[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CS student here. I never understood why we need to learn all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 10
File: 1446059681667.jpg (236 KB, 937x960) Image search: [Google]
1446059681667.jpg
236 KB, 937x960
CS student here. I never understood why we need to learn all this useless shit about turing machines, formal languages and logic. No employer is ever gonna ask about it. Purely academical abstract nonsense of no relevance for our future jobs. Just a waste of time and an unncessary obstacle causing many talented students to fail their CS degrees. Academic wankery at its finest
>>
>>52201488
kill yourself
>>
let n = 1. then p = np.
>>
Why the fuck do I need to learn trigonometry? In the real world of general contracting all I should know is how to hammer in a nail.

You're an idiot.
>>
P=0
>>
OP is somehow right.
Fuck your university pride, faggots.
>>
Thank god I didn't have to prove any gay math shit to get into my med school program.
Thank god the last math course I took was elementary linear algebra where we did almost no proofs.
Thank god there was almost no math on the MCAT.
>>
>>52201488

Because you're doing COMPUTER SCIENCE instead of COMPUTER INFORMATION SYSTEMS.
Those are two different things, if you wanted to get a job as a programmer in a big company, you would've went with a CIS program. You are doing the appropriate things in computer science.
>>
>>52201488
Because CS is applied math. Hence it's not a trade school, it's a degree to do research. Also, I love laughing at fucks that fail out of CS and think they're smart and it's the school's fault.
Pro tip: if you are actually intelligent and talented, then you wouldn't be failing out of classes.
>>
I just want to make games...
>>
the same reason a biology major learns how we discovered the parts of a cell, the same reason physics majors learn basic Newtonian physics, the same reason psychology majors learn about Freud, the same reason literature majors learn Shakespeare... A lot of theory doesn't have anything to do with practical application.

People that see college as a job training program are what led to the downfall of a college degree. It turned from a marker of intellectual curiosity and philosophical competence to a "dur can I apply 4 ur job now I done did the classes" (other socioeconomic issues aside). Don't worry though, it was already ruined before you got to it.
>>
>>52201865
>Because CS is applied math.
cute meme
>>
if P = NP, then that's like saying N isn't imortant, and that's bullying
>>
Computer Science isn't about computers, and it isn't about science either.
>>
it's outstandingly important, say, if IBM hires you to write or modify a compiler....

you dumb turing-test-failing fuck
>>
>>52203218
>tfw you will never need to make a compiler
>>
>>52201488

Problem = No Problem

What do I win?
>>
Just report and move on. I've seen like 5 of these already. /g/ what are you doing?
>>
>>52203199
EKWALITY
>>
>>52203199
i lold
>>
>>52201609
Sort of until you have to figure out an optimal algorithm on how to visit all nodes in the shortest path possible, turns out it's an NP complete problem and there's no efficient algorithm to solve it.
>>
>>52201517
this makes the most sense
>>
>>52201865
What is it then, if not applied math?
>arithmetic proofs
>logic proofs
>algorithm theory
>linear algrebra applied to graphics
What are all those things?
>>
>>52203186
Meant for you >>52204277
>>
Because computer science is a field of mathematics, teaching the shit employers want is categorically not CS.

Mainly though it is because schools are not interested in churning out employees as they are in creating researchers. Universities are research institutions which teach dumb 18 year olds so they have more money to spend on research and more researchers in the future.

Also all the interesting, high-level jobs at Google etc. do require a deep CS knowledge.
>>
>>52201488
you're not cut out to be a computation scientist then.

you'd be more suited for the drudgery of software development, or more specifically, jacking off with chrischan.
>>
>>52201488
then just go to a technical college and get a bachelor of IT
>>52201488
bitches dont know bout NP-problems.
>>
>>52201488
Wow.

I have posted this over the last two days and now cunts begin to acknowledge this problem.

Fucking /g/. Bunch of cunts who steal other topics claiming their ow threads.
>>
>>52203030
you are the reason why games are so shit
>>
>>52203522
finally, someone who isn't a complete shitforbrain
>>
>>52204313
I am doing CS so I can understand complex deep web algorithms and prevent difficult computer attacks on central systems, government systems and ISPs around the world.

The deep web is not government controlled but is a danger to the Internet.
>>
>>52204367
man this never even occurred to me. most people that want to get into gamedev are tarded, thus most people that end up becoming gamedevs are tarded, thus games suck and are buggy and tarded. it all comes full circle.
>>
>>52201488
>not being bait
>not being a NEET or worse, an Information Systems major
>>
>>52204391
you're not doing CS for CS. you should be getting experience in cyber security.

