads
>>
>>52206279
/v/ doesn't know shit about hacking. Neither does /g/ but at least it's more on topic here.
>>
>>52206304
we also like "girls" with feminine dicks
>>
>>52205657
>This all started when I wanted to verify my MBR
That has nothing to do with reverse engineering.
>there is a lot more than just opening up an editor and going to town
No shit.
>I'm currently reading about offsets
You should probably get a decent CS education first before trying to reverse engineer anything.
>>
Wait, this is /v/ kids talking about hacking games?
Fuck this then, I thought we could have a nice discussion without gaymen taking over, but I guess it's too much for g
>>
>>52206379
Wat?

No one has mentioned games here though, at least not in a gayming context.
>>
I have some encrypted+compressed save files from a game series that i've been trying to decompress and extract specific readable information form. it works for some of the save files for some of the games, but the compression/encryption method changed on later games and i've been having difficulties figuring out how they are stored with the rest

I've never used IDA, only worked with CE + a hex editor + some c++/python and stuff

can't really contribute much more to this thread since idk what i'm doing sorry senpai
>>
>>52206394
See
>>52206147
>>52206419
kids trying to hack and crack their gaymen
Jesus Christ we really have been overtaken by /v/
>>
>>52206471
exactly why i never post in the RE threads, since i'd be better off talking about it on /v/
i'm only here for the phones and keyboards :)
>>
>>52206471
That's like 80% of reverse-engineering discussion though.

Literally almost all RE forums involve aimbot/wallhacks/other cheats discussions for some shitty vidya.

I guess because it's the most practical and simple to understand use of it.
>>
>>52206471
>>52206500
whiny 'bawww neo/g/ suxx' niggers are the worst. at least the other shit is confined to one thread. you faggots post in every possible place. how about you just hide the thread or something
>>
>>52206471
My intention with reverse engineering GMS' compiler was to easily facilitate modding the games in the future, I fail to see how just because it's related to video games it's somehow not worthy of this thread. would you rather me make up some story about saving the day by reverse engineering a 15 year old legacy program originally meant to run on w95 but managing to get it going on ws2012?
>>
>>52206582
Ignore him senpai.

He does have a good point, we do need a holocaust against videogaymers but your question was normal
>>
>>52205126
Haha yeah.
>>
>>52206777
Literally every thread that I've seen that goes a little past beginner-level into anything technical will have a small handful of people posting either bombarded with beginner questions or dumb memes being posted.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.