CS is misnomored as "computer" science, and people think it has something to do with electronic automatic computers, when the reality is it should be called
Computational Science
, which deals with how to model algorithms and computations using the best tools available, which at the present time happens to be
electronic automatic computers.
>>
>>52204367
but the bad games are those western big productions like asscreds and the retro indie developers and I'm neither of those...
>>
>>52204432
CS stands for Cyber Security idiot
>>
>>52204391
>>52204432

however, I am a computational science student, with an enthusiasm for InfoSec
>>
>>52201488
Biggest dumb cunt.

First off "we use computers to solve issues"
>Can you solve issues using a language
Yes?

Secondly
>Can this problem be big or managed well enough to not effect the program?

You learn that shit because you use it in complex problem solving.

Do you even know what programming languages do to manage memory?
Why does it need to manage memory problems?
Memory can have complex problems which require a high educated equation that will work out the best way to migrate memory leaks/other and make a working program.

This is bait so I refuse to do any sort of spell checking with this cunt is the dumbest fucking cuck on 4chan today (tm)
>>
>>52201488
It is the same for all degrees. I am close to finishing my Finance degree and I have not learned anything to prepare for my job. I did several internships only to find my education has no relevance in the practical life.

I spent so much money to get a piece of paper for the employers to wipe their arse with. Fucking education system is outdated and professors are dumbass self-centered pricks. They just want to make us miserable for 4 years.

The actual core modules for bachelors degree can be covered easily in 1-2 years time. We spend an extra 2 years to increase our loan debt and satisfy the bullshit criteria.
>>
N = 1 and/or P = 0
>>
>>52204459
I am doing CS with cyber security.

I also want to develop back channels of encrypted text without using library other have made.

It is more to avoid the skiddy botnet. I also like maths.
>>
>>52204481
you got it all wrong. you're misinterpreting the problem. please educate yourself prior to attempting to offer a solution, lest run the risk of making a spectacle out of yourself in front of everyone.
>>
>>52204499
are you at a technical university?
>>
>>52204481
P =1 you retard.

N = unknown
P = is a fucking retard on 4chan named peter.

>Educate your self you fucking black cunt.
>>
>>52204499
>I also want to develop back channels of encrypted text without using library other have made.
lol

way to fundamentally understand the problem... not

It is more to avoid the skiddy botnet. I also like maths.
aww, good for you
>>
>>52204296
Not this guy but CS is pure math. More precisely, the field that studies models of computation.
>>
>>52204502
>thread about the retarded shit they teach in CS
>you insist upon going over said retarded shit
why are you such a retarded shit?
>>
>>52201488
Wow, people really take courses for the sake of getting a job? I'm studying CS because I enjoy it.
>>
>>52204476

holy shit have you people still not realized that university is for learning about the theory side of your degree? That's what college has always been about. If you wanted to go to school for learning on the job stuff they call that vocational college.
>>
>>52204313
>schools are not interested in churning out employees as they are in creating researchers. Universities are research institutions which teach dumb 18 year olds so they have more money to spend on research and more researchers in the future.

that sounds smart.
>>
>>52204518
Hard to say. It allows students to do 4 different majors.

>Networking
>Cyber security
>Maths
>Chemistry (Which is odd for CS)

I would say my UNI just tries to put anything it can into the CS degrees.
It does teach code sighting with encryption algorithms.

Would you say this technical?
>>
File: face.jpg (275 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
face.jpg
275 KB, 1000x1000
>>52204545
bro. you're the one who is categorically incorrect here. ya got it?
>>
>>52204527
Typical cunts on 4chan.

>Has nothing going for them
>Sees someone make a project/personal goal for their education gained by CS
Better LOL at them like a typical underage tumblr/reddit user.

Some of us enjoy educating them selves on how things really work that is considered outside the universities teaching direction.
>>
>>52204561
what's the name of the uni?

if you're getting a bachelors of Computer Science, and not a Bachelors of Science IN Computer Science, then you're going to a technical uni, and the degree isn't as valuable from a research prespective as a BSc, i'm afraid. (i had this same problem, because i'm from teh US, and went to a commonwealth country, applied to a Bachelor of CS program, only to find out it's not a bachelor of science, which is what i need to have)
>>
>>52204600
in the US they don't even offer anything but a bachelor of Science, and everything is just called a Bachelor of (major) because it's either a bachelor of arts, or a bachelor of science.

but in commonweath countries they have this thing calleda Bachelor of Engineering, Bachelor of IT, etc. and they are all basically grown up certification diplomas, not a "real degree", and generally would be lol'd at in the US.
>>
>>52204555
What is the point of learning theory when it cannot be applied to my work? If they explained the theoretical side of working in finance with real time day to day tasks being explained, that would be reasonable.

For me to dig up research papers and dwell into complex mathematics by hand when the companies are using fully automated systems with software to handle book keeping and transactions. MIS is pretty much implemented at every company for generating reports.

These fuckers are out of touch with the industry.
>>
>>52204545
this isnt algebra class, boy.
>>
>>52204600
Swinburne University of technology

http://www.swinburne.edu.au/study/course/bachelor-of-computer-science/cybersecurity-ba-cs/
>>
>>52204624
no, the industry is out of touch with the theory. that's why the industry is degenerating so rapidly.
>>
>>52204619
sure that's why the curries are taking your jobs
>>
>>52204637
yeah, i had the same problem at QUT.

I'm murican, but I was excited when I got into the Bachelor of IT (CS) program, because I thought it was a bachelor of science. now I've gotta apply to UQ to get into their CS BSc before I waste too much money.

I mean, if you want to stay in australia, the degree is fine. Maybe even if you want to work for ASIO or AFP, and you have a lot of skill and experience/talent you'll be alright.
>>
>>52204600
why science with computer science?
>>
>>52204674
the reason I thought it was a BSc is because in the US we don't even have a Bachelor of IT (lolwut), only a bachelor of science in CS or bachelor of science in IT.

didn't even occur to me that it was even possible they were not the same thing, but i digress.
>>
>>52204642
I disagree. We have people with professional certifications who worked in industry being employed to teach Masters students without any academic background. Meanwhile the professors in our university are unable to find jobs in the industry because research based degrees have no value in this market. Everyone wants MBA's who have experience and won't require training because that costs money.

No one gives a fuck if you can publish research papers in Finance.
>>
>>52204691
because i want to into computational science, already have a solid understanding of the fundamentals, and want to advance the theory, which in turn advances the practical applications (i want to tell the smart people who apply it in practical situations why and how they should do so)

I also have a long time interest in hacking, pentesting, and basically cyberwarfare, cyber defense. most jobs require a CS degree as part of the vetting process
>>
>>52204432
>when the reality is it should be called Computational Science
What the hell did you think "compute" in "computer" meant? Electric gaming device?

Back when CS first started, a computer was someone who could do more than two digit arithmetic without fucking up.
>>
>>52204747
I fail to see how I was under any misinterpretations about the meaning of the name.
>>
P = NP / N

What do I win
>>
>>52204787
a dunce cap because this isn't algebra class bro
>>
>>52204775
Because they both mean the same thing?
Computer Science = the science of computation
Computational Science = the science of computation

Except the first is shorter and more commonly used.
>>
>>52204818
except when plebs (read:most of /g/) hear "computer" they think the semi-magical glowing thing they use to use their social networking web applications.
>>
>>52204835
It doesn't matter what the plebs think. They don't have an accurate conception of any scientific or academic discipline, and they never will.
>>
>>52204738
For the hacking side.

I normally keep it to myself since it is like jerking your self off when you tell people you hack but...Simply developing any effective programs which exploits zero day exploits is what will get you to your security job in whatever field you skill in.

If you expose a number of zero days and correctly expose it using the legal system then CS will not compare to the websites/newspapers which report on your find.

As for your further education in CS, that is the correct way to achieve that.

If you go to torrentz and download a hacking payload "Hacking > click size > first one named read me".
You will find some documents I have made that explain the inner working of windows networking socket protocol. I say that since I do not want to directly wish to leave data trails to you.

May you acheieve what you want to get to.
>>
>>52204835
What comput(er)ational science really is
#https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_science#Methods_and_algorithms

Numerical analysis
Application of Taylor series as convergent and asymptotic series
Computing derivatives by Automatic differentiation (AD)
Computing derivatives by finite differences
Graph theoretic suites
High order difference approximations via Taylor series and Richardson extrapolation
Methods of integration on a uniform mesh: rectangle rule (also called midpoint rule), trapezoid rule, Simpson's rule
Runge Kutta method for solving ordinary differential equations
Monte Carlo methods
Molecular dynamics
Linear programming
Branch and cut
Branch and Bound
Numerical linear algebra
Computing the LU factors by Gaussian elimination
Cholesky factorizations
Discrete Fourier transform and applications.
Newton's method
Space mapping
Time stepping methods for dynamical systems
Markov Property
>>
>>52204890
since it is like jerking your self off when you tell people you hack
heh, i agree, and keep it to myself as well.

If you go to torrentz and download a hacking payload "Hacking > click size > first one named read me".

>You will find some documents I have made that explain the inner working of windows networking socket protocol. I say that since I do not want to directly wish to leave data trails to you.

neat, but maybe post it to pastebin? i don't want my ip, or proxy's ip exposed directly to other peers if they're expecting me
>>
>>52204934
oh and thanks for the well wishing too.

i get caught up in the excitement and forget the pleasantries sometimes. i wish you well too, you sound like you'll do something outstanding
>>
>>52201488
>useless
>formal languages and logic
Please tell me this is bait
Learning this makes you a better programmer who is not tied down to a certain language
But oh well, node.js needs more users anyway
>>
>>52204934
not him but just dl on a public wifi if you're that worried
>>
How to tell if you're destined to be a Software Engineer, or a Computational Scientist

SE
Your heroes consist of the likes of
Zuckerberg
Basically the founder of any social app company
You think programming is really hard
You want to hack the gibson for prestige
You want to make games

Computational Science
your heroes are:
Dijkstra, Markov
You understand that computers are just a current tool to utilise to (efficiently?) process algorithms
You like statistics, and have no problem with the calculus
You find math to be enlightening, instead of something to be dreaded
>>
Give me one good reason P != 0, ya smarmy cunts.
>>
>>52205143
because this is not an algebra class, you dimwit
>>
>>52205153
Says who?
>>
>>52205162
Leonhard Euler, ever heard of him?

In computational complexity theory, a decision problem is NP-complete when it is both in NP and NP-hard. The set of NP-complete problems is often denoted by NP-C or NPC. The abbreviation NP refers to "nondeterministic polynomial time".
Although any given solution to an NP-complete problem can be verified quickly (in polynomial time), there is no known efficient way to locate a solution in the first place; indeed, the most notable characteristic of NP-complete problems is that no fast solution to them is known. That is, the time required to solve the problem using any currently known algorithm increases very quickly as the size of the problem grows. As a consequence, determining whether or not it is possible to solve these problems quickly, called the P versus NP problem, is one of the principal unsolved problems in computer science today.
While a method for computing the solutions to NP-complete problems using a reasonable amount of time remains undiscovered, computer scientists and programmers still frequently encounter NP-complete problems. NP-complete problems are often addressed by using heuristic methods and approximation algorithms.
>>
>>52205220
Why is it that whenever theoretical CS is mentioned everyone spouts about P vs NP and not the existence of one-way functions?
>>
>>52205162
Leonhard Euler (15 April 1707 – 18 September 1783) (/ˈɔJlər/ oy-lər;[2] Swiss Standard German [ˈɔJlər] ( listen), German Standard German [ˈɔʏlɐ] ( listen)) was a Swiss mathematician, physicist, astronomer, logician and engineer who made important and influential discoveries in many branches of mathematics like infinitesimal calculus and graph theory while also making pioneering contributions to several branches such as topology and analytic number theory. He also introduced much of the modern mathematical terminology and notation, particularly for mathematical analysis, such as the notion of a mathematical function.[3] He is also known for his work in mechanics, fluid dynamics, optics, astronomy, and music theory.[4]
Euler was one of the most eminent mathematicians of the 18th century, and is held to be one of the greatest in history. He is also widely considered to be the most prolific mathematician of all times. His collected works fill 60 to 80 quarto volumes,[5] more than anybody in the field. He spent most of his adult life in St. Petersburg, Russia, and in Berlin, then the capital of Prussia.
A statement attributed to Pierre-Simon Laplace expresses Euler's influence on mathematics: "Read Euler, read Euler, he is the master of us all."[6][7]

That's Euler. He did that. You just play videogames and post on /g/. How about you get your shit together?
>>
>>52205220
>>52205255
None of your shit was given in the original question. Suck my cock nerds.
>>
N=1
P*1=P
P=P
>>
>>52201553
So N = 0/0.
Nice.

Dumbass.
>>
>>52205277
ok, last time i can safely engage with you without lowering my IQ since you're a walking intelligence black hole.

the responses answer your question, and indeed go beyond the face value of the question and thoroughly explain everything you would need to know, while also prompting you to have an interest in exploring more on your own, thus increasing your knowledge which could potentially lead to an increase in your intelligence.
>>
>>52204899
Computational science
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with computer science.
>>
If N = infinity then P = 0
:^)
>>
>>52205220
Why can't all NP be NP-hard while P!=NP?
>>
>>52201488
>wankery
>>
>>52203218
Ahahaha, working at IBM in 2016. Enjoy poverty.
>>
>>52204664
Yeah because yuropean countries are doing so well in technology relative to the US
>See Silicon Valley.
>>
>>52204697
No they also offer Bachelors of Arts in Computer Science.
>>
Why do these threads attract the shitters who think they're so clever to have mastered basic algebra?

P and NP are sets, not numbers. NP is one constant, not two separate variables.
>>
>>52205433
but a BA is about the same as a "Bachelors of IT" or a bachelors of CS in the US.
>>
>>52205451
>Why do these threads attract the shitters who think they're so clever to have mastered basic algebra?

I'll take /g/ for $300, Alex.
>>
>>52201646
>>52204476

thanks for funding my lab
>>
>>52201488
You sound like a student in my classes.

>talks about how math is useless and he is an awesome programmer
>makes excuses for why his grades are bad while trying to brag on class forums
>>
>>52201488
+1
nothing relevant is ever taught in cs, unless you're lucky enough to be in a class with a prof that actually gives a shit.
>>
>>52206335
you are like the student in this guys class >>52206058

stay mad. the problem is with the science of mathematics, not with you, because you're perfect and a genius
>>
>>52204619
I'm getting a Bachelor of Arts in CS
They do happen, only difference is less math focus and more logic and philosophical focus
>>
>>52205290
Oh lawd, please tell me your trolling
>>
File: computer_science_major.png (99 KB, 561x595) Image search: [Google]
computer_science_major.png
99 KB, 561x595
>>52201488
Please leave.
>>
>>52205277
What are you doing on this board? Are you trolling or are you genuinely this clueless?
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-01-03 at 00.png (166 KB, 1602x1300) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-01-03 at 00.png
166 KB, 1602x1300
>>52204899
Mmmm computational science.

Tfw pretty much dominated my computational physics course because the other students couldn't turn their maths into working code.
>>
>>52201488
I agree OP, some of the shit taught in CS courses is just completely useless to 99% of the students.
>>
>>52207677
your ignorance is showing
>>
>>52207413
he doesn't belong in that course. he picked the wrong course.

programmers: BTFO for being so stupid they can't even pick the correct school course.
>>
File: 911.png (341 KB, 849x952) Image search: [Google]
911.png
341 KB, 849x952
>>52203186
3rd year cs here. Can confirm shit is mostly math and theory. Labs and projects are the few times when we actually code shit. Pic related is what exams and lecture are like much of the time (from data structures/algorithms midterm).

Honestly if you go into cs because you want to learn how to code you're gonna have a rude awakening at some point and probably end up suicidal.
>>
>>52208098
because computer scientists don't need to "learn to kode" because we want to model algorithms mathematically. code is just another tool for modelling those algorithms.

you know those libraries you use? we implement that. but thanks for propping up my department with your tuition, i always appreciate the extra research bux.
>>
If you just want a job, go to trade school. University isn't the start of a career, it's a place of learning and academics.
>>
>>52208098
that is excellent. how could anybody ever implement a system for modelling data structures if it could not be proven?

i mean, if you program, you're basically driving a car without knowing how an engine works.

except it's not a car, or an engine, it's the essence of the universe.
>>
>>52201488
If you didn't want to learn Computer Science, then maybe you should have just gotten some certs and some job experience instead.
>>
If anybody wants to get better at CS, i mean for real,

read this,
https://rob-bell.net/2009/06/a-beginners-guide-to-big-o-notation/

then lurk math.stackechange
>>
>>52208213
and in essence, you want to design, or if you are an engineer, implement algorithms that have a logarithmic nature, so that, the more information they are given to process, the more efficient they run
>>
what if you just want to watch chinese cartoons in a mid-level sysadmin position until retirement?
>>
>>52208181
Totally agree with you. Cs is fuckin cool.
>>
>>52205121
computational science
>if you call an array a set
>if you decide which algorithm to use based on it's O value
>>
>Purely academical abstract nonsense of no relevance for our future jobs.
That's what you get for getting a degree in computer SCIENCE instead of getting an engineering degree or something similar.
>>
>>52204502
fun at parties etc.
>>
>>52207663
You can't dominate if it's not a competition.
>>
>>52208347
aha, what a retard

>implying i can't be argumentative on 4chan, yet have a sociable personality in real life
>>
>>52208365
>implying school isn't a competition
>>
>"logic"
Jesus christ man, without logic formulation why the fuck did you choosing computer science in the first place?
>>
I'm just gonna leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDPHfRuAFnU
>>
>>52204499
>i also like maths

i think you should spend some time on mathematical logic, it would be up your alley
>>
>>52208213
and watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgWTmOyUjtM
>>
>oh look another thread about a question that will earn you a million fucking dollaroos when you solve it
>everyone calling eachother retards because they disagree

never change /g/
>>
>>52210838
stay out of the discussion, since you have no appreciation or understanding of what's being discussed here. you may lurk though.
>>
>>52203655
Are you stupid or do you just not know what p and np refer to?

It's not algebra. Which is why people need to learn this stuff.
>>
>>52203655
if it were that simple, i'm sure someone would have solved it hundreds of years, nay, millennia ago.

we aint doing arithmetic in here
>>
>>52210980
Not him but to everyone who is not a CS autist, that's algebra.
>>
>>52210980
The image asked to "solve it" instead of proving it.
That only makes sense in Algebra.
>>
>>52211096
even if it were, it isn't, because the context is np-completness
>>
>>52201488
Studying IT here not CS, honestly these theoretical and math classess are the best classes imho. Everything is interesting and I like studying it. Every practical class has boring ass assignments that are a pain in the ass to do, you need to put alot of work into them, you learn little and all of them are useless. Although I'm probably getting kicked out this semester since I failed this semester pretty badly.
>>
>>52211141
>Every practical class has boring ass assignments that are a pain in the ass to do, you need to put alot of work into them
Those will be very useful in real life.

>you learn little and all of them are useless
lol

>Although I'm probably getting kicked out this semester since I failed this semester pretty badly.
Yeah, I wonder why.
>>
>>52211180
I meant the assignments are useless. I need to have a point to be motivated to work. I don't mind doing menial stuff as long as I know that the final product will be there. With these assignments I'm making a small hypothetical database for a small hypothetical hotel and I have to make and jam into it a ton of data. I know the skills are useful and I have no problem with learning this stuff it just kills me to do this pointless crap since everything I do might as well get deleted at the end of the semester.
>>
File: 1451784670660.jpg (214 KB, 937x960) Image search: [Google]
1451784670660.jpg
214 KB, 937x960
>>
>>52208289
The problem is retarded HR staff make it mandatory for positions where it has no relevance.
>>
>>52211315
>I don't mind doing menial stuff as long as I know that the final product will be there.

oh, well aren't (You) special, lad?

>With these assignments I'm making a small hypothetical database for a small hypothetical hotel and I have to make and jam into it a ton of data.

I'm doing something easy based on something that is not hard to understand or grasp

>I know the skills are useful
LOL ok, laddie

>I have no problem with learning this stuff it just kills me to do this pointless crap since everything I do might as well get deleted at the end of the semester.

there is no reason to delete knowledge, especially in this age where storage is cheap, basically free.

what, do you have a mental handicap or something?
>>
>>52208152
>University isn't the start of a career, it's a place of learning and academics.

It isn't the 20th century anymore. University is now a place to; get a piece of paper to pass HR screeners, waste money on a useless degree, waste money on an interest based degree, get denied research funding, or have a publisher steal the rights to your research.
>>
>>52211506
just because (You) are presently incapable of understanding something doesn't make it irrelevant
>>
>>52211598
no it isn't. you have it all wrong, and the reason your education is going to be meaningless is because you're using it incorrectly.
>>
>>52201517
not this again please
>>
>>52211338
what if I substitute zero for P
>>
>>52201488
>I never understood why we need to learn all this useless shit about turing machines, formal languages and logic
Being able to demonstrate knowledge on those subjects proves you have a very clear understanding of the complex systems behind them, systems that can be adapted in a variety of ways and open your mind to a whole new method of producing results, which may or may not be more efficient than a method you are comfortable using.

While you may briefly touch upon the programming behind such subjects, that brief study will not provide you with as clear an understanding as studying one possible implementation.
>>
>>52201488
i dont understand why are you even getting a cs degree if all you want to do is be a code monkey
>>
>>52211600
I am not OP, and yes a CS degree is irrelevant for say a SysAdmin job yet many HR staff list it as absolutely mandatory. I am not saying CS is irrelevant, I am saying it is irrelevant to many positions where it is listed as mandatory.
>>
>>52201773
>a CIS program
triggered
>>
>>52211662
cs = bad code monkey anyway
>>
>>52211338
you can't divide by P because P may be 0
>>
>>52208289
Actually, I´m a computer engineer myself and I dealt with this back in college. First 4 semesters was all about calculus, algebra, physics and logic. Then physics turns into electronics and signals and logic turns into data structures and databases.
>>
>>52211695
And assuming it is zero, it thus has no place in the equation and can be divided out to determine the value of N.
>>
>>52211624
Please get back to me how David Beckham studies are relevant to any meaningful career or hold any academic merit. Again this isn't the 20th century where universities were bastions of knowledge, they will teach what ever will sell.

While I agree with you that is what universities should be the reality is many people go to university to get a degree so they can get hired as many employers now filter out candidates without one.
>>
P = NP

Assume P = 0

0 = N * 0

0 = 0

Damn I'm smart
>>
>>52211793
Except you first need to balance the equation. Which would be done by dividing by P.

You only expand the equation once it is balanced.
>>
>>52211818
Okay, so what about

P = NP (/P)

P/P = N (P/P = 1)

1 = N

N = 1
>>
>>52211853
Now we can insert 1 where N was

P = NP

P = 1P
P = P
>>
>>52211100
The real image doesn't say P = NP.

Please go back to autist school.
>>
>>52211853
>>52211869
That's more like it.

Showing working in full is important. Especially seen as the task is to "Solve" the equation, which to me and according to my education, means you must find the value of all parameters and show workings in full.
>>
File: 1451784670661.jpg (227 KB, 937x960) Image search: [Google]
1451784670661.jpg
227 KB, 937x960
>>52211632
>>52211695
>>
>>52211891
So what?
That doesn't make what OP's image says meaningless.
>>
>>52211908
brb mailing this and getting $1.000.000
>>
>>52211999
Don't waste your time. 0 is in R.
>>
>>52211908
it's P E R\{0}
>>
>>52212066
;^)
>>
>>52201488
Even if all it does is filtering retards, it's worth it. This thread is a living proof.
>>
>>52201488
In economics you have to prove 100 year old theories which have only a fraction of relevance for today. Nevertheless you need to know such basic shit to master a discipline. Go hustlin on the street if you dont like it.
>>
File: 1451784670660.jpg (211 KB, 937x960) Image search: [Google]
1451784670660.jpg
211 KB, 937x960
>>
>>52212344
Those are some phat boobs, man.
>>
>>52211315
I'd say it does a pretty good job of kicking out people who're not prepared for the kind of work ethic needed to become competent then.
>>
n^n

Funny how you guys are trying to solve something that most mathematicians, scientists etc. are still trying to solve.
>>
>>52212344
this term duplicates itsself infinitely
>>
>>52214792
Because when presented this way, it has a logical and correct solution.

for P=NP, N=1 is a solution that works in all numerical cases for P.

If however the problem was presented where P stands for Polynomial time and NP stands for Nondeterministic-Polynomial time, well, then it becomes another problem entirely.
>>
>>52204391

Yea bud, I'm totally sure a CS degree is going to prepare you for that.

God you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>52201488
You are fucking retarded, and the reason modern software is so shit.

You ever wonder why a program like grep is so fast? It is because it uses one of those "academic bullshit" provably fast algorithms. Algorithms that, by the way, can't be effectively analyzed without such abstract descriptions.

I bet you would take a job trying to solve the halting problem...
>>
>>52211669
yeah, a true Computational Science, or mathematics degree is virtually irrelevant to anything that is a dead-end job
>>
>>52218193
btw i'm an ex-sysadmin (managed a large uni's network when i was literally still in high school, and for 7 following years) now i have enough money to study what i want
>>
>>52201517
brb emailing my professor and the dean
>>
>>52201517
What if p = 0 and n = 4?
>>
>>52205418
The silicon valley is a good example. It's full of people from not the us, because while the education is good outside of the us, the pay is shit
>>
>>52201488
So why are you studying CS if you're not interested in it?
>>
Because their existence would prove that the complexity classes P and NP are not equal, so why talk about that particular way one might prove P≠NP when you can just talk about the bigger picture.
>>
>>52204624
You'll always be an expendable monkey if you don't understand how the machines are auto magically doing everything. You won't get to build a better machine or even fix it when it breaks. You'll be one step away from having your job consumed by someone that understands the theory and how to model your job.
>>
>>52204818
You're a fucking dumbass.

Computer Science = the science of computation
Computational Science = the application of computational simulation / modelling in the (traditional) sciences

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_Science
>>
>>52218338
this is the reason why instead of focusing on teaching students arithmetic in public school they should focus on mathematical logic instead.

you should be better at mathematical logic than you are at arithmetic based math, because mathematical logic is simpler.
>>
>Go to a University
>Complain that it's not a trade school

Go to a trade school if all you care about is training for employment. Universities exist to educate students, not as training centres.
>>
>>52219198
the reason we have generations of cucks is because their parents (usually their own fathers) were cucks. let me elaborate:

>dad A is at work, has no formal education, but is hard working. expects hard work to equate to success (lol)
>Male B enters with superior theoretical knowledge, and the managers of Dad A concur that this theoretical knowledge could improve the company and instate Male B as the manager of Dad A, usually a few positions removed
>dad A feels cuck'd and gets butthurt.
>dad A complains that to get a "good job" "all you need to have is a piece of paper" without understanding any of the subtitles of anything related to why Male B really got the offer

>Dad A has a life full of feelings of inadequacy which manifest themselves as anger and self loathing, and general yokelness
>Son of Dad A is brought up in this environment and influenced strongly by it
>>
>>52201535
>>52203522
>>52204555
>>52208098
>>52208125
>>52208289
Regarding OP's question: the only non-retarded replies.
>>
>>52219198

Kids today are told that they need a degree in order to get a job from the day they enter school. Nobody goes to college in order to learn, they do it because they're told by everyone that they need a degree if they want anything more than a minimum wage job. 95% of a CS education is useless for a code monkey job, but nobody will hire you without a CS degree. So kids drop tens of thousands of dollars and years of their lives on a piece of paper that says they can have a job now, then enter the workforce with about the same practical training as someone with no degree.

When the education bubble bursts it will be far worse than the real estate bubble. Shit's going to get pretty bad in the next few years.
>>
>>52218193
>yeah, a true Computational Science, or mathematics degree is virtually irrelevant to anything that is a dead-end job

I have both a Mathematics degree and a Computational Science degree. I work as a prop trader made 342k last year.

K E K
E
K
>>
>>52219400
>Mathematics degree and a Computational Science degree

func post {int postNumber, string, comment}
func mahNigga {string "Mah nigga."}

claim = post.comment.claim
if claim = true {
mahNigga();
else { return null}
>>
>>52219346
that's kind of the essence of
>>52219319
>>
>>52204391
im not sure what you were advertised but ...cs doesn't get you that
>>
im a sysadmin making 120k a year and finishing a CS degree.

Surely there is nothing in this degree that would help my day to day tasks (or even the devs i support)..

its more of a computational analysis degree, or maybe informational analysis and computation techniques.

I mean, yes, it would come in handy if i wanted to design a database system from scratch or some statistial learning system.
>>
>>52219707
it would come in handy if you wanted to advance the science that made the fact that your job exists a reality
>>
Things You Need to know

Naive Set Theory
Discrete Logarithms
Axiom of Change
Numerical analysis
Application of Taylor series as convergent and asymptotic series
Computing derivatives by Automatic differentiation (AD)
Computing derivatives by finite differences
Graph theoretic suites
High order difference approximations via Taylor series and Richardson extrapolation
Methods of integration on a uniform mesh: rectangle rule (also called midpoint rule), trapezoid rule, Simpson's rule
Runge Kutta method for solving ordinary differential equations
Monte Carlo methods
Molecular dynamics
Linear programming
Branch and cut
Branch and Bound
Numerical linear algebra
Computing the LU factors by Gaussian elimination
Cholesky factorizations
Discrete Fourier transform and applications.
Newton's method
Space mapping
Time stepping methods for dynamical systems
Markov Property
>>
>>52208098
this was why I switched from CS to Informatics (inb4 meme degree, its not IT).

nobody wants to do proofs for 10 hours straight
>>
>>52220568
>no finite/spectral elements
what?
>>
>>52220683
another beta who couldn't handle CS.
take a ticket and stand in the unemployment line, faggot.
>>
>>52220683
>CS to Informatics
I thought CS was just the retarded American name for informatics.
>>
>>52221454
I assumed the same since it is in some European countries (France, Elsass and Germany at least).
Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.